Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

Homo Godborn are Swarmhive's capital-only sacred unit. I don't have exact numbers on the Domscore Tagichatn went for (He can answer that if he wants), but there's a hard number on how many you can produce that cannot be increased short of building huge numbers of temples - and even then you're still limited by the resources and recruit points in your cap circle. Losing capital-only sacreds hurts, especially when you lose this many.

To use a relevant example, the Dwalven Runic Guard was a cap-only sacred. (EA) Cassia's Imperial Retinue are as well, alongside I think a few flavours of jedi?

And yes, losing gods sucks. You have to use priests to call them back instead of doing priestly things, and most gods will permanently lose a level in their magic paths as a consequence of being resurrected.

Okay, this ups my estimation of the damage Swarmhive took from "painful" to "catastrophic." I mean, that's... what, 2800 gold worth of those guys, only recruitable slowly in a specific location, all dead with nothing to show for it? Plus however much he lost with all the other deaths there, which- considering the 9-10 mages (depending on if hive queens are casters) and the sheer number of troops he lost at the same time- is surely quite substantial on its own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, this ups my estimation of the damage Swarmhive took from "painful" to "catastrophic." I mean, that's... what, 2800 gold worth of those guys, only recruitable slowly in a specific location, all dead with nothing to show for it? Plus however much he lost with all the other deaths there, which- considering the 9-10 mages (depending on if hive queens are casters) and the sheer number of troops he lost at the same time- is surely quite substantial on its own?

Plus his god was anchoring the cast of Mother Oak that he spent a minimum of 50 nature gems to cast and was giving him 10 nature gems per turn so he lost that too. It was a real bad time.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LukasR23 posted:

[22:55] Ramc: told by whom 🤔
[22:55] Lukas: Y'know I'm not even gonna beat around the bush
Shambhala
[22:56] Lukas: If he's invading you this is no skin off his nose
[22:56] Lukas: if he isn't you know who to blame

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

If someone plans a combined invasion and then doesn't go through with it, I'm calling them out. It might make my assault easier if they divert forces to intercept, and it's more likely to cause an actual bloodbath than the other guy raiding while I get my rear end handed to me.

Also on a personal level this was fresh off my first game where I'd had literally exactly this happen to me, and resolved to take a more hardline stance on it. I'm not.. too proud of just openly selling him out in hindsight? But I reckon a lot of you are just here to laugh at my fuckups and it's funnier if you get to see all the stupid and/or petty things I do alongside all the actual attempts at being strategic.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LukasR23 posted:

If someone plans a combined invasion and then doesn't go through with it, I'm calling them out. It might make my assault easier if they divert forces to intercept, and it's more likely to cause an actual bloodbath than the other guy raiding while I get my rear end handed to me.

Once someone doesn't follow through they're fair game, more power to ya. I mean there is a very very large bee in play here. I just really commenting on the remarkable tonnage of balls it took to put that out there as part of the show. Check the filename, it will support my story.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

Once someone doesn't follow through they're fair game, more power to ya. I mean there is a very very large bee in play here. I just really commenting on the remarkable tonnage of balls it took to put that out there as part of the show. Check the filename, it will support my story.

people will freak out when a normal size bee gets in their personal space. this is a much larger bee

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Araganzar posted:

Check the filename, it will support my story.

checked the filename

can confirm

that's beautiful

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Your word is worth your weight in gold. If you are a goon Its after Gifts of Nature's Bounty

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Araganzar posted:

I'll be honest the filename is flying over my head. Is that a wrestling joke, or...?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LukasR23 posted:

I'll be honest the filename is flying over my head. Is that a wrestling joke, or...?

Yeah sorry, it is. I'll try to make the next one a Yeats reference.

edit: https://lastwordonsports.com/prowrestling/2019/06/07/ministry-of-darkness-20-years/ it's all quite Shakespearean really...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 4, 2021

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 32 - Flying Monkeys

This is the longest turn yet by far. Lot to cover.
First of all, J’s dying gift! Thank you for all this stuff, it’s very useful to me.

This is where we can see how the Dominions 5 turn order works. First there’s messages and research, then magic phase attacks!

