Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

He doesn't say "I'm a Nazi" but he says a lot of Nazi poo poo and consorts with other like-minded folk. He likes racial slurs. He will go through contortions in his lore ramblings to erase the already pathetic level of diversity that exists in 40k (though it has improved somewhat recently). He is friends with the Golden One, who is like if Varg refrained from murdering anyone or trying to burn down churches, and channeled all that energy into Youtubing his bodybuilding, MRA poo poo, and streaming Skyrim where he "cleanses the lesser races" by specifically targeting the black and Middle Eastern-coded character types. Arch has (had?) a secondary politics-focused channel where he mused what to do about the inherently terrorist ideology of Islam, specifically "more draconian measures are required." He is very clearly big into the fascism of 40k for the sake of the fasc, however he is minimally brand-aware enough to know that's a bad look, but he's also stupid enough to paper this over by just saying 40k isn't fascy.

Further on The Golden One, who is just a generally ridiculous human being one must see to believe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahuj1B0ow4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have seen all the hmomb videos an absolutely sickening amount of times and they never get old.

gently caress yes, give me your well-researched critiques and niche humor, you hilarious brit-twink.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have seen all the hmomb videos an absolutely sickening amount of times and they never get old.

gently caress yes, give me your well-researched critiques and niche humor, you hilarious brit-twink.
I love his Sherlock one. Nowhere near as an important a subject about this one, but it's such an entertaining trip through everything that's janked about that show.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Warthur posted:

I love his Sherlock one. Nowhere near as an important a subject about this one, but it's such an entertaining trip through everything that's janked about that show.

His Sherlock video was the thing that made me realise that you could just make a badly written show that uses the same stylistic techniques as a well written show and most viewers' brains (including mine) will just convince themselves that they're watching something good. I watch a lot less TV now.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tarnop posted:

His Sherlock video was the thing that made me realise that you could just make a badly written show that uses the same stylistic techniques as a well written show and most viewers' brains (including mine) will just convince themselves that they're watching something good. I watch a lot less TV now.

The bit which always cracks me up on the video is the way he unpacks the entire Moriarty plot, and makes it crystal clear that Moriarty in Sherlock is an absolutely pointless enigma of a character operating according to no discernable motivations whatsoever, just doing utterly random poo poo to set up cliffhangers.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Loving all of the replies of people showing up to spew confederate apologia.

Tarnop posted:

There's an old tumblr post that talked about Moffat and it was something along the lines of "He is not the master of the cliffhanger, he is the master of the "ha ha ha, gently caress you for caring"." and that has stuck with me. I don't think there's a single person who had more contempt for their audience than that dude. Maybe Fritz Lieber did when he started shitposting in short story format by the end of his career.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's an old tumblr post that talked about Moffat and it was something along the lines of "He is not the master of the cliffhanger, he is the master of the "ha ha ha, gently caress you for caring"." and that has stuck with me. I don't think there's a single person who had more contempt for their audience than that dude. Maybe Fritz Lieber did when he started shitposting in short story format by the end of his career.

Moffat is a perfect example of someone who was a decent contributing writer, but absolutely always needed folks who could veto him or take stuff he started and tweak it. Absolutely not someone who should be put in a showrunner position, or anywhere he was public facing and could open his dumb mouth, because yeah it really is hard to hide just how much contempt he always has for his audience.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Coolness Averted posted:

Moffat is a perfect example of someone who was a decent contributing writer, but absolutely always needed folks who could veto him or take stuff he started and tweak it. Absolutely not someone who should be put in a showrunner position, or anywhere he was public facing and could open his dumb mouth, because yeah it really is hard to hide just how much contempt he always has for his audience.

I may not be remembering this but I'm 60% sure there's a scene were a "fan" of Sherlock tells him the resolution to a case makes no sense and Sherlock goes "who cares, you big nerd?" and walks off and I remember thinking the show hated the thinking fan.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I may not be remembering this but I'm 60% sure there's a scene were a "fan" of Sherlock tells him the resolution to a case makes no sense and Sherlock goes "who cares, you big nerd?" and walks off and I remember thinking the show hated the thinking fan.

