Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
How many more days are they gonna milk this Trudeau vacation thing for? You’d think he personally pissed on a residential school mass grave before jetting off to ~Tofino~ (which sounds like it could be an exotic, sun-drenched Spanish island, if you don’t already know it’s in BC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
However many days until the next election, if another blackface picture doesn't turn up, or if he somehow wears racist socks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Dirty Dish posted:

How many more days are they gonna milk this Trudeau vacation thing for? You’d think he personally pissed on a residential school mass grave before jetting off to ~Tofino~ (which sounds like it could be an exotic, sun-drenched Spanish island, if you don’t already know it’s in BC)

I would honestly be less mad if he was somewhere cooler like that. He was literally in BC and couldn't be bothered to do anything for indigenous people on the day that he himself proposed specifically for that occasion. Maybe a hot take but I think our boy is getting ready to step down. He didn't just miss a political slam dunk, he passed it to the other team mid-air. Maybe the rock-throwing and election results just broke him.

Starting a 4-year minority government with no mandate and 36% approval (before the Tofino thing) is pretty loving grim. But maybe I'm wrong and he'll pull a Kathleen Wynne and take the whole party down with him.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pierre took a walk in the snow, Justin took a walk on the beach has a certain poetry to it

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Starks posted:

I would honestly be less mad if he was somewhere cooler like that. He was literally in BC and couldn't be bothered to do anything for indigenous people on the day that he himself proposed specifically for that occasion. Maybe a hot take but I think our boy is getting ready to step down. He didn't just miss a political slam dunk, he passed it to the other team mid-air. Maybe the rock-throwing and election results just broke him.

Starting a 4-year minority government with no mandate and 36% approval (before the Tofino thing) is pretty loving grim. But maybe I'm wrong and he'll pull a Kathleen Wynne and take the whole party down with him.

He still just won an election, and as bad optics as this recent PR error has been, he's had worse and still won multiple elections afterwards. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Honestly, I think most of our MPs will be staying put for the next 4 years. Canadian's don't want another election and the MP's should all know that very clearly. I don't think the Cons will try a vote of no-confidence unless something they think the NDP would get onboard with them for it comes up, and that's going to be a very, very difficult task to find.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

He still just won an election, and as bad optics as this recent PR error has been, he's had worse and still won multiple elections afterwards. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Honestly, I think most of our MPs will be staying put for the next 4 years. Canadian's don't want another election and the MP's should all know that very clearly. I don't think the Cons will try a vote of no-confidence unless something they think the NDP would get onboard with them for it comes up, and that's going to be a very, very difficult task to find.

I didn’t mean that he would be forced out and I think he could easily win again in 4 years if he tried. I’m speculating that he wants to step down. But maybe I just can’t wrap my head around the psychosis that you need to have to want to be a politician.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Starks posted:

I didn’t mean that he would be forced out and I think he could easily win again in 4 years if he tried. I’m speculating that he wants to step down. But maybe I just can’t wrap my head around the psychosis that you need to have to want to be a politician.

Definitely the latter. Trudeau's been handed the political high-life on a platter for his entire life, being PM is the peak achievement of the circle he grew up in and there's no way he drops it without being forced to. I don't think he's even a particularly egregious case of "power corrupts", it just does for everyone, and doubly so for anyone who was born into the political circle.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Still though, his reputation comes off worse and worse with every election. He's probably still popular enough he can pull off having a mostly positive legacy (among the Liberal elite anyway) and still be political royalty in Canada as long as he wants. I'm not so sure how true that is if he runs in 2025 or whatever.

The smart thing to do would be to emulate his dad and do something big and flashy this term and cement his reputation. (I suppose that's tough in a minority government though)

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

He's just hoping for a big post-pandemic boom he can take credit for in the next 3 years. If that happens he'll be PM as long as he wants, if there's no recovery he'll retire in 4 years and live large.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Trapick posted:

big post-pandemic boom

This is why the Liberals won't do poo poo to fix housing in the country.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I'm betting either the tides of politics in Canada, or whatever happens globally over the next few years will oust Trudeau next election.

