Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing that breaks me is trying to imagine how time zones will work if we ever put colonies on Mars.

For the Moon, it's easy. It's 29 Earth days per day/night cycle, so you're going to have to use artificial light. Use GMT or Beijing time or Congo time or whatever. Indoors, the lights will follow that time standard, and you can put adaptive tint on windows or something to keep people's cycle from getting too messed up.

But for Mars, days are 24 hours, 37 minutes. People are gonna want to find a way to just make it work. The simplest answer I can think of is to speed up the planet's rotation. We're in over our heads with this whole time business.
In Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, they designed all the clocks to just sit at 24:00:00 for 37 minutes before ticking over to 00:00:01. Called it the Martian Timeslip, treated it as a luxury of living on Mars, same as the low gravity.

But they never talked about time zones, I realize now.

Having the clocks count from 00:00:00 to 24:37:22 would be an awkward kludge, but a workable one. Split time zones along every 15 degrees of longitude. Never attempt to figure out what day it is on the other planet without a lookup table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Just make martian seconds 428241ns longer that earth seconds

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Just make martian seconds 428241ns longer that earth seconds

yes, this

then we will still be able to divide by 86,400 to display times in Excel

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I like China's idea of time zones

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OwlFancier posted:

Most spiders generally look for three anchor points to attach their webs to, so that's why they tend to build them in the corners of rooms or doorways because they make the right shape.

If you want to deter spiders from living in your house, simply avoid having any corners.

Keeps the Hounds of Tindalos away too.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Phanatic posted:

Keeps the Hounds of Tindalos away too.

Racist cats can still get through though

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

canis minor posted:

I like China's idea of time zones

The Swatch internet time school of thought

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I keep a couple links handy for talking about abolishing time zones, but that's not what you wrote.

So, no comment here. Please proceed.

I think the author is going about this the wrong way IMO.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing that breaks me is trying to imagine how time zones will work if we ever put colonies on Mars.

For the Moon, it's easy. It's 29 Earth days per day/night cycle, so you're going to have to use artificial light. Use GMT or Beijing time or Congo time or whatever. Indoors, the lights will follow that time standard, and you can put adaptive tint on windows or something to keep people's cycle from getting too messed up.

But for Mars, days are 24 hours, 37 minutes. People are gonna want to find a way to just make it work. The simplest answer I can think of is to speed up the planet's rotation. We're in over our heads with this whole time business.

Elon* is just gonna invent a new concept of time with Mars hours. Probably something metric live 10 hours per cycle. The hard part is synchronization with earth, but that's gonna be poo poo no matter what you do because the orbits and rotations are different.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me about Australia is the racism and coal fetishism the half hour time zone. That's just whack for no reason.

*Actually someone not-slaving for him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Obviously we just need to make the switch to Stardates.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Obviously we just need to make the switch to Stardates.
Unix time already exists. :colbert:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you have to totally decouple the two time systems and just look it up, but having that desync actually wouldn't matter much. Those articles Vavrek posted mention a use case of someone in the UK trying to call someone in Australia, but that will never be an issue between Earth and Mars because even at their closest they're still three light-minutes apart, so the closest you could get to "live" communication anyway would have a 6-minute gap between sending a message and getting a response.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Racist cats can still get through though

the cat was only ironically racist

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh yeah, funny charts:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It’s almost as good as the time the boat was stuck

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chad accuracy, virgin precision

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vavrek posted:

In Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, they designed all the clocks to just sit at 24:00:00 for 37 minutes before ticking over to 00:00:01. Called it the Martian Timeslip, treated it as a luxury of living on Mars, same as the low gravity.

But they never talked about time zones, I realize now.

Having the clocks count from 00:00:00 to 24:37:22 would be an awkward kludge, but a workable one. Split time zones along every 15 degrees of longitude. Never attempt to figure out what day it is on the other planet without a lookup table.

This would break so, so many algorithms and business processes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A 37 minute period every day when crimes are legal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

But for Mars, days are 24 hours, 37 minutes.

:wrong:

That’s Martian sidereal day, the rate at which it rotates on its axis, measured against an inertial reference frame or equivalently the background stars.

The equivalent period on Earth is a little over twenty-three hours and fifty-six minutes. We don’t use that on our clocks because it we started the New Year at midnight, by early July, high noon would occur at what the clock said should be midnight.

We’d run one day per year fast, because we failed to account for the orbit of the planet about the Sun, or, in geocentric terminology, the Sun’s eastward movement along the Ecliptic (of approximately one degree per day on Earth).

On the plus side, Vega and all the other stars not named “Sun” would rise, transit the meridian, and set at the same time every day (for a given point on the planet). Very convenient for astronomers.

What you want the Martian solar day, which is, to the nearest minute, twenty tour hours and forty minutes.

tl;dr: Yes, we should abolish time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This would break so, so many algorithms and business processes.
Not seeing a problem.

Seconds since unix epoch still exists.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just going to drop this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

TLDR: The trick to doing any time related thing, as is the case with most things in life, is to have someone else google figure it all out for you!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Google’s leap smear is the worst crime against time since BIPM decoupled the definition of the second from the rotation of the Earth in 1960.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If service restoration has an SLA of 5 business days, and a user on the Moon reports a problem with a server on Mars that's administered by a team on Earth that is in a time zone that will be adjusting their time forward an hour in two days, what time does the SLA breach?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If service restoration has an SLA of 5 business days, and a user on the Moon reports a problem with a server on Mars that's administered by a team on Earth that is in a time zone that will be adjusting their time forward an hour in two days, what time does the SLA breach?

Lmao, who cares, we're not gonna make it anyway, we're just promising things.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Depends, are you looking for MST or EST?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

All time should be Unix time. It's not like humanity will last past 2038 anyway.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Y238k problem

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Zil posted:

Y238k problem

you joke, but...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1445846653454323725
What the gently caress, Virginia

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That's interesting. Blue eyed people gotta be like ten percent of the US pop.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Oh I know, just trying to coin a term, but nothing rolls off the tongue like Y2K.

Where are my hazel brothers and sisters at?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Claiming blue, looks like

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

No heterochromia anywhere? Tsk tsk.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

The Bloop posted:

Claiming blue, looks like

Thats quite a stretch, isn't hazel a variant of brown?

Mescal posted:

That's interesting. Blue eyed people gotta be like ten percent of the US pop.

I think it's way more than that and also I would assume most governors are WASPs and thus more likely to have North European traits.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zil posted:

Oh I know, just trying to coin a term, but nothing rolls off the tongue like Y2K.

I dunno, maybe we will have another date-related problem in the year 238,000! You still have a chance to be right!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1446155869612388356
:dumbrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:nice: