Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I would think the weight of a battery would make using a die grinder on small stuff really annoying for longer periods. Do you have a big compressor/is pneumatic an option?

My thinking as well. Yup, whatcha thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Apparently Bosch has two different and incompatible 18v systems. Nice discovery. At least I can return this useless and expensive battery that I bought

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sous Videodrome posted:

Apparently Bosch has two different and incompatible 18v systems. Nice discovery. At least I can return this useless and expensive battery that I bought

Bosch? Overly complicated???

:holymoley:

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Even better: All batteries EXCEPT for the one that I bought are compatible with both lines. The one I bought, the big one, is only compatible with the line of tools that I don't own.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've a question for the thread, and this seemed like the best place to ask it.

My main home office chair had an M5 hex-head screw break inside the socket holding one of the arms on. There's ~2/3 of an inch left in there. I know there are screw extractors, but 1) I'm worried about damaging the threads, and 2) every screw extractor kit I know of seems to imply there needs to be more of the screw left than 2/3", and the broken part of said screw is a little over an inch inside the socket.

I thought about going in there with a drill bit and trying to cut a column just wide enough to get a flat head screwdriver in there, but there's not a lot of room to work with. Does anyone have any tips and tricks?

I should also mention I've got an order for a replacement chair out, so my attempts here are merely to try and salvage this current left-arm-less chair for someone else's use.

Here's a picture of an undamaged screw and the broken one to give an example of what's stuck inside the socket:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 1, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What's always worked best for me is to drill right down the center of the screw with the largest bit I can get in there without hurting anything and then jam the tightest allen wrench I can fit in my drilled hole. For some reason, I really don't know why, this has worked for me like a million times.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think the main issue with a screw extractor bit is that the bits in my experience aren't typically all that long. It looks like you need a bit that's at least 2.5" long just to get from the drill to the broken-off shaft of the bolt, and then you still need some material left to dig into the bolt so you can extract it.

You could maybe glue the extractor bit to a bit of steel rod to get some extra length...if you can weld, that'd be a superior option, because I doubt that glue would handle the torque very well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

What's always worked best for me is to drill right down the center of the screw with the largest bit I can get in there without hurting anything and then jam the tightest allen wrench I can fit in my drilled hole. For some reason, I really don't know why, this has worked for me like a million times.

I'll give this a shot as I unfortunately would have to take it someplace to weld. I'll have to get a punch, though - thankfully the shear line is pretty flat and I already have an extensive set of imperial and metric allen wrenches.

Now I just have to find better screws to replace the stock ones with. And yeah, I'm aware "harder and stronger" can mean "more brittle and prone to breakage" over the long run.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
M12 Die Grinder is amazing.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Habitat Restore haul of the century:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

NomNomNom posted:

Habitat Restore haul of the century:

Okay Big Shot, tell us how cheap so we can all congratulate you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So provided I can get the screw out without damaging it, I'm doing research into augmenting what I'd assume are cut-rate Chinese steel screws with quality ones. I've found a website that'll sell single piece 12.9 Class steel screws for ~$3.50 apiece. Might sound like overkill, but when it comes to not having to worry about something, ~$15 over multiple years doesn't sound like a bad bargain.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Literally A Ghost posted:

Okay Big Shot, tell us how cheap so we can all congratulate you.

Crap, thought I added that. $45 for the chest and $25 for the bandsaw.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So provided I can get the screw out without damaging it, I'm doing research into augmenting what I'd assume are cut-rate Chinese steel screws with quality ones. I've found a website that'll sell single piece 12.9 Class steel screws for ~$3.50 apiece. Might sound like overkill, but when it comes to not having to worry about something, ~$15 over multiple years doesn't sound like a bad bargain.
Go to any hardware store and get screws the proper length and thread. Grade 5 should be sufficient. If you really want to go crazy, get grade 8. They'll probably cost less than 5 bucks to replace all of them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

NomNomNom posted:

Crap, thought I added that. $45 for the chest and $25 for the bandsaw.

I hate you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So much right now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Go to any hardware store and get screws the proper length and thread. Grade 5 should be sufficient. If you really want to go crazy, get grade 8. They'll probably cost less than 5 bucks to replace all of them.

This. The poo poo included with any furniture like that is below-cheese-grade, even the absolute cheapest hardware at the nearest Ace will be stronger.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Cheap old tools always make me smile.

Got these a couple days ago. $75USD total

Craftsman Pro 10in 15A compound miter saw + accessory kit.

Craftsman 8.25in Radial Arm Saw.

