Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I just had a chicken & avocado sandwich (reduced as near closing time.) Am I now a woke millenial instead of a boomer?

What a page snipe. 18. We all know what that means. Yes, time for Anthrax... 'm metal thrashing maaaddd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYMx45S29Uw

(PS I do know this is a cover of Alice Cooper)

I saw Anthrax do this live at the 3rd loudest ever gig (at the time) at Hammersmith Odeon back in the day. (With Metal Church and Crimson Glory).

Ed Oh well, the set listing for that gig 15th Feb 1987 doesn't show them playing that one, I'm sure they did, but maybe I've mixed it up with another time I saw them. God I was 26 then, look at me now, old as the hills.

Ed2 now I'm proper sad because my Facebook friends cannot see the benefits of my full on anthrax retrospective now ongoing chez moi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ta5ahB-6w

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been having a look at the cropped boomer images account in memoriam of facebook.

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1374665807494529029

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYMx45S29Uw

(PS I do know this is a cover of Alice Cooper)

Song is forever ruined for me by this Freaks and Geeks scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN8z5i9w6U

Great related twist at the end of that episode too. What a show

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Shant Grapps

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Song is forever ruined for me by this Freaks and Geeks scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN8z5i9w6U

Great related twist at the end of that episode too. What a show

Never seen that. Reminds me of school when the 'trendy' teachers would break out their guitars and make us all sing kumbaya or something.

At my home gig I've branched into Megadeth right now.

My sister phoned to see if I could get on facebook/messenger/whatsapp - she lives 24/7 on them. Surprised she remembered how to phone.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 4, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It looks like all the devices infected with apps that hook into facebook and harvest data are now effectively ddossing the internet as they repeatedly bombard the servers trying to connect to home base.

Yer grans candy crush game is bringing down the world.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

It looks like all the devices infected with apps that hook into facebook and harvest data are now effectively ddossing the internet as they repeatedly bombard the servers trying to connect to home base.

Why would any terrorist bother with a bomb or a plane when this is how to do it? (And why I keep £100 cash at home plus a quantity of $US)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sonLd-32ns4

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

serious gaylord posted:

Incredible

Do you have a source on this? Not that I think you're lying but I'd love to show some people lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if they'd stay down it would save the world

but they're not going to

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wonder if there's any truth to this?

https://hothardware.com/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-down-globally

quote:

By Brandon Hill — Monday, October 04, 2021, 02:05 PM EDT
Update: Facebook, Instagram And WhatsApp Go Down Hard In Possible Whistleblower DDoS Backlash

Support Independent Tech Journalism, Become A Patron!
facebook zuck
If you’re a frequent user of Facebook services, you’re probably having some withdrawal pains now. It’s widely reported worldwide that Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram are down at the moment. Besides the avalanche of panicking users reporting their problems on Twitter, we can confirm that the Facebook website is entirely inaccessible, and the DNS is not resolving. In addition, the mobile app is non-functional. The same is true for web and mobile versions of Instagram. A quick trip to Downdetector shows that the first reports starting coming in at around 11:20 am ET.
Earlier this morning, we reported on a damning 60 Minutes interview with Frances Haugen, who served as a data scientist and former product manager for Facebook. Haugen resigned after becoming disillusioned with the company’s policies which she felt did more to harm its users than promote a healthy social networking environment.

Although Facebook hasn’t commented on the outages yet, it’s rather curious timing that this outage is coming so soon after the 60 Minutes piece. Rumors allege that the outages are the result of a DDoS attack in response to Haugen’s explosive claims, which are backed by a lengthy paper trail.

What's even more interesting is that it seems to be a DNS (Domain Name System) server/host level attack that has taken out all of Facebook internet properties, apps and services, all of which can't actually resolve when their names are typed in a browser or apps are loaded.

Facebook, however, has provided this official response so far:

facebook statement

Updated 10/4/2021 @ 2:05 pm ET

An anonymous employee source at Facebook tells us that the outage is not just affecting end users trying to access its properties and apps, it's hampering internal work systems at the company too. "It also took down Workplace, which is what we use for all of [our] internal communications," said the source. "So everybody's cut off from work right now, too.... even our VPNs are reporting they can't find the server."

We should also note that other Facebook properties like Oculus.com are also still down.

Just think of all the naughty things people can get up to while all these fb etc are down. Rockwell needs to redo 'somebody's NOT watching me'.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Incredible

Do you have a source on this? Not that I think you're lying but I'd love to show some people lmao

https://twitter.com/Father_Wendigo/status/1445123471206494208

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What about all those websites that link in to facebook trackers too? If I can think of one I'll try it. Will they spin for ever unable to connect?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
looks like y2k was real just got the date wrong

Its a good job this site doesnt have any modern technology on it

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I say bring back yahoo chat rooms

a/s/l?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Negative DNS results are typically not cached (for long), only positive lookups are.

That means all recursive DNS servers are serving a lot more traffic than normal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder if there's any truth to this?

https://hothardware.com/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-down-globally

Just think of all the naughty things people can get up to while all these fb etc are down. Rockwell needs to redo 'somebody's NOT watching me'.

