Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kitties shouldn't drink regular coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Good morning, Milly

https://i.imgur.com/zF8vMKc.mp4

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mustafa has collapsed into a pile of drumsticks

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

you guys wanna see just the most photogenic cat

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Radio! posted:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
How Catface possible?

Took Shelly on a short supervised walk in the backyard today.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Radio! posted:

:allears:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

they’re starting to get a bit friendlier when eating time comes around

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Catface! :3

Ugh, yelled at Cookie today I was cleaning up his mess. He decided his food was late so he pushed over a jar with a plant in it, spilling water down the bookshelf and making a huge soggy mess. I feel kinda bad now but do cats even learn from this poo poo? :(

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Radio! posted:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Radio! posted:

Perfection

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

they’re starting to get a bit friendlier when eating time comes around

Look at them goooo

Synthbuttrange posted:

Catface! :3

Ugh, yelled at Cookie today I was cleaning up his mess. He decided his food was late so he pushed over a jar with a plant in it, spilling water down the bookshelf and making a huge soggy mess. I feel kinda bad now but do cats even learn from this poo poo? :(

They don't. They learn doing the thing gets them what they want (attention, food, pets). That's part of why the advice for teaching a cat to not yell is "Don't acknowledge they are yelling." There's other stuff that goes with that obviously (petting them/rewarding them when they're being quiet), but ultimately their brains are the size of walnuts, no matter how "intentional" and "vengeful" they might seem.

They aren't. They just know pushing plant off shelf gets them what they want.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

marceline has not paid any mind to the thunder and lightning storm that's been going on all evening and night. literally doesn't even open her eyes to acknowledge it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/bumpfn/status/1445033544233988107

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FelicityGS posted:

Perfection

Look at them goooo

the three that were easy to catch are letting me pick them up by the scruff of the neck and pet the mercilessly in my lap.

the fourth one that was hard to catch (reminder, I had to set the live animal trap out with fancy feast and check it hourly four nights in a row after the others all fell for it and got trapped in a 15 minute window on the first night I had the trap out) is still only letting me pet her during feeding, and even then she finishes chewing her bite of food, then hisses at me, then goes back to eating.

but she will be my friend. they will all be my friends, and they will love me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You pet them kittens, you pet them kittens good. It's the only way they'll learn to tolerate human contact.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the three that were easy to catch are letting me pick them up by the scruff of the neck and pet the mercilessly in my lap.

the fourth one that was hard to catch (reminder, I had to set the live animal trap out with fancy feast and check it hourly four nights in a row after the others all fell for it and got trapped in a 15 minute window on the first night I had the trap out) is still only letting me pet her during feeding, and even then she finishes chewing her bite of food, then hisses at me, then goes back to eating.

but she will be my friend. they will all be my friends, and they will love me.

yer doin' good work, eide van hagar

if you haven't seen it, this flatbush cats bideo has lots of ideas for socializing a scared feral kitten. sounds like she is well on the way, but might be useful to isolate her from the others for a while so you can do 1-on-1 work with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcD8DrJKejQ

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

the grump is palpable

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BobHoward posted:

yer doin' good work, eide van hagar

if you haven't seen it, this flatbush cats bideo has lots of ideas for socializing a scared feral kitten. sounds like she is well on the way, but might be useful to isolate her from the others for a while so you can do 1-on-1 work with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcD8DrJKejQ

that video is very helpful, thanks!

she’s definitely food motivated, and now that they seem to be healing up pretty well from the surgery (which was only a week ago) and I think they’re feeling a little more secure about food and their environment in general

when i open the crate door they’ll slowly come out for food, then i try to have some play time with toys and laser pointer etc, clean the crate and then they’re generally pretty happy to go back in and nap for a bit so i think the crate is starting to feel pretty safe for them. i usually don’t have to put the gloves on at all unless the manic pixie kitten doesn’t want to go back in the crate with the others. for the 1:1 time i generally keep them up in my lap on the sofa and pet them while I watch some tv or do work on the computer and that doesn’t alarm the dog so i can do that and swap out kittens all afternoon.

i can tell the really scared one is making every human encounter a bit more traumatic for the others at this point, they only get scared and hiss after she does. wrapping her in a towel* and petting and feeding her relentlessly is probably the next step. especially since i have been able to pick up the other 3 for 1:1 time pretty easily all week, and she just won’t let me get to her without the gloves. there is less claw in the slaps than on day 1, but she’ll still making drat sure i don’t actually pick her up bare handed.