This is from Ramc. It’s a remote attack spell, and a really weird one. I know it’s Ramc because he’s already used it on someone else and had that be commented on. It didn’t work in this case - I assume because the FCV ran over the commander. So I fired it up to watch, because that might be funny to see.

Their stats are laughable, but they deal 30 fatigue damage on hit if you fail a magic resistance check. Normally when the target gets 100 fatigue the monkeys kidnap them, but… in this case that didn’t happen.

They kept hitting, kept fatiguing, and failed most of the time - losing one of their number early on. Frankly with how long this has gone on he should have way more fatigue - 50 rounds at least. Poking into the unit overview (although really, I should have figured this out from unit stats alone)…

Bingo. Penetration roll 11+DRN against 16+DRN. 16. That’s... a pretty high level of magic resistance, and I hadn’t noticed it at all on the FCV. They can hit all day every day, they do no damage and they can’t even fatigue her half the time.

Anyway this battle lasted an age, and you’re not getting shots because it’s very boring. Eventually the monkeys fled because they literally couldn’t kill the FCV, and the dominions trigger for a battle going too long is “Both sides retreat”, followed by killing everything if that fails.

This lead to some.. Concerning revelations about winged monkeys in the discord chat.
1: Winged Monkeys can only carry off units size 3 or smaller.
2: Priest levels do not count as mage levels.

These two things add up to one very obnoxious spell if I’m not careful. If it succeeds you’re transported to the caster’s province and fight the forces there.. He could just steal and soul slay Fio, Eri, Etcetera. But that’s for future turns. Right now I’ve got more battles.

Like this one! This is another remote attack, and it’s full of wolves. They kill the one point of PD with no trouble, and I’ll just clean it up with an FCV. No big deal.

Future Lukas commentary: Ramc seems to really like remote attacks. It seems like a good habit to get into, and something I've been trying to get into doing more in other games.

Not pictured - 30-odd rounds of biting as they tried and failed to harm the FCV. Haha.
And finally… ugh.

Looks like the horror marks are finally starting to bite me properly.

That’s a lot of good equipment lost.

They're decently chunky, and while I'd always assumed most horrors come with horror mark attacks these don't?

Eri slaughters four before being brought down. So at least I know the weapon works pretty well!

Hero Unit Death Count: 10

I just need to make another one. Uggghhh. The crown’s also a notable loss, but frankly? I don’t need it any more.
Only infiltration that matters on the event list was Ramc!Cassia, and it succeded. Now onto the normal battles!

Hooray. But also.. Ten deaths. I wonder how they did that…?

Right. Fortresses mean national PD. Also that’s a typo in there!
If these guys die they’ll come back as a bee, and I bet that’s where all the losses come from.

Also there’s an astral mage way in the back. He casts horror mark twice (once on marco and once on fio) then..

Yeah.
Also the metal slugs targeting continues to be very.. Assholish.

Right in the gunline, why don’t you.

Fio ends up in a hilariously bad situation, but somehow lives. True to form from the games!
My own army ends up half routing from the self-induced losses, but the bees run faster. Probably because they can fly out.

Hooray!

As arranged with JonJoe. But it looks like Ramc planned on taking it too?

That’s.. Literally a h1 priest. Must have remote attacked first.
Either way, it got shot to pieces.

Literally just the two commandos ravaging some PD, but I made a mistake and paid the price.
Ami is way further back, and.. Uh..

Oops.
This then gave her an affliction too! Uggghh.

Oh well. Could be worse.

Wasps have taken Lemnos’s cap.
Demonic Buzzing Intensifies

Not really surprised by this, he went AI so presumably the capital will fall in short order. Buzz buzz buzz.

Obnoxious. Actually spawned another battle on my cap, but they all got shot so I don’t care.
For some reason I only got two carrots from my arms dealers.. Maybe something to do with this event?
The other two were just -dominion in stupid places. Don’t care.

Oh, and this guy got spotted. That’s a lot of PD, and I think I will be putting up storm when it comes to take the cap. Sure, it’ll cut my damage in half. But it’ll also stop him from shooting me and keep the bees out of my backline.

