Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nocheez posted:

I still remember my dad's first foray into buying RAM for our PC. It had 4x1mb chips, and there were 8 slots. He got a screaming 50% off deal on RAM, only $50/1mb so we doubled it to 8mb for the low, low cost of $200.

The 8kb (yes, kilobytes) RAM expansion for our VIC-20 was $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.pcgamer.com/dutch-legend-has-been-running-his-campsite-since-1986-using-an-atari-st/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LxPEz9x2fs

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Lowen SoDium posted:

I actually got a Zune from that MS site as well. I used it for a few year, it was pretty nice actually. I honestly think that everyone who poo poo on the Zune had never used one.

Same, I loved my Zune. It just had the misfortune of being released during the era where owning something not made by Apple made you some sort of cultural dunce

Their subscription plan in particular was ahead of its time- all the ad free access to their entire library you wanted, plus you could keep 10 completely drm free songs a month. I think I might still have some songs I got from that plan kicking around on my hard drive somewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the Zune pass was a really good deal, I remember my brother got a couple of really good albums off of that. I didn't subscribe because I didn't have a Zune.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The databits channel has the stuff Techmoan misses sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kV-cR72SMk

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I ended up giving the Zune away, having never opened the box. Kind of wish I'd kept it so I could post it in this thread.
I had a Zune for a while after my previous MP3 player (some Creative brick thing I liked) died and Zunes were on sale at Fry's.

It played music, I do not remember having much of an impression about it either positive or negative. I plugged it into my car's aux jack and it played music through the speakers, which is what I needed it for.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'd imagine WMA files contributed to the Zune's failure.

Hey, remember WMA/WMV?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
This thread continually makes me want to buy things. I've been looking at DAT Walkmans (walkmen?) which I obviously don't need.

Relatedly-ish, are there any tiny mp3 players like the sansa clip which are still available and have preferably a micro SD slot and maybe Bluetooth for headphones (not absolutely required!)? My other half wants something maybe for Christmas so that they don't have to use their phone for this sort of thing. Seems obsolete enough to ask here, but if there a different thread I should use then I'm happy to be pointed there instead :)
Thanks obsolete goons!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

legooolas posted:

This thread continually makes me want to buy things. I've been looking at DAT Walkmans (walkmen?) which I obviously don't need.

Relatedly-ish, are there any tiny mp3 players like the sansa clip which are still available and have preferably a micro SD slot and maybe Bluetooth for headphones (not absolutely required!)? My other half wants something maybe for Christmas so that they don't have to use their phone for this sort of thing. Seems obsolete enough to ask here, but if there a different thread I should use then I'm happy to be pointed there instead :)
Thanks obsolete goons!

I still have a Sandisk Sansa with a micro SD card slot in it. I let my 3-year old play with it on car trips, with special kids headphones that don't get too loud.

It will never die.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Hey, remember WMA/WMV?

I do. When I decided to sell all my CDs and go all-in on digital, I ripped all my CDs first - to WMA. :negative:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FilthyImp posted:

Remember Vista? Vista, guys... remember?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

it was genuinely bafflingly bad. I don't even remember what about it was bad

Nobody does and many of the complaints I heard at the time were either baby ducks quacking or people who read something stupid and repeated it as fact (my sister-in-law kept swearing to me that it would automatically delete all of your illegally downloaded music among other idiotic things).

Vista does have the distinction of being the only version of Windows I ever went to a store and bought a boxed copy of.

Lurking Haro posted:

Hey, remember WMA/WMV?

It's more the death of Personal Media Players that killed it off than anything. I owned two Zunes and never once used or was encouraged to use WMA.

