Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you confused us with Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I really like Dice Throne and Marvel Champions and have both. But Dice Throne: Marvel is more Marvel than I want in my collection.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Guess I am checking out Dice Throne now

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Also I know there are some Dice Throne nerds ITT

https://twitter.com/DiceThrone/status/1445056141336137737

Dice Throne x Marvel

My friend Zach’s wallet cries in agony over all these Marvel games. Lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

It was more a joke about the crowd here than my taste lol.

Dice Throne is a fine if unbalanced system but marvel is a good fit for it. Not too unlike Star Wars Destiny from FFG.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't like thing

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I don't like thing

gently caress you

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Castles of Burgundy and Royal Visit turned up today, and now I am having a very real problem of ~Where the gently caress am I going to put everything~

(Bottom 2 right slots are empty boxes, stuff I'm getting rid of)

Radlands, Unfathomable, Great Western Trail, and Merchants of the Dark Road all allegedly rocking up this month :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

LOL really? That explains why it tended to not buy VP until I started, and the only times I've beaten it are when I completely curbstomped it

There are two clients out right now, there's Dominion dot games, a website, and Dominion, some kinda app they sell on Steam and probably other places. The latter does use a neutral network AI (or so they claim). The former (whose AIs are called Lord Rattington and Attack Witch etc) uses really basic strategies and gets confused by trashing cards and ends up with no cards in it's deck.
I believe that's still true, I've taken my eye off the Dominion ball as of late.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This was https://dominion.games/ and it was pretty much like beating my head against a wall. It's also called Lord Rattington, and I think the AI only did something similar once in 50+ games where it just drew it's entire deck every turn, but otherwise it wouldn't do stuff like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In that case it sounds like you just need to buy silver more often.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

Also I know there are some Dice Throne nerds ITT

https://twitter.com/DiceThrone/status/1445056141336137737

Dice Throne x Marvel

Ugh. Good business sense, I suppose, but very much not what I want or need from Dice Throne.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hilarious to see anything Marvel tied to kickstarter too

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Castles of Burgundy and Royal Visit turned up today, and now I am having a very real problem of ~Where the gently caress am I going to put everything~

Burgundy can go directly into the trash where it belongs with all Feld games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fate Accomplice posted:

Burgundy can go directly into the trash where it belongs with all Feld games.

Burgundy can go in the trash, but Trajan is good. I enjoyed Carpe Diem and Bonfire as well, although not enough to buy them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jedit posted:

Burgundy can go in the trash, but Trajan is good. I enjoyed Carpe Diem and Bonfire as well, although not enough to buy them.

Going through the Essen release list, I was struck by a similar thought - these look like interesting games but I don't need to own them. There's lots of games that have 1 to 3 decent plays in them and after that it's diminishing returns. There's even a few widely reviled games that I've had a great time playing once. A useful antidote to the plague of boardgame "collectors" who just seem to enjoy piling boxes on shelves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I always thought that Trajan looks fun but I don't know anyone who would ever play it with the way that action selection works

Maybe my friends lack the brain wrinkles to be pro board gamers but we enjoy Castles of Burgundy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I always thought that Trajan looks fun but I don't know anyone who would ever play it with the way that action selection works

If you aren't too worried about losing the benefits from Trajan tiles you can ignore the hardest part of the mancala mini-game, which is placing markers by colour. That just leaves the smaller consideration of which actions will be available next turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This was https://dominion.games/ and it was pretty much like beating my head against a wall. It's also called Lord Rattington, and I think the AI only did something similar once in 50+ games where it just drew it's entire deck every turn, but otherwise it wouldn't do stuff like that.

Lord Rat is running a pretty simple strategy called Big Money Plus. Big Money is buying Silvers until you can buy Golds, buying Golds until you can buy Provinces, buying Provinces until the game ends. The Plus adds a moderate amount of draw, a little trashing, and a little attack. It's a simple plan, but it beats no plan or a bad plan. I haven't seen you play but the best advice I can give is

Jabor posted:

In that case it sounds like you just need to buy silver more often.

I forget what traps Lord Rat into trashing everything. I don't think he can handle Apprentice from the Alchemy expansion, or Donate from Prosperity. But there are some pretty big holes in his thinking that you don't need elaborate set ups to run into.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nonathlon posted:

Going through the Essen release list

Tangentially, I've been doing that too and I don't know if it's because I've decided not to go in the interest of safety, or if it's because it's an understandably bad year for games, but there's literally nothing on there that excites me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trajan is fantastic, it's as pure a tempo game as Feld could make I think.

In the year of the dragon is widely considered one of his greatest as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Tangentially, I've been doing that too and I don't know if it's because I've decided not to go in the interest of safety, or if it's because it's an understandably bad year for games, but there's literally nothing on there that excites me.

It's a small year, as well. I'd normally go with roughly 100 points of interest, of which only a third I'd give more than a cursory glance and a third of those I might buy. This year, if I were going, I would have started with at most 40 points of interest and maybe bought three or four.

