Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The Lord of the Rings Online: every day I wake up and do the moves alongside helm hammerhand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Loaded up the game earlier and... I just don't know if I want to try playing my Captain from 100 to the cap but my other options are a Champion back at 75, a lvl 45ish warden, or starting a new character from the long-existing classes all at lvl 1 (if I buy Beorning I'd have to do VIP to unlock that stuff too). Captains are pretty much just tanks and maybe support/heals now, with poo poo for dps?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Captains are tanks/support and a key part of endgame groups but probably one of the least fun classes to level up due to anemic DPS

Wardens are fun if you can wrap your head around all the combos. Otherwise champion maybe if you don't have a beorning ready to go.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Is there really no way to scale all of the UI? The game is entirely unplayable on a 4k screen.

You can scale the UI in UI settings but a few things (like Inventory) don't. :iiam:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

Captains are tanks/support and a key part of endgame groups but probably one of the least fun classes to level up due to anemic DPS

Wardens are fun if you can wrap your head around all the combos. Otherwise champion maybe if you don't have a beorning ready to go.

Yeah the only time I've ever felt like I could xp "fast" on a Captain was with mounted combat in Rohan. Particularly Helm's Deep when it launched since they broke the mounted skill cooldowns so the big AOE nuke on a 60(?) second cooldown was usable every 5-6 seconds and their big hit single target skill was spammable, meaning you could kite stuff at 30-40m while doing probably 5-10k dps by yourself and melt everything.

Beorning have always looked fun and cool but, man, leveling one to current content is probably hundreds of hours of grinding. I don't think I'd care about endgame groups much but we'll see. Even going through Rohan a 2nd time on a champion sounds kinda hellish.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

You can scale the UI in UI settings but a few things (like Inventory) don't. :iiam:

Considering the prevalence of 4k screens, pretty baffling this hasn't been fixed. Googling, I've seen complaints about this dating years back.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Considering the prevalence of 4k screens, pretty baffling this hasn't been fixed. Googling, I've seen complaints about this dating years back.

I was shocked when they added UI scaling in general. It really has been years which means it'll probably never be fixed :(.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I should have stayed at 1440p. Feeling some regret about buying 2 UHD monitors for my gaming PC, now.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fame Douglas posted:

AFAICT it's because their engine is so old it predates widespread use of vector graphics. It probably would require way more backend/engine work than they currently have the staff or technical expertise for at this point, and I don't see that changing without a major injection of cash, which seems pretty unlikely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ddo's UI is even more dire. even back when it went f2p and i finally started playing properly, i'd only have about 70% of my screen filled with xp bar/load bar at the bottom of screen because i was on a 2560x1600 screen and they just didn't bother supporting that

i think the entire UI there is pixel art. you'd think they'd let you just scale it by x2 but apparently that's a no-go these days.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, I'd be fine with being able to scale the whole UI, don't care if it's blurry (well, I guess they'd have to do something to make text bearable). It's an old game after all, doesn't have to be perfect. But running at a lower resolution fullscreen is not an option for me, because I like being able to mouse to my second screen without hassle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jalapeno_dude posted:

AFAICT it's because their engine is so old it predates widespread use of vector graphics. It probably would require way more backend/engine work than they currently have the staff or technical expertise for at this point, and I don't see that changing without a major injection of cash, which seems pretty unlikely.

Development on Lotro began more than 20 years ago, when most people were still using 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolution monitors. With the occasional person using 1600x1200 behemoth of a CRT. They've made updates to the engine over time but at the end of the day Lotro's code is old as hell and the time/money for a massive overhaul likely just isn't there and never will be.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so is beorning the best if i just wanna solo through and bask myself in some lotr scenery and stuff? Do i spend a lot of time as a bear not seeing my cool weapons and armor? any other a+ solo class?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

queeb posted:

so is beorning the best if i just wanna solo through and bask myself in some lotr scenery and stuff? Do i spend a lot of time as a bear not seeing my cool weapons and armor? any other a+ solo class?

The bear is strong, for sure, but you'll probably end up being in "man-mode" most of the time. Very good for soloing either way. I believe most of the classes fair pretty well these days. Guardian, Burglar and Captain are slower paced, but then again they have other advantages.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I haven't played since whatever quest pack was after Mordor, but I've always liked my Hunter. The fast travel stuff is *super* useful, especially if you want to do the Book quests.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Speaking of Beroning can someone post or link a good solo beorning build?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Warden is a pretty good soloer too, they get run speed and some ports though not as convenient as the hunter's. Beorning is probably the best at soloing group content but doesn't have as many travel powers as warden and hunter. If you save group quests for when you outlevel them or get help from other people, then you'll be fine with any class just doing the epic quest and exploring. As mentioned though captain, guardian and burglar can be slower than the rest.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im between hunter and champion and beorning now. ill try each one out and see how it goes.

edit: sounds like hunter is the way to go just for seeing the sights and poo poo, with all the movespeed boosts and teleports.

edit:

im a cool elf lady. i was gonna do a man but the beard options were real bad, i couldnt do cool aragorn facial hair

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 1, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Burglar is almost certainly the weakest soloer.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

will i outlevel areas if i do sidquests and stuff? i definitely want to see the main story quests and all that

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

queeb posted:

will i outlevel areas if i do sidquests and stuff? i definitely want to see the main story quests and all that

If you try to do the Epic quest + all quests in a map area yes definitely. For example: When I leveled my previously-mentioned champion I skipped the entire Isengard expansion on them because of the amount of XP I got from Lothorien/Mirkwood/Enedwaith/pre-rohan zone I forgot the name of. Keep in mind I was trying to skip Isengard because I think that expansion sucks and didn't want to play it again but there's no shortage of xp if you're questing.

