Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

We Got Us A Bread posted:

As someone who lives in NOLA, the"they are regulated." got me. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sure. Sure they are.

you know....:airquote: regulated:airquote: :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cute, what movie is this from, I Spit on Your Garage?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL, reminds me of the shitbirds that moved next to Paine Field (home of the massive Boeing factory) and constantly complained about the noise - only a few flights/day. When PAE was opened to light commercial traffic, they would file false noise complaints based on the scheduled takeoff/landings page. They were found out because many times a flight would leave early or late or be cancelled and still get the noise complaint.

When you move next to a port, a gun range, an outdoor concert venue, a fairground, etc, quit whining about it. You knew it was there when you moved in.

*Fun fact - larger commercial aircraft can often be much quieter than smaller business jets. Like the difference between a bus and a modified Honda Civic.
In my citylife I've seen this happen multiple times: someone buys a house next to a bar that has operated for decades and they end up getting the bar shut down by endlessly calling the police for how noisy the bar is, how there's bar patrons outside of the bar, how people are parking in the neighborhood to go to the bar, etc etc. You loving bought the house next to an established business! Didn't you do any research?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In my citylife I've seen this happen multiple times: someone buys a house next to a bar that has operated for decades and they end up getting the bar shut down by endlessly calling the police for how noisy the bar is, how there's bar patrons outside of the bar, how people are parking in the neighborhood to go to the bar, etc etc. You loving bought the house next to an established business! Didn't you do any research?

A big part of gentrification is people moving into an area for the 'culture' which they proceed to completely annihilate by doing poo poo like this.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I do my own research.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL, reminds me of the shitbirds that moved next to Paine Field (home of the massive Boeing factory) and constantly complained about the noise - only a few flights/day. When PAE was opened to light commercial traffic, they would file false noise complaints based on the scheduled takeoff/landings page. They were found out because many times a flight would leave early or late or be cancelled and still get the noise complaint.

When you move next to a port, a gun range, an outdoor concert venue, a fairground, etc, quit whining about it. You knew it was there when you moved in.

*Fun fact - larger commercial aircraft can often be much quieter than smaller business jets. Like the difference between a bus and a modified Honda Civic.

I knew some folks out that way, they said that there was some sort of explicit agreement that Paine wouldn't get used for commercial flights, but that got undone... somehow? I don't know a lot more, I don't live up that way but I remember them being salty specifically because this exact place was not supposed to have this.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a scene from one of the Scream wannabe movies that came out around the same time where someone was impaled by a garage door spring. I tried to find it, but couldn't get any hits.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I think it was an X-Files episode
This was driving me nuts but, yeah, it's this. 3X13 "Syzygy".

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Now I'm being driven nuts because I never watched x-files but syzygy is from something I've seen.

Edit: had no idea this was a real word meaning :
noun. : the nearly straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies (such as the sun, moon, and earth during a solar or lunar eclipse) in a gravitational system.
and I saw it in The OA.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 1, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Thank you!

With Eric Foremans sister if I remember correctly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big part of gentrification is people moving into an area for the 'culture' which they proceed to completely annihilate by doing poo poo like this.

Then bitching about how the neighborhood has changed.

See: The entire city of Boston.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Not Really about the Nextdoor site but this is what we've got going on in a small townhouse complex with a member of the board who's super controlling. This is the forwarded email to the management company that I just found out about. I know the board member was a bitch but I didn't think she was fist-shaking 'get off my lawn!' type. lol

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A debate has started raging in my neighborhood about a cat.

It was spotted in the yard of a currently vacant house. Someone posted a picture, asking "WHO'S CAT IS THIS?". People chimed in, with theories ranging from it being a stray cat, to the cat of the people used to own that house, to a neighbor's cat. Sadly, the actual owner (if they exist) was unaware of this post and did not chime in.

The conversation soon turned dark as people began complaining about the number of cats "roaming the neighborhood". When asked for examples of this apparently huge problem, the general response was to mention the originally pictured cat and add something like "plus many more!". Then someone volunteered to capture the cat and asked the original poster where that vacant house was. Someone chimed in, quickly turning the conversation to the condition of the vacant home and how sad it is that "the nice family" that used to live there moved away.