That said, there's not nothing on display. Cosmodrome have a good slate including a spinoff from Smartphone Inc and Astrum from Ivan Tuzovsky, and Eilif "The Magnificent" Svensson's Riverside is out as well.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, for me it will only be Ark Nova, Messina 1347, Concordia Solo and maybe the Keyper expansion Keyper at Sea (if Richard has some copies)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A remarkable thing about In The Year of the Dragon is how it was designed before Feld realized that gaining points is more fun than losing points. It is a game that you are constantly disappointing and earning penalties for like, letting your citizens starve or w/e (been a while since I've played it). Good game though!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm the perfect sucker for Marvel Dice Throne. I'm a huge fan of both and - critically - one of my kids is a big Marvel fan and the other is my standard Dice Throne opponent. It's just a good fit, you know?

Going back to playtest chat - I still really, really want to play Frosthaven once it comes out. Yeah I'm spoiled on the surprises, but it's a giant game with tons of narrative and actually putting it all together for a campaign still sounds amazing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I love playing almost any board game once. After that, eh. But I love learning new mechanics, playing with little fiddly bits for the first time, that kind of stuff. Board game cafes are great for this, as well as online implementations (though to a far lesser extent).

Speaking of Feld, I think the only game of his I own is Aquasphere, which I got for like 60% off at a con and make a snazzy organizer for. I think it's one of the few of his games that I enjoy pulling out whenever I get the chance.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lord Rat is running a pretty simple strategy called Big Money Plus. Big Money is buying Silvers until you can buy Golds, buying Golds until you can buy Provinces, buying Provinces until the game ends. The Plus adds a moderate amount of draw, a little trashing, and a little attack. It's a simple plan, but it beats no plan or a bad plan. I haven't seen you play but the best advice I can give is

I forget what traps Lord Rat into trashing everything. I don't think he can handle Apprentice from the Alchemy expansion, or Donate from Prosperity. But there are some pretty big holes in his thinking that you don't need elaborate set ups to run into.

The other thing I noticed was that the AI would copy me, as soon as I tried to discard my 1 value items it would do the same. The real estate on a five card draw is too expensive to leave a one point card over a 6 point

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe my friends lack the brain wrinkles to be pro board gamers but we enjoy Castles of Burgundy

Same, what problems do people have with it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Same, what problems do people have with it?

Fudge tokens don't alter the fact that your actions are circumscribed by randomness. They just mean that the winner will be the person who needed the fewest fudge tokens.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

gschmidl posted:

A bit of everything, I think. It's a thin year - isn't there normally more than 1000 releases? Due to Kickstarter and various others cons, games are now released year-round and not centered on Essen. And who can tell from those hopelessly generic descriptions. I'm sure there's interesting games in there, but will have to stumble across them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Castles of Burgundy was one of those games that I heard people swear it's their favourite of all time and just look at the BGG list of best games ever... so when I picked it up and got it on the table and played it 2p, we both finished it and looked at each other like, did we miss something? Did we just not get it? I haven't played it in years because of how badly we bounced off it and I'd be more than happy to try it again but between lackluster gameplay, boring theme, and fairly lovely production values I am fine with playing any of the other games we like a lot more.

Still haven't played Trajan, no one has it that I know, which is weird.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

burgundy is an all-timer for lovely art and visual design for sure, idk if i just have bad colour perception but i find it super hard to distinguish between some of the categories

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jedit posted:

Fudge tokens don't alter the fact that your actions are circumscribed by randomness. They just mean that the winner will be the person who needed the fewest fudge tokens.

If you're a "the best player should always win" type then sure it's not a good game, but it's fun trying to play in a way which avoids the possibility to get turbo hosed by bad rolls. It even comes with the ability to build in a handicap by choosing one of the poo poo player boards!

I generally enjoy my euro games with a dose of randomness and it fits that niche perfectly.

jesus WEP posted:

burgundy is an all-timer for lovely art and visual design for sure, idk if i just have bad colour perception but i find it super hard to distinguish between some of the categories

Ironically they did a big box type thing and totally redid the colours and made them somehow worse (more garish while still not being very distinct)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

i like how there are 10+ tiles with distinct rules and then another tile that itself has 10+ variations with distinct rules.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm still perfectly okay playing CoB, but I'm also perfectly okay playing all sorts of random euros.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

I'm still perfectly okay playing CoB, but I'm also perfectly okay playing all sorts of random euros.

This :)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I enjoy CoB. More so than Trajan because I can't wrap my head around the mandala*.

I played Small Terraforming Mars, and it boils off a lot of the stuff I don't like about TM. For one, it's a good deal shorter, they've removed a lot of the things that add rules overhead but not much gameplay, and it's a much more focused game. It's still focused on a point I don't particularly care for though. They shower you w/ engine components and enough resources to build your chosen engine without much sweat. It's just a fairly lonely way to spend an hour, running your engine in isolation and eventually you'll see whose turned out to be the best.
*Is that the right name for it? The bowl thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

*Is that the right name for it? The bowl thing.

Mancala

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I grabbed CoB as we played a bunch of it via TTS and my group likes it. I got the big box version with all the extra crap and updated artwork.

I'm starting to get very picky about what I rear end to my collection, and I think CoB warrants an inclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
My issue with Castles of Burgundy are basically that shipping is tacked on and that it could easily be explained except the 20 different tech tokens that throw players for a loop. The dice and tile placement are nice.