Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my favorite driving was in japan where there are "two lane" roads between buildings where you both have to fold in your side mirrors to fit if there is a car coming the other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
bad snipe, cars BAD

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

my favorite driving was in japan where there are "two lane" roads between buildings where you both have to fold in your side mirrors to fit if there is a car coming the other way

my friend in mexico showed me the local driving culture which is when the sun sets you buy a twelve-pack of modelo and slam it while driving

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/artistgardener/status/1444522607290761224

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

yes!! I grew up in central connecticut and dunkin is basically the only "culture." when I was younger & working part time jobs in high school, it was probably 50/50 inside customers / drive-thru customers. Now, when I go back to visit for holidays and whatnot, it's 100% drive through, not a single soul goes inside, which is especially weird because the drive through line moves at a snail's pace

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but CT specifically is one of the most car-poisoned states. quality of life completely obliterated by NY and MA through-traffic, yet too cowardly to put tolls on the highways because the word "tolls" makes drivers mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IXyujNbVE

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the dad of one of the kids on my high school soccer team owned a dunkin franchise and we would always go get the donuts they were throwing away after practice. it owned.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it’s not weird to not want to drive or own a car but it is kinda weird to not want to be able to drive. it’s a pretty useful life skill in contemporary society

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.theonion.com/daily-spin-class-only-thing-keeping-mom-from-driving-ca-1819576926

bikes save lives

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

it’s not weird to not want to drive or own a car but it is kinda weird to not want to be able to drive. it’s a pretty useful life skill in contemporary society

Yeah those extreme weather events are becoming increasingly useful

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i can't find it but years back when i was fresh out of undergrad, i saw a single tweet that made my daily life from that point forward completely unbearable by bringing a substantial portion of it horrifically into focus. it went something like

"ah, another day of work! time to sit in my office chair all day before hopping in my car chair to get back to my house chair"

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Sheriff Pscyho of Smokin’ Shamokin lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

indigi posted:

No its not weird at all, you just have car brain and need to sort it out.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Vomik posted:

this thread is gonna abolish parking minima, produce missing middle housing, rapid transit and dedicated cycleways

:hmmyes:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

jaywalking isn't real

its also a slur

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

jaywalking to the polls

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chicago drivers are insane

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
humans arent equipped to handle driving in ubuiqity. Most people just can't really consider the risk and be safe in what is seemingly a mundane activity. In my state dying in a car accident is the highest cause of death for people 16-20 and giving them all cars feels like putting everyone in their own airplane

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
one topic the thread hasn't even broached: the olds. my parents and my wife's parents, despite not being super old yet (late 60s), already drive so badly it's insane... never signaling, just drifting from lane to lane without looking, merging without looking, etc... it's only by luck that they haven't been vaporized on the highway.

the only solution is getting them out of the suburbs and into walkable communities. but unfortunately they'd literally rather die than give up driving because the older they get, the more stubborn they get

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Oct 4, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if it continues to exist in some fashion driving should be limited to people between 25 and 60

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Polo-Rican posted:

one topic the thread hasn't even broached: the olds. my parents and my wife's parents, despite not being super old yet (late 60s), already drive so badly it's insane... never signaling, just drifting from lane to lane without looking, merging without looking, etc... it's only by luck that they haven't been vaporized on the highway.

the only solution is getting them out of the suburbs and into walkable communities. but unfortunately they'd literally rather die than give up driving because the older they get, the more stubborn they get

Take away the drivers license of everyone over 65
Take away the drivers license of everyone under 65 too

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Vomik posted:

that’s nj transit and metro north - which are street level

there's still too few subways in nyc for last-block transit unless you're right at a station. ban cars and dedicate the streets to walkspaces and busses and start finding the lost tram lines and putting them back in service

tons of them are still there, just with a few layers of asphalt on top for almighty car. they keep showing up when the asphalt detereorates lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wild In The Streets got it right: put everyone over 30 on acid 24/7 and throw them in concentration camps

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Suplex Liberace posted:

No its not weird at all, you just have car brain and need to sort it out.