*making a kitten burrito, a “purrito”, if you will.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Say hello to Tinsel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is like dangerous levels of cute

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

hey tinsel

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the kind of tinsel you do not want near your xmas tree

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

holy poo poo

Hi Tinsel :kimchi:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Radio! posted:

:eyepop:

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

:popeye: :popeye:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

it’s Trophy 2.0!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

that video is very helpful, thanks!

she’s definitely food motivated, and now that they seem to be healing up pretty well from the surgery (which was only a week ago) and I think they’re feeling a little more secure about food and their environment in general

when i open the crate door they’ll slowly come out for food, then i try to have some play time with toys and laser pointer etc, clean the crate and then they’re generally pretty happy to go back in and nap for a bit so i think the crate is starting to feel pretty safe for them. i usually don’t have to put the gloves on at all unless the manic pixie kitten doesn’t want to go back in the crate with the others. for the 1:1 time i generally keep them up in my lap on the sofa and pet them while I watch some tv or do work on the computer and that doesn’t alarm the dog so i can do that and swap out kittens all afternoon.

i can tell the really scared one is making every human encounter a bit more traumatic for the others at this point, they only get scared and hiss after she does. wrapping her in a towel* and petting and feeding her relentlessly is probably the next step. especially since i have been able to pick up the other 3 for 1:1 time pretty easily all week, and she just won’t let me get to her without the gloves. there is less claw in the slaps than on day 1, but she’ll still making drat sure i don’t actually pick her up bare handed.

*making a kitten burrito, a “purrito”, if you will.
I wonder if it would be better to separate the manic one if she's making it difficult for the others; the others might progress faster without her, and then she can get focused (as pretty much every guide on the topic suggests.) Might be as simple as giving her own crate/carrier, if space allows.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kw0134 posted:

I wonder if it would be better to separate the manic one if she's making it difficult for the others; the others might progress faster without her, and then she can get focused (as pretty much every guide on the topic suggests.) Might be as simple as giving her own crate/carrier, if space allows.

yeah space is the main issue with all the other warm bodies in a 700sqft 1 bedroom here: dog, cat, 4 kittens man, woman, person, camera, tv

i am hoping some more 1:1 time will help her catch up (i can take the gloves off and hold her after she calms down but catching her with the gloves also freaks her out), but if i can’t pet and pick her up bare handed today or tomorrow she’ll have to go into the single cat sized carrier for a bit, but that’s very small and i am running out of floor space 😂. already changing two litter boxes every 12 hours what’s one more tiny litter box??

really, i was thinking they were all gonna have to be barn cats so even getting 3 of 4 as indoor house cats would be better than what I and the vet initially predicted

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

Very cool, thanks man.

My catte needs this toy. What's it called? (the toy, not the catte. The catte is Diana.)

Diana, currently having a nice snooze

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My catte needs this toy. What's it called? (the toy, not the catte. The catte is Diana.)

The thing she jumped onto the bed to play with? It's a cat bed that I got for 30 bucks Canadian or something. I'm happy to buy one and ship it to you if you want. Total cost maybe around 40usd or something. She loves the bed and we take it to different rooms now and then if we want her to have a comfy place to sleep.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

oh my god

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tinsel is a cutie.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Double posting to say I looked it up and found it here:

https://paulmacs.com/product/SCM05514/Soft-Tent-Bed-baileybella

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh my goodness tinsel

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

El Gar posted:

Say hello to Tinsel

yes! omg I thought when that tweet was posted that it looked like Trophy’s pretty pink posting rig! hey Tinsel you absolute adorable rear end in a top hat

Underwater Shoe fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 5, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

That is Pip, whose main sleeping spot seems to be the dining room chairs while they’re pushed under the table.

That’s Raiju again, acting like he owns my pillow. (I have so many cat pictures)

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 5, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

DreamingofRoses posted:

(I have so many cat pictures)

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

DreamingofRoses posted:

(I have so many cat pictures)

prove it