Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

angry armadillo posted:

A ticket came in: Seemingly if someone creates a mailbox with the same email that was used for a Team, the Team gets deleted.

I haven't really investigated it fully, so I could be wrong, but that seems like a feature that we all asked for.

Looks like I'm gonna have fun testing this on Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah, I see you've met our "DevOps" team.
"It's in Production, you can't touch it! And QA is our Production!"

It was more about staying the gently caress away from something so old.

Our "also prod", in some cases, is dev.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone has a dev environment, it just happens to also be the prod environment for a lot of orgs :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

It was more about staying the gently caress away from something so old.

Our "also prod", in some cases, is dev.

Oh yeah, for sure. Not saying you were in the wrong. Just mostly lamenting at my situation. There's definitely some nuance between "so old don't touch, move off" and "don't touch, we're too incompetent."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wibla posted:

Everyone has a dev environment, it just happens to also be the prod environment for a lot of orgs :v:

I love passive aggressively berating clients for not having any kind of testing environment. "Let us know when your in house dev has completed their testing of this change" is a fun one to use

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Nothing says "production" like "proof-of-concept".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

D34THROW posted:

:what: You would think that you would get some sort of warning that it already exists? Granted, I'm not at all familiar with Teams but...that doesn't exactly seem like an edge case Microsoft couldn't have anticipated.

yeah, that's why I think I'm wrong - A user created the team, another dude in our team created the email and he was not working today, I just picked up the phone to "ahhh my team has gone" and restored it

duffmensch posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have fun testing this on Monday
Let me know how it goes, it would be interesting to hear what happens

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

angry armadillo posted:

yeah, that's why I think I'm wrong - A user created the team, another dude in our team created the email and he was not working today, I just picked up the phone to "ahhh my team has gone" and restored it

Let me know how it goes, it would be interesting to hear what happens

If it’s like my users in HR, one of the owners of the team meant to leave the group and instead deleted it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I officially accepted the new position last Friday.

Helpdesk is officially in the rearview mirror.

I took myself out of the call queue this morning and I'm spending the next two weeks training my replacement.

What a cool feeling :unsmith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's loving great. Congrats!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

I took myself out of the call queue this morning and I'm spending the next two weeks training my replacement.

Congrats!!! Living the dream 😂

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats, life in IT gets marginally better when you no longer are in helpdesk.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

larchesdanrew posted:

HUZZAH!

Also grats to everyone who doesn't work for Facebook today.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 4, 2021

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

larchesdanrew posted:

Congrats!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
pour a drink for the network operations centre at Facebook

per this message on NANOG, someone tried to drop one BGP route, dropped all of them, and everything else broke as a consequence

gossip that employee badges to get into the buildings aren't working either

a completely normal IT fuckup, and aren't we all glad we didn't pull that one

I'm seeing Twitter and Discord slow down too, for unknown reasons - but probably something to do with this. So if someone calls up ":kingsley: THE INTERNET IS DOWN!!! :kingsley:" now you know

divabot fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 4, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

divabot posted:

per this message on NANOG, someone tried to drop one BGP route, dropped all of them, and everything else broke as a consequence

gossip that employee badges to get into the buildings aren't working either

a completely normal IT fuckup, and aren't we all glad we didn't pull that one

I'm seeing Twitter and Discord slow down too, for unknown reasons - but probably something to do with this. So if someone calls up ":kingsley: THE INTERNET IS DOWN!!! :kingsley:" now you know

Apparently the facebook.com domain is showing as available to buy/squat too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the facebook.com domain is showing as available to buy/squat too.

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1445079948432117778

Nothing more to say other than :lol:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

divabot posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress facebook

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress facebook

Countercounterpoint: their NOC is pretty nice based off my limited interactions with them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rip to the guys and gals in the trenches but gently caress Facebook as a company

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

Congrats! :yotj:

Renegret posted:

Countercounterpoint: their NOC is pretty nice based off my limited interactions with them.
Countercountercounterpoint: their SPF records for @fb.com were dogshit and made my life hell in $CLIENT's SOC. All of the phishing... :negative:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Hello everyone, I have what I think is a remnant of Print Nightmare giving my entire company a nightmare, and I've come for help.

First, grats Larches, get it!

