Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did any goons get Astria Ascending?

Steam reviews are mixed but it sounds like the kind of jrpg I could sink into for a while.
There's been some conversation about it going on over in the general RPG thread, and the verdict seems to be that it's not very good. I haven't played it myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

pentyne posted:

The mods or the devs? Because I've heard a lot of talk about some devs who remove any discussion about problems or reviews and will ban people for criticizing their game.
I met some diva devs as well who deleted my negative reviews and poo poo talk me as well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Devs can't delete Steam reviews, and don't go giving Epic ideas for future features.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think I've heard of devs spamming "report as abuse" or something to get rid of reviews?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was several years ago when it happened. I figure the dev was also publisher as well. They certainly did something to my review since I couldn't edit it or have anyone see it. I guess they technically didn't "delete" it if that was the case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Artelier posted:

Question about Inscryption: How far into the horror genre is it? Like is it just horror themed, or is there actual suspense and tension and jump scares?

Me like cards, me no horror
From the demo it's mostly just horror themed.

Saint Freak posted:

I don't know that anyone is going to have a great answer since it's not out yet. There's a demo. I don't remember any jump scares in it, although everything is definitely dark (literally and metaphorically), there's some suspense and there is a moment that some would call 'body horror' you pull out one of your teeth with a pair of pliers, however it's in first person so you don't really see much besides pliers coming towards the screen, and then retreating with a tooth
Oh wow, I didn't do that in the demo. It never came up.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

K8.0 posted:

Devs can't delete Steam reviews, and don't go giving Epic ideas for future features.

Epic is way ahead of you. You don't have to delete reviews if you don't have reviews.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 5, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It looks like Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr is on sale for about $12.

I heard the game was kind of a mess when it came out, but that it's been patched into being better. Is that true? Is it a good game now?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I got The Forgotten City over the weekend… and already beat it? At least, I got one of the endings (2). I kinda wanna go back and get the others. It’s kinda weird though, since there’s no new game + it looks like I just have to reload a save. Which means the revelations I got from my ending can’t really influence the world, like I can’t confront certain people with the information I gathered from that ending. Also, that ending required rescuing someone, so I guess i just have to leave them captured and walk away to continue playing? Just feels weird

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did any goons get Astria Ascending?

Steam reviews are mixed but it sounds like the kind of jrpg I could sink into for a while.

Even as a bad game liker it is extremely bad and the only good things about it are the visuals and music. Avoid.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreatGreen posted:

I heard the game was kind of a mess when it came out, but that it's been patched into being better. Is that true? Is it a good game now?

I found it okay It had weird difficulty spikes, but overall was fun. It just didn't really hold my attention to keep me playing. But for $12 it's certainly is worth it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zil posted:

I found it okay It had weird difficulty spikes, but overall was fun. It just didn't really hold my attention to keep me playing. But for $12 it's certainly is worth it.

Thanks! Is this your opinion from before or after the big 2.0 patch that supposedly improved everything?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks! Is this your opinion from before or after the big 2.0 patch that supposedly improved everything?

Before 2.0 from the looks of it. Might have to reinstall to try out the changes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I got The Forgotten City over the weekend… and already beat it? At least, I got one of the endings (2). I kinda wanna go back and get the others. It’s kinda weird though, since there’s no new game + it looks like I just have to reload a save. Which means the revelations I got from my ending can’t really influence the world, like I can’t confront certain people with the information I gathered from that ending. Also, that ending required rescuing someone, so I guess i just have to leave them captured and walk away to continue playing? Just feels weird

There are 3 sub endings and then the "good" ending. Can't you just reload one of your saves? I think that's what I did when I got the easiest to get ending. The best ending (not a spoiler to you, but everyone else) you leave them captured, and do something else. It all works out in the end

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 5, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I reloaded and was able to basically gather the info I got from that ending without going through with it, so I was able to continue. I think I know what I have to do to get the real ending, too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I don’t know exactly what’s going on in this video but I looked up high level gameplay for Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr and found this on youtube, and I have to say it looks really, really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iowdps3wmDk

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 5, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The only game that I have been sold on from NextFest is a game from 2001.

Blade of Darkness.

It's literally Dark Souls if it was made in 2001.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Blade of Darkness owns, yeah.

