Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLtlMNC2g6Q

SettingSun posted:

The best pirate logs are in Echoes where they describe the pirates being pincered between Dark Samus, Real Samus, and the Ing.
The best parts of Metroid always involve multiple factions and 3-way battles, such as Samus, The X, and Metroids.

Raylax posted:

That's true, but I also like the pirates, or at least the mad experiments they've been working on, to still be a credible threat. I can understand individual pirate soldiers being like "wow we are hosed if Samus gets in here", but if they've spent years developing an ultra phazon-infused omega pirate 3 times samus's size, I want to still feel like that thing's actually a credible threat. Samus is great when she's a badass but she's boring when she's untouchable.
Being untouchable doesn't matter so much since she loses most upgrades between every game, she should be an untouchable weapon of mass destruction (see hyperbeam) when fully powered up at the end of each adventure but it's always temporary.

Plus there's always the rock paper scissors factor where mother brain, for example, was incredibly smart and powerful in controlling an army of space pirates, metroids, and whatever those deadly fruit loops dispensers were, but was vulnerable because she was just a stationary brain in a glass jar. So when she comes back (somehow) in Super, she builds herself a giant roast chicken body for mobility and combat, which is even more powerful than a fully powered up Samus, but is still vulnerable to super metroids and the hyperbeam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianlHb4kmtc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m partial to the pirate log where they tried to recreate morph ball technology and horribly crushed and mangled the test subjects.

Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m partial to the pirate log where they tried to recreate morph ball technology and horribly crushed and mangled the test subjects.

Ah, the Robocop 2 entry

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omega Pirate was a legitimate threat, even on Normal, but did you ever fight it on Hard? It might be the hardest fight in that game. Tough to say if it’s harder than the end boss, it’s been a while since I’ve played it. Space Pirates knew how to make life difficult for Samus but never enough to actually stop her.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yes, the Pirate Logs in the original Prime added a ton of ambience to the game. Not only are you the bogeyman but your actions cause them to get more and more desperate. I love how they acknowledge that you're hacking their systems at will. They did seem pretty confident that the Omega Pirate could stand up to Samus but then again, the Pirates were never the brightest bunch.

And yes, them trying to re-create the Morph Ball was fantastic.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

FooF posted:

Yes, the Pirate Logs in the original Prime added a ton of ambience to the game. Not only are you the bogeyman but your actions cause them to get more and more desperate. I love how they acknowledge that you're hacking their systems at will. They did seem pretty confident that the Omega Pirate could stand up to Samus but then again, the Pirates were never the brightest bunch.

And yes, them trying to re-create the Morph Ball was fantastic.

The best pirate logs were the ones in Prime 2 where they slowly realize that Dark Samus and Samus are different people and fall into despair because "holy poo poo there's TWO hunters"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be truly fair to the pirates in Prime, the Omega Pirate is actually a hard fight nestled at the bottom of a hard zone far away from a save point.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's Steam Next Fest right now, the indie game demo festival, and there are a few metroidvanias among them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoVyzB9RFw

Most do not lean heavily on the Metroid side of things, of course, but Transmute looks like the biggest homage to NES Metroid since Axiom Verge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yRoCzaaUQ

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wow.

So, if you sequence break in the form of getting an item you shouldn't have yet (IE in this case a powerbomb), the game gives you an error message. No fun allowed

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

BabyRyoga posted:

Wow.

So, if you sequence break in the form of getting an item you shouldn't have yet (IE in this case a powerbomb), the game gives you an error message. No fun allowed

I'm no longer surprised when Nintendo slaps your hand away for daring to not play their game The Intended Way

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Wow.

My enthusiasm just plummeted.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm playing all the 2D Metroid games in the mornings this week leading up to Dread if anyone wants some nostalgia. Today is Metroid 2/Samus Returns.

http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BabyRyoga posted:

Wow.

Please say sike

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

Wow.

Source please.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I beat Samus Returns yesterday to prepare for Dread. It's really good, but I didn't like the way it controlled very much. Using the touch screen to switch beam and rocket type was really awkward. I never thought I would be nostalgic for the use of the select button to switch rockets, but here we are. I hope MercurySteam puts those two extra shoulder buttons to good use in Dread.

BabyRyoga posted:

Wow.

:smithfrog:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Roluth posted:

Source please.

Saw it on a stream I was watching briefly. Says something like "An unknown item has been obtained, you cannot use it yet"

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

BabyRyoga posted:

Saw it on a stream I was watching briefly. Says something like "An unknown item has been obtained, you cannot use it yet"

That was in zero mission too, that just means there's a distinction between 'power bomb ammo pack' and 'the power bomb upgrade'

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BabyRyoga posted:

Oh. I got scared for a moment and thought you meant a crash. Yeah that was in Zero Mission. Probably just means you have to get the ability to use those first before you benefit from the tanks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

On the plus side at least Samus still takes it even if she can't use it at the moment.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's much better and not at all how it was described at first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that does not bother me at all. That's how it was done in Zero Mission.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah that does not bother me at all. That's how it was done in Zero Mission.

In Zero Mission, you can grab any Super Missile tank and unlock Supers (the same applies to Missiles and Power Bombs but you'd need serious glitches to reach one other than the intended "first" tanks)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you made that sound much worse than it actually is lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that's literally how it worked in Super Metroid as well i.e. "Unknown Item" if you hadn't upgraded your suit yet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Procrastine posted:

In Zero Mission, you can grab any Super Missile tank and unlock Supers (the same applies to Missiles and Power Bombs but you'd need serious glitches to reach one other than the intended "first" tanks)

Also in Fusion Missiles and Power Bombs were unlocked as abilities before you got tanks for them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Procrastine posted:

I think they meant the three unknown items

Edit: Didn't one of the Dread Reports specifically reassure sequence breaking was in?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Araxxor posted:

Also in Fusion Missiles and Power Bombs were unlocked as abilities before you got tanks for them.

In Fusion I think there's one power bomb tank you can get before getting the ability to use PBs (I think it involved a complicated shinespark chain to destroy an orange X-wall) but it doesn't unlock PBs early, you just get the extra bombs once you unlock PBs "properly"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Edit: Didn't one of the Dread Reports specifically reassure sequence breaking was in?

There's those too but the case mentioned here was specifically "PB expansions don't unlock PBs early in Dread"
I'm sure there's other sequence breaks available in Dread, just not that one specifically

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nintendo's twitter posted about infinite bomb jumping which is like THE sequence breaking tool

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica...ingawful.com%2F

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sequence breaking is cool but also I don't care at all about how much we can or cannot do it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
From https://metroid.nintendo.com/news/metroid-dread-report-vol-4/:

quote:

The Super Metroid game can be said to offer the greatest flexibility for exploration in the series. You can enjoy similar flexibility in the Metroid Dread game, depending on how you take advantage of your abilities. You might be able to find ways to obtain weapons, items, and abilities earlier than the intended timing. We encourage you to try to discover alternate routes of exploration.

Sequence breaking is definitely in, so it's probably a Zero Mission situation, which makes sense given that the planet that Dread takes place on has a significant Chozo presence. Samus is probably going to get a new suit in the late game that can make use of the unknown items.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bleck posted:

Sequence breaking is cool but also I don't care at all about how much we can or cannot do it.

I read it as more a symptom than a problem per se. "There's a right way to do this, and that's how you're going to do it" can be good game design when you want to emphasize a story, but if you want to emphasize exploration it tends to be a frustrating wall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most of the time when a developer keeps you from sequence breaking it's not because they "hate fun", it's because sequence breaking is a pain in the rear end from a design and programming standpoint.
I've seen this idea thrown around a lot with the Prime games, people seemed to think that Retro fixed the speedrun tricks in the rereleases of Prime out of spite for speedrunners, but there are interviews where the developers have said that think the speedruns are really cool. The reality is that most of the glitches and skips that speedrunners use in Prime can very easily leave the player permanently stuck, either by getting themselves into an area they don't have the ability to get out of, or trapping them out of bounds. A new player accidentally stumbling onto a glitch and trapping their game in a broken state would ruin the experience for them, it's simply not something that you knowingly leave in a game.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

that's literally how it worked in Super Metroid as well i.e. "Unknown Item" if you hadn't upgraded your suit yet

What? No. That's not how it worked in Super.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Crossposting from the main Switch thread, if anyone’s still looking for the Special Edition, Amazon UK has restocked their preorder for it.

But if you’re having it shipped to the States because it hasn’t restocked here since June the total with S&H and VAT comes to $135, nearly as much as scalped domestic copies are going for on eBay, but if you don’t wanna encourage scalpers and save $15, it’s an option.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if a game doesn't let me arbitrarily walk out of bounds and softlock my game constantly it's dogshit

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Augus posted:

most of the time when a developer keeps you from sequence breaking it's not because they "hate fun", it's because sequence breaking is a pain in the rear end from a design and programming standpoint.
I've seen this idea thrown around a lot with the Prime games, people seemed to think that Retro fixed the speedrun tricks in the rereleases of Prime out of spite for speedrunners, but there are interviews where the developers have said that think the speedruns are really cool. The reality is that most of the glitches and skips that speedrunners use in Prime can very easily leave the player permanently stuck, either by getting themselves into an area they don't have the ability to get out of, or trapping them out of bounds. A new player accidentally stumbling onto a glitch and trapping their game in a broken state would ruin the experience for them, it's simply not something that you knowingly leave in a game.

I hear you, but preventing Space Jump First in the trilogy version of Prime 1 is a crime

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Zoran posted:

I hear you, but preventing Space Jump First in the trilogy version of Prime 1 is a crime

exactly

they also fixed early plasma beam which is also a crime

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

JordanKai posted:

I beat Samus Returns yesterday to prepare for Dread. It's really good, but I didn't like the way it controlled very much. Using the touch screen to switch beam and rocket type was really awkward. I never thought I would be nostalgic for the use of the select button to switch rockets, but here we are. I hope MercurySteam puts those two extra shoulder buttons to good use in Dread.

:smithfrog:

I played it on stream today and that was annoying because I had to use an emulator to be able to capture it. I'd set up macros if I were going to spend a lot of time on it.

I didn't like the melee, I'm sure it got a lot of flack when it first released. I'm fine with it being in there, but it was necessary to defeat most the enemies and just seemed to break-up the action. If it were just a knock back for defense or like a saving throw I think it'd be fine.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

RodShaft posted:

I played it on stream today and that was annoying because I had to use an emulator to be able to capture it. I'd set up macros if I were going to spend a lot of time on it.

I didn't like the melee, I'm sure it got a lot of flack when it first released. I'm fine with it being in there, but it was necessary to defeat most the enemies and just seemed to break-up the action. If it were just a knock back for defense or like a saving throw I think it'd be fine.

Try using Missiles and Ice Beam more instead of relying on the counter. With the Ice Beam you can also punch frozen enemies like Sub-Zero and shatter them, conserving missiles and not disrupting your momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

bladeworksmaster posted:

Try using Missiles and Ice Beam more instead of relying on the counter. With the Ice Beam you can also punch frozen enemies like Sub-Zero and shatter them, conserving missiles and not disrupting your momentum.

I'm too stingy with Missiles. Any "limited" resource in videogames really. I need to work on that.