Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hel posted:

I'm setting up a retropie and I wonder, are there any good horror games for the psx beside Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Parasite Eve? Is Dino Crisis any good?

There's also Clock Tower 1 and 2, Koudelka, D, Alone in the Dark, Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2, and (depending on how far you're willing to stretch the definition of horror) LSD Dream Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've been keeping an eye on DreadXP's Ultra-Indie Spotlight. There's usually at least one game a week that looks interesting to me, and often more.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not call Clock Tower 2 AKA Clock Tower: GHOST HEAD a good horror game

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you like the parts of horror games where weird occult poo poo and crazy lore and backstories are going on then even the bad Clock Tower games are entertaining to experience or watch and read about once.

If you wanted good gameplay then boy are you in for a spooky surprise.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

I would not call Clock Tower 2 AKA Clock Tower: GHOST HEAD a good horror game

Honestly if you like horror games at all you run out of good stuff pretty quick

I mean don't we all give up and play Galerians eventually

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 4, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Horror games are also so subjective that you'll go on steam and see people breathlessly spouting praise for what will turn out to be one of the worst games you have ever played.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
horror is dead

I propose we move onto the next phase

making it... undead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Horror games are also so subjective that you'll go on steam and see people breathlessly spouting praise for what will turn out to be one of the worst games you have ever played.

doesn’t help that one of the most popular criteria for horror these days is “did it make a YouTube man pull a silly face”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

doesn’t help that one of the most popular criteria for horror these days is “did it make a YouTube man pull a silly face”

Bendy and the Ink Machine was one of those, and I beat the entire thing thinking "oh it has such good reviews, it must get good after this part" and then it ended.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah there's a whole market now around games that are made for you tubers/twitch dudes and I feel like they only have sales because said YouTuber pulled a silly face and also same YouTuber releases lore videos.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm an overblood stan

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

In Sound Mind looks pretty cool.The levels are varied, for something about mental health it doesn't seem to rely on most of those "oooh mental illness is scary spooky dangerous" kinda stuff, the game is also comedic and goofy with the villain taking some clear inspirations from freddy krueger but more cartoonish in his mannerisms. Dunno if it sticks the landing since the person I've been watching play through it hasn't finished it yet so it might end up like some horror games where I'm really enjoying it and then the ending just ruins the whole thing, but so far it has been pretty great. The weapons are also very varied and unique, each one being useful for both solving puzzles and combat and the powerup pills you can find give a lot of incentive to go exploring and solving optional side puzzles.

it's so odd that with this dearth of horror games it isn't finding an audience on steam, where even the worst anime asset flip has 9000 positive reviews

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's so odd that with this dearth of horror games it isn't finding an audience on steam, where even the worst anime asset flip has 9000 positive reviews

quality and exposure are very different; quality and positive steam reviews are two wholly separate metrics entirely. Quality is quality but a good game doesn't necessarily fund more games

without getting into a huuuge rant about market trends / modern fandoms / "kids today," it's all about the pitch--it could be the greatest horror ever conceived but no one will know if no one buys it, you gotta sell that fucker

anyone making a horror game right now, take the ill informed advice of someone who is also terrible at marketing: bright colorful characters that are easy to make fan versions of (think Steven Universe and its gems, Five Nights and its various flavors of puppet monsters, Undertale did a masterstroke by establishing alternate universes among a billion other things). That and/or the thing a lot of those anime asset flips have, which is anime tiddies. Use these secrets to bait the rubes in, then whammy them with real good actual horror--bonus points if you "hide" the scariest parts behind some pseudo cryptic semi-meta song and dance routine with vague allusions and mysteries left deliberately mysterious for youtubers to stew over. Don't hide it TOO well or nobody'll bother wading through the marketing parts to find the meat exists (I forget which game had this problem, but a notable game had this problem). Also have money to buy some twitch steamers' attentions. Throw it all at the wall and pray because luck is also a huge factor in whether or not your first handful of sells are to people with friends and/or platforms vs congrats on grabbing the attention of 100 people who will never tell anyone no matter how much they enjoyed it.

