Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tales from the Borderlands I liked since the whole concept of exploring a setting clearly built around a specific genre from the POV of a different genre is interesting.

why did they have to cancel starcraft: ghosts, whyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Because Blizzard was full of hack frauds

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Space Kablooey posted:

Because Blizzard was full of hack frauds

was?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Super Metroid was cool but I have never understood what people saw in Metroid Prime. I never bothered to try any other Metroids after playing them.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Blizzards bill Cosby room is funny

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Super Metroid was cool but I have never understood what people saw in Metroid Prime.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the whole concept of exploring a setting clearly built around a specific genre from the POV of a different genre is interesting.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Super Metroid was cool but I have never understood what people saw in Metroid Prime. I never bothered to try any other Metroids after playing them.

Prime 1 was a really good re-imagining of Super Metroid.

Prime 2 though already started to show cracks at the seam in its design, and I found the Light world/Dark world gimmick extremely cumbersome compared to a link to the past.

Never tried the others after yeah.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The best parts of metroid prime were the morph ball sections with ramps and pipes. They should make a full game of just Super Metroid Ball

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Doctor J Off posted:

The best parts of metroid prime were the morph ball sections with ramps and pipes. They should make a full game of just Super Metroid Ball

They did

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Super Metroid controls terribly. I'd rather replay Zero/Fusion.

notlikethis.gif

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

it was and still is

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What was the command and conquer one, Renegade? That turned out to be a bit poo. Which is a shame, because, yeah the whole playing as a troop in an RTS was such a cool idea that it didn't actually have to be good to be fun, I played it quite a bit, but it really was dumb. I think the main problem was just that they stayed a bit too true to source in terms of just flat, plain open terrain, which doesn't make for an amazing fps experience. I guess the technology was pretty severely limited at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They bought a team based on their sole credit of a funny, fast paced and talkative TPS and told them, no, not like that, over and over until everyone gave up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor J Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHS00nAgdk4

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

!Klams posted:

What was the command and conquer one, Renegade? That turned out to be a bit poo. Which is a shame, because, yeah the whole playing as a troop in an RTS was such a cool idea that it didn't actually have to be good to be fun, I played it quite a bit, but it really was dumb. I think the main problem was just that they stayed a bit too true to source in terms of just flat, plain open terrain, which doesn't make for an amazing fps experience. I guess the technology was pretty severely limited at the time.

Now you have me wanting to replay battlezone 98 again.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

!Klams posted:

If I recall the game engine and AI was a lot of trouble as it was built from the ground up with a lot of requirements that caused several delays and was then pushed out the door needing probably another 6 months to a year of development. To be fair having vehicles, indoor/outdoor sections and large open areas without loading screens was uncommon back then for an FPS but the reviews were bad.

The multiplayer probably could of been its saving grace with its unique combined class based infantry, tanks and base battles but to be true to the C&C lore meant keeping imbalances in unit/faction design which put players off. Then Battlefield 1942 was released 6 months later and just blew it out the water doing a lot of the same features on a better engine.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

i loved that game as a kid. got it as a bday gift from my granny and initially i was like "the gently caress is this". but after playing it for a bit i was like "drat, granny knows whats up".

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 4, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Skylines the one that youtubers make videos where they fix traffic problems? If so, the game looks like work. As in an actual job.

tons of games look like work. every single MMO and JRPG, for example

abigserve posted:

PGA tour 2021 is the best golf simulator ever made

yeah that game owns. it could use some more features probably but in terms of the actual gameplay/controls it is the best

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

only Turok understood how to use the controller and at the time everyone thought it was crazy and impossible. You moved and strafed with the c-buttons and looked with the stick, which seems normal now but was super weird at the time.

I remember it felt loving impossible at the time. And to be fair the c buttons were super loving weird and don't feel anything like using a dual stick first person control scheme nowadays.

Also the only trigger being for your left hand felt weird too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Play posted:

Also the only trigger being for your middle hand felt weird too

ftfy :rolleye:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

3d metroids are bad

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
metroid never really did it for me, but I wouldn't say it's bad at all. Just not my kind of game.

I've been playing Total War for years and one of you ruined it for me by saying Cities Skylines feels like a job. Because I was playing Warhammer 2 with a notebook and pencil in front of me to plan and I realized... this feels like a job.

The others simpler ones are still fun, I checked, but everything after Shogun just has way too much poo poo to keep track of and it's just kind of stressful.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The writing in Borderlands 2 was fun the first playthrough and got old really fast due to leaning heavy on very current pop culture references. I can't stand it at all now but I bet in 10 or 15 years it will be an entertaining sort of flashback for a lot of tangential things to spur on your memory of a very specific time period.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

nvidiagouge posted:

The writing in Borderlands 2 was fun the first playthrough and got old really fast due to leaning heavy on very current pop culture references. I can't stand it at all now but I bet in 10 or 15 years it will be an entertaining sort of flashback for a lot of tangential things to spur on your memory of a very specific time period.

Everything about it but the gameplay wasn't my thing, but the gameplay hit the spot and it was super fun with friends.