Best case scenario for him we get a brief post-pandemic boom as tourism and production returns to closer to norm. But the whole planet just dumped trillions into a fire pit, one way or another that bill is going to be paid, and the Liberals will be the ones who were in charge here up to that point. Worst case scenario China decides to invade Taiwan in the very near future and who the hell knows what happens, except that it will totally up-end the current political landscape.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

China isn't doing poo poo. You people are crazy fantasists.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I did say that was a worst case scenario. China would be real stupid to do it, but then so was Japan when it attacked the US in 1941. China's at least a bit smarter than Imperial Japan in that they're threatening an ally of the US not the US itself, it's an ally on the other side of the planet, the US is openly pulling back from the world stage, and the US is currently very busy with internal political strife.

But even with all those "pros", war would mean a massive hit to China's economy, even if the US decided to not lift a finger militarily. The thing is, China is a ticking demographic timebomb regardless of what happens. They're needing to change the global political landscape somehow or they are very likely to rip themselves apart in a few decades. And the later they push that the higher the risk is that they blow up anyways. So they're caught between a rock and a very hard place, and nations act stupid even at the best of times. I'm not going to say war is certain by any means, but it's far from impossible.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

China isn't doing poo poo. You people are crazy fantasists.

There is a general consensus that China has peaked and is headed down. That makes them more dangerous because countries that have peaked need distractions over economic issues or just to try and prove themselves.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Orthanc6 posted:

I did say that was a worst case scenario. China would be real stupid to do it, but then so was Japan when it attacked the US in 1941. China's at least a bit smarter than Imperial Japan in that they're threatening an ally of the US not the US itself, it's an ally on the other side of the planet, the US is openly pulling back from the world stage, and the US is currently very busy with internal political strife.

But even with all those "pros", war would mean a massive hit to China's economy, even if the US decided to not lift a finger militarily. The thing is, China is a ticking demographic timebomb regardless of what happens. They're needing to change the global political landscape somehow or they are very likely to rip themselves apart in a few decades. And the later they push that the higher the risk is that they blow up anyways. So they're caught between a rock and a very hard place, and nations act stupid even at the best of times. I'm not going to say war is certain by any means, but it's far from impossible.

Rofl You loving psychopath

They are in ascent for the past 3 decades and just managed to beat a pandemic that's killed 5 million abroad. China is in no way at risk, they've hit the kind of stride the US had in the 50s.

The real risk is the US starting something.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Hamelekim posted:

There is a general consensus that China has peaked and is headed down. That makes them more dangerous because countries that have peaked need distractions over economic issues or just to try and prove themselves.

What a loving joke. That's what the west says while desperately pretending that doesn't apply to us.

A command economy is not a market one, and China is able and currently controlling their economy in ways we wish we could. Western based watchers really need to stop predicting there is no basis to imagine their economy will follow our trajectory or forecasts in any way.

this isn't what people think is true, this is what politicians want to say is true because otherwise they have to admit weakness in the face of a new rising power.

I can understand the distaste at the Chinese methods of coercion, though I maintain our own are no better, just better masked. But this is desperation. Unless we properly assess our position in this too, we will be unable to make moves that benefit us. we will let our leaders delude us into thinking the problems we face will solve themselves

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man you really do love China.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Must we link to headlines from 6 years ago saying "china is on the decline"?
Any second now they're really going to decline.

Just wait.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh cool we're doing this again.

Anyways it's Tuesday so it's Covid update day in Alberta. Will we see Hinshaw back or will the Premier Kenney Comedy Power Hour be on again?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Man you really do love China.

nah just hate the anglo sphere

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Anglophobia

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just out of curiosity, considering that China is an(?) order of magnitude older than the US or Canada, but how do you tell a country is on the decline rather than just hitting a rough patch? And does the length of time for it to be a decline change based on the age of the country?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Ontario is starting rapid test screening for unvaccinated kids (in high-spread areas only though):

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000924/targeted-covid-19-rapid-antigen-screening-to-keep-students-safe

Depending on how they define a high-spread area and how the tests are distributed, seems like a good step. They should keep Doug Ford locked up and not saying anything more often.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, considering that China is an(?) order of magnitude older than the US or Canada, but how do you tell a country is on the decline rather than just hitting a rough patch? And does the length of time for it to be a decline change based on the age of the country?

there is actually no way to know. All the FP think tanks just make up plausible poo poo to sell to politicians and influential business leaders to justify getting more funding.

We really have no idea of how it's gonna go for most countries, there's so much internal stuff we can't really assess, it's all voodoo economic bullshit.