Seems like the fort up here was empty(?). Gonna storm it immediately before he can bail them out somehow, but I expect to get horror marked for it. But that doesn’t matter. None of my units right now matter.

Because we’re at construction 8.

It’s time.

I’ve been informed it keeps working even after being dispelled, so.. We’ll see.

Future Lukas Note: I feel weird just posting the gem totals of globals I'm putting up. Doesn't matter for this one at least!

Research is being shifted a bit so I can get some useful evocations and flaming arrows. After that I’ll resume going after sea of ice.

But before I plan out attacks, Ami is being re-scripted to be less homicidal.

I’ve moved her forward a bit, so she’s not right in the back and hitting all her friends.

This is a bit complicated, but I’ll do my best to break it down.

I’m moving one FCV from dearag to retake the territory I lost, and moving another to his only real option so that if the werewolves attack that they’ll die too for sure.

Future Lukas question:Do those werewolves even stick around? I can't remember how this spell works.

While the main force of defence soldiers moves down to just get even more units on the Cassia front.

Marco, Tarma and Fio are storming Andoria with their metal slugs.
Perche and Tarma are moving with a whole bunch of other stuff to take Wark Enum, and being joined by Rumi, who will be giving Ami a goddamn helmet so her head doesn’t get shot off by all these archers.

And finally down here, Hi Ramc, You’re on the Internet is falling back to be replaced by my storm caster, help my water broke, and two FCVs full of soldiers. I fully expect a counterattack here, and forcing a fight is in my favour frankly. The storm caster is still not hiding, so I get to see if that works or not here.

Oh, and I’m still financing the New Republic in their fight against the bee menace. I actually upped this to 23 gems later on.

-LAST MINUTE LATE-NIGHT UPDATE-
After some interesting messages from Melodiana, I’ve kept Growl in Oiyur to make the fort and moved Rumi instead. He seems to think I’m invading Vepiksa? We came to an agreement, and it ended profitably.

Future Lukas: Heh. At the time I wrote this I wanted to be cagey, but.. The messages make this way funnier. Some part of me feels bad about this - I was quite the bastard with diplomacy at this point in the game.

Lukas — 27/06/2021
Do you have earth gems
I'm willing to 1:1 trade for em, up to 30 D

Johnny THCeed — 27/06/2021
30 E for 30 D sounds good to me

Lukas — 27/06/2021
In which case I'll send them now

also, are you planning on moving onto Vespika's fort in 119 this turn?

Lukas — 27/06/2021
No.
I've been dealing with remote attacks and the like so I've had to stall out my invasion a bit
and Cassia has been throwing werewolves at me too on that border.. somehow
kinda impressed by his magic range

Okay. In that case I'm moving onto it this turn.

--

I figured they'd been actually fighting at the time and didn't want to tell him I'd just purchased the provinces, but.. yeah. Pretending I got those provinces via invasion definitely started a war. Hahaha.

Next time:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man we're approaching my favourite parts of the LP.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Love to see some flying monkeys. Such precious little things.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

LukasR23 posted:

It’s time.

:sickos:

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Every fort. People have seen glimpses of what I can pull with this nation in the discord, but now I get to showcase it properly.

Song of the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OiJYmZC0Lk

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

LukasR23 posted:

It’s time.

The answer is probably "No, it's just like that because Dominion spagetti code" but if the spell can only be cast in the World Government Cap, and the Cap can only generate on dry land... is there way to make the province count as under water during the magic phase?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Ardeem posted:

The answer is probably "No, it's just like that because Dominion spagetti code" but if the spell can only be cast in the World Government Cap, and the Cap can only generate on dry land... is there way to make the province count as under water during the magic phase?

