Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i usually just travel with my m4 and a 35mm lens, but i've considered adding a 90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1445090626966487042

Extremely Good Poster Foone has a quick thread about the Mavica

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1445091279973478405

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Oh wow, pretty sure my dad had one of these. I think it was my first experience with a digital camera. I remember being confused about looking at a screen on the back instead of through a viewfinder.

"Up to 1.5 hours of battery life." :allears:

Anyway, if you're looking for some cheap engagement on your Flickr account, Flickr is tossing out retweets like candy with the hashtags #instagramdown and #flickrisfine since Instagram has been down all day. :laugh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had one. My first digital camera. To get full resolution, it shot two frames (there were two types of shots, field and frame). It was great at macro shots, poo poo at everything else. And I loved it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The thread got huge quickly, it’s a pretty great dive into them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The timing of a family visitation in the SW lined up well with peak fall color in Colorado so I took a few days to tour the state and man it's been an experience. Hanging out with other folks taking uninspired photos from landmark locations I thought would have entertainment value, but the endless fish stories and attempts to predict what spots look the best gets real tiring.

There was even a Peter Lik debate!

Don't think I could do this again, but I guess anyone that likes rocks and trees landscapes should do it at least once.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Photos of groups of people taking uninspired photos is a good time then when they leave you get to take photos of the trash they leave behind. That's the Dorkroom way

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://icantdescri.be/#/tourists/

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm curious about the Peter lik debate

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was nothing new, just the tired "he's a hack!" and "well he's rich and I'm not so.." type stuff. I was surprised that people still think about it.

No trash to photograph, but as people were taking pictures of a mountain reflection in a beaver pond, I was taking pictures of sticks in the water.

And I could never hope to pull off what Isaac Sachs does there. I couldn't sit there and wait for the perfect group to stand in the right spot.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sliding into your DMs to sell you a camera on FB marketplace

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I showed you my canon 7 pls respond

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I thought guns were illegal down there.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

It was nothing new, just the tired "he's a hack!" and "well he's rich and I'm not so.." type stuff. I was surprised that people still think about it.

I checked out Peter Lik's site and, uhhhh, he offers financing on his prints. :stare:

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Supposedly reputable establishment Lens Culture just published their 2021 street photo winners: https://www.lensculture.com/2021-lensculture-street-photography-award-winners

Don't know if I am just generally despondent about the state of street photography at the moment but I found it hard to get excited about any of the winners. The first pic of the winning series with the bored lady and the fireworks is good but the rest of the series is a bit blah.

Third place in the single shots seems ludicrously under exposed to me but there you go.

First place in the single photos is nice but it's a goddamn Fred Herzog photo. Is this where street photography is right now? Still the same aesthetic and ideas as 1950?!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I think it's more indicative of how awards are dolled out right now

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-world?sc=18&f=

These aren't interesting either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ughhhhh I got the "you have a nice camera, I know it's a long shot but can you do this wedding at the end of the month??" speech today.

I don't know how to shoot people, I don't really like it, and weddings are even more alien to me.

Also I'd need to learn the skill of demanding payment for the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know lightroom is kind of a bad word around the internet lately and it's certainly justified because now they have actual competition, but if you're one of the goofs like me still paying for it, the new masking tools are slick as heck and are 100% worth a look.

Want to mask something from the background? Draw over it with the paintbrush mask, add a color range mask and select colors around the object, and boom done.

Certainly something you could be doing in photoshop but it's nice to only need one program.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I pay for LR because can't find a better solution for synchronising my library and edits to and from my phone. It's P good at that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

So, I got a batch feed scanner for what I think is 10-12 thousand photo prints from my parents, but my brother and I are looking to sell the house in the next month or two and that still leaves all the negatives and slides. Are there any dorkroom recommended scanners for slides and negatives? I have a couple of Ektagraphic III projectors and 15 carousels for them, but that's obviously nowhere near enough to handle thousands of slides, nevermind store them, plus I'd like to scan them.

Any suggestions are welcome and before you ask, yes, both of my parents were pretty much textbook hoarders and it's taken us a few years to clear out the house and sort out the very rarely found treasure from the junk (not exaggerating, there were a few things I almost threw out without looking at them that I would have slapped myself in the head if I did.)
Just for laughs, I want to give an update about the fact that we grossly underestimated how may photos we had to scan and I think the count is well north of 50,000. My brother did almost all of them with an automatic scanner and among my other projects, I'm going to design and build an auto loader for a slide scanner because I don't want to lose anything but to a much greater extent I do not want to sit there manually feeding 10,000- 20,000 slides into a scanner that does one at a time. I should probably include USB emulation so I don't end up running a deathmatch between a servo and a keyboard button.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I don't sweat my Adobe CC subscription since I get the educational pricing, and the cost (or bother) of rehosting my portfolio rather than using the included built in Adobe one is nearly worth the full price to me anyways.

xzzy posted:

Ughhhhh I got the "you have a nice camera, I know it's a long shot but can you do this wedding at the end of the month??" speech today.

I don't know how to shoot people, I don't really like it, and weddings are even more alien to me.

Also I'd need to learn the skill of demanding payment for the time.

Yeah, getting asked to do this is basically "I kinda like you, but not enough for you to actually enjoy being at my wedding". I overheard one of my co-workers with an upcoming wedding get asked if she was going to ask a friend to do it and was pretty impressed she'd worked this out on her own as a non-photographer. I have purposely kept a low profile with my photography so I'm fortunately not on anyone's radar.

