Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I love the smell of Sailor inks. They smell like quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sankis posted:

I love the smell of Sailor inks. They smell like quality.

I had a big bottle of sailor black blue and I cannot find it anymore :-(

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Is that the old formulations or the new ones? Its a yaffa brand now as of maybe a year ago, but yaffa made the montverde inks that got all moldy a couple years ago.

wait, monteverde inks get moldy? I'm gonna have to throw out a bottle if that's the case...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sb hermit posted:

wait, monteverde inks get moldy? I'm gonna have to throw out a bottle if that's the case...
Not every one ever. But enough did that you could just send them an email with your receipt and they would send you another one. Thrre were tons of inks "sold" because Goulet was offering them free with lots of different pens that Christmas.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Private reserve definitely had that reputation when I started getting into pens like 10 years ago.

Oh God that was already 10 years ago

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been in the hobby for under two years.

I have over 20 pens, and a lot of them have their own ink :shepspends:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Why is it that my Kaweco Sport writes instantly and happily no matter how long I've neglected it, but my Cultpens mini and my jinhao are so pissy and grumpy and start-stop if I forget about them for even a single day? Ugh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Private reserve definitely had that reputation when I started getting into pens like 10 years ago.

Oh God that was already 10 years ago
Well, its on its third owner since then amd has been reformulated, so that may no longer be an issue.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My experiences so far with ink have been:
Pilot cartridges that came with pens/used with my Petit - perfectly serviceable inks as far as I can tell
Iroshizuku - Quite nice to write with
The Lamy ink in my Safari's cartridge: Loved the shading I got out of it!
Waterman - also works well enough and shades a bit on regular copy paper, does feather a little on especially cheap/lovely copy paper. Using it as my work daily driver because I got a 50ml bottle from a friend who only uses black ink ever, and this is blue.

Still tempted to buy a second Safari so I have my work pen and my home pen, because I like the Safari better than the Metropolitan. Maybe I'll ask for Christmas, make an easy present for me for one of my siblings or parents...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

iospace posted:

I've been in the hobby for under two years.

I have over 20 pens, and a lot of them have their own ink :shepspends:

I'm up to ~265

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

grack posted:

I'm up to ~265

how many of those are deltas :v:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Why is it that my Kaweco Sport writes instantly and happily no matter how long I've neglected it, but my Cultpens mini and my jinhao are so pissy and grumpy and start-stop if I forget about them for even a single day? Ugh.

Quality control makes for a higher price but a better experience. See also: German Perfection. (Very silly example of German Perfection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2kSu6O8cU )

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Only 66!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grack i hope you realize that your delta collecting days are nearly over. you're only allowed 3 more

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sankis posted:

grack i hope you realize that your delta collecting days are nearly over. you're only allowed 3 more

or he's got to get 354 more

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tater_salad posted:

I know which one it'll be.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Or 600

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I prefer not to put any specific number limits on my collecting.

I will continue to collect Deltas until I have all the Deltas. All the Deltas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today in heart attacks:

Dropped my black ice VP... NIB OUT.

It landed sideways and is ok, but holy gently caress that scared me. Left a nice blue ink spot on the floor

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 5, 2021

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
But do you have this pen?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question regarding pigmented ink (particularly carbon black): how easy does it come out of clothes? I've been using Dark Matter at work, but want something a bit more water resistant that's not the bulletproof line.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

iospace posted:

Question regarding pigmented ink (particularly carbon black): how easy does it come out of clothes? I've been using Dark Matter at work, but want something a bit more water resistant that's not the bulletproof line.

It does not come out of clothes, the pigment binds to the cotton, that is a property I use when inking for watercolor.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keetron posted:

It does not come out of clothes, the pigment binds to the cotton, that is a property I use when inking for watercolor.

Dark Matter (which does come out of clothes) it is then! Thanks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I started using a fountain pen as part of encouraging myself to keep a regular journal and have less of my external memory dependent on other people's internet products.

These are my experiences!

Pens:
  • Pilot Metropolitan: It's great. Everybody said it was great and it is. The nib is flexible and fits my left-handed self with no feedback of scratching. The squeeze converter is tiny and weird and I don't trust it; I should get a piston converter.
  • TWSBI ECO: It isn't quite as smooth as the Metropolitan, but I enjoy its aesthetic and the lack of a converter that might fall out or leak.
  • Lamy Safari: This is what I've always used in the past, but the nibs are just not as good as these other pens. They scratch horribly in comparison. Fine, medium, left-handed; each one is worse than the one before. I'm never going back.