I think a good rule of thumb is to do the side quests you enjoy while going through the story quests.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

queeb posted:

Extremely. I ended up buying this on the store https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Stone_of_the_Tortoise

It's kind of silly that you have to buy it, but whatever.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Burglar is almost certainly the weakest soloer.

True, but they do get the nifty ability to entirely bypass needless fights when questing. That saves time and it all adds up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I rather like being overlevelled for the zone I'm in. It feels like I'm playing one of the heroes from the movie that can drop the average orc with a single blow and carve through the chaff to reach their leader. If I want a challenge, I can try soloing group content or just go to a higher-level zone.

Plus, your aggro radius drops if you're overlevelled, so it's like free burglar stealth.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm playing on Treebeard and leveling super slow as designed, but having trouble finding any groups. Is it a lack of players, or do people just not use the group finder?

I might have to just skip any fellowship content at this point, but that feels wrong somehow.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Vadun posted:

do people just not use the group finder?

It’s this.

Depending on your class you should be able to solo a lot of the world fellowship quests, dungeons might be trickier but can be done if you know what you’re doing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

anyone play on treebeard? i see its huge reduced xp rates and capped at 50, is it worth playing around on?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

queeb posted:

anyone play on treebeard? i see its huge reduced xp rates and capped at 50, is it worth playing around on?

Treebeard and other progression servers require a VIP monthly sub to play.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Drashin posted:

Speaking of Beroning can someone post or link a good solo beorning build?

https://www.lotrobasics.com/2020/06/beorning-class-guide.html?m=1

If you're on the Landroval server and starting fresh, let me know! Would love to play along with a new dwarf.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
there will be plenty of new characters when 30.3 comes out on the 13th. I personally already have the name Punchin McFists reserved for my drunken hobbit brawler

i mean, the class can completely suck and i'll still be cackling at the spectacle of a hobbit punching orcs to death

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I last played this game in 2010 and just downloaded it because I was bored when sick. It appears I have some characters on "Silverlode" but the servers are all different now. Looks like I can transfer them for free to "Bullroarer" or "Palantir". Any preference in either?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I last played this game in 2010 and just downloaded it because I was bored when sick. It appears I have some characters on "Silverlode" but the servers are all different now. Looks like I can transfer them for free to "Bullroarer" or "Palantir". Any preference in either?
Those are just test servers, if you're actually gonna play again just re-roll until they sort out the transfers to live.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

fenix down posted:

Those are just test servers, if you're actually gonna play again just re-roll until they sort out the transfers to live.

Ahhh interesting okay, will try that out. Thanks!

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Do you get any passive benefits for being in a guild? If so can some goon please add Skrimira to the guild if it is still open

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Drashin posted:

Do you get any passive benefits for being in a guild? If so can some goon please add Skrimira to the guild if it is still open

Passive, not really. Active, very much so. Guilds aka Kinships have ranks, which allow them to have more functions and members. It's stuff that revolves around their kinship house. They can acquire their own auctioneer, banker, stable master and so on. One of the nicest additions are the crafting ingredient crates, which can be used by every member once a day.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New patch is up - if you pre-ordered Gundabad you can make a brawler now. Fear the mighty hobbit Punchin McFists, coming to punch orcs in the face near you.

Also, your legendaries are broken now. Here's a good quick guide on the new system.

https://easilyamused.notion.site/New-Legendary-Item-System-U30-3-e8f26cdd1d8e45efad82d75d39d40062

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been binging DDO the past few days and it got me thinking of giving this a shot. Never played LotRO so I figured why not. I generally prefer casters so it looks like my choices are rune keeper, lore master, and minstrel? Of those which is best at soloing? I'm only up in the super early am hours so I generally won't be finding groups

e: Ah, looks like RK is premium or VIP. Cash is tight this month so I don't want to drop money on games. Think I'll go with lore master. Pets and AoEs and CC are all my bag

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Loremaster is absolutely the best solo caster, although almost every class can wipe the floor with most things until level 105ish. (Captains and burglars excluded)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

I've been binging DDO the past few days and it got me thinking of giving this a shot. Never played LotRO so I figured why not. I generally prefer casters so it looks like my choices are rune keeper, lore master, and minstrel? Of those which is best at soloing? I'm only up in the super early am hours so I generally won't be finding groups

e: Ah, looks like RK is premium or VIP. Cash is tight this month so I don't want to drop money on games. Think I'll go with lore master. Pets and AoEs and CC are all my bag

Don't forget to use the code that gives you a metric shitload of content for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So how brawly is the brawler?