Also I'm sad the Zune software was discontinued because it was by far better than Windows Media Player, iTunes, or Groove Music.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lossless WMA existed and many cheapo mp3 players you wouldn't expect it from could play them back. There's a bit of useless knowledge for you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
20 years ago when a 1GB HDD was "huge" it seemed like it made a difference what bitrate things got encoded at, and I think I was under the impression at the time that WMA offered a slightly smaller overall file size for a given level of quality as compared to MP3.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ah, the days of easily-exploited prize sites. I don't remember the exact mechanic of it, but sometime back in early 2008 there was a Pepsi site that had a similar weakness. I got a stack of CDs, a pair of headphones, and I think a Zune because I was running out of interesting things on the site (the prizes were very limited).

It wasn't even that long ago (maybe...8 years?) that I got essentially a free PS4 just from running several of those "watch videos for free points!" on old phones, tablets, and laptops. I think at the peak I had 5 old phones, 2 laptops, and a tablet running things like Swagbucks and...gently caress, I don't even remember the name of the other one that was more "mobile" based, but combined with a couple accounts doing those" Bing searches earn you points!" as well, I slowly but surely kept collecting enough points to keep cashing in for $5 Amazon GCs* and keep saving them till I had like $500 to get a PS4, a game (I want to say Uncharted 3?) and a bigger hard drive for it.

*Most of those places either didn't offer any sort of discount for larger Gift Cards, or if they did I felt it wasn't worth it since my account could easily get terminated at any time, so I cashed out when I could.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Vista does have the distinction of being the only version of Windows I ever went to a store and bought a boxed copy of.

For me it's OS/2 Warp 3 "blue box".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

legooolas posted:

Thanks obsolete goons!

I've had a SanDisk Clip Jam for several years now. It lasts forever on a charge, takes a microSD, and even does pretty good with audiobooks (there's a separate folder & UI interface for books. I listened to the entire LotR trilogy on it)

They're $30 on Amazon. There's a Bluetooth version (Clip Sport Plus) for $40, but I imagine the addition of BT tends to hurt the battery life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lurking Haro posted:

Hey, remember WMA/WMV?

For millions of years
In millions of homes
We all had a file
That everyone owned

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

legooolas posted:

Relatedly-ish, are there any tiny mp3 players like the sansa clip which are still available and have preferably a micro SD slot and maybe Bluetooth for headphones (not absolutely required!)?
I might look around on AliExpress. I know there used to be nice over-ear headphones with SD slots (possibly also noise-cancelling), which might also do the trick if they're not committed to a particular set of earbuds.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've had a SanDisk Clip Jam for several years now. It lasts forever on a charge, takes a microSD, and even does pretty good with audiobooks (there's a separate folder & UI interface for books. I listened to the entire LotR trilogy on it)

They're $30 on Amazon. There's a Bluetooth version (Clip Sport Plus) for $40, but I imagine the addition of BT tends to hurt the battery life.

I loved my SanDisk, but it met its demise in the washing machine. The SD card survived unscathed. When I was checking Amazon for another, the one feature I needed, a recorder, made them almost impossible to find for cheap. Ended up with a Victure, which is a pretty good player in the same $30-$40 price range. Battery life's very good and it has Bluetooth as well.

Unrelated, I'm still hanging on to my Dad's childhood radio, a leather case Zenith. I've never attempted to fix it up.

Not my photos. Dad used his enough that the handle is pretty much completely thick layers of tape.

Its guts, if it was still in working order.

Roughly $316 in today's money!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

legooolas posted:

I've had two. They are so complicated and fragile that a vintage luxury chronograph is like a Toyota truck in comparison. I never managed to get them to work consistently well, there was always some new issue popping up.

One of them used 4 AA batteries, and that was enough to play a 60 minute tape, rewind it, and play it again. Then they were all empty.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Walksman.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The DAT format doesn't interest me, but I wouldn't say no to a regular cassette walkman in nice shape. But they go for a lot of $$$ nowadays.

