Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
as an aside, here's how he decided to word 'I had a meltdown and got banned when I had no good response to getting called out':

and no you can't see the giant flood of 'why did membership drop from 100 to like 20' since he full-on deleted all guild-specific channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm not worried at all about it and yeah, Feds may do something cool to help us out. Wreckis is talking to their leadership now. Just love how much this guy has goonfucked.

Yeah when more or less the same thing happened to us in Eve Echoes with Valador and then Tremek taking all of the assets and then loving off, we were in an even worse situation than we are here and after a few days of chilling out and grouping up together we turned HONK into the most effective powerhouse in the game over the next month.

We can do the same thing here even if we get nothing else out of UwU. Just gotta play the game together and have a good time, and we'll get a place to call home before you know it. Goonfucking sucks but it can be recovered from, and I believe in y'all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Counterpoint: the guy is at the point of harassing random queer people on discord who have zero interest in talking to him for parenting tips because he himself could not stop bringing his kid up. It's pretty drat reasonable for people to interpret that as him having zero loving clue (about parenting or about anything else)

anyways good job tossing him out finally, it would be good to have a more formalized way to report people being wildly inappropriate on sa-affiliated discords that we could point people experiencing harassment to in the future. Sucks that that's necessary, but as long as good, welcoming gaming communities are one of SA's big draws, it's probably a good thing to have some formal policy for
The policy is and will remain "I don't want to hear about poo poo that happens in discord". He was banned for his actions here on the forums, namely, recruiting for discords that then go on to cause drama and dumb arguments. If he hadn't been using this site to recruit for his discord, we wouldn't have acted at all. Please, if someone is harassing you on discord, tell the discord mods. If they won't moderate their discord, leave it, I'm begging you. It's not surprising that you've noticed that unmoderated goon discords are really bad, they are really bad, but you should act on that by leaving them rather than outsourcing the moderation to the volunteer staff of this website. We aren't punishing people for bad posts in #splatoongoons on synirc or on bread and roses or any other offsite. The guy is banned but that's no excuse to start talking poo poo about his family and compiling dossiers of his discord messages.

My first cut attempt at a policy would be like "Recruiting people for discords on SA is a limited right that can be taken away at any time. Nobody outside your discord circle wants to hear about your discord drama, so don't bring it to SA. We'd rather ban you from mentioning discord at all than moderate your server for you. Our volunteer staff does enough work moderating this website and does not have time to try and moderate your offsite. Unless something is so extreme that it clearly merits a permaban, we don't want to hear about it."

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My first cut attempt at a policy would be like "Recruiting people for discords on SA is a limited right that can be taken away at any time. Nobody outside your discord circle wants to hear about your discord drama, so don't bring it to SA. We'd rather ban you from mentioning discord at all than moderate your server for you. Our volunteer staff does enough work moderating this website and does not have time to try and moderate your offsite. Unless something is so extreme that it clearly merits a permaban, we don't want to hear about it."

It'd absolutely be a big workload improvement for the moderation here to have a specification for 'when can Discord/guild invite privileges be revoked'; given history I'm very leery of taking the onus off of the Discord server's owner though, this isn't the first time a guild has recruited by advertising that We're True Goons and turned out to internally be made of ban/month+ probation-worthy people who have never actually interacted with SA itself.

(definitely going off-topic from anal gland technology though, so will shut up now)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The policy is and will remain "I don't want to hear about poo poo that happens in discord". He was banned for his actions here on the forums, namely, recruiting for discords that then go on to cause drama and dumb arguments. If he hadn't been using this site to recruit for his discord, we wouldn't have acted at all. Please, if someone is harassing you on discord, tell the discord mods. If they won't moderate their discord, leave it, I'm begging you. It's not surprising that you've noticed that unmoderated goon discords are really bad, they are really bad, but you should act on that by leaving them rather than outsourcing the moderation to the volunteer staff of this website. We aren't punishing people for bad posts in #splatoongoons on synirc or on bread and roses or any other offsite. The guy is banned but that's no excuse to start talking poo poo about his family and compiling dossiers of his discord messages.

I think the point where it becomes an SA issue is when it's the main game discord linked in a thread (or a ton of different threads!) and that in those cases there is clearly some kind of tacit approval being communicated to casual readers, doubly so when it's discords using sa's name and logo and clearly enjoying a direct, unhindered connection to the forums. I agree it sucks that it's extra work, but the upside is that SA has a bunch of pretty drat cool gaming communities that draw a ton of people into the site, both idiot j4gs and otherwise.