There aren't any spells to water or underwater provinces, no. This is a map limitation more then anything else: the map image can't be dynamically changed to accommodate new terrain even with the default map generator, let alone with a custom map where all the water provinces are salad or piss or something.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The piss map is real.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LukasR23 posted:

Wait what is that a bug? That seems even nastier than being unable to be dispelled as you get to soak whoever dispels it for the gems they spend and then everyone thinks it's gone...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing it just dumps a bunch of sites and summons all over the place rather than behaving like a real global. Then it "forgets" to remove them later because the world military demands to retain its bases and the arm dealers are lobbying for more sales opportinities.

e - I suppose if the troops who have been available all game are meant to be the big benefit of the spell, then it being up or down would control your access to them rather than bothering with the little stuff.

e2 - Because who cares about the forts you have now when you're about to declare hostilities and claim a whole bunch more.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 5, 2021

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Araganzar posted:

Wait what is that a bug? That seems even nastier than being unable to be dispelled as you get to soak whoever dispels it for the gems they spend and then everyone thinks it's gone...

You just wait lol, not to spoil anything...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

It’s time.

Future Lukas Note: I feel weird just posting the gem totals of globals I'm putting up. Doesn't matter for this one at least!

Next time:

Does this mean your military is gonna grow to the point that other players will need to put together a coalition to deal with you?

Also, preemptive congrats on finally getting access to some magic.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
Look I just want to say in advance that things have changed massively since this was started, and this spell might even be removed on dispelling now (Haven't tested properly because life is hell but no worries)..... What kind of mod game would it be without it though?

Also I think of the soundtrack as more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsXJUkS5zY&t=10s. Extended version, no off switch lets go

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The reason I moved that envoy to take Misty Bog back was because I had Bribed Oceania to back off, giving them 50 N gems, an N booster thistle mace and the information that the ants just lost their god and MOAK in a spectacular smashup.

If this sounds like I am throwing one of my allies in the war against the Jedi under the bus at their moment of weakness now that they have done what i need well look actually what is going on is

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

BaronOhShi posted:

Look I just want to say in advance that things have changed massively since this was started, and this spell might even be removed on dispelling now (Haven't tested properly because life is hell but no worries)..... What kind of mod game would it be without it though?

Also I think of the soundtrack as more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsXJUkS5zY&t=10s. Extended version, no off switch lets go

So fun fact Advance Wars actually has ties to older games. For example Sensei is Yamamoto is Famicom Wars.

Colin actually has an ancestor in another Super Nintendo Game. In fact there is a website devoted to that ancestor. You can easily see the family resemblance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

The reason I moved that envoy to take Misty Bog back was because I had Bribed Oceania to back off, giving them 50 N gems, an N booster thistle mace and the information that the ants just lost their god and MOAK in a spectacular smashup.

If this sounds like I am throwing one of my allies in the war against the Jedi under the bus at their moment of weakness now that they have done what i need well look actually what is going on is

I will note I knew both you and lukas would be moving into the province; just because you bribed me to back off didn't mean I didn't want you to die.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Ramc posted:

This is funny to me because the plan was always for that province to immediately go to me.

I think literally everyone was backstabbing everyone else in this war, and that just makes it funnier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LukasR23 posted:

Next time:

... Is that a... mage????

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

... Is that a... mage????

I don't know but it must be terrifying it has 50% more hit points than the wasp god.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Well. I've got nothing better to do today at work and I have a half-written interlude, so it's time to break down the global I just cast!

Bonus Post - Declaring Hostilities Breakdown

Disclaimer: I'm not great at event modding, so not all of this will be accurate. This is also being written from thirty-odd turns ahead, so expect some of this to be retreaded in turn posts or possibly contradicted when past me was being dumb.

code:
#newspell 1300
#name "Declare Hostilities"
#descr "The situation has progressed beyond the tipping point, the World Government can no longer contain the situation with stealth, diplomacy and commandos alone. Commanders will be authorised to mobilise and gems will be gathered, each fort will generate a Regular Army Commander and each fort with a lab will generate a Drill Instructor, additionally, 2d4 gems of Fire, Earth, Nature and Astral will be created each month."
#school 3
#researchlevel 8
#path 0 3
#pathlevel 0 5
#path 1 0
#pathlevel 1 5
#fatiguecost 4000
#onlyatsite "World Government HQ"
#restricted 144
#onlymnr "Command HQ"
#effect 10081
#damage 215
#end
(Note - I'm using the atrocitwee.dm for this, so IDs will not match up perfectly).

