Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Automatic Slim posted:

That's right.

The sweat, oil, and grime should be the only instruments finish.

So in other words this stratocaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so whats the deal with finn mckenty or whatever. he seems very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff but also seems like he's way way way too into the business side of stuff. On its own that wouldn't be bad but like not trying to be a huge communist here or anything, but he seems like a total capitalist shill

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

muike posted:

so whats the deal with finn mckenty or whatever. he seems very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff but also seems like he's way way way too into the business side of stuff. On its own that wouldn't be bad but like not trying to be a huge communist here or anything, but he seems like a total capitalist shill

He's literally an MBA that owns a couple Cro Mags 7".

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

muike posted:

Finn is a big ol business nerd who also is super into music. He's the operations manager for URM and Riffhard, so he basically runs a couple very large successful E-businesses, not counting his own super successful youtube page. Finn rules, actually. He's a great dude.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A listener/viewer can't look at an instrument's dings and scratches and know the specific story behind them, they can only see the dings. A beaten up guitar does make a statement that a shiny new guitar does not, but a guitar that's been accidentally beaten up doesn't make a different statement than a guitar that's been beaten up on purpose, so long as the one beaten up on purpose manages to look authentically beaten up.

If a relic job is done well enough that you can't tell the difference, then statement / aesthetic is the same, so it doesn't matter.

In other words, good relic jobs are cool. Bad, obviously fake relic jobs are not cool.

thread content:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 5, 2021

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
1990s "Squier Series" Made in Mexico Strat neck is up for auction on Goodwill's auction site. Over $80, which is not that stupid because they are really nice necks.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/131049759

Oh, no, not this one, not anymore

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

He used to write for the SA front page as Sgt D

He's a punk dude who worked in graphic design and stuff (like he was on the team that made the ABTASTIC banners in the stores for Abercrombie and Fitch) while blogging/running zines/etc for fun and then hit success on youtube. So he's been a punk dude that also knows how to suck it up and be successful in a business sense.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no poo poo? well good for him then

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pretty much.

Tommy Petty and Mike Campbell never cleaned their guitars especially their first Fenders. If a tech tried to clean them they would be fired.

A friend of mine was friendly with Freddie King and hung out with him when he was touring with Clapton. "Blackie" was sitting in the corner of the dressing room, Clapton was nowhere to be found and the roadies were pretty lax so picked up Clapton's guitar and started noodling. It was pretty gross. Never cleaned and only changed strings when they broke.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The cigarette burn on the top part of a Fender headstock where the strings come over the nut is a fun piece of damage that feels like it'll come happen 'honestly' given that there is a lot less smoking in general.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I recently went looking for some stupid poo poo on craigslist, which used to be the top of the heap for dumb and crazy, but now it's mostly...reasonable stuff? sure, there's some ten-dollar guitars in there and guys who've partsed out their half-intact drum kits and poo poo like that like normal, but very little of the actual stupid poo poo

hopefully, that's just luck and not a larger sea change

but in the meantime, be sure to call his cell phone

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 5, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Wow, pretty good bargain for a vintage pedal.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Is this... is this just an autoharp missing the "keys"? because lmao if so. I should have totally bought my neighbor's autoharp when she sold hers in a garage sale like a decade ago but alas.

edit: I was inspired to go through my local craigslist. Most of it is normal rear end gear/equipment/instruments etc. The most amusing poo poo I could find was this:

Which somebody else has to have done before. And there's this too:

:geno:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 6, 2021

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Why is that autoharp missing the chord bars. $1100 would buy a fairly decent factory one that's been improved by a good luthier. It's not even going to sound good, strumming an autoharp with all strings open is not a pleasant sound.
It doesn't have any markings for the strings so it doesn't seem to be a chord zither missing the chords.
It looks almost like it's trying to be a monochord or go after people wanting a monochord but deciding one is too big.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

evilcat posted:

Why is that autoharp missing the chord bars. $1100 would buy a fairly decent factory one that's been improved by a good luthier. It's not even going to sound good, strumming an autoharp with all strings open is not a pleasant sound.
It doesn't have any markings for the strings so it doesn't seem to be a chord zither missing the chords.
It looks almost like it's trying to be a monochord or go after people wanting a monochord but deciding one is too big.