Nah, a DDoS big enough to take out Facebook would blot out the sun. This is people misunderstanding (deliberately or not) the ripple effects of them disappearing into an internet black hole - to a naive network or security engineer (or a dishonest seller of network or security services) the fact that the sheer *amount* of people (and things) trying to hammer at Facebook and their services would look like a DDoS, but it's going to be orders of magnitude less traffic than they would normally see going there - the fact that it's all in one direction is what makes it look like a DDoS.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sounds like Nick Clegg should be fired.

It is pretty funny that I went to bed 4 hours ago (I've gotten really into sleeping in shifts during the pandemic, early evening until 10 or 11 & then up again for hours) and Facebook is still hosed.

Hope the Zuck is taking it well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Configuration for luser Clegg.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Nick Cleggs job is to literally go out and apologise for stuff while looking sad and sincere but not actually giving a gently caress, so he'll be earning his corn tomorrow I guess.

I've barely noticed the outage other than WhatsApp not working. I'd be in infinitely more distress if the forums were down.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And now my feckin broadband is down. :mad: Everything sucks and is stupid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My facebook is sort of back. I can't post anything or read any notifications though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i sent some whatsapps I think I fixed it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Facebook would be greatly improved if people could not post anything.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
ah well, back to hell world

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

that should cheer you up at least

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently the visa scheme for foreign HGV drivers is being extended to March

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-58774226

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was just wondering does anyone know any homeless shelter for transwomen? I have several pairs (some new) of UK size 10 (Eu size 43/44) shoes to give away. I tried gumtree and facebook to no avail. I thought maybe I could send them to a homeless shelter and transwomen are more likely to have my size feet. Alternatively, if this is a seriously bad idea, please say!

I'm a trans woman with size 10 feet, I saw earlier you were offering these to any takers here. If it's not too late, could I have them?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/05/priti-patel-to-enable-police-to-stop-disruptive-protesters-going-to-demos

Guardian I know, I'm trying to stop checking it out of habit - but anyway this is just more stuff about the Tories eliminating the right to protest and also some stuff about alcohol detecting and GPS tags added on. I don't know how I'm even supposed to react to this because it really loving bothers me. It's so loving evil and unnecessary in a way I thought the Tories were too flippant to care about - and you know once this is locked in, it'll just get more restrictive and expansive.

People are so isolated and fragmented it's a miracle mass protest still occurs. Their complete dominance isn't enough, they also have to kill the ghost of the idea that the working class have any ability to express themselves without directly breaking the law. If you can't disrupt anything without going to jail, who gives a poo poo what you think?

Has labour even had anything to say about this?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
this is just my conjecture but you're seeing this stuff around the world and I think governments are just getting ready for constant protesting as the climate and inequality gets worse. The real kicker is the implication that they are not planning on doing anything about the causes. They're just giving themselves the means to lock us down. I expect disruptive and violent climate protesters to get hit with tougher and tougher sentences much like the woman who damaged the pipeline in America. They're going to make examples of people.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Regarde Aduck posted:

this is just my conjecture but you're seeing this stuff around the world and I think governments are just getting ready for constant protesting as the climate and inequality gets worse. The real kicker is the implication that they are not planning on doing anything about the causes. They're just giving themselves the means to lock us down. I expect disruptive and violent climate protesters to get hit with tougher and tougher sentences much like the woman who damaged the pipeline in America. They're going to make examples of people.

It’s not like it’s news that we’re living in a cyberpunk dystopia. It’s been that way for a decade and a half already. Private corporate armies when?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Unexpected admission by Lord Frost, Northern Ireland related mainly, that the NIP is working as intended so they need to remove it: https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1445058698380992517?s=20 but it was surprising to see the it talked about so openly. :-)

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes, it’s this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Unexpected admission by Lord Frost, Northern Ireland related mainly, that the NIP is working as intended so they need to remove it: https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1445058698380992517?s=20 but it was surprising to see the it talked about so openly. :-)

This will invite the kind of EU sanctions that people like to imagine the mean EU have already introduced

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol it's not that forward planned, it's the the tories don't like uppity young people disrupting their days with protests and wants them all to go away.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

This will invite the kind of EU sanctions that people like to imagine the mean EU have already introduced

Doesn't annoying the Irish get you prank Dominos pizza deliveries to your place of work?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving lol.

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1445287973638053888

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And the XR stuff that’s going on at the minute will make it even easier to pass public opinion, in a way that other types of protest wouldn’t provide such handy cover for.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

Doesn't annoying the Irish get you prank Dominos pizza deliveries to your place of work?

Idk, I'm Irish, and if someone pranked me by sending Dominos to my place of work (my house) I would happily eat that garbage

E: for content.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1445289295556882435?s=19

This woman used to work in my department when I was a postdoc, she used to be one of Irelands leading biologists before she had a major break with reality and is now one of Irelands (Europe's?) leading anti-vaxxer loons (she was always a terrible person)

Recent highlights include claiming a Garda was raping her when he refused to let her barge into a vote-counting cente during a by-election (where her :tinfoil: platform gained few votes).

So I guess Tories are taking a lot of cues from America, and the more extreme fringe is embracing this rubbish now to attract the crank vote. No way that could end badly

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll have to out-crank Rosie Duffield first.

Does make me wonder what causes the academic break with reality in those cases though. Some kind of epistemological break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Red Oktober posted:

And the XR stuff that’s going on at the minute will make it even easier to pass public opinion, in a way that other types of protest wouldn’t provide such handy cover for.

That's what it's meant to do, yes.