I don't think it was funny at all, just super annoying. I remember rolling my eyes at the "god, these pretzels suck" line but it seemed popular? I dunno. I did laugh out loud playing Disco Elysium a lot. Warhammer Vermintide makes me laugh a lot too, just smashing ratmen away 100 at a time with a big mace lmfao

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What did you need a notepad for in total war warhammer 2? I have hundreds of hours in that game and never felt like I needed one.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

nvidiagouge posted:

What did you need a notepad for in total war warhammer 2? I have hundreds of hours in that game and never felt like I needed one.

my brain sucks and if I don't write down my plans i'll get distracted by being able to build some new building or something that just didn't fit into my well thought out plan

probably add but , you know, I've made it this far in life so why gently caress around

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Total war chat: I signed non-aggression packs with a randomly spawned bretonian hoarde the first turn it existed, and my neighboring pirate vampires. The brets instantly started raiding me, and the vampires tresspassed into my territory to muster (and gently caress my vampiric corruption). I can't ask them politely to stop that, but I *can* lose all my reputation by attacking them -_- The more I play the game the more I'm amazed at how many basic common-sense staples are missing, both for campaign and (slightly less so for-) battle.

But I do love charging T-rex's into hoards of gibbering rats, so it has that!

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

Total war chat: I signed non-aggression packs with a randomly spawned bretonian hoarde the first turn it existed, and my neighboring pirate vampires. The brets instantly started raiding me, and the vampires tresspassed into my territory to muster (and gently caress my vampiric corruption). I can't ask them politely to stop that, but I *can* lose all my reputation by attacking them -_- The more I play the game the more I'm amazed at how many basic common-sense staples are missing, both for campaign and (slightly less so for-) battle.

But I do love charging T-rex's into hoards of gibbering rats, so it has that!

Your best bet in Diplomacy is to pick one or two ride or die homies that should probably come from your faction or at least match your alignment and then to hell with everyone else. Rebel armies are useless parleying with, they exist to farm XP and most factions not closely aligned to you will raid the poo poo out of you unless you have the higher level treaties.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my experience with borderlands 2 was i either could use a pistol with 5 shots that lobbed grenades semi inaccurately but did any damage at all or i could use a string of a hundred machine guns that were completely inaccurate and did no damage at all while some rear end in a top hat called Captain jack kept yelling at me and i promptly quit

site fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 5, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

site posted:

my experience with borderlands 2 was i either could use a pistol with 5 shots that lobbed grenades semi inaccurately but did any damage at all or i could use a string of a hundred machine guns that were completely inaccurate and did no damage at all while some rear end in a top hat called Captain jack kept telling at me and i promptly quit

that game was made in the Golden Age of the Sniper Rifle

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Looter shooters really gotta do something about the "guns doing no damage" problem. Maybe have damage be relatively flat and later loot comes with better secondary effects, magazine sizes, sights, stuff like that, I dunno.

In particular, they need to cut it out with the thing where you enter a new area where the enemies are level 16 instead of 14 and now the gun that you've been using suddenly deals no damage to them, even though visually they're all the same enemies.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

just have hundreds of different bad guys, that would be cool

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
in BL3 I got a new gun that does 600k damage per bullet

then, without even advancing a level, I got one that does 10 million and has no ammo

Balancing??!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

just have hundreds of different bad guys, that would be cool

The reason Morrowind is better than Oblivion is becuase every person has a name. No, you're not slaying a generic Bandit instead you're slaying James from down the road. Really give is a personal touch.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Literally A Ghost posted:

The reason Morrowind is better than Oblivion is becuase every person has a name. No, you're not slaying a generic Bandit instead you're slaying James from down the road. Really give is a personal touch.

Dear tips@fbi.gov...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

abigserve posted:

in BL3 I got a new gun that does 600k damage per bullet

then, without even advancing a level, I got one that does 10 million and has no ammo

Balancing??!

I hate when loot games get numbers that are just stupid high. Once your damage can be measured in the 100k range you've done hosed up your damage curve and make the numbers lose all meaning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DND item scaling was the best. Longsword+3 is loving powerful, because instead of hitting for 1-10 you’re hitting for 4-14. Hot poo poo baby.

If Blizzard or Bungie designed a DND campaign, you’d find a longsword +3, then a longsword+15, then a dagger+30 in the same dungeon.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The dagger+30 has a crappy proc so it's not worth it somehow. While the longsword+3 has an amazing one and is BIS up to level 50.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
longsword+3 is BiS for one of your characters so you spend 100 hours farming it at max level but it never drops. You roll an alt for fun and it drops from the first skeleton at level 1

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

abigserve posted:

longsword+3 is BiS for one of your characters so you spend 100 hours farming it at max level but it never drops. You roll an alt for fun and it drops from the first skeleton at level 1

I have never sad gently caress you to a post till now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember when I first started to really get into Morrowind I ended up coming down with one of the worst flus of my life.

After I recovered, whenever I tried to go back and play it again I would get a associative sick feeling and have to quit.