TL;DR a lot of horror games are good horror games but they don't look "fun" to the "mainstream consumer," you gotta lead with the "fun" and then trick them into thinking about it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
also make the game itself accessible and easy to play, jump right in and have at it pushing buttons and making the dude walk and the lights go brrr

don't try to pull off some avant garde long term comment driven browser-based bullshit, ain't nobody got time for that

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cold Fear is really neat as an RE-ish type spooky game, set on a big boat with some cool effects done in regards to that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also make the game itself accessible and easy to play, jump right in and have at it pushing buttons and making the dude walk and the lights go brrr

don't try to pull off some avant garde long term comment driven browser-based bullshit, ain't nobody got time for that

This is what hosed over the initially interesting No Players Online, a lot of people got to a point they figured was the end and that was it, when the game had more, but it took messing around outside the game and welp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

TL;DR a lot of horror games are good horror games but they don't look "fun" to the "mainstream consumer," you gotta lead with the "fun" and then trick them into thinking about it

On the other hand, something like the Haunted Demo Disk works great because there's demos all catered into a series of things that have at least some chance of being good. Especially for horror, even a short demo gives a lot for the feeling of how well it is designed and the tone of the piece. But for some reason publishers have become so insanely scared of providing demos, hoping to rely on the blind luck of the blind buck.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
If you haven't played Outer Wilds, YOU ARE MISSING OUT.

That said...if you have you know that aside from a few moments and parts (and the Dark Bramble), it's not an especially scary game.

The new Echoes of the Eye DLC, though? Pretty much all horror, apparently. From the sounds of the reviews its as if the devs decided that the scariest stuff they came up with should be cordoned off in its own sections, and optional at that. (To the point where the DLC includes an option to tone down the scariness.)

But, that's hearsay from me, being that I suck I still haven't finished the base game. (A lifelong habit with rather unique games because I don't want them to actually end since there might not be something else like them ever again so once it's done, it's done.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
word of mouth is the dlc is a letdown compared to the base game and has a number of terrible stealth sections

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So, as it’s October, I decided to actually commit to playing and beating at least one playthrough as Claire and Leon for the RE2 Remake; RE7 is literally the only Resident Evil game I’ve ever played to completion.

Over the years, I’ve had the live action movies on in the background more times than I can count—dozens easily—and I am shocked to discover that they have not helped me with my Leon playthrough in the slightest. No hints, no guidance, nothing.

Maybe if I had actually watched the movies instead of using them for background noise, I would have been able to hit the ground running? Where is Mila Jovovich, I keep wondering. Nowhere. Unbelievable. There are quite a few discrepancies between the films and this game, that’s for sure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yardbomb posted:

Cold Fear is really neat as an RE-ish type spooky game, set on a big boat with some cool effects done in regards to that.

Holy poo poo, someone else who played Cold Fear.

Cold Fear is like proto-Dead Space, but not set in space. It's pretty neat.

The plot also cribs extremely heavily from the movies Virus/Deep Rising/Event Horizon/Ghost Ship, but then so does Dead Space.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I tried playing Cold Fear again recently but it keeps bugging out on the boat :smith:

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Cold Fear is awesome and super underrated.

Giragast did a really in-depth LP of it back in the day if anyone would rather check that out. It's what convinced me to give it a go.

https://lparchive.org/Cold-Fear/

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My first Halloween game is the Medievil remake for ps4. It's perfect for this time of year.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Mirello posted:

normally this thread gets really popular in october. this year its practically dead. sad

Too Shy Guy used to put up reviews of horror games every day of previous Octobers. I'm not sure what happened but those definitely made the thread popular in years past

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I again must remind everyone that the ultimate horror game already exists: Illbleed

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

oldpainless posted:

I again must remind everyone that the ultimate horror game already exists: Illbleed

Yes indeedy I am planning to replay this gem soon!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fear not horror games thread, I've found an upcoming release that will save the Halloween season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDggNqg7Tko

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

exquisite tea posted:

Fear not horror games thread, I've found an upcoming release that will save the Halloween season.