It comes up multiple times in the show and is stated as much that you're not supposed to care about How sherlock does his neat stuff. You're just supposed to accept that he is smart and can do absurd poo poo because he is smarter than you. You're only supposed to care about why he does something. Because Moffat cannot actually think up how to get from point a to point B, he just has Sherlock Jump to point B because he's smart.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The episode where Dr Who arrogantly talks down to a Black man, telling him that he must be the gym teacher because Dr Who cannot conceptualize that he's a math teacher was the last straw for me.

No you see, it isn't racist because now Moffat's Dr Who hates veterans.

You just need to forget that the Brigadier, UNIT, Jamie, and a few other decades of the show.

gently caress Moffat. Under his run, Dr Who became a show about how the oldest whitest man in the room knew everything and was always right.

E: he decided that there'd be no more multi-parters. The classic formula where Dr who arrives and learns the scenario along with the viewer worked primarily because the format allowed for that.

Under Moffat's one-episode model, the Doctor arrives on a planet and knows loving eveything about it because there's no time to show so he just tells.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 5, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

It comes up multiple times in the show and is stated as much that you're not supposed to care about How sherlock does his neat stuff. You're just supposed to accept that he is smart and can do absurd poo poo because he is smarter than you. You're only supposed to care about why he does something. Because Moffat cannot actually think up how to get from point a to point B, he just has Sherlock Jump to point B because he's smart.

To be fair, that starting point isn't wrong or off-base from how Sherlock works in the original stories. He was always a big-brained mystery wizard who solved the case before you ever could and you're left with big holes in the evidence or chain of events because 90% of Holmes stories aren't "fair play" mysteries.

Where Sherlock falls comes from a few factors: 1. Moffat can't actually write something clever, so every twist either falls flat or is incoherent. This feeds into: 2. You either are left unmoored as to how anyone could follow the logic of the mystery, or you realize it was so simple there's no reason any other hypothetically competent adult near Sherlock couldn't figure it out, too. The good Holmes stories threaded the needle on leaps of logic just far enough that you could see why someone with the eclectic knowledge base of Holmes was needed to solve it. Or you see him doing some background research you're not privy to, so when he fills in the blanks it all falls into place. Then this leads to 3. Every twist Sherlock tries to play up as brilliant feels frustratingly unearned.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

moths posted:

The episode where Dr Who arrogantly talks down to a Black man, telling him that he must be the gym teacher because Dr Who cannot conceptualize that he's a math teacher was the last straw for me.

You just need to forget that the Brigadier, UNIT, Jamie, and a few other decades of the show.

gently caress Moffat. Under his run, Dr Who became a show about how the oldest whitest man in the room knew everything and was always right.

E: he decided that there'd be no more multi-parters. The classic formula where Dr who arrives and learns the scenario along with the viewer worked primarily because the format allowed for that.

Under Moffat's one-episode model, the Doctor arrives on a planet and knows loving eveything about it because there's no time to show so he just tells.

Don't forget the doctor's SUPER SPECIAL companion who's SO SPECIAL and MORE SPECIAL than all the other companions and has ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOREVER and is SO MYSTERIOUS AND AMAZING and had absolutely no chemistry with Matt Smith at all so it was like watching a black hole suck up all the energy in the room.

She was Better with Capaldi but that's not saying much.

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be fair, that starting point isn't wrong or off-base from how Sherlock works in the original stories. He was always a big-brained mystery wizard who solved the case before you ever could and you're left with big holes in the evidence or chain of events because 90% of Holmes stories aren't "fair play" mysteries.

Where Sherlock falls comes from a few factors: 1. Moffat can't actually write something clever, so every twist either falls flat or is incoherent. This feeds into: 2. You either are left unmoored as to how anyone could follow the logic of the mystery, or you realize it was so simple there's no reason any other hypothetically competent adult near Sherlock couldn't figure it out, too. The good Holmes stories threaded the needle on leaps of logic just far enough that you could see why someone with the eclectic knowledge base of Holmes was needed to solve it. Or you see him doing some background research you're not privy to, so when he fills in the blanks it all falls into place. Then this leads to 3. Every twist Sherlock tries to play up as brilliant feels frustratingly unearned.

