Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The war was also costing them money. And leaving them open to the other four families. Considering Phil hosed off, and the decapitation strategy totally failed, but guess choice was to gently caress over Phil and make money or be broke, running the family himself without the benefits, and maybe get himself or his crew killed by some NJ punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That's how all Italians are

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Flesnolk posted:

That's how all Italians are

Oh!

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

What did do? He seems nice enough.

Some of the people involved in the Sopranos are just jerks. Playing Chris and doing his podcast went to his head.

He didn't want to come to the Sopranos convention(which is fine, a lot of people didn't come) but his reasoning was that if he doesn't have control over the project, he doesn't want to be involved.

Lol Dominic Chianese is literally 90 and showed up.

Apparently a lot of people on the show do not like each other and have some pretty petty grievances.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gannascoli and Brancato are the two I know if that were specifically not invited to the con.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vito is a scumbag who pretended he was real good friends with James Gandolfini after he died.

Matt was there. Why wasn't he invited? They had a big thing for him there about the Bronx Tale. He took a photo with Taral Hicks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaius Marius posted:

The war was also costing them money.

This was the biggest thing. All Butchie's talk about being a real man and how being a tough guy was so important etc all fell by the wayside when suddenly he's one of the two top guys left holding the bag while Phil is in hiding (and being belligerent or dismissive of Butchie when he DOES talk to him), the easy win they expected hasn't come, they know Tony is still out there and now they have no idea where, and their entire "army" aren't able to make money because they can't do their collections, have to watch their backs etc. Suddenly the war isn't fun or exciting or an opportunity, it's a giant liability and all anybody is concerned about is going back to the much easier (if still stressful) life of exploiting vulnerable people, and getting rid of Phil is the easiest way to do that.

The Mob are parasites whose only interest is in making the most money for the least effort possible, all the romantic bullshit (like Meadow's horrific justifications to Finn) about being soldiers and swearing oaths and having honor is set-dressing for the most important thing, money. Tony revealed this himself when he got all haughty with Melfi about his ancestors not wanting to be exploited by robber barons... then admitting,"And maybe we wanted a taste!" The problem they had with being exploited wasn't that they were being exploited, it's that THEY weren't the ones doing the exploiting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Vito is a scumbag who pretended he was real good friends with James Gandolfini after he died.

Matt was there. Why wasn't he invited? They had a big thing for him there about the Bronx Tale. He took a photo with Taral Hicks.

Are you talking about the 2019 con? Brancato was not there. He did four years in prison for robbery during which his friend killed a cop, that’s why they didn’t invite him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What does having creative control of a convention even entail? Deciding which version of the theme song plays before a QA panel?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I finally watched it and I’m sorry but I’m pretty sure I hated it. It seems like something that would have been made after Chase died but nope.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I felt pretty meh, definitely should have been a 4 or 6 episode miniseries as nothing really got the time it deserved. Basically feel as you've all said on the last few pages.

I guess Chase just didn't have the makings of a septuagenarian filmmaker

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Chase is too old to still make good things

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like I’m actually pissed off.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are you talking about the 2019 con? Brancato was not there. He did four years in prison for robbery during which his friend killed a cop, that’s why they didn’t invite him.

I’m talking about the con that was this year that I saw him at

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, I went in 2019

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

banned from Starbucks posted:

What does having creative control of a convention even entail? Deciding which version of the theme song plays before a QA panel?

A ton, apparently. The people who ran the Con had a lot of petty things to worry about they didn't think they would.

Okay, I went in 2019

I don't know what they did in 2019 vs 2021 but this year seemed kinda messy. It was a lot of fun but things were messed up a little(At the mob movie award dinner, they skipped over the main entree) and we were in a room full of Big Boys wondering where the god drat chicken parm was at!!!

Oh and a lot of people who were supposed to be there(Drea da Mateo, Vincent Pastore) left us high and dry.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Peter Daou Zen posted:

He's allegedly infamous for posing for photographs only to ask for money afterwards.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Imperioli being an extremely arrogant jerk kinda soured me on hearing his voice.

From what I could gather from the podcast the guy's all about acting and nothing else.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 5, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe I missed it, but I cannot believe nobody mentioned the theme song swelling as Tony looks at the coffin and then he pinky swears Dickie's ghost while Christopher recites a line from the show and what the gently caress am I actually watching anymore?

EDIT: It's also strange that it was written by Chase and directed by Taylor because almost immediately there are three things that are pretty noticeable and different from the show. There's a narration, there's a score, and it's filmed much more cinematically.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 5, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Maybe I missed it, but I cannot believe nobody mentioned the theme song swelling as Tony looks at the coffin and then he pinky swears Dickie's ghost while Christopher recites a line from the show and what the gently caress am I actually watching anymore?

I absolutely hated that part, it felt so out of place.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vichan posted:

I absolutely hated that part, it felt so out of place.

This is a thread where we all complained about that one scene transition from "Cold Cuts" and then the movie hits us with that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jerusalem posted:

This was the biggest thing. All Butchie's talk about being a real man and how being a tough guy was so important etc all fell by the wayside when suddenly he's one of the two top guys left holding the bag while Phil is in hiding (and being belligerent or dismissive of Butchie when he DOES talk to him), the easy win they expected hasn't come, they know Tony is still out there and now they have no idea where, and their entire "army" aren't able to make money because they can't do their collections, have to watch their backs etc. Suddenly the war isn't fun or exciting or an opportunity, it's a giant liability and all anybody is concerned about is going back to the much easier (if still stressful) life of exploiting vulnerable people, and getting rid of Phil is the easiest way to do that.