This is as opposed to actual offsite poo poo which I don't think you will almost ever see linked on SA unless someone made a particularly embarrassing banme that then became a meme

quote:

I think you have the right idea here in part, but there needs to be some lower threshold of stuff getting reported because there does need to be some way of identifying patterns of harassment. Also imo you need a distinction between just blanket calling stuff drama and poo poo that clearly is abusive or harassment, which is very much not the same as drama. No one wants to hear about discord slapfights, but no one wants people with legit complaints to go unheard, either. Hell, do what twitch does: if you have a community you are responsible for managing it and if we hear that you aren't managing it, you lose the ability to have it here, which tbf is pretty close to what you have come around to.

E: I also want to emphasize that I'm pretty confident that you can go into probably 90+% of the discords linked in the OPs of various games forum threads and find largely pretty drat good communities. No doubt the worst of the worst are absolute dogshit, but that's a small minority of them and even that is mostly just a handful of known shitbags that have been floating around here for ages.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 5, 2021

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

drat playing games with goons kicks rear end!!!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I don't suppose we could talk about the game?

Is anyone else rocking gaxe+musket?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I both love and hate the fact that the (one and only ever) owner of the entire website had to come into this specific thread to throw down with y'all. :allears:

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Is anyone else rocking gaxe+musket?

Yes, actually, the last couple days. Why? I've mostly just been doing weapon rotations trying to level each and when I got GAxe to around 7 I replaced my hatchet with Musket to power level it and it's been fun. Do you need a build or something?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

maybe they should patch the game to make it more compelling than goon drama

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think the point where it becomes an SA issue is when it's the main game discord linked in a thread (or a ton of different threads!) and that in those cases there is clearly some kind of tacit approval being communicated to casual readers, doubly so when it's discords using sa's name and logo and clearly enjoying a direct, unhindered connection to the forums. I agree it sucks that it's extra work, but the upside is that SA has a bunch of pretty drat cool gaming communities that draw a ton of people into the site, both idiot j4gs and otherwise.

This is as opposed to actual offsite poo poo which I don't think you will almost ever see linked on SA unless someone made a particularly embarrassing banme that then became a meme

Bad Games Crew doesn't use SA's logo though. at least not in an unmodified fashion. Maybe they can be forced to remove it but is it really worth it? Extremely unlikely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Aye Doc posted:

Such vaporware does not exist

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Nalin posted:

Oof. Looks like TT is going to give the whole guild including all the territory and money to Federation Gold and leave all the goons out to dry.

lmfao so the goon guild bank ended up with.... me

thats so dumb its hilarious

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This has been my point the entire time. I disliked the dude for his behavior outside of SA in MMOs and only his cringe bullshit would appear in threads. He never actually breaks forum rules in SA which is why he lasted as long as he did. Years of him creating MMO threads and recruiting for offsite guild forums isolated a majority of his poo poo from the gaze of the wider goon mmo community. Most may think this came out of nowhere but it just so happened that over the course of a day many goons from many different mmo communities over the years finally met in a single thread and talked about it.

So yeah don't police the offsite bullshit but this guy was a special case where MMOs most of the time require the use of third party chat and voice channels to function as a group so badr/TT was allowed to grift for power unchecked for a very long time. Every time he was caught, attacked and kicked there would be a gap in time and a new community to move to with the new hotness coming out. New people unaware of the old people. Old people aware but silent in the new mmo because to attack the throne requires more ammo than "he is just a cringe shithead and terrible leader".

As for all the more damming stories about him coming to surface I can't speak to those because I only knew him as Badr and he tried to make TSW Illuminati goon Tshirts and demanded cabal admin as J4G so I kicked him. He has been annoying to watch ever since and I won't join a group he is thirsting over. Turns out. I wasn't the only one and honestly given SA rules and policy I thought he was untouchable and just something we all had to suffer forever.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

I enjoy the game.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yes, actually, the last couple days. Why? I've mostly just been doing weapon rotations trying to level each and when I got GAxe to around 7 I replaced my hatchet with Musket to power level it and it's been fun. Do you need a build or something?

Not looking for a build. I just think it's a pairing I haven't seen often. It's been really interesting in both pve and pvp. Just got both to 12+ to finish out the final skills (sniper especially).

