Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

read the thread before replying lmao

whoops lol don't know how I missed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is a sad day :(

e: also jeez my last post was pretty abrupt huh? sorry about that

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Lynch needs a national arts grant to fund whatever he wants to make, god drat it. It’s not fair.
Someone start a go fund me!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how I can make this happen but i really want to be involved in a lynch production before he bites it. At any level, actor or key grip our special assistant to mr. Lunch

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

*monkey finger curls* abracadabra you get to be the production assistant who has to tell him his scenes are running long.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

The Klowner posted:

I don't know how I can make this happen but i really want to be involved in a lynch production before he bites it. At any level, actor or key grip our special assistant to mr. Lunch

Start getting into TM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Klowner posted:

Production Manager: Hello Mr. Lynch, this is our new assistant runner The Klowner, he'll be fetching cof-
David Lynch: I'm casting them as the central antagonist of this entire show!
Production Manager: Seems reasonable.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

*2 days into filming*
You're going to play the protagonist too!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Start getting into TM
Taskmaster? Now there's a crossover.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Does the actor that plays Mike have one or two arms? I realize I could Google this.

It's strange, because when he's clothed it's blatantly obviously that he's doing the arm under the shirt thing. But then there is that scene with his shirt off, and he has no arm. It looks to real to be a prosthetic for the era.

So what's the deal with this Schrodinger's arm dilemma?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The actor lost one arm in a car crash when he was a teenager

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

eSporks posted:

It's strange, because when he's clothed it's blatantly obviously that he's doing the arm under the shirt thing.

well the actor only has one arm so I'm not sure it's blatantly obvious they're doing this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

romanowski posted:

well the actor only has one arm so I'm not sure it's blatantly obvious they're doing this

Maybe Lynch stuck a dummy arm under his shirt to do a double blind meta trick on the audience

(or more likely 90s baggy fashion is to blame for this illusion)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

romanowski posted:

Every person I've introduced Twin Peaks to comments on it. It really does look like it!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wasn't there a four hour video about this?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

(or more likely 90s baggy fashion is to blame for this illusion)
I suspect it's a combo of baggy shirts and there being just enough arm left at the shoulder that it causes shirts and sleeves to hang away from his torso a bit.

e: I'm pretty sure there are scenes somewhere in the show or movie (though perhaps in special features or deleted scenes) that show a shirtless Al Strobel featuring only one arm.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 27, 2021

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
In my memory he also has like a really barrel shaped torso that makes him look strangely thick for what looks like a smaller guy.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Sometimes I send myself into a spiral thinking about Philip Gerard/Mike/The Man From Another Place. Like, what happened to Philip Gerard? Did he die? Is it only Mike in the Waiting Room in season 3? Why did Mike cut off his arm but Philip lost it in an accident? Bob is evil, TMFAP is. . .neutral(?) And Mike is good? But not that good because he's in the Waiting Room.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Sometimes I send myself into a spiral thinking about Philip Gerard/Mike/The Man From Another Place. Like, what happened to Philip Gerard? Did he die? Is it only Mike in the Waiting Room in season 3? Why did Mike cut off his arm but Philip lost it in an accident? Bob is evil, TMFAP is. . .neutral(?) And Mike is good? But not that good because he's in the Waiting Room.

it doesn't matter, probably not, yes, tmfap identifies himself to Cooper as "the arm", Bob and tmfap are both evil, Mike is good. Hth

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Twin Peaks does lose a lot moment after you find out who killed Laura Palmer. Some of these subplots like the one where Andy and Dick think a kid is the Anti Christ are bad.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 hours!)

i don't think that's really controversial.

everything building up to the reveal is pretty much excellent, i think the original series peaks around that time (excluding the finale of s2), but immediately after it you just have what feels like flailing subplots with nothing really in focus. there are probably some good things in there, i've never rewatch those episodes though so i don't remember the details.

it recovers and finds a new much darker direction from the s2 finale onwards, but that middle period is just 'what now? here's something wacky this is a wacky show right'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

roomtone posted:

from the s2 finale onwards
It's funny how we can now phrase it like that when for 25 years the whole of Twin Peaks was, in order, half great, half aimless, mother of all cliffhangers and a movie no one liked :v:

