Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Where did you get the tank? When you uncap after carbing, does what comes out sting your nose harsh like pure CO2, or is it also lackluster?

I haven't tried sniffing the bottle. Just drinking from the cup. I'll try that. I got the tank from airgas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, right after carbing would be best. Sounds like your method is solid so that's all I got. If that is nice and sharp then next I'd offer is to watch a video or Zoom with you :shrug:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah, right after carbing would be best. Sounds like your method is solid so that's all I got. If that is nice and sharp then next I'd offer is to watch a video or Zoom with you :shrug:

The only video I could find of that one guy was him setting up some kind of carb pump device. He did mention getting a higher pressure regulator, but that was for a metal container.

I'm going to try and remember to bring my ultrasonic device to work tomorrow to give this a shot.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Well, i've just about had it with the carbonator setup.

If I put the filtered water in the freezer until ice just starts forming, pour that into another container so there's no actual ice chunks, put my cap on it with carb stone, pressurize it to 60psi while shaking until no more bubbles come out. The best I can get is *almost* as bubbly as a soda stream but with like half the bite. For 20 times the effort.

At this point any further experimenting is just to sate my lust for data. My next plan is to get a metal container with a separate connector and hooking up my vacuum pump to degass the water. And then carbonating it while it sits in my ultrasonic cleaner to really try and get as much molecular movement going on.

try pressurizing just as you describe above, but then open the seal and re-pressurize it a second time. i read somewhere that the first round pushes a lot of the dissolved 'regular' air gasses deeper into the water, but doing this releases those and makes room for more co2. i think my setup is similar to yours.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I find it interesting that the pure CO2 "stings the nose". CO2 is generally regarded as being odorless and undetectable, I wonder what is being produced that stings the nose? Maybe it's some other thing that's being carbonated and it's the combination?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chard posted:

try pressurizing just as you describe above, but then open the seal and re-pressurize it a second time. i read somewhere that the first round pushes a lot of the dissolved 'regular' air gasses deeper into the water, but doing this releases those and makes room for more co2. i think my setup is similar to yours.

I kinda tune out for the carbonation talk on Arnold's podcast because it doesn't interest me but carbing 2 or even 3 times is something he talks about a lot

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I find it interesting that the pure CO2 "stings the nose". CO2 is generally regarded as being odorless and undetectable, I wonder what is being produced that stings the nose? Maybe it's some other thing that's being carbonated and it's the combination?

When you disolve CO2 into water you get carbolic acid. It's not the gas itself but the acid made from pushing the gas into the water. It's got a very tart taste.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Finally finished Dave Arnold's carbo chapter. It's unsurprisingly mostly about cocktails. Here's my notes, in order of appearance, bolded the "plain seltzer" relevant ones. Sounds like you have most of these down already.

• CO2 has its own taste, and sense in the nose, even beyond the tartness of carbonic acid.
  • You must shake while carbing
  • Bubble size is not a universal sign of quality. If you care I'll summarize why.
  • Carbonation delivers volatiles to your nose, but also can be harsh. If you want more volatiles aromas without getting blown away by CO2, use N2O or a mix
  • More alcohol content = needs more carbonation to feel the same bubbly on your tongue. CO2 stays in solution (not on your tongue) better in alcohol. Stick to 14-17% ABV.
  • Preceding 2 notes mean that your "base" beverage flat will taste weak in flavor & alcohol before you carbonate it.
  • Tall thin glasses retain carbonation longer
  • Clear liquids are needed, vs cloudy. Filter, clarify with milk wash or gelatin or Pectinex or centrifuge or....
  • Color is not the same as clarity. Soda is dark yet clear so it carbs well.
  • Cold as you can without freezing, both for carbing and for serving. Non-alcoholic 0°C, most cocktails -6°C to -10°C, pure spirits -20°C. If you see tiny ice crystals, stop and let warm slightly.
  • Air trapped in solution is also bad - carb more than once. First release of pressure bubbles out the trapped air (and other nucleation sites, added benefit)
  • Test your beverage composition by shaking it before carbonating. If the air bubbles dissipate quickly with no foam you're in a good spot. If you get persistent bubbles/foam even before carbing, leave some headspace to allow foaming when you slowly release pressure, and carbonate 3 times or more.
  • 1 liter plastic bottles are a good sweet spot, filled 2/3 to 3/4 full. For Sodastream, instead always fill exactly 1/3 full for potentially foamy beverages.
  • Some new plastic bottles have shorter caps & threads, to save plastic. Avoid if possible.
  • Plastic leaks out CO2. If you MUST store in plastic, top up with a bit of CO2 every time you pour & every few days at a minimum (but really, just drink faster)
  • Soft water is usually best, if your water utility uses chlorine then heat it & cool it first (BB note: use a Brita or your fridge's in-line filter too)