People then asked that poster if that family owned this cat. They responded that they did not. So now, it's been decided that this cat is feral.

Until someone posted a zoomed in photo of the cat where you can clearly see a collar. Sadly, the picture quality is not good enough to enhance and see the name of the cat or an address. Multiple people have volunteered to try and capture this cat, to "spay or neuter it" as needed, and "to get the feral cat problem under control" or to "talk to the owner about letting their animals run wild".

There have been no updates in 3 days so I assume this cat is currently lounging in a sunbeam in its owner's house.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
That’s not “get off my lawn.” “Get off my lawn,” is a grumpy but legitimate sentiment. This is “Get off your lawn,” which is pants on head moronic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

evobatman posted:

Thank you!

Eric Foreman's sister? Try Ryan Reynolds!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
This isn't from the digital age but it is about a crazy neighbor. When my parents got to retirement age they bought 40 acres of forest property in northern Idaho. We'd go up for vacations the first few years and work on the old cabin, clear the overgrown forest for a couple of weeks, etc.

There were two neighbor families that had lived there for decades. One was a super nice Mormon family with mom and about 6 kids. She worked, some of the older kids worked, some of the youngest were still in school; dad had passed away. They had easement, meaning access to their property by virtue of their property title across the other neighbors land. Easement is a serious legal issue, you cannot gently caress with it and not get sued or go to jail. You can literally work on the road that goes across another person's property to improve it; adding gravel, grading it, cutting back tree branches. Anything that improves the road/easement is totally your right. You absolutely cannot though, degrade an easement, making it worse than it was.

The other neighbor was an absolute hillbilly/redneck/survivalist/militiaman. This guy probably weighed in at 300 lbs, and just try to picture this next part. He would wear a muumuu, a big flowery dress, leather cowboy boots, a pistol on a holster around his waist, and a baseball cap, and drive around the hill on his 4-wheeler. I poo poo you not. The first time he came by to introduce himself I had to put my hand over mouth to hide my smirking, and then excused myself so I could go laugh elsewhere. I know I should not judge and all that, but it was the silliest and most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen.

He was a total rear end in a top hat though. He talked about his militia group, how they "defended" Idaho from bad people (anyone that wasn't white). I think it was the Charles Manson cult that abducted Sharon Tate and at some point they had publicly stated they were going to move the clan to north Idaho. This hillbilly loved to talk about the glory days that if "if they ever came up here, we were going to just blow them away". I got to hear that story more than once. This from a 300 lb. dude in a dress with a pistol strapped to his hip. "Okay, thanks for stopping by!"

One day the hillbilly decides to close off the easement the Mormon family has across his property; which they had for 40+ years. He uses a bulldozer to build a dirt berm about 4' high and 10' wide across the road to their house. There is no way to get around it in a vehicle and that road is literally their only access point to their home and property. Like, they can't go to work and school or get to town. God forbid there is a forest fire or they need an ambulance.

Mormon mom doesn't know what to do; calls our family in a panic. Hillbilly had told her that she had to use her other easement, across my parent's property. And that easement was true and legal and in the property titles. The only problem there (and we would not have minded at all if they used it) was that it was a 60 year old logging road that had not been maintained. It was about 1200' long and overgrown with trees 3" - 6" in diameter. Hundreds of trees. To cut and clear it would take several weeks, logging trucks, stumping it out, grading it, etc. A couple weeks at best. Thousands of dollars in work. And in the meantime this family is trapped in their home. We're telling them to walk down to our place and we'll give them rides into town, but we are only there for another week.

My father stepped up. Honestly this was one of the coolest things I ever saw him do. He went to the county courthouse, got copies of the title that spelled out the easement rights specifically. He then went to the police station and filed a report on behalf of the family. The cops could not believe it and sent 2 cars and four officers to the hillbillies place immediately. They were told he carried and they were taking it seriously.

He is told that he has 1 hour to remove the berm while they wait, or he is arrested. Or, the county will emergency pay a contractor to remove it at about $500 an hour and he will be billed for it; and he still has to go to court. That rear end in a top hat jumped in his bulldozer so fast and got to work and moved it out.