Also, the original Rune by Human Head Studios is similar. 3rd person melee game with a kickass pvp component that’s probably dead now but it was great at the time. Rune’s single player combat was ok but the real selling point was the atmosphere of the world. You play as a Viking sworn to protect one of Odin’s runestones, which gets stolen by Loki’s forces and you travel all around Midgard and the underworld to get it back.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why did they drop the Severance from the name? Blade Of Darkness was ace, gonna check out the demo for sure. Unless it's unbearably clunky I'll have a nice nostalgia trip with this one. I remember playing Demon Souls for the first time and being reminded of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Would be cool if Inquisitor cut it with the false advertising, but I guess it will literally be like that forever because nobody gives a poo poo.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Anyone have impressions on the demo for Wytchwood? That looks like my jam.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
y'all have any suggestions for controllers? last controller i bought was a 360 for Windows and liked it quite a bit. would mostly use it for indie 2D and 3D platformers and No Man's Sky.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gaspy Conana posted:

y'all have any suggestions for controllers? last controller i bought was a 360 for Windows and liked it quite a bit. would mostly use it for indie 2D and 3D platformers and No Man's Sky.

The new xbox controllers are perfection, imo (edit: looks like $10 off right now too). People here swear by the 8bitdo SN30+ Pro but I am far more used to the offset sticks of the xbox controller as opposed to the stick layout of a playstation controller so I didn't get much use out of my SN30+.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll recommend the 8BitDo Pro 2, it's a great controller. Good solid D-pad, sticks and buttons are nice, it's got analog triggers, two buttons on the bottom side of the controller, full remap ability with multiple profiles, and turbo and macro support. It also works on Android and Switch, and has a physical switch on the back to swap between input modes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ghostlight posted:

From the demo it's mostly just horror themed.

Oh wow, I didn't do that in the demo. It never came up.

You tear out a tooth and put it on the scale to tip it, as if it were a point of damage. I guess you don't technically have to if you get lucky or you just choose to lose a round at some point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supplice is okay. I think that the level design oscillates between great and confusing, where entrances to the next section will be kind of tucked away, and at other times there are multiple routes. I have a balance concern, as the normal difficulty is quite challenging, opting for an almost Serious Sam level of overwhelming you with enemies... but without giving you the elbow room or the firepower to handle it. The first level has a really difficult opening as your best weapon is the shotgun you find and it does not have many shells, but then the blue keycard, and the main base door opening, both ambush you with a ton of enemies. So you use up your shells really quickly and then are limited to your default automatic weapon which is decent in small encounters but not suitable for crowd control. They may need to tweak the damage numbers. I wanted to believe they just wanted you to keep moving forward, but that's an easy way to get surrounded as you're exploring new areas.

Fallen Aces: gently caress this is cool. A first person noir brawler that also has stealth routes. Do you like sneaking through vents and taking people down from behind? That's in this, as well as just running straight at dudes and punching them. A lot of the dumb henchman dialog that you come to expect from a stealth game. What I didn't expect was there's like some pulp comic hero directing you? But yeah. The punching and kicking is fun, and you can pick up just about everything not nailed down and throw it, which can help if you get in a crowd control situation, although.. not as much as I'd like. You can't get a gun until the end of the level (which makes sense), but there's a chance to get swarmed by enemies twice and.. there's not really an ideal way of dealing with it aside from hoping one of the pipe wielding goons throws/drops their pipe, and then you can take enemies down a lot faster. I think the ultimate quality of the game will be determined by the stealth/brute balance... will there be enough combat options to make action goons happy? Or will this primarily be designed for stealth, with brawling being a defense?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 5, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

ps, xbox or 8bitdo controllers. pick whichever layout you like best.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
literally the $20 Logitech controller is the best one

seriously unless you want to pay like $100 it is the literal best controller

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I have a question about the endgame in Chronicon, not sure if anyone is experienced enough to say but I don't really want to resort to build guides or whatever since I've been having a good time just playing blind. I feel like I'm missing some facet of the mechanics when it comes to the damage and hp scaling of higher tier anomalies though. My character seems fairly geared out right now: legendary/true legendary in every slot, a couple really powerful set bonuses, maxed out greater runes and lessers everywhere else, well rolled stats on everything with perfect gems, etc. I can pretty comfortably do tier 7 elite dungeons, which has a 270,000% modifier to enemy hp. If I want to go up to tier 10 dungeons though that bonus becomes 3,300,000% and by the cap of tier 15 its 213,000,000%. I can barely tickle a tier 10 enemy, yet it feels like I've reached a soft plateau in terms of character powerful, where gains are small incremental increases in damage rather than the massive exponential gains I'd need to take on max level content.

If anyone has overcome this hurdle I'd be interested in how you did it, and hopefully the answer isn't "only a few builds can"

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
seconding 8BitDo Pro 2. great controller. I'm particularly fond of the dpad/programmable back buttons/profiles you store in the controller/multiple mode switch (xinput,yadda)/pc, switch, android.
it's bluetooth, and usbc, so no orientation plugging the cable into the controller too!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Has anybody tried swapping the A/B and X/Y buttons on a pro 2 to match Xbox layout? As far as I know I can just switch the input mode and have windows detect it as an Xbox controller right? (I don't even look at the controller anymore, but I'm just used to that layout by now)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
is there any way to increase the speed at which the mouse wheel zooms in and out in the Enhanced Editions of the Infinity Engine games? i can't affect it by changing the global mouse settings, at least not from the ones i can find easily

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Tried a demo for Itorah, a kind of Incan-themed metroidvania and it's kinda poo poo unfortunately

GreatGreen posted:

It's good if you want a pretty straightforward Diablo-like where you shoot shitloads of monsters. I feel like I got it for even cheaper earlier in the year though or maybe it was about that.