Minor trivia things - Fatigue cost also calculates gem cost for spells (100 fatigue = 1 gem) and effect 10081 is the ritual version of "Enchant battlefield/world". Damage 215 means that global enchantment "215" is now online for events to check against.

code:
#newevent
#rarity 5
#req_ench 215
#msg "War tagged"
#nation -2
#notext
#nolog
#code -306
#end
I.. think this is what kicks everything off. It sets an event code and tags that I've declared hostilities war. Most notable is that there's no event set to turn this OFF. Once it hits, there's no turning back. I'm comitted until the end of the game.

code:
#newevent
#newevent
#rarity 13
#req_ench 215
#req_fornation 144
#req_targowner 144
#msg "Give Gems"
#nation -2
#2d4vis 0
#2d4vis 3
#2d4vis 4
#2d4vis 6
#notext
#end
#end
And this is.. honestly why I wanted to go over the code backing for declare hostilties. Because the first thing that happened when turn 33 hit was a fantastic bug and the original source of this interlude. For reference, the above code is not the fixed version. We had to patch this mid-game. Twice.

[00:22] Lukas: but yeah I've somehow ended up with one hundred earth gems and I can only assume this is a bug
[00:22] Lukas: full disclosure to you all
[00:22] Lukas: I don't know what's going on

[00:32] Arccatsi: wait I think I know what's going on
[00:32] Arccatsi: rarity 13 is always immediate global, right
[00:33] Arccatsi: so it triggers once for each nation in the game
[00:33] new atheist taint: ...lol
[00:33] Arccatsi: but the owner of the event is always metal slug, so you get 12 nations worth of gems

#Rarity sets how often an event occurs. 13 is "Always immediate global", and triggers once per nation. Normally this would just mean everyone got 2d4 gems, but the event is forcefully retargeted towards me. Which means that everyone gets to give 2d4 gems to me.

[01:13] BaronOhShi: Most of my testing games ended in "ah I need to change this, lemme do that and start again" and yeah, mainly just 1v1s
[01:13] BaronOhShi: god loving drat it illwinter why do you do this to me
[01:14] BaronOhShi: also god drat it me
[01:21] Ramcnstein: good news it isnt like this will be showcased on the world LP stage an- hand to earpiece ah

The fixed version uses #rarity 0 instead, which is "Always" with the disctinction that only one rarity 0 event can occur in a province each turn.

..Ah. That explains why my arms dealers don't always give an item, I guess.

Anyway this came with an odd quirk that it'd also give gems per fort, but it was truly fixed by sticking a few additional restrictions on top.

code:
#newevent
#rarity 0
#req_ench 215
#req_owncapital 1
#req_fornation 144
#req_targowner 144
Now it only goes on in my own capital. No matter how many people it triggers for. #req_ench is important to note because it makes it obvious that BaronOhShi was aware of the proper coding. The free gems turn off when the global does, which is how these spells are meant to work. The problem is.. nothing else does.

code:
#newevent
#rarity 5
#req_code -306
#req_fornation 144
#req_targowner 144
#req_fort 1
#req_land 1
#msg "Spawn Commander"
#nation -2
#notext
#com "Regular Army Commander"
#end
Note the lack of #req-ench. This will go forever. Or at least until I get wiped out. Regular Army Commanders will spawn in every land fort I own, with no restrictions. Any fort. This includes forts currently under siege, and forts I am sieging. The same also applies to Drill Instructors, who have the same code except with a lab requirement on top. A lab I own, technically.

For most of you this is probably just a wall of numbers. Everyone else is probably deeply concerned at the numbers on display. These guys are pretty good! They're also.. uh...
code:
#magicskill 0 1
#magicskill 3 1
#magicboost 0 -1
#magicboost 3 -1
They're mages with negative paths. Empowering a Regular Army Commander in fire or earth only costs 30 gems. Not that I'd ever do that for obvious reasons, but the "Technically mages" distinction has some interesting interactions with spells. Like winged monkeys! I don't know why BaronOhShi did this, and at this point I don't think he does either. They were also originally intended to spawn the Regular Army Soldiers that I've been spawning this entire time, but that little bit of code got lost somewhere. And that's.. probably for the best. I don't want to think about how strong that level of scaling would be.

