Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Where I actually like the X-Trans IV cameras more is that half stop of dynamic range for stills. It does make a difference.

Also the X-T2’s 4K is behind the high-end video curve now but is still really good-looking. It’s not like Canon a few years ago where suddenly the newer stuff from other manufacturers started vastly outclassing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sigma released a 24mm f/2 lens for full frame cameras, sweet. I think I'm going to upgrade my 24/2 Nikkor. 24-50-85 will be a versatile kit.

I weighed my 24/2 Nikkor and it is 470g with adapter and hood. Most likely the new Sigma will be lighter and smaller even with the hood. Should work well with Panasonic S1 & Vertical grip.

Now Sigma needs to release a decent 50/1.2 or 50/1.4. My 50/1.4 Art is huge with the adapter and I hate it.

I also put my 85/1.4 DN's huge hood away and bought a 77mm small square hood. The original hood was bigger than the actual lens..

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is there a way to do a full factory reset of a X100F?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Brrrmph posted:

Is there a way to do a full factory reset of a X100F?

Yes, you need to do both a "shooting menu reset" and a "setup reset" and it will be just like out of the box.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Hello again thread, it's been several years.

I am primarily a Leica M/Sigma shooter personally but neither is capable of professional work when results matter AND time is limited (so most in person pro work). Before COVID-19 hit us, I had a Canon EOS R and a good set of lenses. Sadly, they were financed, and photography work died completely for me so I used all of my remaining photography side hustle budget plus sold the EOS R and kit to pay off it's financing. Work requests are starting to trickle back in so I'm looking into buying new gear. I personally was hoping that Sigma would have a full frame body by now, but alas.

Right now the most cost appealing solution is Fuji, where I won't have to spend more than I am comfortable with to get what I want to work with. I don't want to go back to financing gear when everything is still getting shut down left and right and this includes every studio rental in town.

I'm looking at a X-pro 3, the 50-140/2.8, the 16-55/2.8, the 56/1.2, a couple new prograde sdxc cards to use redundantly, and a wireless trigger to use my existing off camera monolights with Fuji cameras. This is about 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of replacing my Canon kit.

My thoughts are that neither the 16-55 or 50-140 are on their A game at 56mm and that focal length is probably the most important for photos of individuals, other than the farther side of the 50-140. For groups, the 16-55 has seemingly decent performance on the wide end so I'm not as worried about that problem there.

I don't really shoot video, and that seems to be the major advantage of the X-T4 besides the $100 of cost, but every other camera I currently own is a rangefinder style and the optical viewfinder has some value for me.

Am I missing anything from the "standard" kit besides the 10-24? That range is not something I use often and I have other cameras and lenses that cover it well if absolutely needed.

Any suggested amendments or revisions to that shortlist?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

windex posted:

Hello again thread, it's been several years.

I am primarily a Leica M/Sigma shooter personally but neither is capable of professional work when results matter AND time is limited (so most in person pro work). Before COVID-19 hit us, I had a Canon EOS R and a good set of lenses. Sadly, they were financed, and photography work died completely for me so I used all of my remaining photography side hustle budget plus sold the EOS R and kit to pay off it's financing. Work requests are starting to trickle back in so I'm looking into buying new gear. I personally was hoping that Sigma would have a full frame body by now, but alas.

Right now the most cost appealing solution is Fuji, where I won't have to spend more than I am comfortable with to get what I want to work with. I don't want to go back to financing gear when everything is still getting shut down left and right and this includes every studio rental in town.

I'm looking at a X-pro 3, the 50-140/2.8, the 16-55/2.8, the 56/1.2, a couple new prograde sdxc cards to use redundantly, and a wireless trigger to use my existing off camera monolights with Fuji cameras. This is about 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of replacing my Canon kit.

My thoughts are that neither the 16-55 or 50-140 are on their A game at 56mm and that focal length is probably the most important for photos of individuals, other than the farther side of the 50-140. For groups, the 16-55 has seemingly decent performance on the wide end so I'm not as worried about that problem there.

