Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal

There he go
Something is wrong with the internal network at work so after physically organizing some papers to scan later I'm just sitting here on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Okay. Going to go into work and maybe actually sorta put in something like a full day today.

Escape From Noise

The mill arrived today. Looks like I'll have my first brew day tomorrow.

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

Yay?

Escape From Noise

Overall good news. A little nerve wracking, but we're moving forward. It feels a bit sudden, but it probably always was going to be. There are a few things I wanted to get more organized but it just didn't work out that way. I'll be able to get things set up better eventually though.

hot cocoa on the couch

wow that's a fancy mill! i made my own out of a hopper i had laser cut from sheet at my work that i welded (badly) myself and some crown rollers i'm pretty sure. mounted it to a wood board and it sits above a 5 gallon bucket lol

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

It's (being a) miller time!

Escape From Noise

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wow that's a fancy mill! i made my own out of a hopper i had laser cut from sheet at my work that i welded (badly) myself and some crown rollers i'm pretty sure. mounted it to a wood board and it sits above a 5 gallon bucket lol

It's a relatively cheap two roller mill, but it's not bad. I definitely would have liked more time to prepare, but I should be alright. I think I'm going to need to explain the importance of scheduling soon. Today they asked if I could do our second beer the day after tomorrow. Like...why? I know they want to get tanks filled quickly, but I'd imagine at our size it'd be best to stagger releases a bit. I'd also like a day to fix issues I have on my very first day. To be fair, they didn't seem to have a problem with giving me a day in between.

Escape From Noise

Brew day!

I'm uh... I'm not really sure how to sparge on this system.

Farecoal

There he go
I think sparging in public is against the law

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

No, YOU'RE having a mental breakdown about not having the energy to clean your house because your job has you working 14 hour days running and entire business by yourself when you are paid an embarrassingly low hourly wage.

Escape From Noise

I figured out how to sparge on this system without it taking too much time. So many valves! My feet!

Mormon Nailer posted:

No, YOU'RE having a mental breakdown about not having the energy to clean your house because your job has you working 14 hour days running and entire business by yourself when you are paid an embarrassingly low hourly wage.

I'm going to start a fund to make your boss disappear.

more falafel please

forums poster

I figured out how to sparge on this system without it taking too much time. So many valves! My feet!

hopefully "My feet!" refers to running around all day and not opening a valve of hot liquor on your feet

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

hopefully "My feet!" refers to running around all day and not opening a valve of hot liquor on your feet

Yeah, it's just stress. I got good rubber boots with safety toes! I didn't hot target OG, which is pretty frustrating. This is why I wanted to start out with something more simple. They also ordered me the wrong hydrometer so I had to run around asking people if I could use theirs. Fortunately I found someone.

Escape From Noise

They're really trying to rush production, fortunately they're kind of being forced to let me take some time next week because we need to submit recipes to the government before we can make them. I'm going to need to meet with them and tell them that we need to take things slow so I can get things more calibrated. I understand that they want to get things going but this is how it goes

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 5, 2021

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Give me a heads up and I know just the place...

Hey EFN, how many employees does your job have? Like, in general, is a brewery like that a smaller operation? I don't know anything about that world and it sounds like black magic/rocket surgery sometimes lol

hot cocoa on the couch

Brew day!

I'm uh... I'm not really sure how to sparge on this system.

oh i see, you're like a BREWER brewer. that's cool too

Escape From Noise

Achtane posted:

Give me a heads up and I know just the place...

Hey EFN, how many employees does your job have? Like, in general, is a brewery like that a smaller operation? I don't know anything about that world and it sounds like black magic/rocket surgery sometimes lol

In the brewery it's just me. You don't really need many people in a brewery until you hit a pretty big volume. I worked at a fairly large place in Seattle that had a head brewer running logistics, paperwork, etc. and two other brewery staff when they hired me. I was hired to increase production. Eventually I was doing cellar work (cleaning tanks, carbonating, dry-hopping, etc.) and running packaging while the lead brewer brewed and did more advanced cellar work, or whatever. Until you're pretty large you don't need a huge number of people. At most one or two people brewing, a couple cellar staff, and maybe a couple packaging techs.

