Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Hel posted:

11/8 (American) isn't for another month.

Every day is truckfuckler day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

History Comes Inside! posted:

I looked up Ramset hammer on Amazon and got a hell of a related product recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYomZVrzCY

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Saw this in Alaska at an old logging camp/tourist attraction. Those guys were not loving around.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Question for the US friends ITT: How common are fire blankets in household kitchens? What about in workplace kitchens?

I asked a US firefighting forum what fire safety measures they have in their own homes and workplaces and they were mostly like "lol fire blankets? Never see them/who needs em" kind of attitude.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've just got a couple of fire extinguishers, one by both doors into the kitchen

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Real Amethyst posted:

Question for the US friends ITT: How common are fire blankets in household kitchens? What about in workplace kitchens?

I asked a US firefighting forum what fire safety measures they have in their own homes and workplaces and they were mostly like "lol fire blankets? Never see them/who needs em" kind of attitude.

I have never seen a fire blanket in any American home. We had them in chemistry labs in college because they were required.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'd say fire extinguishers are far more common. Probably often the wrong kind, but yeah most people here have never seen a fire blanket.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Why would I want a blanket that starts fires, this is even stranger than y’all using the metric system.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drone show in china went wrong, noone was injured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa92JJ0N1I

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJ6p4JVN4g

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kitfox88 posted:

Why would I want a blanket that starts fires, this is even stranger than y’all using the metric system.

Great prank on unwanted winter guests.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ekuNNN posted:

drone show in china went wrong, noone was injured

Now, *this* is the cyberpunk dystopia I was promised!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Great prank on unwanted winter guests.

They used smallpox for that

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In America, people generally don't want to go to sleep in a fire.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some tesla cultists with great opinions on automotive safety:
https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1444990996627005442

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Azhais posted:

I've just got a couple of fire extinguishers, one by both doors into the kitchen

I've a powder extinguisher in my kitchen and a Co2 in my bedroom.

Deteriorata posted:

I have never seen a fire blanket in any American home. We had them in chemistry labs in college because they were required.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd say fire extinguishers are far more common. Probably often the wrong kind, but yeah most people here have never seen a fire blanket.

Dang thats nuts. Fire blankets are pretty much in every EU kitchen and workplace. Pretty sure they're a requirement.

McGavin posted:

In America, people generally don't want to go to sleep in a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I remember looking up fire blanket pros and cons, other then not having an experiation date and probably being limited to "small" kitchen pot/pan fires, they seem like an okay tool.

main con seems like having to get close to fires, much like using a a lid or some baking soda. So a ton of people's fight flight or freeze response might screw them 2/3 times.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I've never thought about having a fire blanket. I have two small ABC extinguishers in the house - one in the kitchen and one in the hallway near the water heater and the furnace. I also have one in my car.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

PhazonLink posted:

I remember looking up fire blanket pros and cons, other then not having an experiation date and probably being limited to "small" kitchen pot/pan fires, they seem like an okay tool.

main con seems like having to get close to fires, much like using a a lid or some baking soda. So a ton of people's fight flight or freeze response might screw them 2/3 times.

I've seen 2 kitchen pan fires in my life, both back in the 90's. I've known of maybe a dozen more and a couple of them set fire to the whole kitchen.
The ones I seen happen, we had to wet a towel and throw it on the pan to stop the flames licking up the wall onto the fans and ceiling above. gently caress everything about that.
Fire blankets can be used for other things too, trash can and small appliance fires, covering yourself or another person, etc. I guess it was just sort of a culture shock to me to find out how the US doesn't really utilise them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fire blankets are good for places where you might have small fires semi-frequently and don't want to shut the place down to clean up after a fire extinguisher. Industrial/commercial kitchens are a good example. We also have them in our welding shops. Obviously you should also have fire extinguishers because the blankets aren't going to stop everything. But yeah, if there's a regular chance of having no-big-deal small fires, a fire blanket is effective and minimally disruptive.

Maybe they're required in Europe because Europeans set their kitchens on fire regularly, idk.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I guess it was just sort of a culture shock to me to find out how the US doesn't really utilise them.

We also don't have universal/single-payer healthcare or any sort of social safety net for anybody.

I mean, a sizeable portion of our homeless population consists of military service veterans. You'd think for all the hoo-rah about the military we have here that we'd at least get that part right.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd never even heard of fire blankets tbh. Ordered a 4 pack

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, a sizeable portion of our homeless population consists of military service veterans.

Does it though`?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe they're required in Europe because Europeans set their kitchens on fire regularly, idk.
It's not an EU thing, OP is extrapolating wildly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Groda posted:

Does it though`?

