Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Or to distract from the Pandora Papers

Or to distract from the FB whistleblower

There's conspiracy theories for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

This one right here bothers me the most, because it implies that their badge scanners rely on external DNS servers and holy poo poo is that a terrible thing to do.

I have some bad news for you about the majority of "secure" building infrastructure like this.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I liked this one

Zlodo posted:

literally "locked the keys inside the car" but an entire fortune 500 corporation lmao

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How hard are safety issues or poo poo like customer data gonna be affected by this? Not so much concerned about myself since I've decoupled from Facebook several years ago, but I'm kinda curious if this is gonna give malicious actors a chance to go hog wild.

Still lolling at the situation.

Going to bed now watching Sunshine, looking forward to a million posts on the morrow

Unlikely, since no one can access the data at the moment. No DNS, and more importantly no bgp routing means no one can reach the data centers.

You remember that clip of Bugs Bunny sawing Florida off to go sink in the Caribbean? It's like that - every path to Facebook's data centers is dead. The data center is a literal digital island unto itself

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Raerlynn posted:

Unlikely, since no one can access the data at the moment. No DNS, and more importantly no bgp routing means no one can reach the data centers.

You remember that clip of Bugs Bunny sawing Florida off to go sink in the Caribbean? It's like that - every path to Facebook's data centers is dead. The data center is a literal digital island unto itself

:blessed:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Zuckerberg is shredding the hard drives after Epik Fail.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't put to words how much I hope Facebook dies for good

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat if only they had doors with handles that are opened by keys

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

drat if only they had doors with handles that are opened by keys
I think about this every time I see a tesla with their moronic pop-up handles. . .

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Is this affecting nest or whatever security camera company facebook owns?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol I'm guessing oculus owners can't even use their expensive hardware

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Lol I'm guessing oculus owners can't even use their expensive hardware

https://twitter.com/GavinDYoung/status/1445077064126799879

Non-shitpost:
Cloudflare have a good writeup of the current state of affairs of Facebook and why withdrawing the BGP routes was not a great thing to do: https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

Edit: It's ba-aaaack.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 4, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1445142563934048264

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

Is this affecting nest or whatever security camera company facebook owns?

Google owns Nest.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The government would 100% bail out Facebook somehow if it came down to it. It’s too useful a tool to monitor people.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I googled BGP to see what it stood for and instantly made myself mad because I read it as Border Gateway Patrol the first time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

drat, I was hoping it was gone for good

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How hard are safety issues or poo poo like customer data gonna be affected by this? Not so much concerned about myself since I've decoupled from Facebook several years ago, but I'm kinda curious if this is gonna give malicious actors a chance to go hog wild.

Still lolling at the situation.

Going to bed now watching Sunshine, looking forward to a million posts on the morrow

Personal information on 1.5 billion Facebook users allegedly went up for sale on a hacker forum within the last 24 hours. No evidence so far of it being related to the outage, but regardless it would make any worry of data leakage from the outage kind of moot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well, it was funny while it lasted

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slashrat posted:

Personal information on 1.5 billion Facebook users allegedly went up for sale on a hacker forum within the last 24 hours. No evidence so far of it being related to the outage, but regardless it would make any worry of data leakage from the outage kind of moot.

Nah, its basically confirmed at this point it was an internal issue, someone's trying to make some money by grifting on the outage.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

won't somebody think of the meemaws and how they will have to go get their hate filled conspiracies the old fashioned way now? :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Shame it didn't stay dead for longer.

I can only imagine the reaction of the :tinfoil: crowd.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
According to some folks on the NANOG (North American Network Operators Group) mailing list, they were attempting to remove the config for their BGP peering sessions with the NL-ix internet exchange in the Netherlands, and accidentally removed their peering config for *everyone*.

Oops.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Healthy young Network Engineer goes to work, gets new config and pushes changes - OUTAGE. Many such cases!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kazinsal posted:

According to some folks on the NANOG (North American Network Operators Group) mailing list, they were attempting to remove the config for their BGP peering sessions with the NL-ix internet exchange in the Netherlands, and accidentally removed their peering config for *everyone*.

Oops.

I laughed so hard when I read that.

Can you imagine breaking open that DR plan? I bet half the info they had was outdated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

I laughed so hard when I read that.

Can you imagine breaking open that DR plan? I bet half the info they had was outdated.

I mean most router changes like that or BGP deletes are "Well, hope this works well" because its gonna suck otherwise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was about to say that this would be the perfect time for Russian hackers to attack Facebook, but why would they do that given its value to them? They're probably the first people Zuck backchanneled to fix the problems.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Healthy young Network Engineer goes to work, gets new config and pushes changes - OUTAGE. Many such cases!

:lmao::wow::lmao:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ah crap, looks like Facebook is slowly coming back online. What a wonderful few hours that was.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The personal information breach settlement is going to pay out in facebook libra/diem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/sweis/status/1445164016184090628?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This dude is a NYT tech reporter so lol

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1445185560214048770

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Props to FB - physical security is pretty good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TCD posted:

Props to FB - physical security is pretty good.

Most cages have decent locks on them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

Most cages have decent locks on them

"I'm the LockPickingLawyer and today..."

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Facebook chasing them dollars.

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1445094696028618754?s=20

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I'm the LockPickingLawyer and today..."

*3.8 seconds later* "Now I have enough of Facebook's data to have myself legally declared Mark Zuckerberg."

Shame their office life support system wasn't reliant on the servers being up. :(

Also:
https://twitter.com/deviantollam/status/1445200460617445376

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Boooooooo :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saws and grinders are cool, but if you’re going to make up a rumor, say it was a cutting torch. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I heard that when they cut their way inside, there was some sort of standoff against a suicide bomber and terrorists armed with a crew served weapon. They were apparently fanatical about AI.