Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Rutibex posted:

how can you invade your own airspace

Good point, the ROCAF should fly some sorties over the mainland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Good point, the ROCAF should fly some sorties over the mainland

Should probably figure out how to stop their planes from crashing first.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maybe the federal government should lend them some aid then.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Americans don't trust Taiwanese with any half-way advanced weaponry because they are afraid somebody would fly the F35 to mainland lol.

It's a catch 22.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Americans don't trust Taiwanese with any half-way advanced weaponry because they are afraid somebody would fly the F35 to mainland lol.

It's a catch 22.

are there CCP sympathizers in the Taiwanese army?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/taiwannews886/status/1421070570066616324

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A lot of people would probably sympathize with getting set for life doing something like that if they dont give a gently caress about returning to the island or whatever.

Plus you dont need to actually physically fly the thing to get most of the info you need from it and in all honestly china probably already has all the info it needs from it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
one untalked about small advantage of drones is that pilots can't defect with their fancy new hardware whenever they feel like it

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's a catch 22.

China can not be allowed to learn the F35s only weakness.... flying.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's a catch 22.

this would be truly devastating because then the PLA will fly the chengdu j-20 air superiority fighter to run circles around the f-35 and playfully mock it, and that would be really embarrassing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hot witch divorcee posted:

this would be truly devastating because then the PLA will fly the chengdu j-20 air superiority fighter to run circles around the f-35 and playfully mock it, and that would be really embarrassing

actually that would be good for the US military because then they can say they need more funding

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In a real 100% entire might of a countries GDP put into a war effort there would be like 3 j20s for each F35 we could field, f22s stopped production so all that would be left would be modified f16s.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i bet everyone mocking the spy chip story has egg on their face now that xi activated the kill switch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1444887958851670021

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

are there CCP sympathizers in the Taiwanese army?

I’m sure there are ROCAF pilots who would like to be millionaires with a harem of models catering to their every need for the rest of their life. patriotism only goes so far…

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PandaTribune/status/1445113219161395208

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/davidkersten/status/1444141300937199620

China's tech tree slingshot pro strat is unbalanced and must be nerfed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GalloVOA/status/1445155390568628230

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Capitalism... bad? Based Scott Adams?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

lol I love that she did not specify what the specific proposals were

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1444812020960796673

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Capitalism... bad? Based Scott Adams?

isn't the whole point of Dilbert that capitalism is bad, or at least leads to the alienation of labor

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

isn't the whole point of Dilbert that capitalism is bad, or at least leads to the alienation of labor

The point of Dilbert is that people Scott Adams doesn't like (i.e. people who aren't Scott Adams) are dumb dumb dumb, and Scott Adams is a stable genius, and I would recommend shying away from trying to outline a coherent ideological narrative from anything he has said or done.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the entire point of dilbert is that all his coworkers and his boss are all dumb lazy idiots (except for his woman coworker (who is just angry at everything all the time)) while dilbert is a mega genius who's being held back by everyone else

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lol that the CIA is just nakedly fighting quarterly profits.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There really is a power struggle between the state apparatus vs. finance in America.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Winnie Xi will gladly trade in half a dozen Jack Mas to the speedrun merchant for a working Thorium reactor.

Also Alipay can suck my dick, 2 years ago I could register a traveller account and use US credit card to load RMB onto a alipay account. Now I can't even login. Keep asking me to re upload passport photos and keep saying upload error.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There really is a power struggle between the state apparatus vs. finance in America.

They got comfortable after the USSR fell. Shed people, really embraced capitalism, and now they're realizing they drank too greedily and too deep and none of their poo poo works anymore and all their employees are just grifting them and they can't do spycraft anymore

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Is that a XP wallpaper? God knows how many documented bugs can crash that poo poo during Kim-Park phone call.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is that a XP wallpaper? God knows how many documented bugs can crash that poo poo during Kim-Park phone call.

I'm sure they're using RED STAR OS and not any filthy capitalist operating system

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

They got comfortable after the USSR fell. Shed people, really embraced capitalism, and now they're realizing they drank too greedily and too deep and none of their poo poo works anymore and all their employees are just grifting them and they can't do spycraft anymore

I think it’s more of an intensifying rivalry between industrial capital which is more sensitive to labor costs due to the amount of fixed capital required and finance capital which actually rules the world

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

I think it’s more of an intensifying rivalry between industrial capital which is more sensitive to labor costs due to the amount of fixed capital required and finance capital which actually rules the world

western industrial capital already offshored all its investments to china and became financial capital themselves

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Are you calling China industrial capital? Where do you place the other east Asian countries?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grapplejack posted:

I'm sure they're using RED STAR OS and not any filthy capitalist operating system

nope it’s the xp background and icons

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think western and especially american natsec types are arguing for a pullback of american investment into other countries for what they deem national security reasons (them realizing in the last couple years that the computer chips that go in everything are all made overseas and freaking out to quickly correct this is the loudest example) while the american finance and business sectors are uniformly against this because international wage arbitrage facilitated by free movement of capital (combined with restricted movement of people) has been the source of 100% of all their profits for the last half century

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you calling China industrial capital? Where do you place the other east Asian countries?

no I was just commenting on the america tangent

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

western industrial capital already offshored all its investments to china and became financial capital themselves

potentially really dumb take: the energy sector is still western industrial capital and the us military should be considered a capital expense

it’s too expensive to run the kind of empire americas been used to since ww2, so what we’re seeing is a widening fissure between energy-military industrial capital and finance capital

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Grapplejack posted:

lol spycraft

theyre literally just white ivy league fratbro drug smugglers at this point

with a little bit of failed attempts at regime changing on the side i suppose?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

potentially really dumb take: the energy sector is still western industrial capital and the us military should be considered a capital expense

it’s too expensive to run the kind of empire americas been used to since ww2, so what we’re seeing is a widening fissure between energy-military industrial capital and finance capital

I read an explanation that the US was able to keep the developed world/developing world status quote for 80 years with virtually no country could elevate into the developed club is that US has had a cycle of steps to keep the other countries down. Baaically it goes like this, US went into a country and beat the crap out of it for reasons (see, Iraq), and then US was supposed to "rebuild" it by making the country sign away all her resource rich mines and let the US companies get all the fat contracts to make power plants/extract resource/oil refinery/whatever, which basically would completely control the resource and political system of the country for eternity.

However, this changed since the recent Middle East wars because Chinese companies were able to go in the post war rebuild phrase of the cycle (in Iraq) and has been able to offered more competitive and cheaper service for infrasturture building. This breaks up the US harvesting phrase of the cycle and thus making the US global military empire unsustainable.

I am not that into the detail of infrasturture contracts so I haven't verify it from a different thinktank source yet. However this explanation sound reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Agrajag posted:

lol spycraft

theyre literally just white ivy league fratbro drug smugglers at this point

with a little bit of failed attempts at regime changing on the side i suppose?

dont have to be good when you can give local reactionaries lots of money and have them do the legwork.