I saw the trailer for this a few days ago and had a nightmare about it the following night. If that's not a seal of approval I don't know what is. :patriot:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

exquisite tea posted:

what in god's name

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I found a small problem:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Dienes posted:

I found a small problem:

That's the scariest thing about it. It will come out in the dead of winter.

Seriously though, the concept is neat and I wonder whether it has legs.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

That's the scariest thing about it. It will come out in the dead of winter.

Seriously though, the concept is neat and I wonder whether it has legs.

Going by the trailer it has lots of them.

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
I'm playing the original dead space on the 360. It starts of strong, but man oh man does it become a slug fest for the last few missions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bendy and the Ink Machine was one of those, and I beat the entire thing thinking "oh it has such good reviews, it must get good after this part" and then it ended.

It must be cool making some middling to bad game that allows you to make bank off merchandising. Didn't the same thing happen to Hello Neighbor which got shittier as a game with each release/update but it did gangbusters in that YouTube lore way that Five Nights and Bendy did?

Did that car chasing game ever come out? Not Ride With Strangers the one that's just cars. I remember the clip I saw ages ago was spooky in the right way.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I finished The Beast Inside on stream and while it was a bit uneven, it never stayed in one place too long and had some good jump scares.

Tormented Souls was a real throwback with some insanely convoluted puzzles, had a good time with it though.

I've got At Dead of Night and Song of Horror lined up next and I can't decide which one to start on.

Gonna replay Code Veronica when it comes back on GWG and looking forward to RE4 vr when that drops later this month.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

It must be cool making some middling to bad game that allows you to make bank off merchandising. Didn't the same thing happen to Hello Neighbor which got shittier as a game with each release/update but it did gangbusters in that YouTube lore way that Five Nights and Bendy did?

Did that car chasing game ever come out? Not Ride With Strangers the one that's just cars. I remember the clip I saw ages ago was spooky in the right way.

Do you mean Beware? Probably still a ways off but they put out a new demo in July

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXH5PQSA_o

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Duckula posted:

I finished The Beast Inside on stream and while it was a bit uneven, it never stayed in one place too long and had some good jump scares.

I played that for a little while, it's not bad but the whole Magic CIA ghost tuner thing was pretty stupid. I liked the normal beats of it though, and really thank God for the spooks that take you away from Failing Marriage Simulator 2021

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hello Neighbor was an interesting case because the developers *desperately* tried to court the YouTube game theorist dollar and it just never took off the way the rest of them did. It did better than most of its kind, but the game was just too complex and mechanically broken to really take off. FNAF was difficult but ultimately there was like three buttons to press in each game, and Bendy was a corridor tour game. Neighbor had all kinds of stupid puzzles that required you to mess around with its bad item movement physics. It's interesting because I will bet you the vast majority of the fans never actually played past the second level, it's like some sort of Stand Alone Complex of Fandom just off YouTube videos.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
With the exploding popularity of Squid Game, I am looking forward to tons of low-quality "Fall Guys but gory" massive multiplayer action games coming out next year. They'll be different from battle royale games because you won't personally be doing the killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

With the exploding popularity of Squid Game, I am looking forward to tons of low-quality "Fall Guys but gory" massive multiplayer action games coming out next year. They'll be different from battle royale games because you won't personally be doing the killing.

I'd be kinda into it if the games they feature are games from all over the world, it would be neat to see people trying out the games for the first time and making new strategies as adults.

But I know in my heart of hearts it's just going to be "oh no, it's jump rope but the rope cuts your legs off oh noooo"