I also wondered, was the DAT strictly neccessary for digital tape audio, I used to store digital data on classic cassettes for my SVI 728, it's just the reader hardware that needs be capable to reading and writing digital signals from/to the tape and that technology existed. I had been wondering if that might not have been a better way to go, use the same format, make the digital players backwards compatible too so they could read older analog cassettes. Easier for the public to switch over, maybe get a little more life out of the cassette format. And you would be able to record music digitally then which wasn't something you could do with a CD at the time, at a reasonable cost anyway. I guess though that's what the manufacturers where afraid of, the public couldn't be allowed to copy digital music that easily. Maybe the DAT adressed that in some way?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

bitrate on audio cassette is very low, they're relatively crackly so the analog audio has to be slow and redundant

it's kind of the same principle as an analog internet signal over telephone line vs cable

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

e: nvm

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Peanut Butler posted:

bitrate on audio cassette is very low, they're relatively crackly so the analog audio has to be slow and redundant

it's kind of the same principle as an analog internet signal over telephone line vs cable
Yeah, and the cassette bitrate on most early 8 bit micros is low enough that if you're familiar with the noises a 56k modem that'll make the cassette audio sounds slow. Like if I say "56k modem connecting" and that evokes a sound in your head, if you try listening to something like a TRS-80 Model I cassette--250 baud--it'll sound like it's been slowed down.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For me it's OS/2 Warp 3 "blue box".

I think I still have a couple of those, still wrapped in cellophane. I remember buying Windows 95 retail and Windows 2000 retail. I still have the laptop bag with the Win2K logo on it that they gave me as a freebie.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I also wondered, was the DAT strictly neccessary for digital tape audio, I used to store digital data on classic cassettes for my SVI 728, it's just the reader hardware that needs be capable to reading and writing digital signals from/to the tape and that technology existed. I had been wondering if that might not have been a better way to go, use the same format, make the digital players backwards compatible too so they could read older analog cassettes. Easier for the public to switch over, maybe get a little more life out of the cassette format. And you would be able to record music digitally then which wasn't something you could do with a CD at the time, at a reasonable cost anyway. I guess though that's what the manufacturers where afraid of, the public couldn't be allowed to copy digital music that easily. Maybe the DAT adressed that in some way?

You're kind of describing DCC, Philips' more consumer oriented DAT alternative. It used the same 0.15" tape as normal cassettes, and the players could play either type. However, the DCC cassettes were a new design with a diskette style sliding cover. Basically the same external dimensions, though. It used the same sort of "stationary head, narrow parallel tracks" system as normal cassettes, instead of a VHS style rotating head (like DAT), but somehow managed to cram 9 narrow tracks in each direction onto there.

What they could not do was record digital audio onto the old cassettes - I don't know if DCC specced better tape chemistry, or had more precise tape positioning, or if it was just to make a clear delineation and drive some sales.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Computer viking posted:

You're kind of describing DCC, Philips' more consumer oriented DAT alternative. It used the same 0.15" tape as normal cassettes, and the players could play either type. However, the DCC cassettes were a new design with a diskette style sliding cover. Basically the same external dimensions, though. It used the same sort of "stationary head, narrow parallel tracks" system as normal cassettes, instead of a VHS style rotating head (like DAT), but somehow managed to cram 9 narrow tracks in each direction onto there.

What they could not do was record digital audio onto the old cassettes - I don't know if DCC specced better tape chemistry, or had more precise tape positioning, or if it was just to make a clear delineation and drive some sales.

According to this website: https://www.dcc-faq.org/philips/dcc.html It used the same tape as video tapes. Not typical analog cassette tape.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I went to a yard sale last weekend, and actually saw two CEDs in the wild for the first time. Thought about buying them, but they had no price tag, and going off if the rest of the stuff there and the prices on thighs, it seemed to be a generic 'pop culture' guy selling random stuff, so I feel like he would have asked too much. Lots of overpriced old figurines, posters, etc...