Even without this addition the Commanders are a fantastic addition to my army. They can lead troops without homesick issues, have enough leadership to do things that aren't shamecubes, and that Satellite weapon is a 'Bonus' weapon that doesn't get unequipped if I put normal gear on him. A bonus weapon that does 14(+DRN) armour negating damage in an AoE, ignoring arrow fend.

The Drill Instructors are also incredibly good. F1S1E1N1 at base, making them communion-capable in four different paths. Every mage gets a free point in one of those four paths, allowing for some great mass battlemagic even before you get into communions. I might not use them to their full potential, but there's definitely going to be fireworks. Lots and lots and lots of fireworks. They can't defend themselves in melee, but that's not a huge deal when compared to everything else.

And I get one of each per fort (and lab) every single turn. I've been torn between explaining how strong these are and waiting for the thread to do the math, and frankly once the theorycrafters and people good at the game take a look they'll probably come up with better strategies than the ones I've (past tense) unleashed.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
Going to quickly get in and defend myself a little and hopefully be a little informative too.

As mentioned a while back, there was some errors and bugs with the design of the spells and such in this mod, and particularly for this nation, in part because I went back and added things after I hadn't been modding for a while and there was that file mixup... Just a bit of a mess. Originally the Regular Army did Not have any national spells or endgame. They were just expected to do metal slug and commando shenanigans until they were crushed. The original design idea I was working from was to create a nation that Only used hero-type units, but as you may have guessed, that is pretty tricky to do in a game like dominions and allowances had to be made. (In particular there's a limit as to how strong any given unit can really be without just maxing out HP and magic resistance, and allowing the video game characters to tank hits doesn't seem in the spirit of MS to me...)

Anyway, the first allowance was the generic Commandos, the Trucks and the Soldiers as well as making the metal slugs recruit-able rather than upgrades. Once I got word that someone was actually playing the mod and this nation I was shocked, and immediately set out to help the poor soul by adding an endgame, namely Declare Hostilities. In a way its meant to be pretty powerful, as any dominions player will tell you, Freespawn is good. Freespawn MAGES? Really Dang Good. Dominions is a pretty wizard-heavy game and to ensure that the player could catch up the Drill Instructors have a lot (at this point) of different magic paths and are pretty easy to spawn for what they are. By the point in the game where the spell is likely to go off, other players will probably be in the triple digits with their mages while the regular army player will have about 3.

The reason commanders have hidden magic paths is a safety net by the way. Anyone with magic paths even without levels in them can build a lab, I already had "priests" in the form of commandos to build temples so I wanted an equivalent so that the nation could actually use the essential game mechanics. (I believe the priests with hidden magic paths dont work, so they just get open ones). After I made them part of Declare Hostilities I just decided to keep it because hey why not.

I was going to list out all the changes I made to the spell since this game was started but as I was typing this I just realised that my up-to-date mod file was on my hard drive that was wiped a few days ago when my entire computer failed so uh... I don't know how far back my backup is. I was updating in response to the ongoing game which is weeks long.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

For most of you this is probably just a wall of numbers. Everyone else is probably deeply concerned at the numbers on display. These guys are pretty good! They're also.. uh...
code:
#magicskill 0 1
#magicskill 3 1
#magicboost 0 -1
#magicboost 3 -1
They're mages with negative paths. Empowering a Regular Army Commander in fire or earth only costs 30 gems. Not that I'd ever do that for obvious reasons, but the "Technically mages" distinction has some interesting interactions with spells. Like winged monkeys! I don't know why BaronOhShi did this, and at this point I don't think he does either. They were also originally intended to spawn the Regular Army Soldiers that I've been spawning this entire time, but that little bit of code got lost somewhere. And that's.. probably for the best. I don't want to think about how strong that level of scaling would be.

