Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Periphery posted:

Reminder that all of this stems from that limo driver in NSW not wearing PPE when he wasn't required to wear PPE and NSW's failure to stop that outbreak.

The way that Melb went through multiple shorter lockdowns and seemingly got on top of those outbreaks only to have 1 weekend free before being sent into another lockdown caused by NSWs failure definitely crushed any remaining hope and confidence in the system that people had.

I think something really broke in our brains around lockdown number 5. The fact that it was basically all for nothing because the NSW Government didn't want to impose a lockdown was a big part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lolie posted:

Ugh. Premier Perrottet it is.

I, for one, welcome our new Opus Dei* overlord and would like to remind him that as a baptised Catholic I can be useful in rounding up other shitposters to toil in his underground privatisation mines.

*Although he want to a school run by Opus Dei, he has denied that his is in fact a member.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lolie posted:

Ugh. Premier Perrottet it is.

Time to kiss the ring NSW

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Aware posted:

So... let her rip?

Yes once it's November this my preference. gently caress living like this any longer.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Before Times posted:

I think something really broke in our brains around lockdown number 5. The fact that it was basically all for nothing because the NSW Government didn't want to impose a lockdown was a big part of it

Yeah, I think there was a big switch from "We can do it, we've done it before, just a few more days" to "Why the gently caress do we bother when this poo poo keeps happening through no fault of our own". People had already lost so much time and control over their lives and the perceived futility of the situation has forced people to to make a choice between losing more or trying to gain some back.

I'm not saying this to excuse people who do things like throw a party in their home, but I can totally understand why people are making choices that break the rules if it helps them gain some level of normalcy and control in their lives.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aware posted:

I dunno, Israel doesn't seem to be having a fun time double dosed

They look like they're having a more fun time than us.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Ya followed all the rules and been hosed over. Really frustrated that what feels like the social compact has been broken by both state and federal government

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
The trouble with looking to Israel is that for all of the bluster about being vaccinated, they still sit at only 2/3 of the population vaccinated. Britain's vaccination rate suddenly looks the Nullarbor Plain and the US still won't acknowledge that many states are a poverty stricken backwater.

We really should be looking at Portugal who sit in the high 80s for full vaccinations and how that has changed their caseload and death-rate.

Doc Holliday fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 5, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Australians being rule followers will maybe result in a high rate of vaccination when it's all said and done

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
The counter-argument to 'people just wanna live' is remaining in lockdown to keep our beleaguered state healthcare from collapsing is better than just throwing our hands up and letting this run rampant while the survivors get vaccinated. I agree, but I do think that it ignores that the unspoken agreement between the state and the citizen was an entirely selfish one. 'Stay indoors so you can go outside later' is easier to sell than 'stay indoors so people who are just a number on the news to you don't cough out their lungs in overcrowded hospitals.'

Right now, the current unspoken agreement is 'get vaccinated so you can go outside later,' which is why people are so eager to get a vaccine and more willing to break the rules once they have one. If you wanted to keep people obeying the rules, 'stay indoors so you can get vaccinated so you can go outside later' should be the way to sell it. Anecdotally, I know of a few people who had to rebook their vaccination appointments because they were at one of an ever-increasing number of exposure sites, and they were not happy about it. Emphasising that increasing case numbers decreases your chance of getting vaccinated would encourage more people to stick with restrictions.

(You would then have to deal with people who break the rules once they get double-dosed, or with those who cannot get vaccinated, and if I'm honest I don't really know what the response is there.)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

Australians being rule followers will maybe result in a high rate of vaccination when it's all said and done

One of the NRL mega-parties on the weekend was in my LGA. Over 95% of our residents have had one dose and 75% are fully vaccinated. It will be interesting to see whether our high vaccination level mitigates the impact of what could very well be a super-spreader event.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Not in Victoria, but the vibe I'm getting (and I imagine will be repeated when we get cases here in SA) seems to also be a result of the messaging.

People know that the plan is to open up in the near future and almost certainly have much higher numbers of cases. Sitting down to prolong the inevitable is a much harder sell than lockdowns to get things back to a pre-Covid normal.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doc Holliday posted:

The trouble with looking to Israel is that for all of the bluster about being vaccinated, they still sit at only 2/3 of the population vaccinated. Britain's vaccination rate suddenly looks the Nullarbor Plain and the US still won't acknowledge that many states are a poverty stricken backwater.

We really should be looking at Portugal who sit in the high 80s for full vaccinations and how that has changed their caseload and death-rate.

Looking at Israel seems like a good reference, considering their 80% vaccination rate is of over 12's, which with their younger population is about equivalent to our 80% of over 16's target.

Portugal is a great target, but I doubt we can hit it without some big stick penalties for not getting vaccinated which we aren't going to get.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think Victorians are just piss weak tbh. Lots of whining and "what did you expect?" hand wringing and excuses.

Ah well Sydney hosed us, guess it's ok to open mouth kiss all the rellies on grand final day.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Senor Tron posted:

Sitting down to prolong the inevitable is a much harder sell than lockdowns to get things back to a pre-Covid normal.

Pre-covid normal was never a possibility once Delta arrived.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
So we're getting 300,000 doses of Molnupiravir, hopefully the ivermectin crowd will settle down for a while.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lolie posted:

Pre-covid normal was never a possibility once Delta arrived.

I expect masks are now a permanent fixture at the least, which in my mind is only a good thing. Influenza infections plummeted in the last year, it'd be great if this could be maintained without actual lockdowns.

Vaccination passports probably are too, and probably expanded to cover seasonal 'flu, MMR etc.

It'll be interesting to see if density limits become a regular occurrence for stadiums, concerts, and to a certain degree restaurants.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snickothemule posted:

Molnupiravir

Hardly knew 'er

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/BGOnTheScene/status/1445090722055610383

?????????

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ah well Sydney hosed us, guess it's ok to open mouth kiss all the rellies on grand final day.

Why wait?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

Right now, the current unspoken agreement is 'get vaccinated so you can go outside later,' which is why people are so eager to get a vaccine and more willing to break the rules once they have one. If you wanted to keep people obeying the rules, 'stay indoors so you can get vaccinated so you can go outside later' should be the way to sell it.

Yes. Previously, people were reluctant to break the rules because they knew that spreading COVID would result in lockdown lasting longer, which seriously fucks over the entire state. Now the end of lockdown has shifted to vaccination targets and therefore breaking the rules and spreading COVID only results in a handful more cases on the daily 1,000+ pile, so it becomes a totally different personal calculus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Save us from another 3 years of Scomo.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1445203692655767552

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Australia, you know, were the Na'vi live?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The positive is that all those people won't ever consider moving to our much better country at least

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

American stupidity really is the all soothing balm in times of trouble.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxxig_SOxBA&t=148s

Edit - I'd forgotten what they were saying just before this timecode, and it's a bit gross as far as treatment of/reference to trans people is concerned, so I apologise if it's not ok to post. I just remembered Andy Samberg's "I'm doing much better than you" and it was the first thing I thought of seeing Americans wanting to "save Australia".

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 5, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not surprised australia has fallen, it constantly fails to clear even low hurdles.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I find it incredibly bizarre that we're being used as propaganda in American far right media.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wheezle posted:

I find it incredibly bizarre that we're being used as propaganda in American far right media.

I wish we were doing as well as they are trying to make out we are. :(

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm telling you Tucker, this Daniel guy, Daniel Andrews. People in Melburrne are calling him Chairman Dan and if you step a foot outside during lockdown to do grocery shopping or salute the flag. This Daniel fellow, will send Covid Commandos after you and kill your dog.

Furthermore, they are claiming LGAs stands for Local Government Areas but my sources tell me that in Chairman Dan's government, it actually stands for Latest Government Assassinations!

God help these people.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In Australia they drive on the wrong side of the road and I speculate that it's because of vaccines.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
drat the long weekend screwing with NSW vaccination rates. We were on track to hit 70% double dose tomorrow until vaccination rates poo poo the bed on the weekend. Now we won't reach it until Friday.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lolie posted:

drat the long weekend screwing with NSW vaccination rates. We were on track to hit 70% double dose tomorrow until vaccination rates poo poo the bed on the weekend. Now we won't reach it until Friday.

Yeah that happened here with the added benefit of cases tripling enjoy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Yeast posted:

It’s on a per-state basis.

If you want to get a head start, link your Medicare with your myGov if you haven’t already.

Pro tip: unless you know the precise date and place you last used your Medicare card, you will need to go into a Medicare office and ask for a code which allows you to bypass that question when you're trying to link your accounts.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Also log into your myGov account at least once a year or they delete it and you have to start again

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
This is loving hilarious and not just because of the “Romani Ite Domum” sign.

https://twitter.com/jason_om/status/1444932812734226433

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm tootin right now.

Looks pretty flammable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Do we know when the by-elections for Gladys and Barilaro's seats will be?

Also, am I the only one disturbed at how certain parts of the media are painting a "poor Gladys" narrative? I saw more than one article positing the perspective that she is just a poor innocent woman led astray by matters of the heart and choosing the wrong boyfriend, we can all relate to that eh girls? It's also supported by stuff like the altar of flowers shown in the tweet above.

That feels hugely hosed up to me.

Also a big gently caress you to ScoMo, this time for openly and publicly attacking the NSW ICAC, and saying "when/if we get a federal ICAC we certainly won't be doing it like that. I mean imagine corruption among Liberal premiers having consequences. Not at Federal level." pretty much verbatim.