It's been great!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Neato posted:

So what's the overall opinion of the new world so far here? Is it good for someone looking for a fun but relatively chill experience?

It’s good if you enjoy mindless gathering, crafting, or drama

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

lmfao so the goon guild bank ended up with.... me

thats so dumb its hilarious

Hahahahahahahahah omfg this owns

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe it's because I haven't played an MMO in awhile, but I find the game to be rather fun. The grind, while as long as it ever was with other games, is more enjoyable to me as well. I've kind of abandoned the main and side quests about 10 levels ago to just go out and do whatever I wanted to do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

orange juche posted:

Bad Games Crew doesn't use SA's logo though. at least not in an unmodified fashion. Maybe they can be forced to remove it but is it really worth it? Extremely unlikely.

this is the main gdn discord which is where tt was sending broc weird messages

It's the first, main discord linked on the goon discord network page, eg

screenshots from today

Anyways I will stop derailing this thread cuz there are probably better places to have this convo. I hope SA ends up with a better way of catching this kind of poo poo before it progresses as far in the future and I'm confident that can be done without making sa mods personally moderate all the various goon discords.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2021

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

2DCAT posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played an MMO in awhile, but I find the game to be rather fun. The grind, while as long as it ever was with other games, is more enjoyable to me as well. I've kind of abandoned the main and side quests about 10 levels ago to just go out and do whatever I wanted to do

Yeah I've been skipping most of the sidequests and just making up the xp through crafting. The main quest is just free xp outside of the dungeon quests though so do those

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I enjoy the game.
Not looking for a build. I just think it's a pairing I haven't seen often. It's been really interesting in both pve and pvp. Just got both to 12+ to finish out the final skills (sniper especially).

It's been great!

PvE has definitely been good just to have the option to go ranged or melee with a group but I haven’t tried it in PvP. I feel like the thing about musket is you want light armor for max damage because you’re not in the fight but for the great axe you want heavy armor because of the CC and being in the fight so max points in strength and constitution. It’s just not the most efficient combo for PvP unfortunately.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

PvE has definitely been good just to have the option to go ranged or melee with a group but I haven’t tried it in PvP. I feel like the thing about musket is you want light armor for max damage because you’re not in the fight but for the great axe you want heavy armor because of the CC and being in the fight so max points in strength and constitution. It’s just not the most efficient combo for PvP unfortunately.

I don't put any points into dex. It's purely used to engage (and start a burn) and, if they run, finish them off. The main plan is still great axe. It's been reasonable in pvp. Eventually I'll test the build with some dex and see if there's any value in it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Let’s talk about armor. What kind of armor should I be wearing for PvE? My great axe hatchet character feels like I missed something.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Because they locked character creation on Royllo there is now only a 10 person queue on the server. However, the server that I played on while waiting for transfers now has a 1500+ person queue because it’s not locked.

:rubby:

Edit: It gets even better. I made a character on Royllo but was never able to log on due to the huge queues. Now I have a level 1 character that has never logged on to Royllo. When trying to log on to Royllo, I get put in the queue but can never actually enter the world because the character has never logged into Royllo. Amazing.

:rubby:

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 5, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
My freakin guildmate just got another ban, this time upgraded to a 2 day ban after he just finished a 24h ban not less than.. 24 hours ago. This time I completely avoided faction/global chat so I haven't received anything (yet). There's absolutely no way that there is a human being reviewing these bans at all, our guild is hated by our faction for no reason other than disliking racists/sexists/spammers and being vocal about it, yet due to the sheer numbers of idiots abusing the report button my guildmate is the one copping all the penalties.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ASAPI posted:

Let’s talk about armor. What kind of armor should I be wearing for PvE? My great axe hatchet character feels like I missed something.

If you have a good tank that’s always getting the agro go light for full dmg potential but your best bet is just full heavy for dungeons.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I don't put any points into dex. It's purely used to engage (and start a burn) and, if they run, finish them off. The main plan is still great axe. It's been reasonable in pvp. Eventually I'll test the build with some dex and see if there's any value in it.

