Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

The politics of Ker-blam are loving horrifying.

Definitely right up there with "don't take your meds" from In the Forest of the Night, which was somehow seven loving years ago and I'm older than dirt.

It is sometimes frightening to realize that the writers need somebody else in the room to tell them these things were bad ideas. It's like needing to be reminded that "hey, the twist is that Adolf Hitler is the GOOD GUY" isn't a good idea at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Narsham posted:

It is sometimes frightening to realize that the writers need somebody else in the room to tell them these things were bad ideas. It's like needing to be reminded that "hey, the twist is that Adolf Hitler is the GOOD GUY" isn't a good idea at all.

That's the problem with the "showrunner as auteur" formula DW currently uses. There's nobody to tell Chibnall that his ideas are questionable, horrible, or just plain bad, because he's the boss. Even if his producer says "steady on", he can just shoot it down. The only people that might say something would be the BBC, and they clearly don't give a poo poo what they put on TV anymore in terms of quality, so they're not going to say anything unless it clearly opens them up to legal action or something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It's all the more annoying because it could have been fixed so easily. Have the AI refuse to take a human life, or as suggested pretend to take a human life but teleport them away, and it gives it the moral high ground.

Suddenly the ending would make sense, and there'd be enough wiggle-room to have the ending of 'Well, our Amazon analogue is pretty evil, but they've learned some important lessons today about being human from their own creation'.

But no.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's the problem with the "showrunner as auteur" formula DW currently uses. There's nobody to tell Chibnall that his ideas are questionable, horrible, or just plain bad, because he's the boss. Even if his producer says "steady on", he can just shoot it down. The only people that might say something would be the BBC, and they clearly don't give a poo poo what they put on TV anymore in terms of quality, so they're not going to say anything unless it clearly opens them up to legal action or something.

I think you're making the mistake of assuming that the people at Chibnal's level, or higher, would have a problem with Kerblam!.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Payndz posted:

Jesus, seven years since 'Deep Breath' and 'Robot of Sherwood' and 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night' and Moffat thinking that turning the dead Brig into a Cyberman and then exploding him was a great tribute to the character. What a shitshow of a season. (At least we got 'Flatline' out of it.)

I really liked in Deep Breath how Capaldi took a quiet moment to pour himself a glass of whiskey and reflect on what he was about to do at the very start of his final confrontation with the robot. Nice moment for a new doctor that can be unpacked a lot of different ways.

I hope they fix this show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Payndz posted:

Jesus, seven years since 'Deep Breath' and 'Robot of Sherwood' and 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night' and Moffat thinking that turning the dead Brig into a Cyberman and then exploding him was a great tribute to the character. What a shitshow of a season. (At least we got 'Flatline' out of it.)

Kill the Moon and Deep Breath both rule and so does Mummy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
After Kerblam and Praxeus I'm dreading any future scripts from McTighe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seems like the solution there would be to HIRE JAMIE MATHIESON TO WRITE MORE EPISODES OF WHO! :argh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill the Moon and Deep Breath both rule and so does Mummy.
'Deep Breath' was okay once they got to the fireworks factory restaurant, it was all the stupid unfunny wackadoodle poo poo before it that I hated. 'Kill The Moon' is irredeemable, though.

Just realised Capaldi's first season was seven years ago, not six. JFC.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The script and what was filmed for Kill the Moon was a lot longer than what was broadcast, according to Tony Osoba. So I’m prepared to give it some benefit of the doubt that it could have been better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, first half of Deep Breath I was deeply concerned because it was NOT going well. Then they got to the restaurant and everything from that point on just took an immediately jump up in quality.

I like Robot of Sherwood! Yeah it's goofy and silly and a little too over-the-top, but I enjoyed that :)

Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline are both incredible, but bookmarked by two particularly bad episodes. Then Dark Water follows up on that which is fantastic, followed by Death in Heaven which is very good but has a very odd conclusion with some particularly weird decisions like the Cyber-Brig.

Anyway I posted all that so I'd have an excuse to post this:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

It's easy to get confused, but his name is actually Keir, not Ker-blam.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Seems like the solution there would be to HIRE JAMIE MATHIESON TO WRITE MORE EPISODES OF WHO! :argh:

Oxygen is one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever written.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LividLiquid posted:

Definitely right up there with "don't take your meds" from In the Forest of the Night, which was somehow seven loving years ago and I'm older than dirt.

Why the hell did the Doctor just straight up kill the dude? Could've just had the delivery bots deliver to themselves and that's it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:toot:

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1444983988754472964

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
A lot of the chibnal era is a bit... morally peculiar... but i don't know how much of it is intentional and how much is just general shoddiness from the writer/showrunners.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Narsham posted:

Oxygen is one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever written.

I forgot about this episode! drat I’m going to watch it tomorrow. I might have a little binge watch of dr who.