At my current size (500 liters with 6 fermentation vessels) I can run most things, we're pretty small so I couldn't see more than one other person really working with me. Eventually we may reach a point where that's necessary. We'll see.

Sorry if I'm bad at explaining this. I'm also pretty out of it.

hot cocoa on the couch

oh drat yeah that's hella small. what is that size even called in the brewery world - is that even "nano" brewing? "pico" brewing? 500 L across 6 vessels isn't a whole lot more than i have capacity for in my dinky little basement brewery, i do 55 L batches and have 3 fermenters (so 165 L i guess but it's rare for me to have all 3 full)

it's dope that you do it as a job tho, i've considered going pro a few times but i feel like i missed the boat at this point now that there are hundreds (maybe over 1000?) breweries in my province

Escape From Noise

oh i see, you're like a BREWER brewer. that's cool too

Just sorta!

Escape From Noise

oh drat yeah that's hella small. what is that size even called in the brewery world - is that even "nano" brewing? "pico" brewing? 500 L across 6 vessels isn't a whole lot more than i have capacity for in my dinky little basement brewery, i do 55 L batches and have 3 fermenters (so 165 L i guess but it's rare for me to have all 3 full)

it's dope that you do it as a job tho, i've considered going pro a few times but i feel like i missed the boat at this point now that there are hundreds (maybe over 1000?) breweries in my province

Oh, sorry, I meant it's a 500 liter system with six 500 liter tanks. It's on the smaller side but not quite that tiny. There's a brewery with a 200 liter system not far from us.

cruft

Moved furniture yesterday. Still cleaning up after the art department.

hot cocoa on the couch

Oh, sorry, I meant it's a 500 liter system with six 500 liter tanks. It's on the smaller side but not quite that tiny. There's a brewery with a 200 liter system not far from us.

oh okay yeah that makes more sense haha. i actually haven't brewed in over a year, i've been really busy with my new job but also a lot more outdoor hobbies, like this weekend i just bought a dirt bike. but i've been thinking about designing and building a new system from the ground up lately - probably a semi-auto recirculating mash system of some type, with a automation panel and stuff. all my equipment is poo poo i cobbled together over the years and now i have more money and time and tools and i know i could build something way cooler and better

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Morning panic attack thought:

What if I just stopped going, what then?

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

More time for bongs and fall goblin things

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I know you have a lot of reasons to but... sometimes I really think you should. Because JFC

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Afternoon panic attack thoughts: I could be working 24 hours a day and still not get everything done.

Ass-penny

EFN looking forward to hearing how the brew turns out!

MN are things still moving forward with the interviews you had recently? I haven't been at my full capacity the last week or so, I may be misremembering but I was fairly sure you were talking to some people. Everything doesn't have to be done at your current job, from your stories, I don't think you owe your current boss anything. Maybe the sinking feeling his business is going to fail because he underpays people and drove away his best employee?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Afternoon panic attack thoughts: I could be working 24 hours a day and still not get everything done.

This is very me right now.

Not appreciating people calling with urgent poo poo that must get done before the urgent poo poo someone called about 30 minutes ago that had to get done before the urgent poo poo before that...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

This is very me right now.

Not appreciating people calling with urgent poo poo that must get done before the urgent poo poo someone called about 30 minutes ago that had to get done before the urgent poo poo before that...

Yup.

I finally just broke down and cried and people are very confused because I Don't Cry.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yup.

I finally just broke down and cried and people are very confused because I Don't Cry.

Ugh. Sorry.

I haven't had a good stress-related work cry in decades. I'm sure it's coming, though.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yup.

:sympathy:

As someone that is currently on the clock, I say gently caress a job

Gramps

gently caress a job

It's taco tuesday go stuff your faceholes

Escape From Noise

I think someone forgot a valve on the HLT and it is causing me all kinds of headaches.

Escape From Noise

Just realizing that the boots I bought are too small. I definitely need to pick up new ones tonight.

Escape From Noise

...or maybe they aren't?

cruft

What if your feet are too big?

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

I actually have pretty small feet.

doritto

At work wishing I was unemployed and covered in grease with a scraggly neckbeard tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cruft posted:

That's a matter for fats waller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsFV-DWOrms