Steps to carbing using a tank + ball lock cap + soda bottle:
  1. Regulator on dispensing side set to 42 psi for cocktails (BrianBoitano note: I do 60 psi for plain seltzer)
  2. Fill bottle 2/3 to 3/4 full with very very cold beverage
  3. Squeeze out extra air and affix cap (BB note: my cheapo regulator has a separate valve on the exit hose that I can open gently to allow the 60 psi into the bottle slowly, to avoid the sudden BANG from air-squeezed-out to original-bottle-shape. I like to think this reduces my risk of bottle fatigue & failure)
  4. Shake like mad UPRIGHT so beverage doesn't enter the hose. (BB note: until no more gas entering the bottle)
  5. Disconnect and release pressure slowly, then repeat 1 more time for water or 2 more times for other beverages.
  6. After last carb, let sit 1-2 minutes before opening. If you see bubbles on the inside walls, flick them off first t:mad:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This is rad, thanks. I haven't been releasing and recarbing, so I'll give that a shot. This is filter water from the city and is known to be very soft.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like a huge variety of foods and drinks and so on but I've never been more glad that I don't really care for carbonated drinks. My mom goes nuts for bubbly stuff and even seeing her deal with a Sodastream seems like way too much trouble, let alone DIY stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's fun! If you do the tricky method it's also cheap! I'm just glad I started most of my hobbies before having a kid, since yeah there's a learning curve.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CainFortea posted:

When you disolve CO2 into water you get carbolic acid. It's not the gas itself but the acid made from pushing the gas into the water. It's got a very tart taste.

Perfect, thanks

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

30 years of drinking Soda has made it very difficult to quit without SOMETHING bubbly. Also I like tangy and sour stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CainFortea posted:

30 years of drinking Soda has made it very difficult to quit without SOMETHING bubbly. Also I like tangy and sour stuff.
Have you tried beer?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mystes posted:

Have you tried beer?

Beer tastes like rear end. Yes, especially the beer you are about to recommend.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not Rectal Brewing's flagship Indianus Pale rear end

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I will occasionally drink a corona. Mainly because my friends and I have a tradition where the first day of spring where it hits 80°, we all meet at someone's house and drink Coronas on the porch. I Believe I can drink Corona because it's the least beer tasting beer. I don't enjoy the process, but it's manageable

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any good links on the gear to buy if I'm interested in getting a set up myself? I figure it's better to get a co2 tank from a local place, but everything else I should be able to get online right?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Brewmaster - D1050 CO2 Tank (5 lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F8ZZC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E4ACZ9NQDFF6F1SBXD7J

MRbrew CGA-320 Keg Regulator, Quick Disconnect CO2 Kegerator Regulator with Pressure Adjustment Knob, Beer Regulator with Safety Manual Pressure Relief Valve, with 2 Swivel Nut & 1/4’’ & 5/16’’ Barb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YV4TJMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QJ8MSRAFPPWBAEBE0YJW

PERA 5/16" ball lock line assembly, MFL liquid disconnect with 5ft gas line for home brewing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LX9575/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DA3WXYNW5J1AVWQDZHBK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

UP100 Homebrew Stainless Carbonation Cap & 2 Micron Diffusion Stone 24'' Silicone Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GR634C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_55QK6GRF44SKTSGDYEPF

Buy a 1L soda or two, and also these are nice to decant into if you want it to last more than a couple days, like if you're batching out a drink ahead of time. Lorina, Lemonade Pink Sparkling, 25.3 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078DQ9F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H40CXHHVTVSCT83VBCK2

The tank and regulator are both new to me, the originals I bought are not available any more. I'm certain you can get a better deal on the tank local, and probably get other parts on McMaster Carr or Ali Express if you care to comparison shop!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So you connect the tank to the regulator, then use the carbonation cap to carbonate? What's the ball lock assembly line connected to?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carillon posted:

So you connect the tank to the regulator, then use the carbonation cap to carbonate? What's the ball lock assembly line connected to?

It connects to the carbonation cap that you screw onto the bottle. That way the gas only goes in when it's connected and doesn't escape when you pull it off.

So, trip report on my system.

I tried releasing the pressure 3 times, then stuck it back in the fridge and did it a 4th time. No change. I also tried the ultrasonic cleaner, that didn't do anything at all which I was half expecting.