It's not an Autoharp it's an ANGELharp duhhhh

(these are piece of poo poo alibaba specials that grifters put angel decals on and sell to wackadoo new agers to use for sound therapy)

https://therapyharps.com/

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__3nhreucw

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

suburban mom spending $1100 for one of those packages then trying to keep it in tune

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MattO posted:

suburban mom spending $1100 for one of those packages then trying to keep it in tune

"NOooo you don't understand is has to be A=432 or else the Nazi-designed sound waves will hurt me!"

I'm looking for a special 432 hardware tuner for $500 and haven't found it yet, I'm surprised.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

be the change

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

stillvisions posted:

"NOooo you don't understand is has to be A=432 or else the Nazi-designed sound waves will hurt me!"

I'm looking for a special 432 hardware tuner for $500 and haven't found it yet, I'm surprised.

it's basic cult mechanics: only the guru can do the tuning, if the guru gives away that electronic tuners exist and are cheaper than a nice meal out, then the guru loses power over the mark

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Can I assume there's been a lot of overdubbing/reverb in that infomercial?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I honestly don't know if this fits the thread, but I enjoy a good pun, so now you have to look at it too:

(It's a thinline)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't like it, but I can't get mad at it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BonHair posted:

I honestly don't know if this fits the thread, but I enjoy a good pun, so now you have to look at it too:

(It's a thinline)

I... actually love it. The literal F hole* thing is kind of cringe but Tele's with minimalist pickguards or more contoured ones like that are just my thing.

buddy, they won't even let me F it

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
A little work with a magic marker and the F would look like a shark smoking a cigarette. I would have to do that.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Fender did that F-hole on the resonator guitars they made a few years back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That one has an F hole and an A hole

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

BonHair posted:

(It's a thinline)

My OCD is making me mad as hell that the F is oriented for cute photo ops of just the guitar instead of actually making sense when it's being played by a person.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Fender F is bad design and always has been.

Now Peavey, there's a timeless logo font that totally doesn't look like the ballpoint margin doodles of a seventh grader.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Now Peavey, there's a timeless logo font that totally doesn't look like the ballpoint margin doodles of a seventh grader.

The Fender F is very weird but I think it looks good on their guitar and amps.
It's weird and definitely doesn't work in any other context though, you're right.

Also, yeah it's always been a baffling mystery to me that as soon as Peavey designed their "delta" logo, they didn't use it for literally everything they made from that point on. It's so much better.

This is a legitimately good logo.

But nope! Let's just keep using this one instead (you know, the one that looks like it was drawn by a skateboarding cartoon dog wearing a backwards hat and sunglasses):

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 20, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:hellyeah:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:krad:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

My OCD is making me mad as hell that the F is oriented for cute photo ops of just the guitar instead of actually making sense when it's being played by a person.

:same:

It's not bad but I never get why manufactures design things that look worse when they are being played.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/1992-fender-custom-shop-roundup-telecaster-transparent-red

they got it right on this one but in the wrong spot

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

But nope! Let's just keep using this one instead (you know, the one that looks like it was drawn by a skateboarding cartoon dog wearing a backwards hat and sunglasses):

Stealing my own post from this thread 2 years ago:

homewrecker posted:

Stolen from Reddit:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

You mean you wouldn't play a thinline Peavey Reactor with a P hole :laugh:?

edit: you might say I used the wrong logo since it doesn't match the headstock P, but note the Fender one uses a spaghetti F for the hole but has the "transition" logo for the head :colbert:

donut fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 20, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The peavey logo is iconic, unimpeachable design.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
once you let the 5150 into your heart, the peavey logo is sacred

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Automatic Slim posted:

:same:

It's not bad but I never get why manufactures design things that look worse when they are being played.

Fender striking hard at the target market of middle aged white guys with wall hangers behind where they take video meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

muike posted:

once you let the 5150 into your heart, the peavey logo is sacred

What's the go with the 5150/6505? Is it really the magic sound the hype says, or the Metal Zone of amps?