Can anyone list some of the best episodes? I think mostly because it was the first “modern” dr who I watched and got me back into it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BIgDevine posted:

I forgot about this episode! drat I’m going to watch it tomorrow. I might have a little binge watch of dr who.

Can anyone list some of the best episodes? I think mostly because it was the first “modern” dr who I watched and got me back into it

Here's a list of my personal favorite from the revival era on, obviously there's no such thing as a consensus view because Doctor Who fans can't agree on anything, but these are mine:

This is a VERY condensed list:

Dalek (9), Bad Wolf (9), Army of Ghosts (10), Blink (10), Waters of Mars (10), The Eleventh Hour (11), Vincent & The Doctor (11), The Day of the Doctor (10 & 11), Mummy on the Orient Express (12), Flatline (12), Oxygen (12), World Enough and Time (12), The Woman Who Fell to Earth (13), It Takes You Away (13)

This is a wider ranging list:

9th Doctor: Rose, Dalek, Father's Day, Bad Wolf & The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor: School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, Army of Ghosts, Doomsday, Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Waters of Mars
11th Doctor: The Eleventh Hour, Amy's Choice, Vincent & the Doctor, The Lodger, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People, The Girl Who Waited, The God Complex, The Crimson Horror, The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor: Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, Dark Water, Last Christmas, Heaven Sent, Oxygen, Extremis (the two follow-ups not so much), World Enough and Time, The Doctor Falls, Twice Upon a Time
13th Doctor: The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, It Takes You Away, Resolution, Spyfall (part 1), Fugitive of the Judoon, The Haunting of Villa Diodati

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Why the hell did the Doctor just straight up kill the dude? Could've just had the delivery bots deliver to themselves and that's it.
Right?! What I really want from Doctor who is the following:

"Oh no, X!"

Doctor does Thing in background that's confusing to viewer.

This is a morally ambiguous situation! We have to do either Y or Z about X and both options are morally awful!

Doctor continues doing Thing as companions weigh the options.

Doctor makes a big discovery about Thing, bringing it to the attention to the companions, runs somewhere and does something clever, her theme music plays (!), and it turns out Thing was the key to a third choice about X that's a net good for everybody.

Wrap up, credits, Next time on...

And this happens very little in the Chibnall era, so between this, wasting Jodie Whittaker, and The Timeless Child, I've been a very sad Whovian of late.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still bewildered that Revolution of the Daleks didn't open with Jack discovering that the Doctor could have escaped at ANY TIME and has basically been using the prison as a place to do some thinking and is just casually leaving her cell whenever she feels like it, solving problems, befriending prisoners and guards alike (and helping them with personal problems and teaching them to grow as people), teaching the Judoon to play snap etc. Jack shows up and she basically goes,"Ahhhh jeez, well I can't just let you stay here so I guess I have to escape now" and just walks out the front door.

Either that or she should have been pulling a Hogan's Heroes PURELY because she really digs Hogan's Heroes and thought it would be fun to do that for a couple decades before bouncing to rejoin Yaz, Ryan and Graham.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My memory of that moment is fuzzy enough to have been thoroughly replaced by what you just said so thanks, that was a really classic Doctor moment for 13.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone in Cardiff placed a £10,000 bet on the next Doctor and the bookies have now stopped taking bets.

The bet was on Olly Alexander

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Going back to a white guy would feel kinda regressive

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a list of my personal favorite from the revival era on, obviously there's no such thing as a consensus view because Doctor Who fans can't agree on anything, but these are mine:

This is a VERY condensed list:

Dalek (9), Bad Wolf (9), Army of Ghosts (10), Blink (10), Waters of Mars (10), The Eleventh Hour (11), Vincent & The Doctor (11), The Day of the Doctor (10 & 11), Mummy on the Orient Express (12), Flatline (12), Oxygen (12), World Enough and Time (12), The Woman Who Fell to Earth (13), It Takes You Away (13)

This is a wider ranging list:

9th Doctor: Rose, Dalek, Father's Day, Bad Wolf & The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor: School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, Army of Ghosts, Doomsday, Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Waters of Mars
11th Doctor: The Eleventh Hour, Amy's Choice, Vincent & the Doctor, The Lodger, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People, The Girl Who Waited, The God Complex, The Crimson Horror, The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor: Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, Dark Water, Last Christmas, Heaven Sent, Oxygen, Extremis (the two follow-ups not so much), World Enough and Time, The Doctor Falls, Twice Upon a Time
13th Doctor: The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, It Takes You Away, Resolution, Spyfall (part 1), Fugitive of the Judoon, The Haunting of Villa Diodati

Thanks a lot man I gafs more than I expected so ok appreciate that. Give your condensed list a watch today while I’m working from home

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Going back to a white guy would feel kinda regressive

Yeah, I don't think Russell T Davies, of all people, is going to go that route. Bold bet but probably not a good one.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I don't think Russell T Davies, of all people, is going to go that route. Bold bet but probably not a good one.