It's pretty bubbly first opening, but it goes away very quickly. And it doesn't have much bite to it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm 90% sure you don't have pure CO2 in there. Breathing pure CO2 into your nose will sting fierce. You can get 20% of the effect with a brand new coke or w/e, but straight from carbing should be unbearably intense if you get your nose right on it.

But that would mean your airgas company gave you the wrong gas or their machine malfunctioned, which is loving terrifying. I don't know man. Offer to zoom / facetime or whatever to diagnose still stands.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I might do that. I usually leave it all at work cause that's where I mostly do the fizzy drink drinking. And in case we need a backup CO2 canister I can just send mine out.

I might also just be a giant picky babby.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tip for buying the tank, you probably won't get to keep it so don't bother with stickers or w/e. all the fillers near me will only swap out empties for pre-filled same size tanks, plus cost of gas . call around to see if it's worth ordering an empty online vs just buying filled local.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Breathing pure CO2 into your nose will sting fierce.

I think it's not the CO2 that stings but rather the carbonic acid that another goon ITT mentioned. If you hold your breath for as long as you can stand and then exhale through your nose, that gas is going to be extremely CO2 dense and it doesn't hurt. There's no reason that CO2 would hurt in terms of the tissues etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's not the CO2 that stings but rather the carbonic acid that another goon ITT mentioned.

Yeah nah, it's way more complex than that. I based my post on having just read Dave Arnold's chapter on the matter, where he specifically calls out:

To disagree with you on a matter of science, I wanted to dig one level deeper, so:

"Article in the journal Science posted:

In addition to these well-known stimuli, the taste system appears to be responsive to CO2 (13, 14, 15). Mammals have multiple sensory systems that respond to CO2, including nociception (16, 17), olfaction (18), and chemoreception essential for respiratory regulation (19), yet the molecular mechanisms for CO2 reception remain poorly defined. Thus, we wondered how taste receptor cells (TRCs) detect and respond to carbonation.

I am also speaking from personal experience - your nose is a good guide of whether your tank of pure CO2 stings or not. It does. Carbonic acid may be forming in your nose and cause a part of the sensation, but to say that's the only factor is wrong. I'll admit I didn't dive an extra level deep and try to read if we know the relative sensitivity of these senses, because it doesn't matter for my recommendation: your nose can easily sense pure CO2.

VelociBacon posted:

If you hold your breath for as long as you can stand and then exhale through your nose, that gas is going to be extremely CO2 dense and it doesn't hurt. There's no reason that CO2 would hurt in terms of the tissues etc.

No. We inhale ~0.04% CO2 and exhale ~4% - a 100x increase in concentration but you'll note 4% is not 100%. Even if you re-breathe the same air for 4 minutes, this article in Physiology shows you can hit 57 mmHg CO2. I was never any good at partial pressure calculations but order of magnitude that is definitely less than 10%.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah nah, it's way more complex than that. I based my post on having just read Dave Arnold's chapter on the matter, where he specifically calls out:

To disagree with you on a matter of science, I wanted to dig one level deeper, so:

I am also speaking from personal experience - your nose is a good guide of whether your tank of pure CO2 stings or not. It does. Carbonic acid may be forming in your nose and cause a part of the sensation, but to say that's the only factor is wrong. I'll admit I didn't dive an extra level deep and try to read if we know the relative sensitivity of these senses, because it doesn't matter for my recommendation: your nose can easily sense pure CO2.

No. We inhale ~0.04% CO2 and exhale ~4% - a 100x increase in concentration but you'll note 4% is not 100%. Even if you re-breathe the same air for 4 minutes, this article in Physiology shows you can hit 57 mmHg CO2. I was never any good at partial pressure calculations but order of magnitude that is definitely less than 10%.

Oh yeah turns out some cells in the nose do detect it.

quote:

"The cells that responded to CO2 were the same cells that detect mustard," Liman said.

These cells express a gene known as TRPA1 and serve as general pain sensors.

I've absolutely seen regular healthy staff hold their breath long enough to get over 60mmHg on end-tidal CO2 but I concede that this doesn't end up being as high % of the exhaled gas as I originally thought.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
https://twitter.com/juanmississippi/status/1430640638819713039?s=20

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I guess if you want to get really technical about it its true. drat I love carmelized onions.

Was in a weird mood this morning and wanted a weird "whatever's in the fridge" breakfast. So I made a small cheeseburger then wrapped it in a paper thin omelette. Then I put it on a toasted english muffin with hollandaise sauce. Gotta say, I think I might be on to something.