Simone Magus posted:

literally the $20 Logitech controller is the best one

seriously unless you want to pay like $100 it is the literal best controller

okay but what is the best controller that has the xbox layout not the dual shock layout

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The 7th Guest posted:

Supplice is okay. I think that the level design oscillates between great and confusing, where entrances to the next section will be kind of tucked away, and at other times there are multiple routes. I have a balance concern, as the normal difficulty is quite challenging, opting for an almost Serious Sam level of overwhelming you with enemies... but without giving you the elbow room or the firepower to handle it. The first level has a really difficult opening as your best weapon is the shotgun you find and it does not have many shells, but then the blue keycard, and the main base door opening, both ambush you with a ton of enemies. So you use up your shells really quickly and then are limited to your default automatic weapon which is decent in small encounters but not suitable for crowd control. They may need to tweak the damage numbers. I wanted to believe they just wanted you to keep moving forward, but that's an easy way to get surrounded as you're exploring new areas.

I gave this a try and I only got to the end of the first level, and it seems all right, although I do echo the confusing level design aspect a bit. There were a couple of spots where I wasn't sure where to go. Part of that was not immediately realizing what doors looked like, part of it is that the first level has a lot of places which connect together and look kinda the same.

I think the Tandem enemies (Two-headed Chaingunners) might be overtweaked, as they can outright shred you in seconds, and they often come in pairs. It turns those encounters into a cover shooter. Once they see you they take a second to spin up, and even if you duck out of sight, they remain spun up for a few seconds. The best strategy is to either kill them with the alt-fire of the Rotary Shotgun, or else hide and wait to hear them spin down.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Would be cool if Inquisitor cut it with the false advertising, but I guess it will literally be like that forever because nobody gives a poo poo.

What false advertising?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Supplice is being made by a pretty great Doom level designer (among others) known particularly for his puzzle levels. I’m excited to see what’s in the demo because I love that stuff.

Also curious to see how it fits with the current mode of doom levels which are… challenging on the “standard” difficulty. Though lower difficulty options are usually very well fleshed out on the better wads.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Has anybody tried swapping the A/B and X/Y buttons on a pro 2 to match Xbox layout? As far as I know I can just switch the input mode and have windows detect it as an Xbox controller right? (I don't even look at the controller anymore, but I'm just used to that layout by now)

Yeah, pretty much. Generally, when 8bitdo is in xinput mode (PC), the top button is Y, left is X etc despite the label. The pro2 and some of the older controllers also have software you can use to completely rearrange the buttons however you want.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

MMF Freeway posted:

I have a question about the endgame in Chronicon, not sure if anyone is experienced enough to say but I don't really want to resort to build guides or whatever since I've been having a good time just playing blind. I feel like I'm missing some facet of the mechanics when it comes to the damage and hp scaling of higher tier anomalies though. My character seems fairly geared out right now: legendary/true legendary in every slot, a couple really powerful set bonuses, maxed out greater runes and lessers everywhere else, well rolled stats on everything with perfect gems, etc. I can pretty comfortably do tier 7 elite dungeons, which has a 270,000% modifier to enemy hp. If I want to go up to tier 10 dungeons though that bonus becomes 3,300,000% and by the cap of tier 15 its 213,000,000%. I can barely tickle a tier 10 enemy, yet it feels like I've reached a soft plateau in terms of character powerful, where gains are small incremental increases in damage rather than the massive exponential gains I'd need to take on max level content.

If anyone has overcome this hurdle I'd be interested in how you did it, and hopefully the answer isn't "only a few builds can"

I booted this up on a whim yesterday night and managed to clear a T15 elite dungeon carefully so it is possible even with a half 'finished' build. From what I can tell orange affixes from runes and legendaries are all multiplicative with each other like in D3 and when I get a new one or two that fits my build I can at least move up a tier.

I don't pay attention to the meta of this game but a lot of the affixes are very skill agnostic and you might just get to T15 with anything.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Unreal_One posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Generally, when 8bitdo is in xinput mode (PC), the top button is Y, left is X etc despite the label. The pro2 and some of the older controllers also have software you can use to completely rearrange the buttons however you want.

ya, thought as much, I'd just love it if the physical buttons matched that, but it's a minor detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

Huh, I didn't know this had turned into a paid project.