Or when he cleverly 'subverts' a holmesian story and then insults someone for thinking the solution that Holmes came to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Clara was the only thing I liked about nuWho but even from that charitable starting point the conclusion to her story was awful. You have this character whose entire deal is that she eggs the Doctor on to ever more self-destructive but potentially transformative extremes and then they write her off the moment it comes time to, like, actually follow through on that arc. Absolute cowardice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
HBomberguy's video is good but his claim that the original stories were fairplay mysteries isn't really accurate.

moths posted:

Moffat was showrunner for seasons 5-10. Aside from season 7 all of those had two-parters (generally several, with Moffat writing at least one), and one of them (S9) was almost entirely two-parters.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2021

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was done with "smart = rear end in a top hat" characters long before Sherlock came around (gently caress House), so I never really got into the show in the first place. But I did get as far as when they took the "Matrix Code of random smart person bullshit" flying all over the screen, and elevated it to some weird thing Sherlock actually interacted with like a holo-display. And one of the "smart person things" flying around was just loving Big Ben and they had the clock chiming sound effect, and like most of the visible mind palace stuff it didn't have any loving thing to do with the "mystery" at hand. It was just "Sherlock knows tons of stuff, such as the appearance and sound of the world-famous clock in the city where he lives, what a loving genius." I think that was the first episode?

That show was hot garbage from day 1.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That Old Tree posted:

He doesn't say "I'm a Nazi" but he says a lot of Nazi poo poo and consorts with other like-minded folk. He likes racial slurs. He will go through contortions in his lore ramblings to erase the already pathetic level of diversity that exists in 40k (though it has improved somewhat recently). He is friends with the Golden One, who is like if Varg refrained from murdering anyone or trying to burn down churches, and channeled all that energy into Youtubing his bodybuilding, MRA poo poo, and streaming Skyrim where he "cleanses the lesser races" by specifically targeting the black and Middle Eastern-coded character types . Arch has (had?) a secondary politics-focused channel where he mused what to do about the inherently terrorist ideology of Islam, specifically "more draconian measures are required." He is very clearly big into the fascism of 40k for the sake of the fasc, however he is minimally brand-aware enough to know that's a bad look, but he's also stupid enough to paper this over by just saying 40k isn't fascy.

Wow. I had heard about this guy, but nothing specific. This is pretty extremely "mask off".

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wow. I had heard about this guy, but nothing specific. This is pretty extremely "mask off".

I don't think The Golden One ever had a mask on. He seems pretty straightforward with "Yeah, I'm a nazi fascist. Now watch me jiggle my pecs."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

when I was much younger the realization that I could never solve a Scooby-Doo mystery ahead of time turned me off from that show completely

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The fun thing about moffat’s tenure as Who showrunner is that it coincided with a fairly massive improvement to the presentation of the show (to be blunt, while the stories themselves can be really good, most of the Eccleston and Tennant series looked like poo poo) so, much like in Sherlock, he was able to hide his declining narrative ability by just vomiting a shitload of Production Value all over the audience until they were convinced that the show couldn’t be bad, it looks so good!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The fun thing about moffat’s tenure as Who showrunner is that it coincided with a fairly massive improvement to the presentation of the show (to be blunt, while the stories themselves can be really good, most of the Eccleston and Tennant series looked like poo poo) so, much like in Sherlock, he was able to hide his declining narrative ability by just vomiting a shitload of Production Value all over the audience until they were convinced that the show couldn’t be bad, it looks so good!

tbh I think you could say the same for a lot of the more bombastic Tennant episodes as well. Some of those big two-parter finales were exhausting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

admanb posted:

tbh I think you could say the same for a lot of the more bombastic Tennant episodes as well. Some of those big two-parter finales were exhausting.

Oh yeah, it cannot be emphasized enough that basically everything moffat did wrong with Who was building on mistakes Davies made, it’s just that Moffat went so much farther, and his hit to miss ratio ended up a good bit worse than rusty left with.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Moffat's Blink was the Iron Heroes of Doctor Who.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Moffat's Blink was the Iron Heroes of Doctor Who.

oh hell yes this is an incredible analogy

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

There writes, I would guess, an American who doesn't have a clue that Britain is actually a different country to America with a different set of social issues to America. And that episode, which wasn't very good, was mostly about class. The Doctor's problem with Danny was that he was a non-commissioned officer (Sergeant Pink), and he repeatedly called him a Squaddie (a slang term for a private) - and the default for a Squaddie as a google image search will show you (once you get past the GTA "Squaddie Mammoth") is white. The Brigadier was, of course, a commissioned officer. Jamie wasn't a modern Brit - he was a 17th Century piper. Also the doctor may have worked with UNIT, but he really wasn't impressed by them and spent most of his time working round them with them as an obstacle - and seemed to like even the Brigadier much more in Nu Who than Old Who.