I wonder is that a racist thing to do tho? Not picking a white guy because you may look regressive???

How about picking the best person for the job? I’d like idris Elba tho if am honest

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I know they finally cast him in a terrible guest role recently, but Nathan Stewart-Jarrett has been top of my Doctor casting list for ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Now that they're finally letting people keep their natural accents, I'd love for it to be someone from Ireland, but it's just because some of the brogues remind me of family. I think I'm going to refrain from picturing actors in the role, though, because really what I want is for them to pick somebody that I've never heard of and then get blown away when they take over the role. :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bicyclops posted:

Now that they're finally letting people keep their natural accents, I'd love for it to be someone from Ireland, but it's just because some of the brogues remind me of family. I think I'm going to refrain from picturing actors in the role, though, because really what I want is for them to pick somebody that I've never heard of and then get blown away when they take over the role. :)
Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eccleston, Capaldi, and Whittaker, honestly. Remember the endless ‘haha Doctor Who is gonna be all swears now they’ve got Capaldi’ takes when he was announced?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Payndz posted:

Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.

Yeah, fair enough, if they're going with a familiar showrunner, they're probably going to go with a familiar face too.

I wasn't around for Davison's pre-Doctor Who stuff, obviously, but Capaldi feels like he was probably the most well-known? Whitaker was certainly a known quantity and obviously Eccleston has done a ton of work, but Peter Capaldi feels like he's been in everything for about a decade.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Eccleston, Capaldi, and Whittaker, honestly. Remember the endless ‘haha Doctor Who is gonna be all swears now they’ve got Capaldi’ takes when he was announced?

I definitely remember people using some variant of "The Doctor says 'fuckity-bye'" in previous DW threads, to the point where it transcended being simply annoying, and became some kind of cosmic harbinger of un-funniness :v:

E: also I feel like it's a three-way tie as to whether RTD decides to cast whoever he wants as the Doctor, be that a white hetero man or not; the BBC pressures him to return to "safer" ground by casting a telegenic white male in hopes of recapturing the glory days of Tennant's run; or the BBC just outright begs him to bring Tennant back (and probably Billie Piper too, since she's already done some interviews where she's talked about wanting to revisit the character of Rose, so why not. Everything old is new again).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 5, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Russell T. Davies: Now, I want to warn everyone before I make this announcement that the next Doctor is indeed another white man, but trust me when I tell you that we couldn't pass up this opportunity. I'm pleased to announce that the Fourteenth Doctor will be none other than... Patrick Troughton! Yes, I know Mr. Troughton has been "missing" for awhile, but our good friend Phillip Morris was able to recover him from a cannister in Nigeria.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Lydia West for the Doctor, IMO. :colbert:

Although, in all seriousness, I do worry about casting people who aren’t white men as the Doctor becoming a tickbox thing that happens every thirty years, like how the Tories let a woman be party leader every so often just to get Feminism Points from idiots.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bicyclops posted:

Russell T. Davies: Now, I want to warn everyone before I make this announcement that the next Doctor is indeed another white man, but trust me when I tell you that we couldn't pass up this opportunity. I'm pleased to announce that the Fourteenth Doctor will be none other than... Patrick Troughton! Yes, I know Mr. Troughton has been "missing" for awhile, but our good friend Phillip Morris was able to recover him from a cannister in Nigeria.
[drums steepled fingers together, smiles] Ah... yes... my word, Jamie, how you've aged!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BIgDevine posted:

I wonder is that a racist thing to do tho? Not picking a white guy because you may look regressive???

How about picking the best person for the job? I’d like idris Elba tho if am honest

BIgDevine posted:

I’m not to keen on the female doctor I think she tries to hard. My favourite episode tho was heaven sent. The idea of being in endless, perpetual danger, ground hog day of horror movies

Seeing a bit of a trend

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The next Acceptable Minority is Indian Man, as observed by the casting of the Master for the last couple of incarnations

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The next Acceptable Minority is Indian Man, as observed by the casting of the Master for the last couple of incarnations

Still blows my mind that Chibnall thought the Doctor weaponizing the Master's skin color against him by leaving him stranded in Nazi Germany without his holographic disguise was a good and cool thing to do

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

BIgDevine posted:

not much left in the budget after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Still blows my mind that Chibnall thought the Doctor weaponizing the Master's skin color against him by leaving him stranded in Nazi Germany without his holographic disguise was a good and cool thing to do

I dunno, it feels weirder when you're dealing with an immortal psychopathic shapeshifting time travelling immortal alien cannibal. Would it be so bad if the Master was killed by racists?

Like, the Master straight up deserves to die, he's not remotely sympathetic, reasonable or likeable. I don't feel bad if fash kills fash tbh.