I don't really shoot video, and that seems to be the major advantage of the X-T4 besides the $100 of cost, but every other camera I currently own is a rangefinder style and the optical viewfinder has some value for me.

Am I missing anything from the "standard" kit besides the 10-24? That range is not something I use often and I have other cameras and lenses that cover it well if absolutely needed.

Any suggested amendments or revisions to that shortlist?

If you can front the cash, buy the gear secondhand where it's further down its depreciation curve.

If cost is a factor the 16-55 is really only a marginal upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens. I didn't want it to be true (my old 5D + 24-70L outfit was probably my favourite all time combo and was hoping to recreate that in a smaller package), but reading reviews and looking at the comparison shots I really can't argue with it. It's not that the 16-55 is bad, but the kit lens is that good. You can bring its cost down further by buying it in a combo with the XT3.

I don't use my 56mm f/1.2 very much but it seems to be pretty competent.

I went with an X-H1 rather than an XT2 or 3 because I wanted IBIS, which to me is a really useful feature even though I don't do any video. There is supposed to be an X-H2 coming out in the near future, might be worth considering if IBIS matters to you; would be particularly handy if you were shooting your M-mount lenses on an adapter.

edit: you might also consider Sony; most of the Sony glass is quite expensive compared to more established systems, but the A7II onwards are supposed to be quite decent at autofocusing with adapters (there are pros using them for weddings). That'd make for a great platform to use your M-mount lenses on too. I am sorta waiting for tha A7rII prices to drop off so I can scoop one up; it'd be a great platform for old manual glass, not to mention all the great, relatively affordable EF glass out there.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 25, 2021

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If you can front the cash, buy the gear secondhand where it's further down its depreciation curve.

What's decent in 2021 for bulk orders of used gear? Adorama has been hit or miss for me in the past but in total would maybe save me $800 based on what I saw available used, I have no local used gear shops, and KEH last I knew went to hell. Did that improve?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I went with an X-H1 rather than an XT2 or 3 because I wanted IBIS, which to me is a really useful feature even though I don't do any video. There is supposed to be an X-H2 coming out in the near future, might be worth considering if IBIS matters to you; would be particularly handy if you were shooting your M-mount lenses on an adapter.

Honestly, most of my local customers don't appreciate any of the charms of M mount glass. I used them sometimes on the EOS R, but I don't usually need stabilization at all because I have battery powered monolights and tend to use them old school. I used them a lot (on M mount bodies, even) in Japan, but people there seem to have more of a connection to photography and enjoy the experience. In my neck of the woods in the US people get impatient and annoyed if I don't have a tablet connected over wifi to show them the photo I just took right now (which I have, but drat).

I know there's an X-H2 coming and I may even buy one if I can extract some money out of this gear, then I get a free X-pro 3 is my thinking here. I'm basically weighing a $6500 opportunity cost for a $1000 short term reward and it's something I'd like to do but I am also chasing family/friends/acquaintances to make up for the sizable gap even for used gear.

Importantly, I have money to execute this now on new gear and I figure 3-4 years to recover it, and if I can do it quicker than that, it'll keep me happy and busy. For me, being busy 4 days a month is great, and 2 days a month is necessary from the financial side to justify this gear. In Japan I generally had 3-6 jobs a month, but here it's usually 2-4.

Unfortunately I don't have any full frame autofocusing lenses for any system right now. Otherwise this would be a good idea. My main expense here is on glass. Fuji's glass is considerably cheaper over the required field of view for most portraiture, and it performs well to my eyes, which is how I landed here to begin with.

All good points though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

windex posted:

What's decent in 2021 for bulk orders of used gear? Adorama has been hit or miss for me in the past but in total would maybe save me $800 based on what I saw available used, I have no local used gear shops, and KEH last I knew went to hell. Did that improve?

Honestly, most of my local customers don't appreciate any of the charms of M mount glass. I used them sometimes on the EOS R, but I don't usually need stabilization at all because I have battery powered monolights and tend to use them old school. I used them a lot (on M mount bodies, even) in Japan, but people there seem to have more of a connection to photography and enjoy the experience. In my neck of the woods in the US people get impatient and annoyed if I don't have a tablet connected over wifi to show them the photo I just took right now (which I have, but drat).

