Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Helith posted:

(looking at you Eucalypts)
Eucalypts are :black101: as hell. "Just going to burn down my town so my kids can reign in the ashed wastelands after."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-science-of-bushfires-is-settled-part-2- posted:

"In fact, natural selection has seemingly led to eucalypts actively cultivating fire because they now have very waxy, oily flammable leaves, which they are constantly shedding to accumulate beds of fire-fuelling litter at their base, and peeling bark that flies through the air as lit tapers to start new fires many kilometres ahead. The Blue Mountains west of Sydney are so-named because the oil in the eucalypts along the mountain range is constantly evaporating and creating a blue haze.

Eucalypts are essentially fire-fuelling incinerators that generate so much heat when they catch fire that when one burns its radiant heat evaporates the oils in the neighbouring eucalypts creating a flammable gas which ignites as a fireball, and so the crowns of the trees explode with fire one after the other, triggering a ‘crown fire’—a wave of exploding eucalypt canopies that race through the Australian bush like a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they planted poo poo tons of them in california and they turned out to be complete garbage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus#North_America

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Growers are planting many acres of eucalyptus in Florida for pulpwood now that the huanglongbing bacterium has spread unchecked in the state and made it a citrus dead zone.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I look forward to seeing news reports of Florida’s fire season

So this happened in NSW today

https://twitter.com/bom_nsw/status/1443469273763037186?s=21

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

hifi posted:

they planted poo poo tons of them in california and they turned out to be complete garbage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus#North_America

portugal is full of that grey garbage too, it's basically the bitcoin of trees

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Some footage of the tornado near Bathurst NSW today

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-30/nsw-tornado-injures-three-people-and-destroys-properties/100504728

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The fires are natural and we should let them happen because this one tree does good is the most boomer-brained wishful take on wild fires I could possibly imagine. Just hilarious. We still have thousands of homeless years later from the last fire, but because this tree is waxy it's all natural folks, just relax. The fires have always happened, just relax.

*I have not read the spectator before, but this is some funny poo poo, it's like a british version of the onion but for rich people:

spectator.co.uk posted:

The road haulage firms need to become accustomed to paying a decent rate for the job, to start with. Next, young people with the IQ of lichen must somehow be convinced that a salary of £70,000 per year is preferable to paying £30,000 to gain a pointless degree in gender studies at somewhere that once trained useless teachers and has now been dignified with the title ‘university’.And finally, they need to learn a whole gamut of skills to be an HGV driver: how to time their overtaking on a dual carriageway so that it coincides with an uphill gradient and therefore takes them 25 minutes to complete, thus ensuring the maximum inconvenience for a hundred cars behind them.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Sep 30, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Eucalypts are :black101: as hell. "Just going to burn down my town so my kids can reign in the ashed wastelands after."

I told you I was hardcore...

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Laterite posted:

UPDATE: Woman Accused of Starting Fawn Fire Was Attempting To Boil Bear Urine to Drink

"Souverneva had been hiking to Canada on September 22 and was seen in the Mountain Gate community in Northern California, according to a narrative written by a Cal Fire officer. She was told she couldn’t be on the property by quarry employees, but kept walking.

She then became thirsty and found a puddle of water in a dry creek bed, but the water allegedly had bear urine in it so she tried to filter the water with a tea bag, the officer said.

“She said that didn’t work so she attempted to make a fire to boil the water. She stated it was too wet for the fire to start. She said she drank the water anyway and then continued walking uphill from the creek bed,” the complaint read.

Souverneva got stuck in brush and called the fire department, the complaint read. She was evaluated for dehydration and then questioned by Cal Fire authorities when she allegedly told them she tried to light a fire. Souverneva was taken into custody."

:thunk:

Yeah I’ve been paying attention to this one because my gut tells me they’re mostly just trying to pin it on this crazy woman as an easy scapegoat that’s not an electrical utility

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

The fires are natural and we should let them happen because this one tree does good is the most boomer-brained wishful take on wild fires I could possibly imagine. Just hilarious. We still have thousands of homeless years later from the last fire, but because this tree is waxy it's all natural folks, just relax. The fires have always happened, just relax.

*I have not read the spectator before, but this is some funny poo poo, it's like a british version of the onion but for rich people:

Username checks out...

Problem is, you can't stop forest fires from happening, and the longer you go between the greater the fuel load in the ground which means the hotter the fire, which means it will burn more and in a wider area due to the increased energy, which leads to self perpetuating fires from ember fall and lightning strikes from pyrocumulus clouds.

