Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ttNVagz.gifv

http://www.hiphoptrooper.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wasn’t there recently an entire comic book series based on Lucas’s insane original concept for The Star Wars?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hazo posted:

Wasn’t there recently an entire comic book series based on Lucas’s insane original concept for The Star Wars?

There was one done by Marvel called ”The Star Wars” in 2013-14 that was reprinted later with the various Infinities alternate timeline stories from the early 00s.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, it was a neat concept for a comic book but the story just plain sucked. What we got in 1977 was way better.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
What was the original story

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s just The Hidden Fortress

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t know what that is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a movie, one that star wars cribs from... more than liberally.

But Google Star Wars original script and you can read The Star Wars: From The Journal of Whillis or whatever it's called.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the rebel insignia actually appear in the first trilogy?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's a movie, one that star wars cribs from... more than liberally.

It's even namedropped!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Baron Porkface posted:

Does the rebel insignia actually appear in the first trilogy?

It's on Luke's pilot helmet. My guess is it was retconned into being the Rebel insignia like the Enterprise ship's insignia became the Federation insignia

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

A few different pilots had the logo on their helmets, so it wasn't just Luke at least.

My guess is that it was supposed to be the Rebel logo from the start - costume designer John Mollo did specific work on the different faction insignias.

The Imperial symbol went through a number of revisions:

And the circular design wasn't the first one - the earlier designs actually had more of a Star Trek feel:

So it's possible Lucas didn't like the arrowhead version of the Imperial logo for the bad guys, so Mollo incorporated that feeling of upward motion into his (at the time) rounder logo for the Rebellion:

Mollo's sketches for the sequel would also use the familiar symbol as the baseline on his Rebel costumes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Robot Style posted:

A few different pilots had the logo on their helmets, so it wasn't just Luke at least.

My guess is that it was supposed to be the Rebel logo from the start - costume designer John Mollo did specific work on the different faction insignias.

The Imperial symbol went through a number of revisions:

*sheev voice* the logo of the FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE shall by my decree be a blueberry pie as viewed from above

*thunderous applause*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I find it somewhat difficult to reconcile the first two pieces of concept art, which appears to have been drawn by an enthusiastic 10-year-old, with the incredible work done by Ralph McQuarrie.

Also: The character on the right's combination of goggles plus pursed (or maybe actually compressed?? who knows) lips just works for me.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

I find it somewhat difficult to reconcile the first two pieces of concept art, which appears to have been drawn by an enthusiastic 10-year-old, with the incredible work done by Ralph McQuarrie.

There's a big leap in quality in Mollo's drawings for Empire compared to the first movie, but that might be due to Star Wars being the first movie he was the costume designer for. Prior to that he was a military uniform buff, and worked as a historical advisor on stuff like Barry Lyndon, where he probably didn't actually have to do much illustration.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

McQuarrie paints starbirds on the pilots helmets in his ESB concept art but I've never seen it on his Star Wars work and I've never seen it in Mollo's Star Wars work. I can't remember if the generic plane helmet + blue starbird is in Star Wars but it's definitely in ESB (Dack and others). I don't think it's on any uniforms in ROTJ but it's possible. The sequels seem to have started putting it on uniforms

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

A lot of people worked on Star Wars, and not every sketch in the ideation phase is going to be a classic masterpiece.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

not all of this stuff was originally intended for public consumption. mcquarrie is the outlier here, not the basic sketches to try out shapes and colors.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's no meaningful McQuarrie/Mollo comparison to make because their work serves entirely different purposes at different phases of making Star Wars

And I love Yellow Gloves Rebel he looks like he walked straight out of Moebius

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Looking at those initial designs for the Death Star gunner and how incredibly goofy they look, it's amazing they made it work.

It makes no sense, and anyone wearing one of those helmet in a facility built without handrails would just loving die. But it meshes with the whole aesthetic so well that you don't question it for a moment.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It makes no sense, and anyone wearing one of those helmet in a facility built without handrails would just loving die.

Yeah but you can fill the jaw with snacks before shifts

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Looking at those initial designs for the Death Star gunner and how incredibly goofy they look, it's amazing they made it work.

It makes no sense, and anyone wearing one of those helmet in a facility built without handrails would just loving die. But it meshes with the whole aesthetic so well that you don't question it for a moment.

They look like a homestar runner design sketch.
You're welcome.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Finger Prince posted:

They look like a homestar runner design sketch.

Oh. My. God.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ingmar terdman posted:

I can't remember if the generic plane helmet + blue starbird is in Star Wars but it's definitely in ESB (Dack and others). I don't think it's on any uniforms in ROTJ but it's possible. The sequels seem to have started putting it on uniforms

It is, you see it several times as the pilots are preparing to take off from Yavin. Most (If not all) of the helmets in ESB were the same ones used in ANH, so you’ll see some of the more distinctive designs from Red and Gold squadron pilots in the background as Rogue squadron is getting ready for the battle of Hoth.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Robot Style posted:

There's a big leap in quality in Mollo's drawings for Empire compared to the first movie, but that might be due to Star Wars being the first movie he was the costume designer for. Prior to that he was a military uniform buff, and worked as a historical advisor on stuff like Barry Lyndon, where he probably didn't actually have to do much illustration.
I can see that. The drawings in the bottom image definitely look much better.