And then these are some oddities that I got from family.
First is a band saw built by my Granddads brother, my great uncle. It works. Free

Then Granddads compressor. Has a bit of a leak from one of the fittings I'll have to fix but no big deal. Works fine. Free

And maybe the most interesting thing, Great Granddads (in this case my Dads Dads Dad) table saw. Not planning on using it since I have several others, though it also works. I think the cart is handmade and is pretty cool. I don't think it was even electric to begin with and Grandpa added the electric motor. Good portions of my grandparents and parents houses were built with this. Free

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's the best way to secure a smaller two piece rolling tool chest to the wall to prevent tipping over? If one of my kids got into the garage and pulled it over on them, it'd be very bad news.

e: basically a base cabinet identical to the one nomnomnom posted above with a heavy bench top tool chest stacked on top

to continue the theme of the above post, both tool chests came fully loaded with grandpa's tools, including a drawer of automotive specialty mystery tools

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'd bolt, screw, or rivet an anti tip bracket to it. Maybe someone else knows of a tool chest specific one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti+tip+bracket

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

brugroffil posted:

What's the best way to secure a smaller two piece rolling tool chest to the wall to prevent tipping over? If one of my kids got into the garage and pulled it over on them, it'd be very bad news.

e: basically a base cabinet identical to the one nomnomnom posted above with a heavy bench top tool chest stacked on top

to continue the theme of the above post, both tool chests came fully loaded with grandpa's tools, including a drawer of automotive specialty mystery tools

If you want to move it on occasion, a couple eye bolts in to studs at the right level and a cheap ratchet strap secured around the box right near the top where there are no drawers to obscure/impede the opening of.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Sedgr posted:

Craftsman Pro 10in 15A compound miter saw + accessory kit.

It looks so small and tiny, who knew it's made of compressed neutron star?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It is impressively dense. Lots of cast iron and steel. Whether thats a benefit of older stuff or not is a bit of a debate but it sure feels solid. Not a huge fan of the plastic handle but I may make something different and replace it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I want to cut specific angles in a length of wood, there's really no good way outside of getting a power miter saw, right? Heck, I'm not even really great at doing straight cuts in 2x4s with my circular saw and a speed square.

I'm not ready for the DWS780, or even the DWS779. I know the difference between single-bevel and dual-bevel, and I'm fine with single-bevel. Beyond that I'm not really sure what to look out for or what to avoid. For example, any big advantages or disadvantages to these options? They all look fairly similar to me, 10" single-bevel miter, 15 amp, 5000 RPM.
Metabo HPT® 15-Amp 10" Corded Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Delta ShopMaster® 15-Amp 10" Corded Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw with Laser
RYOBI 10 in. Compound Miter Saw with LED
Comedy Harbor Freight option: CHICAGO ELECTRIC 10 In. Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw

I recognize "Delta" but that brand has been sold so much I have no idea what it's like these days. I've seen good things about Metabo (formerly Hitachi) here, I'm happy with my Ryobi cordless tool so they seem like a safe bet for a basic meter saw. And then comedy Harbor Freight. Anything gonna disintegrate after 1 cut, or accidentally explode and embed saw blade debris in my chest as I use it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

If I want to cut specific angles in a length of wood, there's really no good way outside of getting a power miter saw, right? Heck, I'm not even really great at doing straight cuts in 2x4s with my circular saw and a speed square.

I'm not ready for the DWS780, or even the DWS779. I know the difference between single-bevel and dual-bevel, and I'm fine with single-bevel. Beyond that I'm not really sure what to look out for or what to avoid. For example, any big advantages or disadvantages to these options? They all look fairly similar to me, 10" single-bevel miter, 15 amp, 5000 RPM.
Metabo HPT® 15-Amp 10" Corded Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Delta ShopMaster® 15-Amp 10" Corded Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw with Laser
RYOBI 10 in. Compound Miter Saw with LED
Comedy Harbor Freight option: CHICAGO ELECTRIC 10 In. Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw

I recognize "Delta" but that brand has been sold so much I have no idea what it's like these days. I've seen good things about Metabo (formerly Hitachi) here, I'm happy with my Ryobi cordless tool so they seem like a safe bet for a basic meter saw. And then comedy Harbor Freight. Anything gonna disintegrate after 1 cut, or accidentally explode and embed saw blade debris in my chest as I use it?