I know there's an X-H2 coming and I may even buy one if I can extract some money out of this gear, then I get a free X-pro 3 is my thinking here. I'm basically weighing a $6500 opportunity cost for a $1000 short term reward and it's something I'd like to do but I am also chasing family/friends/acquaintances to make up for the sizable gap even for used gear.

Importantly, I have money to execute this now on new gear and I figure 3-4 years to recover it, and if I can do it quicker than that, it'll keep me happy and busy. For me, being busy 4 days a month is great, and 2 days a month is necessary from the financial side to justify this gear. In Japan I generally had 3-6 jobs a month, but here it's usually 2-4.

Unfortunately I don't have any full frame autofocusing lenses for any system right now. Otherwise this would be a good idea. My main expense here is on glass. Fuji's glass is considerably cheaper over the required field of view for most portraiture, and it performs well to my eyes, which is how I landed here to begin with.

All good points though.

I haven't bought used gear from a dealer in ages; I do know KEH has kinda sucked for a while (had a pretty unsatisfying experience ten years ago buying from them). I've generally done person-to-person for my secondhand gear; FB Marketplace has kinda taken over everything now, and there are also FB gear buy/sell groups to look at. eBay is also not bad; searching by "Sold" gives you a good idea of price. There tends to be a little inflation of prices there that reflect the seller fees though.

I probably should have asked what you shot, it sounds like portraiture/headshots? If you're a Leica shooter, maybe see about carving out a niche doing events/weddings as a second shooter for more candid/street type stuff (if that sounds appealing). I was thinking of doing something similar; I don't really want the hassle and pressure of running a wedding photography business myself (and a lot of the cliche stuff many clients expect just does not appeal to me), but I do enjoy hanging back and grabbing candids with a rangefinder or mirrorless. I've also been dipping my toe into wet plate collodion and was thinking that could be a good add-on to pitch.

Re: Sony vs Fuji, I absolutely hear you (it's why I switched to Fuji). I got the original A7 at launch and while I still have it, I've always had a very "it's fine"/hate relationship with the 24-70 f/4 as a bread and butter walkaround lens. The size and weight are good, but the IQ is just "OK" and the distortion is pretty noticeable. The G-Master zoom is just so friggin expensive though, and the Tamron is out because 28mm is just not wide enough for me on the long end. The Sony telephotos are similarly expensive and out of reach. It was between "get a used A7rII, and some EF glass to use with a Metabones" or switch to Fuji, and Fuji was just so much more economical than even my poor man's solution.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

second shooter

This is sage advice and I hadn't even considered it.

I'm not really into doing primary photography on weddings (because of the liability issues and the fact I just don't enjoy wedding related drama, I had my own once and that was enough) but this sounds fun. I reached out to some photographer friends this morning and got two jobs out of it next month that will help make up another few hundred bucks at least.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Which Fuji kit lens is considered the better option 18-55 or 16-80?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The 18-55.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 18-55mm is the good inexpensive kit lens but the 16-80mm is a great lens and if you can swing that you probably should.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

8th-snype posted:

The 18-55mm is the good inexpensive kit lens but the 16-80mm is a great lens and if you can swing that you probably should.

I'm rocking the 16-80 and whilst it's not without its limitations (max aperture f/4, heavier than the 18-55) it's pretty drat good in all other respects and the f/4 is constant throughout the zoom range. The 16-80 aperture ring has marked values and a nice click at each step, which to me feels much nicer to use than the fly-by-wire ring on the 18-55 where you need to look at the camera display to know what your aperture is set to. This might sound like a small thing but the chances are if you're going for a Fuji camera then you like physical controls, so this means you'll have that for aperture to complement the shutter and iso controls on the camera body.

e:
Also worth noting that whilst the extra 2mm at the wide end might not sound like much, it's actually pretty significant in terms of the change in field of view.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 26, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

