Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hope it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm all here for this dumb social media meltdown. Outside of everyone losing their minds over not being able to post on Facebook, Instagram, and Whatsapp, my next favorite thing is folks on Instagram celebrating their independence from evil corporate social media entities...on Twitter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
WhatsApp being down will no poo poo have an impact over the international shipping industry, poo poo’s pretty much replaced telex at this point.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I would loooooooove to see Zuckerbot's meltdown.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FrozenVent posted:

WhatsApp being down will no poo poo have an impact over the international shipping industry, poo poo’s pretty much replaced telex at this point.

*gnaws on carrot*

Ehh... WhatsApp, dock?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would loooooooove to see Zuckerbot's meltdown.

He can’t connect to his emotion cloud rn.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FrozenVent posted:

He can’t connect to his emotion cloud rn.

That's not good, he'll most likely try to stick his dick in a wallsocket now seeking to restore the emotional connection

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So, I've seen some huge screw ups in my time. I've seen plenty of DNS screw ups in my time. Hell, I've screwed up some important routers (and their BGP config) before.

I have never, ever, just killed the BGP routes to DNS before. I haven't even seen someone screw up that bad, especially on something this large.

Does the employee have a gofundme up yet? They are going to need one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What does that mean, exactly?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You don’t know?

Jfc someone explain it to him.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They've hosed up so badly the internet address book has forgotten who they are, their own systems don't know who they are so they can't get in to fix them.

This includes the physical doors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ok: Someone knocked out their DNS name records (the address book for their IPs associated with their website), as well as wiped out their BGP routes. So, DNS is how you look up who your destination server is like a phone book. BGP helps all the routers in the internet tell all the other routers how to get there, like a map.

So, without any way to lookup that info, and without any way to figure out how to get there, they effectively ceased to exist outside their Datacenter. Right now, its most likely that someone internally at FB accidentally or maliciously deployed network changes that did this. All we know right now for sure is they are down. Hard.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Have they tried turning it off and on again?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

You don’t know?

Jfc someone explain it to him.

I break engines, not internet.

CommieGIR posted:

Ok: Someone knocked out their DNS name records (the address book for their IPs associated with their website), as well as wiped out their BGP routes. So, DNS is how you look up who your destination server is like a phone book. BGP helps all the routers in the internet tell all the other routers how to get there, like a map.

So, without any way to lookup that info, and without any way to figure out how to get there, they effectively ceased to exist outside their Datacenter. Right now, its most likely that someone internally at FB accidentally or maliciously deployed network changes that did this. All we know right now for sure is they are down. Hard.

Thank you.
Also, hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahaha

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

poo poo's probably gonna be fixed before the evening in US TZ, but I can't wait for the anger and tears from Euros since this hit pretty much during prime going-out hours over here.

Nevermind the actual repercussions that matter, tomorrow's social media is gonna be aflame with folks pissed they were "completely unable" to "meet up" in their bar of choice.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/benschwartz_/status/1445097797523427328?s=21

I prefer this explanation.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Imagine if someone gave you the address to a random tacobell in a state over, and you had to get there without asking directions or using any sort of map or navigation aids.

edit: beaten.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I am 100% certain it was an automated deployment, and they had no redundancy to handle if a major network change went bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Imagine you’re at full away one hour notice, and I go and cut the cables to the bridge control and emergency telegraph, and also I reprogrammed the sound powered telephone so the ECR rings the galley and the C/E very rings the smoking room.

Edit: also for some reason the CPP is stuck at 0 but the load is still 80% MCR

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I am 100% certain it was an automated deployment, and they had no redundancy to handle if a major network change went bad.

IAC strikes again?

I know it won't, but could you imagine how much better the world might be if they accidentally broke facebook beyond any repair somehow.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Someone will have a better analogy, but this is how I explain it:

Imagine having to manually dial phone numbers for everything. Make a call? Dial number. Email? Dial number. Security badge? Dial number. Load SA to browse the forums? Dial a number.

The DNS acts like a phone book. It has all the "phone numbers" matched up to terms we actually use. Jim's phone number is next to his name, your email is firstname.lastname@email.com (not an endless string of numbers no one can remember), google.com (not 8.8.8.8 in the address bar).

The "phone book" only works if all the connected stuff knows where to look.

In this case they either lost or partially destroyed the phone book, then burned down the building the phone book lives in, and never told people where it now lives.

Every service that Facebook has, as long as it requires a network of some kind, will not work until they fix this. Someone, altered things no one, EVER, should alter.

Edit: as predicted, beaten

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

and also I reprogrammed the sound powered telephone so the ECR rings the galley and the C/E very rings the smoking room.