The Mob are parasites whose only interest is in making the most money for the least effort possible, all the romantic bullshit (like Meadow's horrific justifications to Finn) about being soldiers and swearing oaths and having honor is set-dressing for the most important thing, money. Tony revealed this himself when he got all haughty with Melfi about his ancestors not wanting to be exploited by robber barons... then admitting,"And maybe we wanted a taste!" The problem they had with being exploited wasn't that they were being exploited, it's that THEY weren't the ones doing the exploiting.

Another thing to remember about Butchie is in that phone conversation with Phil where they're on Mulberry St and Phil is out on Long Island hiding away is Phil made a pretty obvious veiled threat that he's unhappy with Butchie's handling of everything and that "when this is over we are gonna have some words". Butchie is acting out of self preservation by brokering a peace deal with Tony at that point. "This poo poo's gone too far" or something like that is code for "Phil is gonna kill me or make my life a living hell and I don't want that".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Oh and a lot of people who were supposed to be there(Drea da Mateo, Vincent Pastore) left us high and dry.

Could that have not been something related to not wanting to catch COVID?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People get irrationally angry at those cons. At the 2019 one there were people were yelling and claiming false advertising because Tony Sirico only showed up for a few hours due to being in poor health and Drea de Matteo only showed up on Sunday due to a death in her family.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

Could that have not been something related to not wanting to catch COVID?

While that maybe a Plausible Excuse, it's not why they backed out at the last second. If they were afraid of COVID they would have never agreed to come in the first place.

People get irrationally angry at those cons. At the 2019 one there were people were yelling and claiming false advertising because Tony Sirico only showed up for a few hours due to being in poor health and Drea de Matteo only showed up on Sunday due to a death in her family.

She had something come up with her daughter so she bailed on this one. Tony Sirico...Man I don't blame him for not wanting to be there, people wouldn't leave him alone at all.

The line for Dr. Melfi was 2 hours long at one point, so I can imagine how Paulie Walnuts would feel in Atlantic City.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't say I blame any of the cast for not wanting to spend a weekend with Sopranos fans.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Man, says a lot about the quality of the film that within a couple days of its release we're back to talking about the show and fuckin' conventions again

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mike N Eich posted:

Man, says a lot about the quality of the film that within a couple days of its release we're back to talking about the show and fuckin' conventions again

True. The reviews and feedback I've been getting have drained me of any excitement I had about seeing it and I still haven't checked it out. I doubt I will honestly.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

True. The reviews and feedback I've been getting have drained me of any excitement I had about seeing it and I still haven't checked it out. I doubt I will honestly.

You should still watch it. I mean then you can join the rest of us on slagging on it!

It’s not garbage fire bad, it’s just , mediocre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ohhhh! ”I’m Sicilian!”

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joey Diaz was a treat . He really does look like Big Pussy too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It’s still a good movie, watch it and make ur own mind up

It still confuses the poo poo out of me when I see people say it’s not funny. I’ve seen it from so many sources and it’s like, what loving movie were you watching? I was cackling throughout and I certainly wasn’t the only one in my screening

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like most of the humor was winking references to the show. It reminded me of the humor in Wedding Singer, like when Sandler tells his girlfriend to take off his Van Halen shirt before she jinxes the band and they break up.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was funny but also groan inducing.

Silvio ….

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I loving hated the Silvio impression and it wasn’t made any better by being the last person Dickie talks to in an extended conversation towards the end. Nivola is trying his hardest but he’s acting opposite a loving cartoon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I loving hated the Silvio impression and it wasn’t made any better by being the last person Dickie talks to in an extended conversation towards the end. Nivola is trying his hardest but he’s acting opposite a loving cartoon.

Yeah it was terrible.

I mean, Sil is a very broad character, but that just means you have to either pull back or nail it exactly. You can't put more mustard on it like the new guy does.

I started listening to Pod Yourself a Gun, and Alan Sepinwall in the first episode talks about how you always hear that Van Zandt was up for the role of Tony, but when they were considering him, the show was going to be an outright comedy.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Proval was gonna be Tony. God, what a disaster averted…

And in regards to Silvio chat
I don’t know how he could have portrayed young Silvio properly anyways?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Proval was gonna be Tony. God, what a disaster averted…

Van Zandt as well

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-sopranos-almost-cast-steve-van-zandt-tony-soprano-1234847185/

Would have been a very different show with Proval as well

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The writing was terribly sloppy and the references were ham-fisted and entirely unnatural, man.

The scene that just kept digging its heels in was when
1. Baby Christopher cries near Tony.
Good, subtle, kind of a funny call-back/forward.
2. The mother states that Christopher is always crying around Tony
Okay, a little on the nose but said in passing.
3. Tony complains that Christopher is always crying around him.
Surely, THIS hammers it in, right? And then, of course:
4. An old lady decides to take the time to offer her belief that they say babies might know something... something from the other side...

Just... unbelievably ham-fisted stuff.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s still a good movie, watch it and make ur own mind up

It still confuses the poo poo out of me when I see people say it’s not funny. I’ve seen it from so many sources and it’s like, what loving movie were you watching? I was cackling throughout and I certainly wasn’t the only one in my screening

I feel like I must be broken somehow or seeing some alternate version of the show because I didn't find it or MSON funny at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I understand just relaxing and enjoying things, especially more sopranos after so long, but yeah it was so badly made in so many ways. I think the comparison to solo a star wars story is a good one except in most ways except lighting that movie is actually better than MSON