Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Tekne posted:

crazed eyes dart wildly over a dead blasted landscape

THERE ARE NO SINS IF THERE ARE NO MEN!

*blows up the megadome and every soul within*

THE CRIME IS LIFE!
THE SENTENCE IS DEATH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Number is tired and taking a break

all the finance people get their hot stock tips from facebook, which is down, so they can only sell.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so when are these loving freeloading babies going to pay back dow chemical for the plastic they are using to build organs?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

is there even any realistic way to clean up all the microplastics?
don't worry, the plastic industry has promised to do something maybe!

https://www.marinelittersolutions.com/about-us/joint-declaration/

quote:

None of us want to see plastics pollute our oceans, but we wouldn’t want a world without the benefits of plastics. That’s why plastics organizations from around the world joined to announce The Declaration of the Global Plastics Associations for Solutions on Marine Litter
lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wonder how much micro plastics blue whales get. Those are still around, right? They didn't go out shortly after Bowie and I missed it?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Homocow posted:

lol

i trust them. last time this happened they gave us recycling and that turned out great!

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Homocow posted:

lol

I just can't imagine a world without plastic. How did humans manage to survive all these years leading to 1907? Must have been horrific!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
guess we're gonna have to start hunting elephants for their ivory to make pool balls again instead of using plastics

*sighs and loads 40mm bofors*

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was shower thinking last night and I legitimately couldn't envision our food supply chains surviving sans-plastic without causing a nightmarish degree of environmental degradation in the process - due to the demand for paper and glass it would cause and the knock-on effects of those supply chains exploding in output.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

it's not good

nice litotes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don Pigeon posted:

I just can't imagine a world without plastic. How did humans manage to survive all these years leading to 1907? Must have been horrific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F6jQTz_EA

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

guess we're gonna have to start hunting elephants for their ivory to make pool balls again instead of using plastics

*sighs and loads 40mm bofors*

whats a bofor?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

freezepops posted:

whats a bofor?

BOFORS DEEZ BARRELS:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

BOFORS DEEZ BARRELS:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oops! too many people!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rime posted:

I was shower thinking last night and I legitimately couldn't envision our food supply chains surviving sans-plastic without causing a nightmarish degree of environmental degradation in the process - due to the demand for paper and glass it would cause and the knock-on effects of those supply chains exploding in output.

This is one of the most Malthusian things I've ever seen.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Unlike plastic, glass is really well re-usable and sanitizing is easy. infact, we used to have milk systems where people would leave out egg-crates of milk bottles, they'd pick them up and drop off newly filled ones. now granted you do rely on fossil fuels for driving around but well, yknow.

paper is actually something that lovely fast growing trees can be reliably mulched and grown again quickly without needing to cut down og forests

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xaris posted:

Unlike plastic, glass is really well re-usable and sanitizing is easy.

Too bad Fairfax County, one of the largest and richest in the state of Virginia, has started making everyone bring their glass to recycle to collection dumpsters located around the area. The local waste management companies don't even accept it anymore so the onus is entirely on the consumer to ~do the right thing~.

The overwhelming majority of people don't bother, and most of those who do don't remove labels or wash anything out, which makes the dumpsters all the more unpalatable because they attract bugs and rodents. Also, it's been impressed upon us that a good amount of RIC numbers just get landfilled even if we DO put them in with our recycling.

Eat Arby's. :toot:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's pretty cool that we pay deposits on plastic bottles to encourage us to recycle them but they are neither recycled nor do we get the deposit back

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

Unlike plastic, glass is really well re-usable and sanitizing is easy. infact, we used to have milk systems where people would leave out egg-crates of milk bottles, they'd pick them up and drop off newly filled ones. now granted you do rely on fossil fuels for driving around but well, yknow.

paper is actually something that lovely fast growing trees can be reliably mulched and grown again quickly without needing to cut down og forests

it continues to amazes me how incredibly effective the propaganda campaign was to convince people to use plastic bags over paper bags to 'save the environment'

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pipe milk

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Too bad Fairfax County, one of the largest and richest in the state of Virginia, has started making everyone bring their glass to recycle to collection dumpsters located around the area. The local waste management companies don't even accept it anymore so the onus is entirely on the consumer to ~do the right thing~.

The overwhelming majority of people don't bother, and most of those who do don't remove labels or wash anything out, which makes the dumpsters all the more unpalatable because they attract bugs and rodents. Also, it's been impressed upon us that a good amount of RIC numbers just get landfilled even if we DO put them in with our recycling.

Eat Arby's. :toot:
Not only that, but the glass doesn't get recycled into new glass products, it gets crushed to use as fill for road construction.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it was always weird they came up with a pipe system to deliver water to peoples homes but not milk.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

it continues to amazes me how incredibly effective the propaganda campaign was to convince people to use plastic bags over paper bags to 'save the environment'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyusNcYjy3A

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

kater posted:

it was always weird they came up with a pipe system to deliver water to peoples homes but not milk.

this is why i have a milk door in my house

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cloks posted:

this is why i have a milk door in my house

i used to live in an old apartment building by campus that had these, but i think it was for ice delivery? not sure

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

GEMorris posted:

Phoebe Bridgers just posted a cover of That Funny Feeling and it is loving perfect.

https://youtu.be/uRl9lNFKMBI

the live version where people in the crowd scream and cheer during the “total dissociation, totally out your mind” is current peak lol lmao

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Unless posted:

the live version where people in the crowd scream and cheer during the “total dissociation, totally out your mind” is current peak lol lmao

:rubby:

20,000 years of this, seven more to go

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Chamale posted:

:rubby:

20,000 years of this, seven more to go

that's how................... it works!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cspam favorite doomer, doctor crackl-ping, has discovered climate collapse

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1445247510235254789

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"... until eventually it's your camera doing the recording."

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1445048892089946113

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

SKULL.GIF posted:

cspam favorite doomer, doctor crackl-ping, has discovered climate collapse

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1445247510235254789

Eric Crackl-Ping is my favorite COVID discovery.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

don't be afraid of micro plastics, they are here to help us

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CODChimera posted:

don't be afraid of micro plastics, they are here to help us

Yes. Fellow human please do not fear.

It is fantastic to be plastic

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Incineration, biosphere cessation

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so I’m laying on a bed made of plastics covered in plastics wearing plastics holding plastics I unno my mouth prolly is full of plastics got plastic fans blowing plastic air through a plastic house man polymerization is an act of godhood and it’s so cheap it’s priced into a 30 cent squash.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

legit thought your post was a news story about the actual oil spill in california until i had nearly finished reading

lmfao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kater posted:

so I’m laying on a bed made of plastics covered in plastics wearing plastics holding plastics I unno my mouth prolly is full of plastics got plastic fans blowing plastic air through a plastic house man polymerization is an act of godhood and it’s so cheap it’s priced into a 30 cent squash.

love grinding up my plastic night guard while i sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

love grinding up my plastic night guard while i sleep

yeah this has been giving me a lot of anxiety lately too

which probably makes me grind even more