Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some doofus probally left the door propped open with a old key badge blocking the bolt so he could not have to take the keys out of his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Everyone's favorite idiot general getting called out for not disclosing monies.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/04/michael-flynn-hid-200k-in-payments-for-middle-east-nuclear-power-plan-before-joining_partner/

quote:

Michael Flynn received $200,000 in undisclosed payments for consulting work in the Middle East before joining Donald Trump's administration.

The retired U.S. Army general was paid for his work in 2014 and 2015 on a plan to build 40 nuclear power plants in the Middle East, which never came to fruition but would have involved companies from Canada, France, Russia and the U.S. constructing and managing nuclear plants in Arab nations, reported the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
That is one big-rear end payment, holy poo poo. Good for the victim, get hosed, Tesla!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/tesla-ordered-to-pay-137-million-for-harboring-workplace-racism

quote:

Tesla Ordered to Pay $137 Million Over Racism in Rare Verdict

Tesla Inc. lost a case against a Black former elevator operator and must pay an unprecedented $137 million in damages for having turned a blind eye to racial taunts and offensive graffiti the man endured at the electric carmaker’s auto plant in Fremont, California.

Owen Diaz, a former contract worker who was hired in 2015 via a staffing agency, was subjected to a racially hostile work environment, a federal jury in San Francisco decided Monday. The award is among the most significant verdicts of its kind.

“I believe that’s the largest verdict in an individual race discrimination in employment case,” said David Oppenheimer, a clinical professor of law at Berkeley Law. “Class actions are of course in a different category.”

Tesla’s vice president of people, Valerie Capers Workman, sent an internal email late Monday that the company subsequently published in a blog post on its website titled “Regarding Today’s Jury Verdict.”

Workman wrote she was “at the defense table for Tesla every day during the trial because I wanted to hear firsthand what Mr. Diaz said happened to him.” The post said that “the Tesla of 2015 and 2016 (when Mr. Diaz worked in the Fremont factory) is not the same as the Tesla of today.”

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahhahahaha, oh Elon, get rekt. Stick to making child coffins.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wait. An elevator operator? In 2021?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Plants will have contraptions that elevate things and need attending/an operator, I assume it's not a traditional elevator

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They had a normal elevator, but it kept trying to accelerate and kill everyone onboard unless interrupted by a human.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

They had a normal elevator, but it kept trying to accelerate and kill everyone onboard unless interrupted by a human.

They couldn't develop an autopilot solution?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

orange juche posted:

They couldn't develop an autopilot solution?

The Hasids have already figured that one out in regards to elevators.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

The Hasids have already figured that one out in regards to elevators.

Sabbath mode is a neat as gently caress elevator function

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
iirc, it was not a person elevator, but an equipment one. He was also not a tesla employee, but a contractor. He reported racist bullshit from both tesla and his employer. His employer took corrective action. Tesla, well, they're paying $130m because they don't fix racism problems when they arise - they exacerbate them.

This guy is lucky because he somehow was able to avoid the arbitration agreement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

Sabbath mode is a neat as gently caress elevator function

The kosher switch lightswitch is pretty nifty as well. There's no work being done! All you do is move a little piece of plastic and wait for a random photon to be emitted. Quantum mechanics saves the day.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Mr. Nice! posted:

The kosher switch lightswitch is pretty nifty as well. There's no work being done! All you do is move a little piece of plastic and wait for a random photon to be emitted. Quantum mechanics saves the day.

Approaching the "divine will of god in written form" as a contract lawyer leads to some funny poo poo.

Like the wire that makes a complete loop around Manhattan so observant jews can be outside after sundown on the sabbath but are still technically "inside".

Edit: it separates the public and non public zones:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/13/721551785/a-fishing-line-encircles-manhattan-protecting-sanctity-of-sabbath

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 5, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's someone's job to go around daily and check that line for breaks, too.

J&J is asking the FDA for booster authorization today, apparently.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

How fast would/could they get it? Kind of want to schedule my cut-rate slut-juice booster ASAP.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The advisory panel's meeting on the 14th/15th for Moderna / J&J boosters, then the 26th for Pfizer's Age 5-11 EUA. Approvals probably a week after each meeting. There's talk that the Moderna booster is going to be a half dose, which I'm sure as hell not complaining about and want in my arm immediately.