Even without this addition the Commanders are a fantastic addition to my army. They can lead troops without homesick issues, have enough leadership to do things that aren't shamecubes, and that Satellite weapon is a 'Bonus' weapon that doesn't get unequipped if I put normal gear on him. A bonus weapon that does 14(+DRN) armour negating damage in an AoE, ignoring arrow fend.

The Drill Instructors are also incredibly good. F1S1E1N1 at base, making them communion-capable in four different paths. Every mage gets a free point in one of those four paths, allowing for some great mass battlemagic even before you get into communions. I might not use them to their full potential, but there's definitely going to be fireworks. Lots and lots and lots of fireworks. They can't defend themselves in melee, but that's not a huge deal when compared to everything else.

And I get one of each per fort (and lab) every single turn. I've been torn between explaining how strong these are and waiting for the thread to do the math, and frankly once the theorycrafters and people good at the game take a look they'll probably come up with better strategies than the ones I've (past tense) unleashed.

Another potentially-scary thing about the Commander's ranged weapon is the fact that it's got ludicrous range. I don't remember how big you said battlefields were, but I'm willing to bet that those things can theoretically hit anything anywhere, which is probably a less-than-common property.

I... kinda feel like the "negative paths" and "technically a mage" things were at least partially done to make it cheaper to empower them in the faction paths, with not a single thought given to how they'd interact with anything else.

But anyway, not only do you get magic now, but you also get commanders that don't spontaneously drop dead if they don't camp? That's gotta be a hell of a boost to your military power, especially since nobody can do anything about it except try to wipe you out before you hit critical mass.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

I... kinda feel like the "negative paths" and "technically a mage" things were at least partially done to make it cheaper to empower them in the faction paths, with not a single thought given to how they'd interact with anything else.

Rude. Also if any mod maker fears how their mod will interact with the spell "Winged Monkeys" I am going to be very worried about them.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BaronOhShi posted:

Rude. Also if any mod maker fears how their mod will interact with the spell "Winged Monkeys" I am going to be very worried about them.

I had major headaches over Sovirus's concrete bunker commander and seduction

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Guaranteed freespawn mages and commanders at every fort every turn is much more generous than I was expecting.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

Another potentially-scary thing about the Commander's ranged weapon is the fact that it's got ludicrous range. I don't remember how big you said battlefields were, but I'm willing to bet that those things can theoretically hit anything anywhere, which is probably a less-than-common property.

But anyway, not only do you get magic now, but you also get commanders that don't spontaneously drop dead if they don't camp? That's gotta be a hell of a boost to your military power, especially since nobody can do anything about it except try to wipe you out before you hit critical mass.

Dead on with the first one!
I dont' remember exactly how wide maps are, but 99 range is functionally infinite. More on the implications of that once I start sending them into fights.

BaronOhShi covered the second one pretty well just above you, and as for the third.. they absolutely can even if it's a hell of a boost. Taking forts cuts off my valve of units, and (as an example) spite-destroying labs before I storm a fort would stop me from getting mages out of the newly captured fort. And those mages.. ooh, those mages. Baron has changed the global fairly significantly since this game was started, and it's in a much saner spot than it is here. But I still get to unleash it at maximum 'Fun' levels, and this LP wouldn't be the same without it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I am, in a way, pleased that the global provides such HUGE STACKS of units, as this tangentially also provides HUGE FUN later on.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

Enjoy posted:

I had major headaches over Sovirus's concrete bunker commander and seduction

Sometimes people want to seduce the danger gazebos and thats okay

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So what I want to know is how well do the other players know the mod? Is anyone really aware of the power / brokenness of the spell?

Like when this global goes up are the other players going to be all like :kingsley: and :blastu: or are they just going to think "Well he gets a few commanders and it's a gemgen whatEVER :banjo:" while the mages pile up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Araganzar posted:

So what I want to know is how well do the other players know the mod? Is anyone really aware of the power / brokenness of the spell?

Like when this global goes up are the other players going to be all like :kingsley: and :blastu: or are they just going to think "Well he gets a few commanders and it's a gemgen whatEVER :banjo:" while the mages pile up...

Since he notified everyone the thing broke in Ruby Discord they may have an inkling.