Now, we have a client that does a lot of sharing of USB label printers. These are very specific label printers that interface with very specific medical software, of course. Since Print Nightmare, my company has adopted a standard process ripped wholesale off r/sysadmin that entails disallowing the spooler to accept client connections and only allowing Point and Print to the server. Not the ultimate fix, but keeps people printing for now. Unfortunately, this locks computers out of sharing over network via USB.

My technical escalation created another OU for 'printer hosts' under Desktops and broke inheritance. This allowed for an HP printer to be shared over USB, but not the label printers. He was unable to add security permissions to share the label printers.

I added the computers hosting the label printers to the 'allowed connections' list and it took right off, they can now print.

It's after hours and no one knows that it's fixed - would that create a security concern for the computers hosting the printers? I'm a bit out of my depth and wondering if I need to break it before they notice it's working.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I don't know where else to put this. Liquids don't compress and cylinders are really strong, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/caylenb/status/1075583545446301696?s=19

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not your typical liquid cooling.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Silly Newbie posted:

I don't know where else to put this. Liquids don't compress and cylinders are really strong, right?

To compressive force, yeah, but shearing or torsional force? Someone bumps that tower in the wrong way everything's gonna explode very wetly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kurieg posted:

To compressive force, yeah, but shearing or torsional force? Someone bumps that tower in the wrong way everything's gonna explode very wetly.

if you read, there was apparently an emergency fix, but still 4 cans exploded before they fixed it.

the emergency fix involved someone flying from japan for some reason

E: sorry, 3 cans

https://twitter.com/caylenb/status/1075583909616705536

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kurieg posted:

Cylinders are pretty strong against shearing and torsion which is why they're used for cans.

But not that strong :ohdear:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RFC2324 posted:

Don't forget to airgap that thing!

The lab manager wanted ssh access to it. Why now after all this time I didn't ask.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Silly Newbie posted:

The project manager wanted psssshhh access to it. Why nowafter all this time I didn't ask.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mllaneza posted:

The lab manager wanted ssh access to it. Why now after all this time I didn't ask.

do you have an infosec department?

or at least the ability to point a nessus scanner at that thing so you can point at it and go "this is bad!!!!"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Shoulda gone with a PaaS solution
Pepsi as a Service

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Total call/ticket count from users calling about Facebook being down yesterday: 14.
Three of those were the same user who called back twice to ask if it was back up yet and if we could "expedite this."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

spankmeister posted:

Rip to the guys and gals in the trenches but gently caress Facebook as a company

That's the thing though, and this is probably a little off topic so I don't know that we should discuss it in depth, but at this point, if you work for FB and are not actively trying to find another job, you're part of the problem. Yeah, big tech is all bad, FAANG is evil, etc., but all the other parts of FAANG at least have redeeming qualities. Amazon tortures workers etc. but has revolutionized online shopping and their attitude towards customer service is one of the reasons they've been so successful, Apple runs sweatshops but makes incredible devices and has pushed the industry forward in all sorts of ways. Netflix I'm actually not sure there's much bad about, and Google is for all their faults (geo-fence warrants, China kowtowing, pay gap) still providing incredible products which until Manifest v3 is forced on us can be enjoyed mostly for free, i.e. without ads. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago maybe, you could have said FB provides a valuable service of connecting friends and family, but after all the revelations of how they don't control their platform or the ways it's misused to deceive and mislead, I don't think there's any redeeming value to the company or its "product" (the real product is you to a much vaster extent than Google), and I have no sympathy towards anyone working there.

Basically, this:

https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1445073096973582340

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sunblood posted:

Total call/ticket count from users calling about Facebook being down yesterday: 14.
Three of those were the same user who called back twice to ask if it was back up yet and if we could "expedite this."

Was it affecting production

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sunblood posted:

Reminds me of why Sky borked their entire UK network for a couple of hours and everyone rang Xbox support to get it fixed.

Why?

Well some people just used the internet for FIFA back in 2010.

And others... Sky told them it was us :negative:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Update - apparently he's now raised a support ticket directly with the supplier. This is ridiculous. How is this happening

Update update - it doesn't appear anyone's spoken to him. After his ticket raised directly with the supplier didn't get the result he wanted they closed it. And sent him a survey. Which he responded to with zeroes. So now our business partner's director is getting involved. A genuine cluster gently caress, I've never seen the like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just sack the clown at this point, it's costing too much

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I entirely agree

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This PrintNightmare mitigation is an actual loving nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MustardFacial posted:

This PrintNightmare mitigation is an actual loving nightmare.

Just an endless stream of printer tickets. Dark days.