Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ToxicAcne posted:

Why isn't transit a bigger deal in Ontario politics considering how expensive the TTC is? The monthly pass isn't even worth it considering that you need to make like 45 trips a month to make it worthwhile.

Voters get what they* ask for**: Liberals sabotaging their own previously-approved agenda to bribe Scarberians with a boondoggle subway to win a byelection, conservative mayors tossing out viable and carefully-planned expansion plans to spend ~$2B burying an LRT in a right-of-way that is almost 100 loving meters wide at points, spending $80M to build a giant loving train station with 1000 parking spots in the middle of an empty field in the goddamn green belt (and including a literal bike shed for imaginary masochists), etc. etc.

Speaking of that last point, this video is a nice summary of how lovely GTA transit is. Someone in the comments mentioned that the Bloomington GO is too far from any sewer systems so they have water and waste trucked in and out. Just loving lmao if that's true about a LEED Gold certified building.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Sigh.... I should have guessed. But poo poo even suburbanites around Montreal and Vancouver aren't even this reactionary.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also that video might be mistaken or out of date because it seems like GO Transit runs regular service to Brampton in addition to on the Lakeshore line, in case you want to go to Brampton. There are a whopping 8 trains per day going all the way to Kitchener, even.

I almost fondly remember the Greyhound that ran from Waterloo to Toronto - on a good day (outside of rush hour) in about 90 minutes. More expensive than the student bus that still exists but was then an awful surplus school bus with no seat belts. The GO train takes over 2 hours from Kitchener, and according to google is slower than taking the GO bus from Kitchener to Brampton (???).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
might be lack of priority on the line past brampton. cn does not give a gently caress about commuter/passenger rail service and anything that isn't on metrolinx owned rail has to defer to them so freight will get priority

the metrolinx owned portion of that route from mount pleasant to union takes like 45 min

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
freight gets priority since braking and accelerating a hundred wagons of freight is a lot harder than doing the same for passenger trains that have like three wagons, so it makes sense

of course that just means there should be more passenger-only rail

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Brian Pallister is resigning as an mla

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

infernal machines posted:

might be lack of priority on the line past brampton. cn does not give a gently caress about commuter/passenger rail service and anything that isn't on metrolinx owned rail has to defer to them so freight will get priority

the metrolinx owned portion of that route from mount pleasant to union takes like 45 min

Yeah I take it from Malton and I get to union in like 25 minutes.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

i was advocating a war on cars..

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pamela Springstein posted:

lmao he's actually going to move to costa rica isn't he

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mila kunis posted:

most voters have suburban car brain i assume

Driving a car in the suburban GTA is even worse!

It's incredible how bad transportation can be where half the land is road.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Hamilton is the worst for opposition to anything but the shittiest possible public transit. Our main roads have been 5 lane one-way highways with timed lights through the city for basically forever, and nothing pisses off someone from Ancaster or Dundas than the thought that they might have to hit a single red light or any amount of traffic whatsoever going through downtown.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'd like to take a moment to remind everyone about the guy :qq:ing over the thought of a pedestrian crossing on a road in downtown winnipeg

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Hamilton is the worst for opposition to anything but the shittiest possible public transit. Our main roads have been 5 lane one-way highways with timed lights through the city for basically forever, and nothing pisses off someone from Ancaster or Dundas than the thought that they might have to hit a single red light or any amount of traffic whatsoever going through downtown.

Ancaster and Dundas people loving suck and deserve to be stuck in gridlock forever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oooh look at me I'm from Ancaster I'm so great look at me spending my entire life driving either the 403 or the Linc and once in a while having the energy to go to Cineplex to watch a movie while eating a garbage personal pizza from the in theater Pizza Pizza. My street is named after a stupid flower that doesn't even grow here. I'm better than you.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

lmao he's actually going to move to costa rica isn't he

Wonder if he's in the Pandora Papers

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wonder if he's in the Pandora Papers

a tally of all of the countless plagues and strife on the world. but left at the very bottom only a dope remained

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Ancaster and Dundas people loving suck and deserve to be stuck in gridlock forever.

Wow thanks. I’m a lifetime HSR rider y’know.

Also thankfully LRT is gonna make the city unfuck King/Main a little bit at least.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Arivia posted:

Wow thanks. I’m a lifetime HSR rider y’know.

Also thankfully LRT is gonna make the city unfuck King/Main a little bit at least.

It blows my mind that those have to be GO FAST highways through the city when cannon and wilson are RIGHT THERE, or hell, charlton and burlington.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pamela Springstein posted:

(PC - Puntarenas)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Voting in the Edmonton municipal election sucks right now, at least for council. There's a handful of really good progressive candidates in my ward, and I'm worried they'll all split the votes and some conservative dingus will get in.

I'm probably voting for the woman who wants to make transit fares free, since that's an amazing position to take. So many others want to just reduce the fares, which is pretty much the same as not doing anything.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Voting in the Edmonton municipal election sucks right now, at least for council. There's a handful of really good progressive candidates in my ward, and I'm worried they'll all split the votes and some conservative dingus will get in.