I agree this really isn't a good look, especially in America. Even despite the fact it was hammered home with the subtlety of a falling anvil that the Doctor was wrong. But neither is Americans projecting their issues onto other countries a good look.

quote:

Moths: The Doctor screwed up in this episode in which the episode showed it clearly.
Also Moths: The Doctor was always right.

Now it was a particularly bad episode you were ranting about and didn't understand. But it's an episode that was a literal counter example to your claim here.

quote:

Moffatt's run literally ended on a two part episode. He didn't decide anything of the sort. It was the season after he left where Chris Chibnall (and why they gave Dr. Who to the writer of Cyberwoman is beyond me) decided that there'd be no multi-part episodes.

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget the doctor's SUPER SPECIAL companion who's SO SPECIAL and MORE SPECIAL than all the other companions and has ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOREVER and is SO MYSTERIOUS AND AMAZING and had absolutely no chemistry with Matt Smith at all so it was like watching a black hole suck up all the energy in the room.

This is an issue, but is genuinely not Stephen Moffatt's fault. Moffatt intended to write the Victorian Clara from The Snowmen as the companion (and that version of Clara did have chemistry with Matt Smith). Unfortunately executive meddling from the BBC said that Clara must be from 21st Century Britain - and said so after almost all the scripts were already written. This meant that most of the scripts in her first half season had to be re-written in a hurry for a largely new character also called Clara with an entirely different and largely undefined background. And it's quite hard to write chemistry between two characters when you have very little idea who one of them is, and you're pasting them over another character and are doing it largely in ignorance of the version of the new character the other writers are pasting over the old character, which means that Clara was a very inconsistent character from episode to episode in the episodes she shared with Matt Smith. And I think in the second half, having had his planned companion blown up by executive meddling, he was pissed.

I don't like defending Moffatt. There are plenty of issues with his time as a showrunner. There are also issues with his writing starting with his excessive centering of the story on the Doctor rather than on the companions (nowhere was this more evident than in A Good Man Goes To War where Amy's baby literally melts in front of her, and the main issue the script and camera focuses on is how this directly affects The Doctor because he hasn't won, and not that a mother just lost her baby). And how The Doctor sucking up all the screentime means that the Bedchel Test is failed hard because there just aren't multiple surrounding characters who get much time to talk to each other. And there are as mentioned is the whole "My super smart protagonist is smarter than you so can effectively magic" which was even more evident on Sherlock.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HBomberguy's video is good but his claim that the original stories were fairplay mysteries isn't really accurate.

I've been reading the stories for the first time recently (just finished The Blue Carbuncle, which I feel was the best short one so far) and I've noticed this too. Like, Sherlock will sometimes just do something away from Watson, then appear back later and have solved everything. However, at least Doyle normally has the decency to explain how he figured it out even if the audience's chances to grasp it ahead of time were slim. Instead of "I've got someone who has his internet searches" it's like, "Okay, based on these postmarks all being different, the culprits was traveling on a ship, so I found the ships that made port in those towns. I looked on the passenger manifests for Americans because blah blah blah." The two novel-length stories I've read so far were much better at than than the shorter ones have been so far, which makes me sad that there are only two more novels to look forward to.

Also, reading the multi-chapter background of the Mormons traveling to Utah makes it so extremely clear that he just wanted to write historical novels and backed into this popularity by accident.

To make this about trad games, I started reading these stories because the cooperative campaign board game Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars was so loving good, I had to get more.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

nu-Who peaked with the episode that had a monster that was just a green fat dude drawn by a literal child and also a guy who was implied to be loving a sentient paving stone

change my mind

Warthur
May 2, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The worst instance of this is something which HBomberguy's video makes a big deal off, 100% justifiably because it's just this magnificent crystallisation of all that was wrong with Moffat's attitude here.

There's an end-of-season cliffhanger in the show where Holmes appears to have died. Naturally, it's the show's Reichenbach Falls moment, so we know goddamn well he's going to come back, not least because a new season was announced, so fandom duly spends the entire break speculating about how Holmes might have survived.