Not that I thought up putting a burger in an omelette. There was this Vietnamese place in Seattle that would reopen at 2 am just to serve burgers wrapped in an omelette to all the drunks. It was like, one of the best things I have ever had. I don't know what voodoo they were pulling but it was so good. I think it had bahn mi veggies on it too. I've never really seen that anywhere else and that was probably 10 years ago. Figured I'd give it a whirl and breakfast it up a little more.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 3, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've been making a lot of mujadara lately which requires a lot of carmelizing onions and its just such a chill activity. I tend to cook almost the second I walk in the door from work, so its a good wind up to everything else and gives me a chance to wander off and relax a little on my way to the part that requires effort. I just lolled at the idea of caramel on onions.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've been making a lot of mujadara lately which requires a lot of carmelizing onions and its just such a chill activity. I tend to cook almost the second I walk in the door from work, so its a good wind up to everything else and gives me a chance to wander off and relax a little on my way to the part that requires effort. I just lolled at the idea of caramel on onions.

We know that dish as kosheri. It’s so drat good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

mujadara is great, yeah

I like it with sumac and a healthy scoop of yogurt, I usually put a little fried or pickled onion/shallot on top too

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

mujadara is great, yeah

I like it with sumac and a healthy scoop of yogurt, I usually put a little fried or pickled onion/shallot on top too

I use an Ottolenghi recipe that has an amazing vinegar chilli tomato sauce

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therattle posted:

I use an Ottolenghi recipe that has an amazing vinegar chilli tomato sauce

nice, I’ll have to check that out

which book is it in?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

nice, I’ll have to check that out

which book is it in?

The first one, I think, the title of which I’ve forgotten.

It’s here

https://cookingbythebook.com/recipes/kosheri-rice-lentils-ottolenghi/

It’s delicious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Our folks are just back from France and as usual, they asked me and my brother if we wanted anything got.
I wanted Seigneurie D'Arse wine, for obvious reasons, he wanted cheese.

There is So Much cheese, like, insane quantities - off the top of my head there is langres, epoisses, little cakes of chevres, chaumes, mimolette, and at least four others I didn't see the labels of.
The whole bottom section of the fridge door is cheese.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Our folks are just back from France and as usual, they asked me and my brother if we wanted anything got.

There is So Much cheese, like, insane quantities - off the top of my head there is langres, epoisses, little cakes of chevres, chaumes, mimolette, and at least four others I didn't see the labels of.

Send me your address, I’ll be there ASAP. I’ll bring my son. Anything too pungent for you and he’ll polish it off.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

therattle posted:

Send me your address, I’ll be there ASAP. I’ll bring my son. Anything too pungent for you and he’ll polish it off.

LOL, we gots the epoisses and you think we fear the stinky? We embrace the stench, we wallow in the cheesy fug

edit: I just did a cheese inventory. and we have:
Epoisses x 2
Langres x2
Chaussé aux moines
Ossau Iraty du pays basque
Le Chartreux
Pur Brebis
Mimolette
Crotins de Chevre
Tomme de Montagne
Saint-Nectaire Latier
Maroilles Fauquet

edit: the year after we had epoisses for the first time, (amazing), we got one about a week before christmas, to have on Christmas Day. By about the 23rd Dec, the epoisses had gotten so powerful we had to double tupperware it. By the 24th it was clear even that wasn't enough, so it got banished out to the little fridge in the camper van.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 4, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Pookah posted:

I have a dedicated mini-fridge for cheeses and I'm still jealous. I would very probably do terrible things to have mimolette at my disposal.

e: I recommend a cheese fridge. You'll never have to banish smelly cheese again. It makes me feel fancy plus it gives you extra space for pickles, chutneys, and preserves to eat cheese with.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

LOL, we gots the epoisses and you think we fear the stinky? We embrace the stench, we wallow in the cheesy fug

edit: I just did a cheese inventory. and we have:
Epoisses x 2
Langres x2
Chaussé aux moines
Ossau Iraty du pays basque
Le Chartreux
Pur Brebis
Mimolette
Crotins de Chevre
Tomme de Montagne
Saint-Nectaire Latier
Maroilles Fauquet

edit: the year after we had epoisses for the first time, (amazing), we got one about a week before christmas, to have on Christmas Day. By about the 23rd Dec, the epoisses had gotten so powerful we had to double tupperware it. By the 24th it was clear even that wasn't enough, so it got banished out to the little fridge in the camper van.

I’m not familiar with all of them but with most, and I am envious. I love epoisses, Osau Iraty, Tomme and Saint-Nectair in particular.