My parents sold their property and bought some other acreage not too far away. Just to get away from that rear end in a top hat. Who needs that? Mormon family actually started logging the old road, firewood and stumping it out, but that probably took a couple of years. They knew they could always ask us for assistance, but we were essentially out of there.

Seriously, an angry 300 lb hillbilly in a dress with a pistol, cowboy boots, grey beard, and a baseball cap. One of the most esoteric, "Am I really seeing what I am seeing?" times of my life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Idaho was a mistake that should be divided among the neighboring states.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

Thank you!

Yeah she kills Ryan Reynolds :haw:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

That fat guy was definitely a nazi. If someone from northern Idaho tells you they are a militiaman they are a nazi.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got another letter in the mail today encouraging me to join Nextdoor. I actually did after the last one, and A. my neighborhood is boring and B. having to have my street listed on my profile feels like too much of a privacy violation for me. I live on this tiny weird little street and it feels way too specific. And I signed up using a handle which would probably get me booted anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL Nextdoor got a shoutout on the latest episode of What We Do In The Shadows.

Colin Robinson says, "'I made a posting on the website Nextdoor asking if anyone saw anything suspicious but it just turned into an orgy of racism."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Regrettable posted:

That fat guy was definitely a nazi. If someone from northern Idaho tells you they are a militiaman they are a nazi.

I think the OP said they were an offshoot of the Manson Family. Which, I mean Chuck Manson died in prison with a swastika on his dumb head blabbering about race wars so IDaho :shrug:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL Nextdoor got a shoutout on the latest episode of What We Do In The Shadows.

Colin Robinson says, "'I made a posting on the website Nextdoor asking if anyone saw anything suspicious but it just turned into an orgy of racism."

He would get a good feed off that.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think the OP said they were an offshoot of the Manson Family. Which, I mean Chuck Manson died in prison with a swastika on his dumb head blabbering about race wars so IDaho :shrug:

No no, his militia group was violently opposed to the Manson Family. They did not want those lunatics moving into their county. Which is actually hilarious in that you have one group of lunatics threatening to be violent towards another group of lunatics.

And yes, he was most definitely a closeted Nazi. I got to see the swastika tattoo on his upper arm when his dress was blowing in the wind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

this is not a reply to anything

fweeeeeeee white nail artists please eeeeeeeeeeet

"tactical walk" i.e., brandishing my gun at children with eggs to keep my wife safe

look out for this guy

I can't imagine why construction work would happen outside work hours

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just fire up the drat BBQ anyway, you wuss.

Who leaves their brush inside the grill to begin with?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Solkanar512 posted:

Just fire up the drat BBQ anyway, you wuss.

Who leaves their brush inside the grill to begin with?

People who don't want their brush to get wet

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Idiots do.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got another letter in the mail today encouraging me to join Nextdoor. I actually did after the last one, and A. my neighborhood is boring and B. having to have my street listed on my profile feels like too much of a privacy violation for me. I live on this tiny weird little street and it feels way too specific. And I signed up using a handle which would probably get me booted anyway.

pussyfarter69?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's not like they check your friggin' mail, use a pseudonym

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Based on the name, I have to assume this is just someone loving around but lol

- dogs

Dislikes:
- MONKFISH

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's not like they check your friggin' mail, use a pseudonym

No one ever checks. I’ve lived most my life under the alias “Hugh Dongus”

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Flowers for QAnon posted:

No one ever checks. I’ve lived most my life under the alias “Hugh Dongus”

Did you ever get spam mail titled to a Mr Dongus?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

therobit posted:

Probably not worth it due to the amount you'd have to pay the neighboring states

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

therobit posted:

as a montana resident, let me me be the first to decline. eastern washington can have our bit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Give it to canada. it's your problem now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Give it to canada. it's your problem now.

So even more southern Alberta? I mean they probably would get along.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just saw a report of a drone flying around and staring in people's windows.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

did you watch them type it?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pennywise the Frown posted:

show it your butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Egg guy’s house definitely got egged for a reason.