Poor analogy, this would enhance capability

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

This one right here bothers me the most, because it implies that their badge scanners rely on external DNS servers and holy poo poo is that a terrible thing to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The problem is too that a large company like FB should have network redundancy and you should only roll large network changes to half the network at a time to ensure High Availability. Whatever happened, they rolled a change that changed everything at once. Not what you should ever do as a best practice.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that this means that Workplace is gone too :kheldragar: :shobon:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Raerlynn posted:

This one right here bothers me the most, because it implies that their badge scanners rely on external DNS servers and holy poo poo is that a terrible thing to do.

I suspect they are internal, it sounds like they somehow nuked portions of the DNS table that include internal servers. You know in your heart of hearts the doors ping off of internal.security.facebook or some poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

I suspect they are internal, it sounds like they somehow nuked portions of the DNS table that include internal servers. You know in your heart of hearts the doors ping off of internal.security.facebook or some poo poo.

And the routes. If it was just the DNS, some portions would still work. Their routes got nuked too.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1445108187355566086

I wonder how many lives are being saved by all this downtime :toot:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Have they tried turning it off and on again?

Literally what they're trying to do but their tests may not match the reality of a black start.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the routes going away is the real nuke. It is not outside the realm of possibility that there will need to be in-person visits to all of FB's data centers to recover their connections with each other (because they can no longer communicate securely with the outside world).

It's not a perfect analogy, but for those of you that read up on "black starting" a power grid during the Texas Freeze, this is equivalent to that, just with servers and routers instead of generators.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
hopefully the phonebook and map are never found and facebook quielty fucks off into the night

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wombot posted:

Yeah the routes going away is the real nuke. It is not outside the realm of possibility that there will need to be in-person visits to all of FB's data centers to recover their connections with each other (because they can no longer communicate securely with the outside world).

It's not a perfect analogy, but for those of you that read up on "black starting" a power grid during the Texas Freeze, this is equivalent to that, just with servers and routers instead of generators.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1445118465258364928

Wellllllllp.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Imagine for a second to get you’re a ferryman living in New Zealand, and that for the sake of argument, you’re best friends with a white shepherd named, uh, Luca.

Imagine one day that you endeavor to play with Luca. “Go get your ball, Luca!” You intone, gazing deep into his wide, open eyes as they beam with excitement.

Luca bounds off to find his ball, but he thinks “Wait- did the Ferryman say the green ball or the red ball? Or was it the blue one?” He eventually decides to bring you a yellow ball.

“No, Luca, go get the other ball! You know which one!” You say.

Luca goes back and studies his ball collection. Maybe the Human wanted green? And so he picks it up and trots back.

“No, Luca- your special ball!”

By now poor Luca is thoroughly confused and starting to get mad. He brings you ball after ball as you chide him to go get THE ball until finally he can’t take it anymore. He throws back his head and angrily barks at the ceiling while aggressively squatting and taking an enraged poo poo on the carpet while you weep and wail in despair.

In this example you are a ferryman living in New Zealand, Luca is the Internet and the ball is Facebook.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Since I'm a regular user of facebook, instagram, and messenger, I have no choice but to assume that it's my curse that has taken it all down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Imagine for a second to get you’re a ferryman living in New Zealand, and that for the sake of argument, you’re best friends with a white shepherd named, uh, Luca.

Imagine one day that you endeavor to play with Luca. “Go get your ball, Luca!” You intone, gazing deep into his wide, open eyes as they beam with excitement.

Luca bounds off to find his ball, but he thinks “Wait- did the Ferryman say the green ball or the red ball? Or was it the blue one?” He eventually decides to bring you a yellow ball.

“No, Luca, go get the other ball! You know which one!” You say.

Luca goes back and studies his ball collection. Maybe the Human wanted green? And so he picks it up and trots back.

“No, Luca- your special ball!”

By now poor Luca is thoroughly confused and starting to get mad. He brings you ball after ball as you chide him to go get THE ball until finally he can’t take it anymore. He throws back his head and angrily barks at the ceiling while aggressively squatting and taking an enraged poo poo on the carpet while you weep and wail in despair.

In this example you are a ferryman living in New Zealand, Luca is the Internet and the ball is Facebook.

I mean this is the best so far, but I am familiar with DNS I'd just never heard of BGP nor why it was such a massive fuckup.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Since I'm a regular user of facebook, instagram, and messenger, I have no choice but to assume that it's my curse that has taken it all down.

Thank you for your service.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Best analogy right here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean this is the best so far, but I am familiar with DNS I'd just never heard of BGP nor why it was such a massive fuckup.

BGP is literally the underlyding highway that the internet rides on. Its the only reason anybody knows the route to get to anything in this hell hole. DNS just gives you the address, BGP is google maps.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

I think that Facebook did this intentionally so they can clean house before the Congressional testimonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

How hard are safety issues or poo poo like customer data gonna be affected by this? Not so much concerned about myself since I've decoupled from Facebook several years ago, but I'm kinda curious if this is gonna give malicious actors a chance to go hog wild.

Still lolling at the situation.

Going to bed now watching Sunshine, looking forward to a million posts on the morrow