I've got this theory that you can view the whole of season 2 as three distinct mini seasons, each about as long as S1. 2a is everything from the start to, well, a fairly obvious point really. 2b has aimless subplots and ends when Diane Keaton's episode ties them all up, in my opinion well enough that it's worth sitting through them. 2c is the rest, basically the Windom Earle season, and is half hot garbage and half essential Twin Peaks lore so in many ways it's the hardest part.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y’all seen Search Party? There’s some stuff in seasons 3 and 4 that feels like twin peaks got filtered through Veronica Mars and maybe a little Pretty Little Liars.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Search party is great. I don't really remember any twin peaks vibes though.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I liked Search Party a lot but it felt more like a modern Fargo with terrible people making the worst decisions possible at every point.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We watched a what seemed like a Twin Peaks antecedent/influence over the weekend: a 1970's Australian movie called Picnic at Hanging Rock (our neighbor lent us his Critereon DVD). It's a period piece about the disappearance of 3 girls and a teacher from an all-girls school around 1900. I would not say that it's a good movie by modern standards but I guess it was groundbreaking especially for Australian cinema at the time. It definitely checked a lot of boxes for Lynchian work -- a very open ended mystery with eerie nature atmospherics, music, changes in film speed, etc. We didn't love the movie but it's probably worth a watch if you're into that kind of thing. At some level the criterion commentaries on the second disk were more interesting and I can't help but think someone could do a pretty decent remake as a Shadow of the Vampire sort of flick where the original book's author is somehow involved in the original mystery and re-enacts it during filming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We watched a what seemed like a Twin Peaks antecedent/influence over the weekend: a 1970's Australian movie called Picnic at Hanging Rock (our neighbor lent us his Critereon DVD). It's a period piece about the disappearance of 3 girls and a teacher from an all-girls school around 1900. I would not say that it's a good movie by modern standards but I guess it was groundbreaking especially for Australian cinema at the time. It definitely checked a lot of boxes for Lynchian work -- a very open ended mystery with eerie nature atmospherics, music, changes in film speed, etc. We didn't love the movie but it's probably worth a watch if you're into that kind of thing. At some level the criterion commentaries on the second disk were more interesting and I can't help but think someone could do a pretty decent remake as a Shadow of the Vampire sort of flick where the original book's author is somehow involved in the original mystery and re-enacts it during filming.

Seconding this. It’s an amazing movie that has an atmosphere that just completely envelops you at times. I’m due for a rewatch so thanks for reminding me!

There was a tv version a few years back but i dunno, the original is an all time great film imo so I didn’t check that one out.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I really liked almost everything they filmed at Hanging Rock itself.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eSporks posted:

Search party is great. I don't really remember any twin peaks vibes though.
Yeah I feel the same way

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/pajaro_burlon/status/1445103178698170378?t=ELoq1TvTYIXgaGslHRD05w&s=19

Did we clock they were wearing the same outfit the first time around?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

bowmore posted:

Yeah I feel the same way

It might have just been a scene where Dory is staring at herself in a bathroom mirror. Then some “bad episodes” TP S2 style goofiness

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DrVenkman posted:

https://twitter.com/pajaro_burlon/status/1445103178698170378?t=ELoq1TvTYIXgaGslHRD05w&s=19

Did we clock they were wearing the same outfit the first time around?
You Won't Believe What This Star Looks Like Today!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

zelah posted:

Y’all seen Search Party? There’s some stuff in seasons 3 and 4 that feels like twin peaks got filtered through Veronica Mars and maybe a little Pretty Little Liars.

If we are talking about things to recommend for Twin Peak fans I want to bring up Sam Keith's The MAXX. Yes this is a :airquote: superhero :airquote: comic but the starting point is that Maxx is a homeless mentally ill wreck and in hopelessly codependent friendship with his social worker Julie Winters who has her own issues :stare:. The series deals with trauma, repression and the sub consciences. The first twelve issues is one of the finest stories ever done in comics and got adapted into an animate series available on Amazon the series is worth the $19 and at least spend the $2 to watch the first episode I promise its worth it. Sam Keith the creator of the series was the First artist that worked with Neil Gaiman on the Sandman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGw0-gLZaMA&t=5s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Legion had some pretty strong David Lynch vibes when I first saw it. Recently I rewatched S1 and the impression has diminished somewhat, I think I just originally watched it at around the same time as Twin Peaks S3, but it does still have those "what's real and what's not and what's just a metaphor" elements and gets quite loving odd.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7oQDdLddgU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

eSporks posted:

Someone requested memes. I found this hot (and accurate) take.

Just finished Fire Walk With Me and if this is accurate I am looking forward to the Return. Everything boring and pointless in Twin Peaks was distilled out of Fire Walk With leaving something much better in every way. I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I would argue, that if someone edited out every character from the TV show who did not show up in Fire Walk With Me, with the exceptions of Sheriff Truman and Ben Horne, you would have a much tighter and intresting show.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 9, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

side_burned posted:

Just finished Fire Walk With Me and if this is accurate I am looking forward to the Return. I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I would argue, that if someone edited out every character from the TV show who did not show up in Fire Walk With Me, with the exceptions of Sherif Truman and Ben Horne, you would have a much tighter and intresting show. Everything boring and pointless in Twin Peaks was distilled out of Fire Walk With leaving some much better in every way.
It is an unpopular opinion, every character is amazing.
You are going to love season 3!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

eSporks posted:

every character is amazing.
WRONG! Josie Packard and her whole family are loving pointless and add nothing to the story. Aside form the opening scene where Pete finds Laura's body you can cut out everything dealing with that family and lose nothing of value to the story.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 9, 2021

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i'm sympathetic to the viewpoint even if i vehemently disagree with it. but not liking pete? come on now. that's jack nance for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think part of the problem is how the second season loses its way and meanders. season 3 will help you re-contextualize the importance of all the 'ancillary' characters. theyre the heart of the show