Ink:
  • Platinum Carbon Black: It's great. Everybody said it was great, and it is. I never seem to smear it, and it's a lovely black and should be very waterproof.
  • Noodler's Legal Blue: I don't like it. It's a nice bright blue and in theory it dries quickly, but it seems like there's always a top layer that doesn't bond to the paper and is still capable of smearing literally two days later. The underlying letters are probably genuinely bulletproof but the result doesn't look like it is.
  • Levenger Cobalt Blue: I bought this because I loved their catalog as a kid. It's a nice bright blue and it seems to dry quickly.
  • Lamy Blue: Only used this in cartridges but it's a nice blue color and seems to dry into pretty shades, and to do so quickly.

Are there any other pens that have nibs close to the quality of the Metropolitan? That's the thing about it that I really can't get over.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Pilot is top for me for value when it comes to cost:benefit. All their stuff has been great, except their awful converters. Fill a cartridge.

For Legal Blue, try diluting it just a bit with water and see if you get better results with the smearing. Maybe 1:4 parts water:ink.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007
The eco nib is a bit scratchy in my experience too, but the vac 700 nib is my new favourite and from the same company.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Are there any other pens that have nibs close to the quality of the Metropolitan? That's the thing about it that I really can't get over.

Better yet, the Kakuno, 78G and Explorer, among others, use exactly the same nib! If the squeeze converter bugs you, the Kakuno in particular is compatible with the CON-70 converter, which is as good as it gets for Pilot.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

If you're still in the budget exploratory phase of pens consider getting a cheap Chinese pen like a jin hao and a replacement nib from jowo. You also cannot go wrong with any of the big three Japanese fountain pen companies. Sailor and Platinum both make great nibs.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Bezoar posted:

The eco nib is a bit scratchy in my experience too, but the vac 700 nib is my new favourite and from the same company.

I want to second the vac 700, especially in the "iris" color.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the best EDC pen, and why is it the Vac Mini? :v: (ok, give your opinions, but I'll start):

Pros:
-huge ink capacity
-replaceable nib if things go wrong.
-able to seal off the reservoir

Cons: a bit pricy, and you might get want to get the inkwell for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iospace posted:

What's the best EDC pen

100% a cheap biro, not a clicky one.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Got a TWSBI eco as a "thanksgiving present" (??) and I'm enjoying it, it seems like a very wet pen to write with but that may be the ink (Wonderpens Ebony Purple)

Mostly I'm at a loss as to what I'm meant to do with the pen wrench and silicone grease that came with it. The instructions could be clearer. Just.... open 'er up and lube the piston now and then?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

angerbeet posted:

Got a TWSBI eco as a "thanksgiving present" (??) and I'm enjoying it, it seems like a very wet pen to write with but that may be the ink (Wonderpens Ebony Purple)

Mostly I'm at a loss as to what I'm meant to do with the pen wrench and silicone grease that came with it. The instructions could be clearer. Just.... open 'er up and lube the piston now and then?

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/How-to-Disassemble-and-Reassemble-TWSBI-Fountain-Pens/pt/959

It's more for down the line maintenance than anything.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ah, thank you, I suppose I could have looked that up.

Probably won't need it for a while as I don't write that much anymore and tend to swap pens to match my mood or outfit :sparkles:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I think the best part is the TWSBI customer service. I emailed them because I thought the pen had a crack on it but literally 3 minutes after emailing them they responded telling me it was just excess grease (which it was).

I've heard they are excellent about sending out replacement parts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TWSBI punches way above its weight if you ask me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Speaking of TWSBI, word of warning if you have a Draco, don't yank the entire nib housing out of the section. It's not really designed to do that and I had to use a hammer to whack it back in place.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of TWSBI, word of warning if you have a Draco, don't yank the entire nib housing out of the section. It's not really designed to do that and I had to use a hammer to whack it back in place.

Good to know, will leave it where it is. I did pull out the nib and feed of an eco I own to figure out if I could, it went into place just as well and now I know I can put in JoWo nibs if I wanted to.

The Peter Pen arrived recently and it is a Narwhal pen with some nice designed box. It writes way better than expected for a brand I never heard of that supposedly does their own nibs. It's a fine that writes a bit thicker than most other F nibs I own but thinner than most M's so tbh, I am rather pleased with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Headed up to Anderson on Wednesday to only buy paper, maybe test drive some pens and ink.

Watch me come back with a pen and ink anyway.

Clear Eco or 580 with Diamine Red Dragon.