By my cursory research, those seem to be some of the most prolific CED titles, and both can be had for sub $20 from eBay right now.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
ive had people recommend pro-level dcc decks as those can play regular tapes and have great digital output while being very cheap as the format flopped hard. great if you need to archive some cassettes... id bet those have gotten a bit more expensive now with techmoan and the like getting very popular though

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Wasabi the J posted:

For millions of years
In millions of homes
We all had a file
That everyone owned

Is it goodtimes.wmv or whatever that music video was called on the Windows 95 CD? It started off "you don't even have to tRYYYYYYYYY"

fake edit: there was also a Weezer video in the same place

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Also hover.exe, a surprisingly good game for an easter egg.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

For millions of years
In millions of homes
We all had a file
That everyone owned

I tried to sing this inside my head to CANYON.MID

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

I tried to sing this inside my head to CANYON.MID

no no they said millions of homes, not millions of LGR views

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

-- 8<---- stuff moved to tech relics thread ----8<---

So, with that out of the way, let us all praise the transputer.

The what?

The Inmos Transputer was a UK development - the idea was there was a very simple stack-based processor with on-chip ram (4K) that had built-in serial interconnects (4x20mbit, which in the days when 10mbit ethernet was "fast" was a big deal). It was basically supposed to be the next big thing - parallel task-based message-passing architecture - but pretty much sank without a trace. I recall an anecdote that they had a symposium or whatever themed around the transputers and someone went to the trouble of going round and asking all the presenters how many transputer nodes each of them had and none of them had more than two, so that might have had something to do with it.

http://people.cs.bris.ac.uk/~dave/transputer.html)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdK3PXKvYgs

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Oct 17, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wasabi the J posted:

For millions of years
In millions of homes
We all had a file
That everyone owned

David Byrne - Like Humans Do

This plus Windows Media visualization blew my loving mind.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

thepopmonster posted:

The what?

The Inmos Transputer was a UK development - the idea was there was a very simple stack-based processor with on-chip ram (4K) that had built-in serial interconnects (4x20mbit, which in the days when 10mbit ethernet was "fast" was a big deal). It was basically supposed to be the next big thing - parallel task-based message-passing architecture - but pretty much sank without a trace. I recall an anecdote that they had a symposium or whatever themed around the transputers and someone went to the trouble of going round and asking all the presenters how many transputer nodes each of them had and none of them had more than two, so that might have had something to do with it.

These ended up being put to very weird uses, but usually just as fast single processors, never as the multiprocessing networks they were designed for. The Quantel Paintbox (a very advanced 1980s system for adding graphics to broadcast video) used a Transputer chip to control its floppy drive, and they occasionally show up doing calculations in industrial gear.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

thepopmonster posted:

I know there are a few retrobuilders in this thread, if anyone wants any or preferably all of:
* AGP radeon 9800 - 256M/128 bit (unknown if works, don't have any AGP machines)
* PCI ATI TV Wonder 650 (probably works - the PC I pulled it from just had a dead PSU)
* PCI no-name card with 3xUSB and 3x firewire ports (same)
* PCI-E passively cooled full-height PCIE 512M Sapphire Radeon HD4670 (this one works enough to come up in at least 2D mode in Linux and the caps look good, so I'd say this one works)
* 2x patriot PC3200 400mhz DDR dimms cl 2-3-2-5, PDC-1G3200LLK (unknown)
* a PCI-E Dell 4350 adaptor, 1/2 height card, full height bracket, no fan (parts only)
* 2x2GB DDR2 667Mhz ram (works, compatible with Celeron 420)
and are willing to pay the postage from NOLA (close-enough in SA gift certs is fine) please PM (or email me if you don't have PMs.)

The what?

The first company I ever did a job interview at was building PC plugin cards with transputers that did… something. I don’t remember anything else, except that they asked me if I would be OK with having cats in the office.

Oh hey, found an old (German) article about it. It was one transputer, and the board was a SCSI controller.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats, in a computer office? Were they at least MS certified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Cats, in a computer office? Were they at least MS certified?

Not sure, but I'd imagine everyone would gave to use a trackball right?