What we can see are crises we face directly in our system and the repeated failure to address them by our leadership, but with the unspoken understanding that we can never be on the decline and on track to collapse.

Them though, that'll happen for sure don't you worry.

enki42 posted:

Ontario is starting rapid test screening for unvaccinated kids (in high-spread areas only though):

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000924/targeted-covid-19-rapid-antigen-screening-to-keep-students-safe

Depending on how they define a high-spread area and how the tests are distributed, seems like a good step. They should keep Doug Ford locked up and not saying anything more often.

has there been any justification for why we didn't just Implement mass testing at large? why not just make it easier for people to check.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

nah just hate the anglo sphere

bloc voter detected

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

bloc voter detected

If they ran outside of Quebec I would!!!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

has there been any justification for why we didn't just Implement mass testing at large? why not just make it easier for people to check.

Concerns about false positives keeping kids out of schools for areas with low case counts / vaccinated kids, which is dumb and sucks, but honestly it is really most important that this is rolled out in the bigger PHUs for elementary kids.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

enki42 posted:

Concerns about false positives keeping kids out of schools for areas with low case counts / vaccinated kids, which is dumb and sucks, but honestly it is really most important that this is rolled out in the bigger PHUs for elementary kids.

well not gonna complain about some more preventative measures but really feel like we stopped pushing for more rigorous testing which might have saved us some trouble at various points

ah well, Ontario Tories, what can you do

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

Must we link to headlines from 6 years ago saying "china is on the decline"?
Any second now they're really going to decline.

Just wait.

didn't you just see

Hamelekim posted:

There's General Consensus my son, it has already been agreed upon and decided.

No I don't find it weird that my sudden fear of China is 100% aligned with the US foreign policy shift, during a time of economic stagnation. Why would a country on the decline ever need to start conflicts, is that like a rule or something, who ever said that was true?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

A Jupiter posted:

didn't you just see

There's General Consensus my son, it has already been agreed upon and decided.

No I don't find it weird that my sudden fear of China is 100% aligned with the US foreign policy shift, during a time of economic stagnation. Why would a country on the decline ever need to start conflicts, is that like a rule or something, who ever said that was true?

The US certainly has a track record with regard to declining poll numbers but yeah, it's a weird truism thrown out by think tanks that doesn't have any particular historical basis

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

stock pile tests and wait long enough for them to start charging for it

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

There's a lot of cases where think thanks think really hard, and the conclusion they reach just happens to serve warmongers and the policy recommendations enrich international business rather than our own day to day existence.

I urge everyone to look at the media being served to us with a critical eye. If you are not in the position to make a meaningful decision regarding China (e.g. you do business in the country, you are literally a representative of Canada, or you have personal connections there), ask yourself why you are being told to make up your mind about the CCP, and why it's so urgent to paint them as the source of your declining quality of life.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1445364116143681536

Yes to:
  • His donors
  • The lobbyists
  • The insiders
gently caress you to everyone else.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yes to higher minimum wage? No? gently caress off.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Much like the 'Open for Business' stuff, this campaign has the strong undertone of 'Doug Ford: Takes Bribes.'

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
China.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

A Jupiter posted:

I urge everyone to look at the media being served to us with a critical eye. If you are not in the position to make a meaningful decision regarding China (e.g. you do business in the country, you are literally a representative of Canada, or you have personal connections there), ask yourself why you are being told to make up your mind about the CCP, and why it's so urgent to paint them as the source of your declining quality of life.

Is anyone in this thread 'painting them as the source of their declining quality of life' because personally I don't give a poo poo about China, except I hate that their gigantic fishing fleets are systematically stripping the sea of all life in the pacific

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Alctel posted:

Is anyone in this thread 'painting them as the source of their declining quality of life' because personally I don't give a poo poo about China, except I hate that their gigantic fishing fleets are systematically stripping the sea of all life in the pacific

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Alctel posted:

Chinese real-estate investment in Canada is a quality of life issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Chinese real-estate investment in Canada is a quality of life issue.

That's Transnational Capital and entirely about our policy on property ownership. It's not just Chinese money pouring in, and Chinese money is not the only thing destabilizing our housing market.

Our enemies are right here, and they control our government. Things get better when we challenge them, not when we let ourselves get distracted from the actual root of our systemic problems