8th-snype posted:

rolleyes posted:

I'm rocking the 16-80 and whilst it's not without its limitations (max aperture f/4, heavier than the 18-55) it's pretty drat good in all other respects and the f/4 is constant throughout the zoom range. The 16-80 aperture ring has marked values and a nice click at each step, which to me feels much nicer to use than the fly-by-wire ring on the 18-55 where you need to look at the camera display to know what your aperture is set to. This might sound like a small thing but the chances are if you're going for a Fuji camera then you like physical controls, so this means you'll have that for aperture to complement the shutter and iso controls on the camera body.

e:
Also worth noting that whilst the extra 2mm at the wide end might not sound like much, it's actually pretty significant in terms of the change in field of view.

Thank you both.

I think the kit lens. a macro, and maybe a fixed portrait lens would meet most of my needs. Long term I would like a wide angle and a longer zoom but that can wait.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I ended up selling my 16-80 this summer after about 10 months because to me it felt too soft wide open. Really useful focal length though, and the constant aperture is useful. I haven't used the 18-55 in years so can't really remember how it performed. Looking to get the 16-55 in the future, because even if it's about the same quality as the 16-80, the faster aperture is way more useful for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I ended up selling my 16-80 this summer after about 10 months because to me it felt too soft wide open. Really useful focal length though, and the constant aperture is useful. I haven't used the 18-55 in years so can't really remember how it performed. Looking to get the 16-55 in the future, because even if it's about the same quality as the 16-80, the faster aperture is way more useful for me.

The f2.8 would be my choice but I have to buy an entire range of lenses and a new body so $.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone know the going price for a used x pro 1 or have one for sale?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bought a Sigma 24/2 DG DN. Trip report: lens is good. Fully metal exterior, aperture ring is stiffer and better than in 85/1.4 DG DN. Everything just works. This is what I've always wanted, and Nikkor 24/2 Ai-S could not deliver IQ wise since the design was just too old. But the Sigma has it all.

450g with caps, hood and a 62mm Hoya HD filter.

(with 50/1.4 ART)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I was thinking of picking one up to mess around with as they used to be dirt cheap, but I think the pandemic might have given the prices on used ones a bit of a rebound. I think someone else in the thread was also commenting on it a few months ago.

Ihmemies posted:

Bought a Sigma 24/2 DG DN. Trip report: lens is good. Fully metal exterior, aperture ring is stiffer and better than in 85/1.4 DG DN. Everything just works. This is what I've always wanted, and Nikkor 24/2 Ai-S could not deliver IQ wise since the design was just too old. But the Sigma has it all.

450g with caps, hood and a 62mm Hoya HD filter.

(with 50/1.4 ART)

These are dope, like the cat especially (good use of WA + shallow DoF for a portrait)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't been watching X-Pro 1 prices but the 2 is more expensive than it was almost two years ago when the 3 got announced.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

qirex posted:

I haven't been watching X-Pro 1 prices but the 2 is more expensive than it was almost two years ago when the 3 got announced.

There seems to have been a rebound in prices for the xpro 1 and other fuji cameras using the same sensor based on youtubers saying it gives a more film like quality.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like supply in Japan (at the online spots I’d check) has dried up a bit, and they’re still holding on at 40,000 JPY and up.

I had thought about one used from the similar angles, something that’s a bit more lo-fi while still being well built and using the mount. Less interested in a X-Pro 2 because those are even more expensive for the same sensor as my X-T20.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I managed to find one that was sort of beat up and has to do the "sensor cleaning" thing every time I shut it off for $200 at a pawn shop and when I posted about it in... 2019? people thought it was a steal. I think some youtubers have started talking it up and online prices seem to be $450? If you're brave enough to go to pawn shops I highly recommend it for digicam unicorns

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My OMD has been found! I appreciate the input but I am delaying the XT4 purchase.