Sounds good. Please post results.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Apart from the Trading Post, how can I get some gems to socket my gear with?
I guessed it was from mining, which makes the most sense, but as far as crafting goes I haven't been able to find gems listed in any unlearned recipes in the various professions.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

truther posted:

Apart from the Trading Post, how can I get some gems to socket my gear with?
I guessed it was from mining, which makes the most sense, but as far as crafting goes I haven't been able to find gems listed in any unlearned recipes in the various professions.

stonecutting, mine up a bunch of stone and cut them into blocks to raise up the level, don't bother with cutting the first tier gems since you can upgrade 3 minor types into a regular type

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, what part should I remove??? I don't see anywhere I've mentioned you or your body.

oh i was just like, trying to ask for the future and then was still in the mode of 'people dont beleive me when im talking about this dude' and overexplained.

The Shortest Path posted:

I think they meant not to add the stuff they posted about TT when you update the OP.

yeah

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kill All Cops posted:

stonecutting, mine up a bunch of stone and cut them into blocks to raise up the level, don't bother with cutting the first tier gems since you can upgrade 3 minor types into a regular type

Well poo poo, I need to make more stone blocks….

Has anyone dialed in crafting yet? Like is it better to use as much upgraded everything to get a good roll or should I just make 500 of something and let rng do it’s thing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

This thread can be about the game now.

:hmmyes:

There’s an interesting discussion on this page about how to handle offsite issues on SA but please take it to QCS. It’s come up in other games too but it’s gonna get lost here and infinitely detail this thread.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kaysette posted:

:hmmyes:

There’s an interesting discussion on this page about how to handle offsite issues on SA but please take it to QCS. It’s come up in other games too but it’s gonna get lost here and infinitely detail this thread.

As much as I like this idea, I do feel that the normal QCS crowd are not beneficial to discussions.

and by that I mean people that hang out there that are not mods

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how are the wars going

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

how are the wars going

lol which ones? There are multiple in just this thread alone.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
How bad is the grind after early-game? Is it just farming and doing the same thing over and over?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Gnumonic posted:

So for some dumb reason I bought this game a few days ago, but have been too busy to actually try playing it until today. Character creation is locked everywhere anyone I know is playing, and it seems really doubtful they're going to allow transfers to high pop servers. Any plans to move any goon guilds to a lower pop server, or should I just refund while I can? Was interested in the pvp so it's probably not worth playing solo.

Sorry for interrupting the drama but I was wondering if there's an answer to this. Sitting at 1.9 hours played, would prefer not to donate 40bux to the world's richest man if I don't have anyone to play with.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DropTheAnvil posted:

How bad is the grind after early-game? Is it just farming and doing the same thing over and over?

Pretty much. There's at least always something to do, like grind materials/life skill/faction tokens that make the exp grind not as blatant. But the gameplay doesn't change a lot after your initial tutorials, it's still mostly faction/town quests after you complete the initial side stories, which are pretty much your intro faction/town quests to the region.

ASAPI posted:

Well poo poo, I need to make more stone blocks….

Has anyone dialed in crafting yet? Like is it better to use as much upgraded everything to get a good roll or should I just make 500 of something and let rng do it’s thing?

Not sure if you mean skilling up a profession or crafting a specific item. If you want to create specific items like bags or armor, it's best to level ahead of the initial requirements to get better stat rolls. If you mean skilling up, then use whatever materials you have an abundance of, like for skilling up engineering crafting bows is usually pretty good since it doesn't use metal, or if you are crafting cloth/leather armor, then craft whatever material you want to salvage more of, which is usually cloth. Metals have ridiculous requirements, Starmetal needs like 12 iron ore for each ingot, so iron is always needed

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

DropTheAnvil posted:

Pretty much. Crafting, leveling, etc are all pretty much gamed out and samey after the first 20 levels. It's an insane grind for even just level 100 in any of the crafting profs like weaponsmithing/armorsmithing/engineering. I got engineering up to 100 to make myself Starmetal tools and its.... uh, took a lot.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Gnumonic posted:

Sorry for interrupting the drama but I was wondering if there's an answer to this. Sitting at 1.9 hours played, would prefer not to donate 40bux to the world's richest man if I don't have anyone to play with.

at least for USEast goons most likely we'll be sticking to Royllo since we have 3 companies here already. really up to you on if you wanna wait for character creation to open back up but if you're really wanting to play with goons it could take a good while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I did the first dungeon today and while I enjoyed it for the most part the final boss feels a bit too much for something both required to do to progress the story, and doable by your average player. Didn't really like how you have to dodge all his attacks since blocking just leaves you with 0 stam and stunned on basically every hit.