yeah i can see wanting to use a small golfcart pickup (they're adorbs lol) or something if you have a hobby with heavy or ungainly stuff to carry around but a car? i loving hate driving car, maintaining car, huffing gas fumes every few weeks when car needs to be filled up, oil changes for car, saying "gently caress you, no" to the dozen different fake filters they try to upcharge you on because car, watching for drunks in cars, watching for speeders in cars, watching for speeding drunks in cars if you're on the road at the wrong hour, parking car, remembering where you parked car, dealing with car traffic, short yellows with cameras trying to trick you into paying $250 for having a car, not murdering animals or cyclists in bike gutters with your car, or wasting my life sitting in a car with 10,000 other people alone in their cars in a 14 lane heat-baked hellscape for 2 hours a day

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
everybody should listen to pleasure principle by gary numan in its entirety

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i loving hate morons who cause and perpetuate traffic jams, and i love breaking them up by just slowing down and opening a giant gap so i can stay at a steady speed and let traffic resume. no more wave baby.

especially love (fully unironically keep honking moron lmfao) when the guys behind me seethe that im not tailing the rear end of the guy ahead of me, as that guy brakes every 3 seconds while i cruise along far behind him. no more traffic jam and all it takes is one person with an iota of patience.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
cars are loving stupid

are there ever train jams

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

are there ever train jams
yes, but mostly only when cars are involved

sometiems underground trains back up when there's a problem ahead

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow. if i ever have to be anywhere near shamokin please jam a frag in my mouth and blow my loving head clean off then tie my feet to the bumper of a semi tractor and drag my body in the opposite direction

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Minrad posted:

i loving hate morons who cause and perpetuate traffic jams, and i love breaking them up by just slowing down and opening a giant gap so i can stay at a steady speed and let traffic resume. no more wave baby.

especially love (fully unironically keep honking moron lmfao) when the guys behind me seethe that im not tailing the rear end of the guy ahead of me, as that guy brakes every 3 seconds while i cruise along far behind him. no more traffic jam and all it takes is one person with an iota of patience.

There's also galaxy brain tailgaters who thinks they can overtake the guy in front if they keep doing what they do, instead of switching to the empty lane beside.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Harik posted:

yeah i can see wanting to use a small golfcart pickup (they're adorbs lol) or something if you have a hobby with heavy or ungainly stuff to carry around

that would necessitate knowing how to drive, which was my point

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

lol yeah the coming epidemic of old people who have aged out of being able to drive safely, trapped in their remote and unwalkable suburbs... its not gonna be good.

my mom is in pretty good health right now but we have already talked about merging households because she likes driving less and less every day. thankfully she is open to this. i dont exactly live in a walkable neighborhood but at least my wife and i can drive her around in exchange for free childcare.

my in-laws live in, like, the worst possible place. it takes ten minutes to get out of their subdivision and then another five minutes of driving through empty fields of grass before they can even get to a grocery store or pharmacy. they're still relatively young but drat, not a good place to grow old in.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my in-laws live in a surprisingly walkable small town, but will never walk the 5 mins to the grocery store. they prefer to drive 40 minutes into the city Costco. meanwhile, my wife’s 95-year old Grandmother, in the same small town, is still driving every day. we once found out she’d been driving without brake fluid.

you can take people out of the car culture, but you’ll never take the car culture out of the people. unfortunately years of car dependency have rendered them unable to walk safely for more than a few minutes.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Chicago drivers are insane

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Minrad posted:

you could get shot for not driving aggressively enough

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol one time i was driving home from the store, coming down the street i live in, i saw somebody pull out of a driveway, go down like four houses, and pull into that driveway and get out of their car. absolutely insane car brain, like the distance traveled was hardly enough to get that vehicle going faster than walking speed probably.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

why don't cars have some sort of limiter that prevents them from going over 80mph or whatever? like yeah you can still speed on most roads and accelerate like a jerk, but the crazy people going 100+ past me on the highway should not even be possible. our solution for this is having cops set up sneaky traps all over the roads, presumably to maximize the number dangerous traffic stops I guess.

there is no horse power or speed limit on any car??? the only thing stopping people from driving around at 260 mph with bugatti veyrons is the money, it's insane.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its called a governor and its bullshit and is responsible for one semi truck going 64.78 mph passing another truck going 64.52 mph where it takes 25 minutes for the pass to complete on a 2 lane interstate

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

isnt the eu trying to get speed governors but in cars? good initiative imo they should do it, and also they should be everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Same size bed