I'm probably voting for the woman who wants to make transit fares free, since that's an amazing position to take. So many others want to just reduce the fares, which is pretty much the same as not doing anything.
Man, you got someone who wants to make transit free? Lucky. I'm having to decide who has the best chance of being elected who isn't Tony Caterina, between about five reasonable progressive candidates.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
For all the talk about political entryism in Canadian politics, shouldn't the focus for these orgs be on municipal and to a lesser degree provincial elections? That's where the issues that affect people's daily lives and where there'd be less resistance by entrenched forces.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
municipal politics in many places are absolutely contended by entrenched powers, it's just that they aren't political parties or candidates - but police forces, realtor associations, real estate developers, and 'small business' advocates.

running for mayor on a platform of sustainable health care for addicts, raising property taxes on real estate prospectors, and reviewing/re-orienting police will absolutely make for a good candidate, but they'll have their image assassinated by local powerbrokers in every corner.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Rockstar Massacre posted:

municipal politics in many places are absolutely contended by entrenched powers, it's just that they aren't political parties or candidates - but police forces, realtor associations, real estate developers, and 'small business' advocates.

running for mayor on a platform of sustainable health care for addicts, raising property taxes on real estate prospectors, and reviewing/re-orienting police will absolutely make for a good candidate, but they'll have their image assassinated by local powerbrokers in every corner.

I agree with that but you can at least start with some good city councilors no?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rockstar Massacre posted:

believe it or not you're actually being too generous here with the broad list of entrenched interests

there was a study 5ish years ago that showed that real estate developers had paid for over 50% of all successful city council campaigns in the province of Ontario, and that getting donations from developers virtually guaranteed that a candidate would win their seat. the sums needed to win election to city council are so minuscule (like literally a few thousand dollars) that real estate developers just buy every city council everywhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the roi on that must be incredible.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the flip side is much like the federal elections you only need to mobilize a small percentage of the electorate to win. turnout in municipal elections is hilariously low, but at that level it's still going to take a lot of work to canvass and run a campaign that can overcome developer interests.

there's always going to be a poison pill to swallow with these things though. chances are a winning coalition at the municipal level requires aligning with various NIMBY activist groups since they're highly motivated, generally well-funded, and sometimes well organized.

still I've seen this work out where in pickering city council voted down modifying ward boundaries (after paying some consulting company to come up with some ideas), which hadn't been changes since the 1970s, because any boundary change would have thrown several councilors into wards full of people who hate them for their pro-airport stance. most people in the city don't pay attention to what council does, but one group got in contact with a retired engineer who got was steamed about the issue, who organized his whole village of 400 people, which then got in contact with an activist group in the south of pickering that had been organized around the amazon development in some wetlands that services a major suburb and so on and suddenly council was forced to reconsider the issue and had to vote to change the ward boundaries.

you can look at the outcome of all this and say none of this matters, and that's probably true, but these are the kinds of small political victories you take when you're engaged in municipal politics these days.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Oct 5, 2021

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

O'Toole loves to show how he wears a mask in photo ops but I bet the moment he gets in power he'll never wear one again

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Municipal politics is a dead end since as soon as a municipality starts to show any sort of progress they will just be dissolved by the province one way or another

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Canada must have one of the shittiest federal constitutions in the western world. So many of our problems come from it yet changing it is basically impossible.

I swear it's only the US that is worse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

i see you've discovered the basis of canadian exceptionalism

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Today starts the "pretty please follow the rules" restrictions for Southern Manitoba. I'm sure we will be juuuuust fine now that we politely asked!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ToxicAcne posted:

Canada must have one of the shittiest federal constitutions in the western world. So many of our problems come from it yet changing it is basically impossible.

Britain and France seem pretty bad too, but I admit to only a cursory knowledge

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
canada's constitution may have problems, but it's pretty mutable. most countries have new or pretty flexible constitutions because they keep getting overthrown for some reason

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Britain and France seem pretty bad too, but I admit to only a cursory knowledge

I mean, Britain doesn't even have a written constitution, it's just a patchwork of different laws that were Frankensteined together over hundreds of years, so yeah, it probably is worse than the Canadian constitution

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Dreylad posted:

canada's constitution may have problems, but it's pretty mutable. most countries have new or pretty flexible constitutions because they keep getting overthrown for some reason

seems like an in theory vs in practice thing though.

The charter seems pretty decent minus weird poo poo like the notwithstanding clause. All the wacky pre-charter poo poo is where most of the bad structural stuff is, right? Can that stuff still be overridden by just a normal act of parliament or did the 1982 constitution make that impossible?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Venomous posted:

I mean, Britain doesn't even have a written constitution, it's just a patchwork of different laws that were Frankensteined together over hundreds of years, so yeah, it probably is worse than the Canadian constitution

Most of the Canadian constitution is the same (and i think most of the British constitution is also part of the Canadian constitution).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

enki42 posted:

Most of the Canadian constitution is the same (and i think most of the British constitution is also part of the Canadian constitution).

One of my friends was studying law and would tell me about how much of Canadian law cited events in Britain as precedent. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it was like that all the way to the top.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, until 1982 we had to go ask the British parliament to make changes to our constitution for us. It's only recently that there's zero legal ties between the countries (minus the old lady technically in charge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Sigh.... I should have guessed. But poo poo even suburbanites around Montreal and Vancouver aren't even this reactionary.

how is montreal for suburban public transit connectivity and cycling infrastructure, does anyone itt know