1 in 10 homeless people around the country were military vets last time somebody made noise about it at a congressional hearing that I saw.

The latest report about total number of homeless people in the US says that as of December 2020, there are about 690,000 homeless people around the country.

I don't want to do the math on that because I'm trying not to depress myself today.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Some guys playing around with different kinds of fire extinguishers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6fjzhnWpY&t=457s
My takeaway is a fire blanket works about as well as a small fire extinguisher, but you need to get really close and wait much longer than most people would think before you can move it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ekuNNN posted:

some tesla cultists with great opinions on automotive safety:
https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1444990996627005442

*Apu leaping across the counter.*

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's not an EU thing, OP is extrapolating wildly.

It was a presumption I made, purely because I've never been to a rented accommodation, or any form of public building or industrial premises with a kitchen that did not have a fire blanket present. For Ireland I found that it's a requirement for a fire blanket to be provided in all rented accommodation. I found similar recommendations for Netherlands, and Germany.
I'm finding it difficult to find a solid EU standard but I did find CFPA_E guideline No 38:2021 - 7.8 that states

quote:

In case of fireplace, gas appliances or any other open flame device, at least one fire blanket is required. It must fulfill the requirements of standard EN 1869 or national codes. The fire blanket
should be placed in the kitchen, or near the fireplace, according to manufacturer’s manual

Yeah maybe I'm extrapolating but in the past 20 years I've noticed they've become very prevalent.
:shrug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Those are all excellent clarifications and props for actually looking it up. It's just weird to read something like that and have to go 'wait, what, I'm in the EU and I've never seen one in my life!'. Like, even if Belgium for all I know somehow is the lone holdout where people rather die in a fire, idk.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I mean, a sizeable portion of our homeless population consists of military service veterans. You'd think for all the hoo-rah about the military we have here that we'd at least get that part right.

Trump called them all losers, remember? No one supports losers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Those are all excellent clarifications and props for actually looking it up. It's just weird to read something like that and have to go 'wait, what, I'm in the EU and I've never seen one in my life!'. Like, even if Belgium for all I know somehow is the lone holdout where people rather die in a fire, idk.

Something something Belgium is not a real country.

But I also haven't seen them much in eastern or southern Europe, seems more of a western/northern European thing. In Britain I've mainly seen them in student accommodation or short-term rentals.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Private Speech posted:

Something something Belgium is not a real country.

But I also haven't seen them much in eastern or southern Europe, seems more of a western/northern European thing. In Britain I've mainly seen them in student accommodation or short-term rentals.

We've got them in Britain because of chip-pan fires, we like our chips and also pouring cold water on pans full of boiling oil.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I ordered some fire blankets thanks everyone!

I hope they're reliable! Something about those tells me they aren't............... :thunk:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

holtemon posted:

Saw this in Alaska at an old logging camp/tourist attraction. Those guys were not loving around.

Some hockey teammates have something similar. We were cutting down ~24 inch pine. It was controlled by an old tractor.

https://i.imgur.com/DmFirIT.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2VZIqPY.mp4

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I always wondered why the wool blankets we were provided with in the cadets were called fire blankets. I think I still have one kicking around somewhere and it'd be cool if it can double as safety gear.

https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian-correctional-services-fire-blanket/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

PhazonLink posted:

I saw them mentioned in this thread a few times, looked them up, and thought about how likely any fires might start in my kitchen. Then ordered a 4 pack and gave a couple to friends. They're a quick way to put out small fires that haven't grown yet, without requiring the cleanup of a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

Most of the kitchen fire scenarios I could think of involved some kind of attended cooking that either catches fire, or spreads fire to an adjacent area. Like oil in a pot catching fire, oil splashes burning on the stove and igniting items next to the stove. All things that can be dealt with by a fire blanket. Sure it's not going to deal with a pot of hot flaming oil being splashed around the kitchen, but that's what the fire extinguisher or running away is for. I've never had a real kitchen fire, but I do cook with natural gas, and have had some close calls. So for $10, i got something that I can hang on the wall near my stove that would help me put any of those accidental fires quickly and cleanly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vakal posted:

Trump called them all losers, remember? No one supports losers.

The numbers have fluctuated but homeless veterans have been a problem in the US since at least as far back as WWI.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1 in 10 homeless people around the country were military vets last time somebody made noise about it at a congressional hearing that I saw.

And to complete the comparison, around 5% of the population of the USA are veterans. So homelessness is twice as prevalent among veterans as in the general population.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
am i wrong to think this pickup looks hungry for human flesh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIImb78VyKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

MRC48B posted:

sir, that is clearly cloax :goonsay: