Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

It was a sith hunting other sith. That’s not something really seen in other Star Wars media, so it’s interesting for that if nothing else.

Oh for sure, that was a unique twist. I still didn't feel a huge need to know more though. Again, maybe it's just me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, it’s not the most compelling thing ever, but the background they ended up giving it in the novel was indeed pretty neat.

The ronin is a former Jedi master who leaves the order when they decide to stop being wandering monks who help people and instead swear fealty to the Empire. The ronin then founds the Sith, but something something they become evil. So he’s going around stopping their remnants.

I’d of course love to see more of The Ninth Jedi not the least because it’s set post RoS.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hazo posted:

Don't get me wrong; it loving ruled. But that's mostly thanks to the animation style (was it rotoscoped? I couldn't tell but it definitely wasn't hand-drawn) and to how it served as a perfect tonal introduction to the Visions series.

3D with visual filter; the director wanted to make it look like analog TV, and make the 3D look hand-drawn

Kamikaze Douga also did Batman Ninja, which uses a similar - albeit not nearly as harshly stylized - 3D style

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, it’s not the most compelling thing ever, but the background they ended up giving it in the novel was indeed pretty neat.

The ronin is a former Jedi master who leaves the order when they decide to stop being wandering monks who help people and instead swear fealty to the Empire. The ronin then founds the Sith, but something something they become evil. So he’s going around stopping their remnants.

I’d of course love to see more of The Ninth Jedi not the least because it’s set post RoS.

So does the novel keep the spacefaring part of the setting or is it all "Star Wars transplanted into Planet Japan" on one world?

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but ironically I felt like The Duel was the one least in need of an expanded backstory.

I didn't think it needed a backstory, it just was what it was. That's why it ranks dead last for me. Wandering ronin badass being a wandering ronin badass. That's fine but I've seen it many, many times before and I've seen it done much better. Sure, it is a lot of fun.

It is the playground version of that self-serious kid who actually read the Star Wars books as opposed to just watching the movies like a normal person. Give me Twins any day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

So does the novel keep the spacefaring part of the setting or is it all "Star Wars transplanted into Planet Japan" on one world?

The first line of the novel is

quote:

Two months after the Ronin arrived on the Outer Rim world of Genbara, he ran out of credits.
So yes, there's space travel

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Ronin ever given an actual name in the novel?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

So is the Ronin ever given an actual name in the novel?

Sith Master Bayts.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm not a huge Star Wars lore guy, but does the Outer Rim go all the way around the galaxy?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Sith Master Bayts.

I know you’re loving with me but given some of the official names we’ve had in this franchise (including a musical style literally called Jizz) that almost sounds plausible.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm not a huge Star Wars lore guy, but does the Outer Rim go all the way around the galaxy?

Depends on the map.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

hiddenriverninja posted:

Have fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Oh, that's interesting how all the developed planets are on one side. Convenient. Thanks everyone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah basically the Rim goes out to the Galactic East, the western half of the galaxy is still mostly unexplored.

You've also got the Rishi Maze, which is the Dwarf galaxy in a decaying orbit of the galaxy far far away and on the absolute fringes of this dwarf galaxy is the Kamino System.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

Not quite - the entire west side is mostly uncharted - labeled the Unknown Regions, with Batuu and Jedha being on its edge

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Being that it only takes literally less than a week to travel across one side of the galaxy to the other what is the reason that there is so much of the Galaxy that is unexplored, especially since this ability has been part of the Star Wars technology for literally thousands of years?

Edit: I’m not being snarky, I’m just wondering what the official explanation is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Being that it only takes literally less than a week to travel across one side of the galaxy to the other what is the reason that there is so much of the Galaxy that is unexplored, especially since this ability has been part of the Star Wars technology for literally thousands of years?

Edit: I’m not being snarky, I’m just wondering what the official explanation is.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops boy!!

A lot of the legends lore and stuff has hyperspace travel in the old old times being super dangerous, which is why the galaxy grew out from "the core" of closely connected planets. Hyperspace cartographers charted safe courses and finding sick new routes was very profitable. The unknown regions don't have safe hyperspace routes and it hasnt been profitable to expand over there so ergo its not explored.

Chalk most of it up to invention and maintaining some semblance of mystery and unexplored area for future storytelling.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Unknown Regions are also very unstable for hyperspace and inconsistent for making new lanes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's much easier to travel a hyperspace path that has been charted than it is to plot a jump to an unknown location. You can't just aim at a star, jump to lightspeed and end up at your destination.

Plus Star Wars has really, really crowded space where things like asteroid fields and black holes are obstacles close enough together to require fancy manual flying rather than flying several million kilometers away to bypass them at sublight velocities.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah basically the Rim goes out to the Galactic East, the western half of the galaxy is still mostly unexplored.

You've also got the Rishi Maze, which is the Dwarf galaxy in a decaying orbit of the galaxy far far away and on the absolute fringes of this dwarf galaxy is the Kamino System.

Kamino? It's not a system I'm familiar with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

Kamino? It's not a system I'm familiar with.

Maybe Jocasta should have gone and listened to a literal child before she started poo poo talking Obi-Wan

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe Jocasta should have gone and listened to a literal child before she started poo poo talking Obi-Wan

Counterpoint: poo poo-talking Obi-wan is its own reward.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Madurai posted:

Counterpoint: poo poo-talking Obi-wan is its own reward.

Impossible, perhaps your point of view is incomplete.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jocasta fought Vader with a lightsaber gun, she’s cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jocasta fought Vader with a lightsaber gun, she’s cool.

That's not how I remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPOdWYAkp0

Revenge of the Sith game was lit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 4, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

McTimmy posted:

The Unknown Regions are also very unstable for hyperspace and inconsistent for making new lanes.
Yeah, the new Thrawn books basically say that you can jump short distances at a time, or you need a force-sensitive pilot to guide the ship safely.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Theres also some stuff where you might jump half way across across galaxy in a major trunk route in half an hour, but getting to the system next door could take weeks, because there isn't a good stable route and you have to take a circuitous path.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arc Hammer posted:

This looks fun as gently caress. I went to the PS store to buy it but tragically it's not there.

Lmao are they just trying to retcon Jocasta Nu into some kind of badass after she was such a closed-minded dick to Obi-Wan in AotC?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder if we'll ever get an extended flashback sequence with newly minted Darth Vader just clearing out the Jedi Temple in the new Obi Wan Disney+ show.

Because how can they not? It's loving ripe with potential.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

Lmao are they just trying to retcon Jocasta Nu into some kind of badass after she was such a closed-minded dick to Obi-Wan in AotC?

comic spoilers it's a short story in which she tries to find some records in the jedi archive of force sensitive people but runs into Vader and an inquisitor. She does well enough to hold off Vader for a bit with that gun but is eventually captured and killed by Vader on the same issue. A good final stand

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

comic spoilers it's a short story in which she tries to find some records in the jedi archive of force sensitive people but runs into Vader and an inquisitor. She does well enough to hold off Vader for a bit with that gun but is eventually captured and killed by Vader on the same issue. A good final stand

That's pretty cool. I didn't know she survived Order 66 but then again who the hell can keep track anymore.

AndyElusive posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get an extended flashback sequence with newly minted Darth Vader just clearing out the Jedi Temple in the new Obi Wan Disney+ show.

Because how can they not? It's loving ripe with potential.

Which is exactly why they should leave it alone, because it's inevitably going to be disappointing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You know they can't leave it alone and if I'm right, they won't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm guessing they'll do something with the message Obi Wan left at the temple that we saw Kanan had in Rebels. Some jedi survivor looks to Obi Wan for help and he leaves Tatooine for a bit to try and ensure their safety.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At this rate, the only Jedi that died by Order 66 will be the ones that died on screen in ROTS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

This looks fun as gently caress. I went to the PS store to buy it but tragically it's not there.

Yeah, they kind of turned her into the "keeper of secrets" for the order. There's a whole extra hidden library of crazy Sith poo poo that only her and like Yoda and Mace know about, and she's not entirely sure if Kenobi was asking about something in that or not.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sash! posted:

At this rate, the only Jedi that died by Order 66 will be the ones that died on screen in ROTS.

I mean, we all saw Plo blow up, but if Filoni has anything to say about it...PLO'S BROS: THE SERIES

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Palpatine can return so can Plo Koon

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

The United States posted:

If Palpatine can return so can Plo Koon

Dave Filoni will raise plo koon from the dead with his bare hands if he has to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Akakiri was the stand-out episode for me, and the only episode I’ve felt worth recommending to people. Interesting to see so many people consider it the weakest.