Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

once you understand nocturne it becomes much easier. you will start creating plans B, C, D, E etc. without even realizing it, because the game conditioned you to do so. and also because you have more demon slots to pull those strats off with

yeah I have kinda noticed that Matador was the hardest part so far - not because he's the hardest boss but because you don't have the compendium yet, whereas once you have it, if you keep up with fusions appropriate to your level it gets easier, at least so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when they showed smt5 the game ends when the player dies, which makes me think maybe theyre going back to only saving at certain spots and the smt3 flow? idk. i want it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The hardest thing about 4 was not getting killed by your ai partner in the first two boss batyles and then not falling asleep casting meggido over and over on all constant trash mob random battles while you regain mp from walking

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nocturne at least never randomly puts you in an impossible situation like fighting Minotaur with Walter

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

When I beat Minotaur it was with Walter but only because I had a demon with Sekunda and constantly kept his hit-rate bottomed out so he missed most of his attacks, a strategy that never worked again in that game or Apocalypse for some reason

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think that's possibly the thing I like the most in the SMT/Persona games I've played so far, boosting/de-buffing hit and evade actually works and does something.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When I beat Minotaur it was with Walter but only because I had a demon with Sekunda and constantly kept his hit-rate bottomed out so he missed most of his attacks, a strategy that never worked again in that game or Apocalypse for some reason

Debuffs definitely don’t work like they do in 3. I never really messed with them in 4 but since they are so essential in 3, I’m having to retrain myself to not rely on them now that I’m playing apocalypse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I think that's possibly the thing I like the most in the SMT/Persona games I've played so far, boosting/de-buffing hit and evade actually works and does something.

Quad debilitating a boss ftw

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Buffs and debuffs were definitely still very essential when I played SMT4 Apocalypse on Apocalypse mode. Even if they get dekaja/dekunda'd that's still a turn the boss wasn't using to kill you

It looks like buffs/debuffs in SMTV have a set duration and are single target, though there certainly could be ma- versions of them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Single target debuffs probably won't make a huge difference unless there are multi-target bosses but for buffs it'll throw a v interesting wrinkle in the formula...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

Quad debilitating a boss ftw

on the other hand, Pale Rider's flunkies spamming Debilitate...

first time I tried to play this it was vanilla but I'm glad I switched to Maniax/Chronicles because the Fiends are so good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

is defeating Metatron what locks you into the True Demon Ending or is it going to meet with Lucifer after that?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

is defeating Metatron what locks you into the True Demon Ending or is it going to meet with Lucifer after that?

The latter

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

feel like im in a good rhythm now, oneshot a lot of bosses in a row. though I think that mostly is Charge being incredible lol

monk fiend was loving cool and scared the poo poo out of me when he started giving himself extra turns and using aoe hama. i mustve gotten insanely lucky in that fight, he spent over half his turns on a weak phys attack and missing and never cleared debuffs

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren:I HAVE ENTERED THE FIFTH KALPA:siren:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

detoured from the endgame to gain the ultimate magatama. Freikugel ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

detoured from the endgame to gain the ultimate magatama. Freikugel ftw

it will make the TDE boss so much easier, good job

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it will make the TDE boss so much easier, good job

I can't imagine beating him without it, especially in his last phase it's basically a race to murder him with Freikugel before his ultimate attack does a tick too much damage and kills either the MC outright or enough party death to start a death spiral

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ever since i first googled "kalpa" i've been deep diving even further. went on a similar tangent with SMT 4 looking into some demon names. this is just one of the reasons why SMT is ftw.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can't imagine beating him without it, especially in his last phase it's basically a race to murder him with Freikugel before his ultimate attack does a tick too much damage and kills either the MC outright or enough party death to start a death spiral

There’s a series on YouTube of a guy beating TDE without buffing or debuffing. It’s a fascinating series because he has to bend the SMT3 game mechanics as far as they will let him to actually complete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OWCgoEaniw

If you’ve got some time to watch, I recommend it. It’s really cool.

And on the YouTube link note…this song rips and gets me amped up for V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6cSbof7Pik

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I think it would be possible if you tune your MC to full support and fuse high lvl demons with pierce

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think it would be possible if you tune your MC to full support and fuse high lvl demons with pierce

This is what I had to do, my MC was magic focused w/o pierce (I leveled magatama to get piece to see what it did but then discarded it bc i had no physical skills lol). it took a couple hours of grinding, fusing and retuning my strat but it worked.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That’s essentially what the guy I posted did. He fused a Pierce mitama and used it to give all his demons Pierce. He also had to grind incenses to max out his demons stats.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Picked this back up after a bit of a break and beat this guy:

extremebuff posted:

feel like im in a good rhythm now, oneshot a lot of bosses in a row. though I think that mostly is Charge being incredible lol

monk fiend was loving cool and scared the poo poo out of me when he started giving himself extra turns and using aoe hama. i mustve gotten insanely lucky in that fight, he spent over half his turns on a weak phys attack and missing and never cleared debuffs

first try as well. Immediately went down into the labyrinth to place the menorah, then saw that I needed a second one to actually progress. Walk of shame back, should have paid more attention the first time I reached the pedestal...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

labyrinth of amala clear. kaz, i'm...already a demon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMTV comes out in a month.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

going full streamer mode trying to beat smt3 before then. starting a new job very soon. i still believe.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Hoipe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol the diet building is cool so far

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

:monar:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I can't believe Gozu-Tennoh is loving dead

tbh I'm extremely lost now. Walked around the world map a bunch and can't find [starting with K] prison. weak poo poo. I'll sleep on it and try again to find my way tomorrow.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hunting down the specific random brown square it wants you to find somewhere on the large brown world map with minimal direction is, uh, not the highlight of the game on the two or three times it happens

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hunting down the specific random brown square it wants you to find somewhere on the large brown world map with minimal direction is, uh, not the highlight of the game on the two or three times it happens

the locations you can enter flash red

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

smt4 was truly awful about this, thank god 4a fixed that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

smt4 was truly awful about this, thank god 4a fixed that

i remember havng to go look up a map of tokyo at least twice playin 4 because some guys like oh go to kabuki-cho or whatever and i'm just sittin there nodding like i know what that means

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Fungah! posted:

i remember havng to go look up a map of tokyo at least twice playin 4 because some guys like oh go to kabuki-cho or whatever and i'm just sittin there nodding like i know what that means

Lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah I feel like I've been around the world (get it, round) three times eyes peeled for something red but most stuff is just closed now. I thought after Thor told me "do whatever" the "not strong enough" door in the Mantra basement would open, but no, just more hints to search for a prison somewhere

Apparently a manikin is imprisoned there so my next idea is to ask around in Ginza underpass where they live

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah I feel like I've been around the world (get it, round) three times eyes peeled for something red but most stuff is just closed now. I thought after Thor told me "do whatever" the "not strong enough" door in the Mantra basement would open, but no, just more hints to search for a prison somewhere

Apparently a manikin is imprisoned there so my next idea is to ask around in Ginza underpass where they live

the gate leading east out of the Mantra HQ is the way to go if you want the prison

but be prepared for Hell Biker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

the locations you can enter flash red

That includes a bunch of stuff though including things I don't think you ever actually get to use or enter, like the weird... radio tower thing in the southwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That includes a bunch of stuff though including things I don't think you ever actually get to use or enter, like the weird... radio tower thing in the southwest

Bro that's Tokyo Tower.