The first episode back not only refuses to give a canonical answer for that, but spends a lot of energy depicting not Holmes' cunning ploy to evade death, but a bunch of true crime fans who are basically in-universe spoofs of Sherlock fans, and portrays them as utter, complete dorks for caring about something which the show had gone out of its way to make them care about, and super-nerdy double-dorks for expecting the show's writers to actually resolve a cliffhanger satisfyingly.

In all his poo poo Moff has always, always been better at creating a gripping cliffhanger than the resolution, I suspect because in TV-land you get rewarded for convincing viewers to tune in to the next episode way more than you get rewarded for your concluding episode sticking the landing.

Kurieg posted:

Pretty much this. For someone writing a detective show, Moffat is frequently more-or-less utterly disinterested in the actual process of, you know, being a detective. The original Holmes stories might not have played as fair with the reader as rigorously as HBomberguy claims (but I am 99% sure most of them played fairer than Moffat's dreck does), but they at least cared about Holmes' process in a way which Moffat doesn't, which is why he tries to do all those fancy special effects tricks as a cheap shorthand for it.

Sherlock is like a GUMSHOE system game run by an especially artless and clumsy referee, who relies so heavily on the safety wheels in that system to make sure that information gets handed over to the PCs to advance the plot that they just hand over the info near-arbitrarily, and has done this so long that said referee's ability to actually present clues in a more organic fashion or give players the space to come to their own conclusions has atrophied (or never developed in the first place), and they've never realised that if you don't at least put a bit of a figleaf over the safety wheels in GUMSHOE you end up with a slightly hollow experience where everyone might as well have an undifferentiated "investigation" pool rather than individuated investigation skills.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 5, 2021

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

One of his videos back in the day was "The Jewish Question", and another one was "Did Hitler Actually Do Anything Wrong?" (Or maybe those were the same video? It doesn't matter that much.) His "mask" is simply not outright saying the magic words "I'm a Nazi" (as far as I'm aware, I haven't dumpster-dived him in a long time). Just like how if you don't say "I'm a racist" or use the n-word, you aren't racist.

And I don't think he's ever been meaningfully sanctioned by YouTube, apart from the usual demonetization. He's still plugging along to this day, getting millions of views, pulling in at least a couple thousand per month through Patreon.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 5, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Warthur posted:

I suspect because in TV-land you get rewarded for convincing viewers to tune in to the next episode way more than you get rewarded for your concluding episode sticking the landing.

I think you're right, the only case I've ever heard of someone making GBS threads the bed with something (narrative) and not getting immediately rewarded with more beds to poo poo in was the Game of Thrones guys. They basically killed the entire GoT franchise overnight for normals, and I doubt it's because the material was only gonna last the runtime of the show, Harry Potter is still crazy popular despite the dickhead of an author and everything else. But GoT straight up died, and now it's just a bunch of hopeful bookfriends hoping GRRM can put out the last two books before punching the clock.

Everyone else I've ever seen do dumb, unfixable nonsensical damage to a show just gets more shows. Star Trek introduced magical teleporting drive in the TOS era and then blew it up because there was no way to make it work, and then said "gently caress it" and blew up the entire setting because they had no idea how to write Star Trek and he just re-signed for a pay hike and more shows greenlight. Like gently caress.

Is there a TTRPG equivalent? Like they literally just ruin poo poo they touch but keep getting work?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there a TTRPG equivalent? Like they literally just ruin poo poo they touch but keep getting work?

Phil Brucato?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dancey as well, surely.

Serf
May 5, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i remember arguing with some ttrpg nerds about the confederate flag and being told that it wasn't a symbol of racism, it was just popular because people remembered it from "the dukes of hazzard"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

moths posted:

I once read an in-depth analysis of Moffat's run w/r/t feminism, including not just whether episodes passed the Bechdel test, but how many lines of dialogue women got and how many of those were not a conversation with The Doctor. The stats were pretty damning.

I watched Dr. Who from Eccleston through the end of Matt Smith, and when Moffat took over...it seemed like Amy Pond and River Song were important because they're at the center of convoluted plots, and because The Doctor says so, not because they're great characters in their own right. (The way the Doctor met Amy as a child, became a central figure in her life by being absent, and then coming back to pick her up at 19...well, it rubbed me the wrong way.) I missed Donna.