OPM memo just released too, all feds have to be vaccinated by November 22nd, which means mRNA deadlines are October 11th/18th to get started, or a J&J on November 8th. Going to be an epic shitshow if the debt ceiling doesn't kill us all first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Was the debt ceiling not kicked down the road to December?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Was the debt ceiling not kicked down the road to December?

Nope, that's the continuing resolution (direction to spend money). Debt ceiling explodes on October 18th (borrowing exhausted, no money available).

And right now, it's looking like there's no general way out, as McConnell isn't even taking a hostage while his caucus filibusters and doesn't allow Democrats to raise it unilaterally.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm sure omnipotent beings are cool about it when you show up to the afterlife and go "well technically."

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Drop the filibuster to pass debt ceiling bullshit, blame the republicans for it, then just continue on without it, and pass all the things republicans have been blocking.

Unfortunately, I'd be more likely to believe the dems would default before they'd go through with it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just mint a stack of trillion dollar coins already.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

iirc, it was not a person elevator, but an equipment one. He was also not a tesla employee, but a contractor. He reported racist bullshit from both tesla and his employer. His employer took corrective action. Tesla, well, they're paying $130m because they don't fix racism problems when they arise - they exacerbate them.

This guy is lucky because he somehow was able to avoid the arbitration agreement.

It helps not having Lin Wood as your counsel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Nope, that's the continuing resolution (direction to spend money). Debt ceiling explodes on October 18th (borrowing exhausted, no money available).

And right now, it's looking like there's no general way out, as McConnell isn't even taking a hostage while his caucus filibusters and doesn't allow Democrats to raise it unilaterally.

There are ways out, they’re just varying levels of rules‐lawyering with bad optics (platinum coin) all the way up to constitutional crisis (invoking the Fourteenth).

McConnell might win this game of chicken, that’s all.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

On the other hand either way you've devoted considerable brainspace in your day to day to them so WAI

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The debt ceiling is the funniest make-believe thing that can ruin a country ever.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Think about it.

McConnell is willing to do destructive poo poo to an entire country and his tool is something that exists only in our imagination.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's awesome that people are constantly confused about which of the dozen ways our government is designed to destroy itself we're about to encounter

It's like governing by movie time bomb tropes including the part where we can make 1s on the timer stretch out for an hour

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Go print me out a debt ceiling.

You can’t. You can’t even 3D print a fake one.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You’ll never hear a cop say “I thought he had a gun in his hands but it was just a toy debt ceiling.”

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I believe I have crack pinged about the debt ceiling.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I look forward to the comedy.

That's about it. But think about it, how funny has brexit been recently? Nothing like self-inflicted wounds to have a good laugh at.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm sure omnipotent beings are cool about it when you show up to the afterlife and go "well technically."

Depending on the religion God can have a decent sense of humor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He should open up a competing factory across the street called good electric cars

A Bad Poster posted:

It's the my children have triumphed over me thing. Personally my sticking point is that while the eruv is clever as hell, I think a bit of wire is stretching the definition of "enclosed" pretty far but IANAR

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 5, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The fact that a major world religion is built on a 3,000 year tradition of barracks lawyering is one of the most convincing arguments for God's existence I've ever heard.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
At this point I welcome the USA defaulting on its debt. I think I'll do the same on my debts in solidarity

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Feels great to know that I live in an economy that at the very highest levels functions in about the same way I would if I were to quit my job and live off credit cards.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sacrist65 posted:

Approaching the "divine will of god in written form" as a contract lawyer leads to some funny poo poo.

Like the wire that makes a complete loop around Manhattan so observant jews can be outside after sundown on the sabbath but are still technically "inside".

Edit: it separates the public and non public zones:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/13/721551785/a-fishing-line-encircles-manhattan-protecting-sanctity-of-sabbath

Eruvs aren't unique to Manhattan. We have 2 in the Denver area. I can't find out anything about the one I live in other than its there because its there for the russian jewish community and so all the info is in russian, but the one near downtown was pretty easy to look up.

You are going to find them everywhere there is a jewish community, you just have to look it up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this seems fine

https://mobile.twitter.com/pitdesi/status/1445118812659933187

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is not what starwars promised with their movie titled the drone wars (yes I know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Spiderman: Far From Home tie-in went a little too far.