Pro tip when leaving on a work trip don’t hide your camera so well you cannot find it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am going to become the joker buy the Olympus 150-400

and become the joker

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

I am going to become the joker buy the Olympus 150-400

The one that sells for $7500?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that one yea

(Also trading in and selling a lot of stuff)

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
im so loving jealous

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Atlatl posted:

im so loving jealous

same. meanwhile I'm waffling over whether to buy a samyang/rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (v2 with the "weather-sealing") and leaning against it because i just spent $70 on importing a Pentax M-series 150mm f/3.5 (which owns)

anyone used one of those updated rokinons yet, for any system? i know people generally liked the first version but supposedly the build quality is greatly improved in the new one.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I recently bought an x-e1 to replace my x-pro1 cause it’s smaller and lighter but has the same sensor and quirks which I love. The issue is the evf on the x-e1 is so much darker, even maxed out on a cloudy day. I can see perfectly fine even in bright sunlight on default brightness with the xpro. I even pulled out the ol’ ball cap to see if that would help, it didn’t.

I’d like to sell the x-pro cause it’s a bit bulkier and for whatever reason now worth about 4x more than a paid for it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I bought X-E2 for same reason, just to goof around with Fuji system. I was really happy with camera as such, but viewfinder was so terribly dim I could not see anything while outside. Strange, as I don't remember having that problem when I used friends X-E2s long-long time ago. Some kind of malfuntion? Don't know really, ended up sending it back because it really was hard to use.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think it depends on the person. I just switch back and fore between XE1 XT1 XE2s without any problem. When I have them side by side, I can see one EVF is noticeable bigger. But when I am out using the camera, I didn't notice the issue.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, starting to look at a move back to Canon from Fuji. The R5 just hits my buttons. The control ring on the RF lenses would let me control aperture on the lens, which I've really grown used to.

But man, that's gonna be a financial hit. Ill do ok on my Fuji lenses, I think, but the XH1 ain't gonna bring much.

What say you, canon RF shooters? How's the system?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think it depends on the person. I just switch back and fore between XE1 XT1 XE2s without any problem. When I have them side by side, I can see one EVF is noticeable bigger. But when I am out using the camera, I didn't notice the issue.

I was doing some research and I think I found the issue. The xpro1 is an outlier in having a remarkably bright evf because it's the last to have an lcd based evf. The xe1 started the trend of using oled which has much better contrast but it naturally dimmer by design. Maybe the technology wasn't as mature in 2012 as it is today and there's some variance between units.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus just announced a 20mm f/1.4 PRO, due to ship next month. in typical Olympus fashion it is a very tiny boi

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

How much of a size and weight difference is there between the X100F and the X100V? Realizing that while I still really like my x-t3 the battery grip and inherently larger lens makes it just bulky enough to not be an impulsive pocket camera, and that I really miss shooting on an X100F. I’m debating either picking up a new V or a lightly used F, but I remember hearing vaguely that the V was noticeably larger and was wondering how true that is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 10, 2021

mes
Apr 28, 2006

From what I remember the shape changed slightly but it’s mostly the same. I think the most notable difference was the squared off top plate. I didn’t find that the weight was that different from the other X100 iterations I’ve owned.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I've owned both and they're pretty much identical. The top plate is the main change. The grip does feel different but not significantly so, if you need an external grip on one you probably will on the other.

camerasize.com posted:

FujiFilm X100F is 1% (1.5 mm) narrower and both of the same height.
FujiFilm X100F is 2% (0.9 mm) thinner than FujiFilm X100V.
FujiFilm X100F [469 g] weights 2% (9 grams) less than FujiFilm X100V [478 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I asked in the gear thread but didn't get an answer so I thought I would ask here.

I have a D750 that has been great, but I've transitioned to live streaming and Youtube videos, and thought a it would be nice to have a high quality stream camera and better video. I haven't listed it or anything by KEH said the body and kit lens would be worth $830
What would you all recommend for a mirrorless in that price range? I am thinking about a sony A7s II and a lens used

I don't know anything about mirrorless cameras. having a viewfinder that I I can see while sitting in front of the camera would be nice. I've had a couple good takes ruined because it turns our half my head was cut off or something

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 14, 2021