The graceful way to say "no" is something along the lines of "I do have a decent camera, but it's not actually a good set up for wedding photography at all" (it might even be true!). If they offer to pay for the gear hire, just pretend you wouldn't know how to use it, most people should either be fooled or get the hint.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We got a thread to post some of your favorite photos you took in 2021: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989488

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I recently bought the Fuji x100v - I am so pleased with it and it has totally changed the way I think about the hobby of photography… I have a canon m50, a couple of sigma primes and a kit lens; really thinking about selling it all now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

General Ledger posted:

I recently bought the Fuji x100v - I am so pleased with it and it has totally changed the way I think about the hobby of photography… I have a canon m50, a couple of sigma primes and a kit lens; really thinking about selling it all now.

The x100 series from Fuji is one of their greatest coups. They take great photos, they’re small, and Fuji’s color profile always looks great with skin tones.

I don’t own one anymore - I had an x100f that I gave to my sister-in-law. I have an X-T30ii with a little pancake lens that is almost as small as the x100. My favorite little camera to take with me if I’m doing digital.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their medium format cameras got real popular real fast too. I think they're overkill, 100MP is just silly, but I suppose people that make their living off taking pictures might see value in it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've had some variation of the X100 series over the past decade (currently have an X100F) and although I basically only shoot film now it's the one digital camera I couldn't part with while I sold off my entire Olympus system. Such a great user experience and of course the viewfinder is magic, it was the perfect travel camera. I also blame it for giving me a taste for film rangefinders which has not been good for my wallet. Occasionally I'm tempted by the Ricoh GR series but only because the film versions are notoriously prone to failure.

I haven't upgraded to a V yet since there wasn't a significant improvement to low light sensitivity and although the new lens is nice, I never minded the softness of the older versions. Gotta love the film sims though.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
The film simulation is great and although I’m new to it as a concept it seems to be more than an instagram filter and encourages creativity, and very simply going out to shoot - which I have waned on with the canon products I’ve been using so far.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

xzzy posted:

Their medium format cameras got real popular real fast too. I think they're overkill, 100MP is just silly, but I suppose people that make their living off taking pictures might see value in it.

Because I’m a big stupid dummy I picked up a GFX50S ii - the latest iteration of the 50MP models. The IBIS in it is excellent. AF is a little slow and dumb in lower light but that’s not really a blocker for me. I didn’t buy it for action shots.

That thing is wild. Really enjoying it - I’ve been able to get some nice dynamic range for a lot of the indoor pseudo-still life stuff I do. Still learning how to best use it but really enjoying it.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

xzzy posted:

Honestly, I've worked for quite a few photographers and most still shoot with the Canon 5DS even if they could easily afford the Fujis. The one guy I know with a Fuji GFX 100 shoots it in crop mode a lot of the time or just uses the Canon.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PushingKingston posted:

Honestly, I've worked for quite a few photographers and most still shoot with the Canon 5DS even if they could easily afford the Fujis. The one guy I know with a Fuji GFX 100 shoots it in crop mode a lot of the time or just uses the Canon.

Honestly the primary reason to get the GFX100* is if you need the improved AF badly.

Otherwise, ya - the 50MP stuff is plenty good. Which I think they see given the GFX50S ii update.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a new weird rare camera. A Rittreck II-B. A 6x9 slr with interchangeable backs, MLU and a focal plane curtain shutter. I need to take it apart and service it but I'm excited to get our, use it and adapt some barrel lenses to it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm new here. I've decided that I don't have enough expensive hobbies. A friend of mine printed me the requisite film leader trim guide and I've shot a roll of HP5 and sent it off. I love messing with this thing already and I'm itching to shoot more, but I'm waiting for my results to make sure this lens doesn't suck rear end/have a problem focusing. Looking forward to getting clowned on by everyone!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

welcome to the art from

the only advice i can give you is that your vision/having something to say is more important than the tools you use and to be open to criticism

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, welcome, we're very open in our critique here. It's imperative to be able to separate criticism of yourself from criticism of your photos. Looking forward to seeing what you shoot! We've got a wide ranger of shooters from solely film to solely digital, birders, street togs, artists and everything in between and a lot of knowledge. As always, :justpost:

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Just hopping in with breaking news that Eric Kim has confirmed on his blog that he does indeed wear Vibram five finger shoes. Also the 'best walking clothes' for photographers includes his Eric kim wrist strap Mark two. Don't go walking without one!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i'd die walking around dressed head to toe in wool

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Merino is known for keeping you from stinking, it's unfortunate it doesn't work on Eric's photos.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
MAXIMUM WALKING

lmao

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hello thread. I have just bought my first ever digital camera - a Fuji X-t20 - mainly for use as a camera for streaming. Naturally, as I've never touched one of these fuckers before, I immediately feel incredibly overwhelmed and like this was a terrible mistake. Basically I'm currently that one Achewood strip where Roast Beef buries his new shirt.

Hopefully though, I'll get over this intense, visceral reaction to something not automatically explaining itself to me, and end up spamming the thread with cat pictures and out of focus shots of a rose. In the meantime, however, much screaming is to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Welcome. First order of the day is to learn the exposure triangle (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) and how to change those different values to get the shot you want (and how a change in one usually necessitates a change in the others to get the exposure you want).

Can’t speak about steaming or video but for photography that’s a good place to start.

Then once you’ve mastered these fairly simple elements you’ll realise that oh poo poo it’s all about light and composition and welp better strap myself for decades of learning, failing and slowly improving. Enjoy!