Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Breast Implants by Takata, installed as a dealer option

edit to be clear: This is not a gendered joke, I mean everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Heads down display

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

W-where does the airbag go?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:haw:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ahhh gently caress I can't unsee it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jesus loving Christ what the actual literal gently caress are they thinking?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Jesus loving Christ what the actual literal gently caress are they thinking?

“Maybe people want their gauges to be upside down while they’re turning”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

obviously they're going to auto-rotate like your phone does, with a little pause before each 90 degree rotation, and sometimes spazzing out and flipping upside down for no reason etc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uuuugh gently caress off Hyundai

It's basically who can come up with the next lovely gimmick at this point

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Uuuugh gently caress off Hyundai

It's basically who can come up with the next lovely gimmick at this point

Well, they're all trying to catch up with Tesla in that respect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

wesleywillis posted:

Well, they're all trying to catch up with Tesla in that respect.

True. At least the steering wheel is still a wheel....Sort of....For now

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Since we're doing obscure chinese EV chat

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

aw i was hoping you had to shift by rolling the orb

That's how you accelerate, it's like an old arcade bowling game

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

It's incredibly difficult to get a license plate in China if it's not a hybrid/EV so that's probably why. Everyone that I know that lives there has a hybrid/EV.

Huh, I never knew this factoid. Thank you.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

And I'm glad it wasn't just me that imagined this. Though I was just thinking drive by orb, gently caress a steering wheel entirely.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

slidebite posted:

It has an AC motor?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And I'm glad it wasn't just me that imagined this. Though I was just thinking drive by orb, gently caress a steering wheel entirely.

Like sim racing with a track ball.

Oh God someone will spill food on the orb and it's just going to smear across it and always be a little sticky.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
The ongoing Tesla-isation of interiors continues and it's awful. The new S-Class vs the old demonstrates this quite well. Yeah, the old one still had a huge display behind the wheel, but the new one.. as well as ugly it with, among other things, its removal of any curves and the insertion of a huge slab of a screen in the middle, Mercedes are also apparently enthusing about how many fewer buttons it has, which just makes it more fiddly and less safe to adjust stuff while driving. I don't know why they think this is good, other than mindless adherence to zeitgeist and trends. I thought Mercedes were more thoughtful than that.

So, a new interior which is uglier (at least to my eyes) and less practical. Let's hope this trend fades a bit and we start to see a more sensible hybrid approach using buttons and touch screens where each is more sensible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Scratch Monkey posted:

It has an AC motor?
Its range is also 50 miles. Not included, 50 mile extension cord.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I'm just imagining that Hyundai steering wheel turns off when the steering wheel angle diverges from zero. And then I'm picturing a scene ten years down the road when the car has a bad alignment and the steering wheel is crooked when the car is driving straight down the road.

Maybe the owner gets an alignment just so the screen starts working again? I guess it would also encourage the owner to get the clock spring repaired when that takes out the steering screen?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was either that or picturing some old guy playing Golden Tee in his car then accidentally slamming into someone

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Old? I was only playing them ... 20 years ago? No!!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
We’re you one of the SUPER SERIOUS dudes who really got into flinging that trackball?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The ongoing Tesla-isation of interiors continues and it's awful. The new S-Class vs the old demonstrates this quite well. Yeah, the old one still had a huge display behind the wheel, but the new one.. as well as ugly it with, among other things, its removal of any curves and the insertion of a huge slab of a screen in the middle, Mercedes are also apparently enthusing about how many fewer buttons it has, which just makes it more fiddly and less safe to adjust stuff while driving. I don't know why they think this is good, other than mindless adherence to zeitgeist and trends. I thought Mercedes were more thoughtful than that.

So, a new interior which is uglier (at least to my eyes) and less practical. Let's hope this trend fades a bit and we start to see a more sensible hybrid approach using buttons and touch screens where each is more sensible.

🎶 We don't need no ventilation
We don't need no air controls

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Hey! Tesla! Leave that wheel alone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Scratch Monkey posted:

We’re you one of the SUPER SERIOUS dudes who really got into flinging that trackball?

No. I mostly just played the bowling one while drunk at the bar. Had some coworkers that bought their own cabinets because it was cheaper than all the quarters that they were feeding into them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Data Graham posted:

We are just moving towards the office building in HGttG where an AI controls the climate and you cannot open windows or change any settings, then it goes rogue and kills everyone inside.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh gently caress OFF with this poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So why move the displays out the recesses?
Does glare not exist anymore?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where are the benevolent patent trolls to prevent this kind of asshattery

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

slidebite posted:

I love this, minus the wheels. Probably objectively bad but I can't not love a 356

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hyundai is the benevolent patent troll. Some corporate designers over there got blitzed on soju and doodled this idea as a joke, but the next morning soberly realized that it was only a matter of time before Tesla came up with it and put it into production. So they quickly filed a patent, never intending to produce it, just to protect the public. They are heroes :patriot:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, Koenigsegg got there first, with the Jesko, so I imagine Hyundai feel they need to act fast to keep all their customers from switching.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

To be honest, in terms of just basic design I love the move back to straight lines. gently caress modern design trends where everything needs to be a compound curve. Knock the lovely screens out of the top one and just have the center console continue under the dash so the dash is one unbroken line door to door, and I'd be running out to put serious money I don't have down on it just because it would be the one modern interior that doesn't look bloated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BigPaddy posted:

We are just moving towards the office building in HGttG where an AI controls the climate and you cannot open windows or change any settings, then it goes rogue and kills everyone inside.

Fffff I think about Breathe-O-Smart every few months

(Especially since the company I was working for moved into the WTC)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Season 1 X-Files Ghost in the Machine also a good reference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

Season 1 X-Files Ghost in the Machine also a good reference.

The tech company in that episode is called Eurisko, which is kind of weird. I wonder if they talked to Doug Lenat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sagebrush posted:

Hyundai is the benevolent patent troll. Some corporate designers over there got blitzed on soju and doodled this idea as a joke, but the next morning soberly realized that it was only a matter of time before Tesla came up with it and put it into production. So they quickly filed a patent, never intending to produce it, just to protect the public. They are heroes :patriot:

This was my thought exactly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite posted:

I move that this is in the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No AliBaba car belongs in the other thread, no matter how good it looks from a distance.