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of people worked on Star Wars, and not every sketch in the ideation phase is going to be a classic masterpiece.

Cease to Hope posted:

not all of this stuff was originally intended for public consumption. mcquarrie is the outlier here, not the basic sketches to try out shapes and colors.
Fair enough, but look at that rendering of Vader.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uAOXIVK.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is most of Star Wars tbh.

Like, don't think about AT-ATs or cloud cars for more than 3 seconds just enjoy that it looks cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

This is most of Star Wars tbh.

Like, don't think about AT-ATs or cloud cars for more than 3 seconds just enjoy that it looks cool.

The most Star Wars thing would be to retcon some contrived technical reason explaining their existence, then shoehorn that into some sequel, spinoff, or EU novel, thus making it Fully Legitimate Science Based Facts that people can argue "this is stupid" "well actually, it is you who are stupid" until the heat death of the universe.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The @@ is cool and that's all that matters

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
As a weapon of terror I'd argue it works pretty well*. Especially against infantry.

Also, there are different types of shields. Some stop physical objects, others stop energy blasts and the repulsors which allow things to hover. So there was a need for a vehicle which used neither.

As long as you're not in a rush to get anywhere. See the tank chase in the Bad Batch for a good example of "Oh no, they're very slowly getting away!"

* Seeing the empire using them casually as pickup trucks, however, that makes no sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

The @@ is cool and that's all that matters

ngl that's a seriously cool toy for the early 80s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense that heavy things might not work as well with hover technology, especially if they have to hold up to heavy fire, although that movie also has an entire dang hovering city, so whatever. I guess the city doesn't have to maneuver. I like the idea that maybe with hover technology everywhere, maybe the galaxy is filled with places that have no roads and terrain that has never been leveled, so you'd have to do something bizarre to get heavy vehicles out there, but that's not really something I think the rest of the franchise has tried exploring.

And after you wade through all the explanations, there's still weird tactical questions like why do they use the same vehicle for being their heavy weapons and for carrying troops into a hostile area.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd like to think that the control panel over the bottomless chasm that Obi-Wan uses would be some kind of system that isn't supposed to be directly messed with, which'd make sense if he was trying to disable the system in a way that it couldn't be quickly fixed. It'd be interesting if a maintenance guy for that system would have to wear a complicated harness or if they closed down the entire system to extend a better accessway.

But then a lot of other Star Wars stuff has copied that setup of a control panel over increasingly inexplicable bottomless pits.

I do like the goofy long helmets though and hope they get used more.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The retcon that the Geonsians originally designed the Death Star makes the pits and no railings make sense. If you can loving fly those are now access shafts.

I can’t believe I’m giving them credit for this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The AT-AT is cool because it looks awesome and makes the Hoth scene the best. But it's like, a transport where everything it needs to deploy is about 75 feet off the ground. it can be destroyed by a wire wrapping around it's legs and also it's head just blows up if you shoot it a few times and has 2 lasers that cover a max of 45 degrees. it was born to die.

Like how the hell do people even get out of that thing? Ziplines or

Really almost everything in the OT is amazingly impractical but it all works with the aesthetic so well it's like, who cares.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

veni veni veni posted:

Like how the hell do people even get out of that thing? Ziplines or

Fast-roping.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's like an airplane. It has a boarding hatch and several emergency exit routes. I can't believe I had to dig out my technical journal to tell you this you loving losers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
[nerd lore effort post incoming]

If we're talking AT-AT's, we have to mention AT-AT delivery systems.

When Empire Strikes Back first came out, everyone wondered how the hell you could get these behemoths to the surface from a space ship - this is before it was canon that Star Destroyers can go right down to the surface and some, like the Venator class, even had landing gears.

Now, the current canon is that the Empire uses Gozanti cruisers to ferry them to the surface:

There's also these from Solo, the Y-45 armored transport hauler:

And fan art, and ILM challenges, have provided their own possible solutions:

But, for a brief wonderful period, the official explanation for how an AT-AT got to the surface of a planet was with a Theta-class AT-AT barge, or it's big brother, the Y-85 Titan dropship.

It's not easy finding many images of them, as apart from the RTS game, I don't think they've ever been shown in any media. But someone was nice enough to use Lego to show how a Theta class unloaded its cargo of a single AT-AT:

They're basically shells with heavy duty repulsor lifters attached.

But, this brings us to the Titan Dropship, one of the most magnificently stupid things in the Star Wars canon. Capable of holding four AT-ATs and four AT-STs at the same time and possessing what must be the most useless laser canon in the entire galaxy:

And I don't know why, but I love this ridiculous slug. It goes up, it goes down. The heat generated by its repulsors is enough to melt anything under it if it stays in one spot for too long and it has two huge guns which it can only aim by rotating it's entire fuselage.

Fuselarge.

But, a long time ago, this was the official version of how all Imperial heavy equipment got to surface of a planet.

By metal slugs :allears:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 11, 2021

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I can't help but wonder if those were the direct inspiration for the Trade Federation MTTs, but only after someone said "those things are meant to fly?! No. Hell no."

They're certainly the same shape, and have the equally useless blasters in the same place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There definitely seems to be a shared theme.

And, that brings to mind another vehicle with incredibly useless guns - the Imperial combat assault tank: