Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Endorph posted:

you are 90% of the way to describing symphogear

what is "symphogear" and why isn't this on Toonami right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I. M. Gei posted:

It's an orchestral version of Metal Gear

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Beginning tonight @ 8PM eastern and until the 39th of October, the lowest effort Halloweenis presentation in history: Halloweenis 2021 ~Triple Trouble~

A supersized stream featuring THREE SHOWS: Mayoiga, Kurozuka, and the next step on the road to Despera, the Halloweenis entry for the Yoshitoshi ABe Hour Ft. Chiaki J. Konaka, big sigh, its the inevitable Narutaru stream

may be a couple bonus streams on Saturdays or something too idk, if I feel like it
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ghost hound will just have to wait for another time i guess...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

because toonami panders to the most basic of anime tastes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also i would legitimately never want to hear dub voices for symphogear

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
recording a symphogear fandub right now

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

recording a symphogear fandub right now

i hope you enjoy rewriting over 50 songs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just googling for symphogear lyrics and throwing them all onto google translate

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

homeless snail posted:

just googling for symphogear lyrics and throwing them all onto google translate

It works for opening title songs :shrug:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I. M. Gei posted:

It's one thing to get a dub actor equivalent to the original voice, another entirely to get one who can also sing. Due to how the singing is presented you couldn't just leave it alone either, since the characters are actually singing it themselves in fights.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aurora posted:

i hope you enjoy rewriting over 50 songs

Who said I’m translating them?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Symphogear sounds neat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

symphogear is an idol/magical girl/toku anime that ran for 5 seasons from 2011-2019. the basic premise is that the characters sing while fighting, leading to a lot of interesting visuals, as well as the characters actually emoting while singing - cutting themselves off mid line, etc. it'd be easy to just plop in the mp3 of the song but they have the VAs actually sing in a way that makes sense for the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2D761sPLmg&t=7s this bit is really funny.

its got its ups and downs writing wise but is very sincere, has a good cast, and some really good action. though the animation quality and tone is all over the place in season 1.

it also has strong connections to both wild arms and code lyoko staff-wise which is great.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Who said I’m translating them?

sounds like you're not making a fandub 😔

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Symphogear might be the least dubbable anime ever made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Symphogear might be the least dubbable anime ever made

it or monogatari

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Symphogear will likely never be dubbed for a variety of reasons (most notably due to the fact that the girls fight by singing) but there is an official subbed release of the whole series available if anyone is interested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the crunchy releases do miss subbing some of the songs but i think the english physical releases have all of them subbed, which is good because the lyrics are important characterization

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hype!!!!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i am going to watch symphogear one day

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

you are 90% of the way to describing symphogear

:thejoke:

I was hoping I wouldnt need to make the joke that Symphogear is the only idol, magical girl and mecha show Ive actually watched all the way through. :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Erg posted:

hype!!!!
nothing about this is hype erg.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

why won't they add symphogear to srw? is it because of the poo poo ton of money it'd cost to license the music?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

More like SRW mainline still wants robots for its characters and also if they want magical girls as robots Nanoha is first in line.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they are too small and not as cool as Alberto

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

why won't they add symphogear to srw? is it because of the poo poo ton of money it'd cost to license the music?
its because its not really a mecha show in any real way. it could maybe get into the mobages since those play more fast and loose but even strike witches would fit more than symphogear would. people point to tekkaman, but tekkaman is fully armored, has a mech as a sidekick, and is in a setting where mechs and fighter spaceships do actually exist, and the bulk of the action takes place in space. symphogear is a magical girl show with very occasional sci-fi elements and the girls have random mechanical bits on them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Acerbatus posted:

I drank straight everclear as a teenager once and now any time I have alcohol that's all I can taste,

granted this is like saying you had orange juice as a kid and when you have sunny d that's all you can taste

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like even as a huge fan of both symphogear and srw i dont really want symphogear in srw. like i wouldnt be mad but i dont think itd really fit and itd be a weird stretch.

Space Flower posted:

granted this is like saying you had orange juice as a kid and when you have sunny d that's all you can taste
orange juice and straight everclear are comparable to you?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

nothing about this is hype erg.

I will be adding one ! to the hype!!! meter every day until morale improves

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I mean hype!!!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

please october is already 39 days long this year i can't take that much hype

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

like even as a huge fan of both symphogear and srw i dont really want symphogear in srw. like i wouldnt be mad but i dont think itd really fit and itd be a weird stretch.

orange juice and straight everclear are comparable to you?

i mean, its just alcohol, so it stands to reason you'd taste it in anything alcoholic, its a funny statement to me

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

its because its not really a mecha show in any real way. it could maybe get into the mobages since those play more fast and loose but even strike witches would fit more than symphogear would. people point to tekkaman, but tekkaman is fully armored, has a mech as a sidekick, and is in a setting where mechs and fighter spaceships do actually exist, and the bulk of the action takes place in space. symphogear is a magical girl show with very occasional sci-fi elements and the girls have random mechanical bits on them.

I thought they could breathe in space because of their relics. Is that not the case?

Plus they've done stuff in SRW before like have Master Asia fight on foot, and Votoms itself is tiny compared to a lot of the mecha in the franchise.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 4, 2021

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
anything that was on /m/ should be fair game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

i mean, its just alcohol, so it stands to reason you'd taste it in anything alcoholic, its a funny statement to me
yes but its more like drinking pure orange extract than orange juice

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eating the tube of orange concentrate from the freezer like a giant pushpop

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Don’t put symphogear in srw but do put it in battle moon wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I thought they could breathe in space because of their relics. Is that not the case?

Plus they've done stuff in SRW before like have Master Asia fight on foot.
No, they can. That isn't my problem.

Master Asia is from a show thats primarily about mechs is the thing. Master Asia is a guy in a mecha show who fights mechs on foot. Votoms is tiny, but it's still a mech. Symphogear is a show about girls on foot fighting human-sized aliens and other people on foot, and very occasionally giant monsters as the season ending threats. The issue isn't that its literally impossible to imagine the gears fighting mechs or that theyve never had a character on foot fight the mechs, its that, symphogear is not a mecha show and is barely a sci-fi show. Yamato and Bebop are stretches but they still largely work because they are still sci-fi shows. Symphogear is not especially sci-fi oriented and would not really have any obvious 'connection points' to mecha series. It is a show primarily concerned, in terms of the moving pieces of the plot, with ancient history and conspiracy theories, as well as ancient systems of magic. There's a handful of things it could maybe work with (Demonbane), but even, it's a stretch. And just on an aesthetic level, it doesn't slot in smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

No, they can. That isn't my problem.

Master Asia is from a show thats primarily about mechs is the thing. Master Asia is a guy in a mecha show who fights mechs on foot. Votoms is tiny, but it's still a mech. Symphogear is a show about girls on foot fighting human-sized aliens and other people on foot, and very occasionally giant monsters as the season ending threats. The issue isn't that its literally impossible to imagine the gears fighting mechs or that theyve never had a character on foot fight the mechs, its that, symphogear is not a mecha show and is barely a sci-fi show. Yamato and Bebop are stretches but they still largely work because they are still sci-fi shows. Symphogear is not especially sci-fi oriented and would not really have any obvious 'connection points' to mecha series. It is a show primarily concerned, in terms of the moving pieces of the plot, with ancient history and conspiracy theories, as well as ancient systems of magic. There's a handful of things it could maybe work with (Demonbane), but even, it's a stretch. And just on an aesthetic level, it doesn't slot in smoothly.

well that sucks. can i still put them in my srw fanfic