Regular fires keeps the amount of fuel on the ground in low so when a fire does start, there's less chance of it going out of control and if it does, there usually isn't enough fuel to create a big self sustaining blaze. They also become much easier to fight and extinguish, or failing that, easier to "steer" with controled burns and such away from populated areas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

in the 1850s there was like a 10 square mile lava lake and it sounded super rad, I hope we get that again

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
no more loving hurricanes I guess huh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radirot posted:

Sam is still out in the mid-Atlantic as a Cat 4 but not much other than that

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

das hipster posted:

Username checks out...

Problem is, you can't stop forest fires from happening, and the longer you go between the greater the fuel load in the ground which means the hotter the fire, which means it will burn more and in a wider area due to the increased energy, which leads to self perpetuating fires from ember fall and lightning strikes from pyrocumulus clouds.

Regular fires keeps the amount of fuel on the ground in low so when a fire does start, there's less chance of it going out of control and if it does, there usually isn't enough fuel to create a big self sustaining blaze. They also become much easier to fight and extinguish, or failing that, easier to "steer" with controled burns and such away from populated areas.

To expand on this, in areas with normal, non-explosive trees, regular fires are also less destructive to the environment because they tend to be brush fires that clear up the forest floor rather than total incineration of thousands of miles of forest like we've been seeing in CA and OR.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Also not enough raking.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Radirot posted:

still two more months of hurricane season left in the year

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

We have Victor but it looks like it'll just be a fish spinner as well.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Vernii posted:

To expand on this, in areas with normal, non-explosive trees, regular fires are also less destructive to the environment because they tend to be brush fires that clear up the forest floor rather than total incineration of thousands of miles of forest like we've been seeing in CA and OR.

That's a very good point. Most large trees can survive moderate fires, which allows for a much faster recovery. Once it gets hot enough to kill the trees though, recovery takes a very long time, and usually results in major environmental damage. Lack of ground cover to protect soils, and roots to retain it leads to greatly increased erosion, landslides, nutrient leeching, and a whole bunch of other ill effects.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have not read the spectator before, but this is some funny poo poo, it's like a british version of the onion but for rich people

Unfortunately the Spectator is completely serious and extremely fascist. See, for example, their infamous article "in defence of the Wehrmacht".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

Also not enough raking.

I mean, the way he said it was his typical word salad but his point was valid.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AEMET_Izana/status/1444404845084127242

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

latest crime pays botany doesnt episode is in south africa and touches on reproduction by fire (hope its time-stamped to 1:53)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6IaXr5ZHo&t=113s

dont rake and clean it; set it on fire!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
iirc there was some specific wildfire that caused the u.s. forestry service to adopt a nation wide all-forest-fires-are-bad type of approach bc it killed a lot of (white) people and their property

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stone soup posted:

iirc there was some specific wildfire that caused the u.s. forestry service to adopt a nation wide all-forest-fires-are-bad type of approach bc it killed a lot of (white) people and their property

it was in wisconsin in the 1800s iirc some goon posted about it recently. started at exactly the same time as the chicago fire too lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wow that was in 1871
happy 150 years next week!

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Real hurthling! posted:

it was in wisconsin in the 1800s iirc some goon posted about it recently. started at exactly the same time as the chicago fire too lol

The Peshtigo Fire, a couple thousand dead on either side of Green bay.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

can someone repost the bo burnham weather tiktok i've been looking for it for like a day and i know one of you degenerates has it saved

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Wolfy posted:

can someone repost the bo burnham weather tiktok i've been looking for it for like a day and i know one of you degenerates has it saved

https://www.tiktok.com/@fruitydinobite/video/7003958882032766213

enjoy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/bhensonweather/status/1444369545657937921?s=19

:rubby:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
it would be pretty grand if changing weather patterns makes the middle east green (again?)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ive long wanted to see big wintertime waves at a beach in hawaii and also see some good erupting. ideally maybe I can surf a huge wave into a pool of lava and be done.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bulgakov posted:

ive long wanted to see big wintertime waves at a beach in hawaii and also see some good erupting. ideally maybe I can surf a huge wave into a pool of lava and be done.

if u plan it right maybe u can surf the ocean wave onto a converging lava wave and then up the volcano where u do a sick flip through all the noxious gasses

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Bulgakov posted:

maybe I can surf a huge wave into a pool of lava and be done.

You would be quite well done.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

Inshaloha

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

flash flooding water in desert is good

feller
Jul 5, 2006

if it worked for egypt then surely it will work for the people that weren't expecting it and aren't prepared

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maybe the storms will bring a few feet of fertile soil too