I have that metabo (from like 8-10 years ago when they were hitachi) and it's been a warhorse for many many years. It's not the best saw but it cuts wood and does it well.
I don't know about the delta or Ryobi quality
Dont go with the Harborfreight one it's sloppy and poo poo, my FIL tried to build a deck with it and I went home and got my hitachi becuase it was that poorly made.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have the big 12” Delta “slider” (it’s got the arms like a Bosch glide) and god drat if that miter saw doesn’t fuckin rule

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I have a 12" Hitachi Double bevel and the only thing I regret is that it doesn't slide. I don't have a table saw so it's my go-to for projects. It's super useful. I've done decking, built a trellis, framed walls, etc. The most complicated thing I've handled with it was upper trim in a bathroom with an angled roof. Somehow the math on that is very complicated to get right.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Sockser posted:

I have the big 12” Delta “slider” (it’s got the arms like a Bosch glide) and god drat if that miter saw doesn’t fuckin rule

Is this the Cruzer? I've really been wanting to see one in person. Also for it to be in stock somewhere.

My local HD has the Bosch on display and it really is a thing of beauty, but it sure is a big SOB. And pricey!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Y'all got me considering bidding on this clamp auction and I have 0 projects in the near future that require more clamps!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My theory on harbor freight is not to trust anything that rotates or moves at extremely high speeds, needs extremely high pressures, or needs absolute precision ... Or anything your life depends on. The simpler device the better.

Other than that harbor freight is okay for what it is. Great for tool storage and hand tools. Plus those one off things you need for a project and nothing else. I'm fortunate to have a tool library down the street now so hopefully less of that in the future.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rufio posted:

Is this the Cruzer? I've really been wanting to see one in person. Also for it to be in stock somewhere.

My local HD has the Bosch on display and it really is a thing of beauty, but it sure is a big SOB. And pricey!

Yup yup that’s the guy

I wanted to capacity of a slider but without all the loving required space in the back and AFAIK the only saws that don’t do that are Bosch, Delta, and Festool

Paid $500 for the cruzer from menard’s last summer plus an 11% rebate that I never cashed in because it was actually just a menard’s gift card and I don’t live near a menards

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sockser posted:

Yup yup that’s the guy

I wanted to capacity of a slider but without all the loving required space in the back and AFAIK the only saws that don’t do that are Bosch, Delta, and Festool

Paid $500 for the cruzer from menard’s last summer plus an 11% rebate that I never cashed in because it was actually just a menard’s gift card and I don’t live near a menards

Metabo HPT has one now, and Ridgid is selling a rebranded copy of the Delta now.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the Hercules (from harbor freight) 12" slider and its been fine. Goes on sale for $300 regularly. Cut straight out of the box, makes accurate miters. Shadow line feature is nice.

I'd trade it in a heartbeat for one the articulating saws though, it takes a ton of room.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

more falafel please posted:

Metabo HPT has one now, and Ridgid is selling a rebranded copy of the Delta now.

Makita as well for several years, I think only Dewalt and Milwaukee of the big names do not.

The Makita uses a traditional sliding mechanism but with the rods to the front, like the Kapex, which I think longer term may be more accurate than the articulated arm style miters.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 4, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The problem with powered miter saws is that the dust collection is abysmal on all of them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GEMorris posted:

The problem with powered miter saws is that the dust collection is abysmal on all of them.

This is true but it really is the nature of the beast until you start buying cray expensive stuff. Like nearly only stupid people cray expensive.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yet another problem a leaf blower fixes

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

more falafel please posted:

I have the Metabo HPT one, and it's pretty nice. Dust collection isn't terrible, but I'm going to put a secondary fence on it to be safe.

Ridgid is selling a bunch of Delta rebrands now. The 36-725T2 is being sold at HD in fetching orange now. When I saw one in the store I literally went into reverse gear and took a step backwards to make sure it was what I thought I was looking at.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 5, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

My theory on harbor freight is not to trust anything that rotates or moves at extremely high speeds, needs extremely high pressures, or needs absolute precision ... Or anything your life depends on. The simpler device the better.

Other than that harbor freight is okay for what it is. Great for tool storage and hand tools. Plus those one off things you need for a project and nothing else. I'm fortunate to have a tool library down the street now so hopefully less of that in the future.

Not a cheerleader for Harbor o' Fright, but I bought their tile saw for like a quarter of what a name brand saw would run and that sumbitch cuts top of the line. It was in fact, a single project of granite tile for my kitchen and drat well paid for itself. It's precise as hell, runs a 12" diamond blade at extremely high speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Literally A Ghost posted:

This is true but it really is the nature of the beast until you start buying cray expensive stuff. Like nearly only stupid people cray expensive.

The problem is its just a function of the how the tool works, even the Kapex's dust collection isn't fantastic.

Fwiw I use a manual langdon falls miter box for small stuff and an mft-like+tracksaw for big stuff / bevels.