As for Sherlock, my brain just couldn't take a hold of anything that was going on. I thought I was too dumb to understand it, but I eventually realized that it's because nothing means anything. Holmes just exists to solve mysteries, and his abrasiveness becomes less charming when you realize how performative it is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I like a lot, a lot of Moffat's trickery, but the most annoying and symptomatic line of his whole time on DW is I think the big "revelation" moment of "the only water in the forest is the river" which is the big reveal that River Song is Melody Pond, but it also instantly falls apart because come on, loving forests have ponds all the goddamn time. I love the poesy and the idea of it but he just couldn't actually make it work and it ruins the whole idea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

neonchameleon posted:

Moths: The Doctor screwed up in this episode in which the episode showed it clearly.
Also Moths: The Doctor was always right.

Now it was a particularly bad episode you were ranting about and didn't understand. But it's an episode that was a literal counter example to your claim here.

Here's the thing: the Doctor makes a racist assumption that the show never addresses.

The Black man can't be a math teacher "because he's a veteran," and Moffat and the show use it as a teachable moment to respect are troops.

What's more damning is that nobody thought about the outrageously poo poo optics of a white boomer getting a page of script in the Black character's face asserting that he isn't, and cannot possibly be smart enough to teach math.

"Gee that's not so bad over here in the UK" doesn't change that it's pure barf everywhere else.

Anyway I was talking about how he always knows the episode's premise, what to do, and how eveyone's better off differing to him. It's bad and lazy, and recurring in Sherlock.

quote:

I don't like defending Moffatt.

Have you considered not doing it?

Capauldi era was also introduced with a whimsical bonk as he dropped the sonic screwdriver on his nuts. This is who you're batting for.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I'm very much more a classicWho fan than a newWho fan. I think both eras of Dr. Who have problems with pacing - newWho struggles to pack all of a particular story's ideas into a single 45 minute episode a lot of the time, classicWho would often throw in a lot of padding, but the failure mode I prefer is the one where we get to wallow in the current serial's setting a bit more and see a little more depth (where such depth exists, which admittedly isn't always the case) rather than the one where everything seems hurried. So choosing between the different showrunners is tough for me because between RTD, Moffat, and Chibnall, they're all kind of doing some of the things which turn me off the new version of the show anyway.

That said, I think a problem both RTD and Moffat have is that they were so, so giddy and happy to be making the show, it meant that under them the show kept slipping into being all about how amazing Doctor Who the show is (which, by extension, crept into being about how awesome the character was), rather than just knuckling down and telling some cracking good SF adventure stories.

But whilst this was a bad habit during the RTD era which RTD lapsed into from time to time, in the Moffat era it was a sodding constant, right from the first Matt Smith episode onwards. It's a universe which is built around how super-important the Doctor is, which feels like a huge misreading of the original show, where in most serials the local people treat him like this weird stranger who's blundered into their poo poo for no good reason because that is literally what he is.

Token tradgame reference: one thing I've noticed running my current Star Trek game is that tabletop RPGs often run at a pace closer to classic Who than new Who, unless your group is all onboard with aggressively and briskly keeping the action going. As a default, people will tend to want to ask questions about stuff and interact with bits of the setting which interest them and variously do things which slow things down.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 5, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

(Also racism super isn’t dead in the UK at all.)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

neonchameleon posted:

There writes, I would guess, an American who doesn't have a clue that Britain is actually a different country to America with a different set of social issues to America. And that episode, which wasn't very good, was mostly about class.

We regret to inform you that Britain also has a racism problem.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Serf posted:

i remember arguing with some ttrpg nerds about the confederate flag and being told that it wasn't a symbol of racism, it was just popular because people remembered it from "the dukes of hazzard"

Yeah, the problem isn't that the paintjob is patterned after a car from an old TV show, it's that on this particular TV show, the car is literally called the General Lee, and has a big confederate flag on the roof.

If it was, like, Kitt from Knight Rider, or the ambulance from Ghostbusters, or something, it would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

We regret to inform you that Britain also has a racism problem.

You might even say that the racism problem and the class problem intersect in areas, making one go hand-in-hand with the other. And if someone's dismissing a black working class man for being working class in a British show, that's not and never will be purely a class thing.