Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

messenger and whatsapp down for like two hours the day after a whistleblower

and I was just talking with a neighbor about a joint dinner for wednesday to coordinate dishes, what am I supposed to do now, walk next door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what did the whistle get blowed on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

what did the whistle get blowed on

the regular stuff from an internal data scientist. social media is mind poison, it pumps controversial poo poo and lies in exchange for more engagement and will be the downfall of society etc etc

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
in solidarity, please do not watch any media

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Judakel posted:

in solidarity, please do not watch any media

but im only on season 12 of 17 of stargate . i need to finish this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if I post the words “there’s snakes out there this big” can you hear them being spoken in your head

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wife and I finished squid game

I thought the show was dogshit. good couple of first eps, but the plot is poo poo and the games are unfair + luck so not really fun either. the ending is one of the worst I've seen as well. My wife and I predicted literally every twist. the sin of the games basically just being luck kills the entire shows concept for me. they were always extremely unclear about the rules, what was allowed/not allowed. pretty shocked how popular this is but I'm sure it'll fade away soon.

if you enjoyed this kind of concept and would like to see it done better (imo) a prime example is the anime: Kaiji sole survivor. Another good one is the j-drama Liar Game. There's many other examples, since death game was a pretty popular manga genre for a while. I feel bad for the writers who made much more sensical games and compelling dramas than this but this one popped off.

lol at the one guy in the tviv thread who says "capitalism is the real death game" like yeah dude thats true, babby's first marxist analysis. it doesnt make this dogshit show actually enjoyable

My observation: it's interesting that everyone watching the shows imagines themselves as the contestants, when they are much more like rich bettors/ villains

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
just loving watch Kaiji its capitalist death game stuff but actually good. they make rock paper scissors into a game with deadly stakes and eventually he ends up as a debt slave in an underground city being built for the rich. it rules

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mirello posted:

My observation: it's interesting that everyone watching the shows imagines themselves as the contestants, when they are much more like rich bettors/ villains

I guess? I'll literally be in debt the rest of my life so I thought it was an interesting premise

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

also recommend Kaiji ultimate survivor, it has some really brutal capitalist realism mixed with degenerate gambling

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
the 1st season is 'ultimate survivor' and the 2nd is 'against all rules' apparently. i didnt even realize they had titles like that

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mirello posted:

pretty shocked how popular this is but I'm sure it'll fade away soon.

you know how back in day there were travellers talking about the mystical arts of the orient? then in the 90s there was 'IT'S NOT JAPANESE CARTOONS, DAD'? then you had chinese novels with stilted translations, and weeeellllll..........

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kaiji is ftw

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mirello posted:

I thought the show was dogshit. good couple of first eps, but the plot is poo poo and the games are unfair + luck so not really fun either. the ending is one of the worst I've seen as well. My wife and I predicted literally every twist. the sin of the games basically just being luck kills the entire shows concept for me. they were always extremely unclear about the rules, what was allowed/not allowed. pretty shocked how popular this is but I'm sure it'll fade away soon.

if you enjoyed this kind of concept and would like to see it done better (imo) a prime example is the anime: Kaiji sole survivor. Another good one is the j-drama Liar Game. There's many other examples, since death game was a pretty popular manga genre for a while. I feel bad for the writers who made much more sensical games and compelling dramas than this but this one popped off.

lol at the one guy in the tviv thread who says "capitalism is the real death game" like yeah dude thats true, babby's first marxist analysis. it doesnt make this dogshit show actually enjoyable

its entirely the set/design production hitting the right notes with the netflix audience

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mirello posted:

Let's give him applause for having a contrarian review!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

etalian posted:

:jerkbag:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that GoT is a pop cultural has been TV series.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Why didn't they just recast the entire Royal family from The Crown s2 or would that be a lil too on the nose

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

grrm is so loving awful that i am preemptively refusing to buy elden ring

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i don't want to jinx it, but i think it's now safe to say that the american tolkein has done it again

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

matt smith is good in mapplethorpe and some other things i saw him in and can't remember what they were. too bad he got sucked into this garbage. he's probably getting paid though so that's cool.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Why didn't they just recast the entire Royal family from The Crown s2 or would that be a lil too on the nose

lol

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

lol, calling someone's opinion contrarian is the ultimate sign that you have nothing insightful to say. suck my dick

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the funniest pop culture thing to me is rosario dawson being in a thing about opiod overperscription and she's like, married to the guy from the state where you don't get elected to the school board without pfizer's nod

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mirello posted:

lol, calling someone's opinion contrarian is the ultimate sign that you have nothing insightful to say. suck my dick

Post your wife's review

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sometimes lore is better juat left as lore

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

wait is that the guy that played the most slovenly, annoying doctor who?

lmao

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

Post your wife's review

"6.5/10. there's good parts and bad parts. the good is everyones acting is good and gets people emotional. they're pretty good at being emotionally manipulative towards the audience (she meant this as a compliment). bad is the plot lacks detail and has many holes. right now the plot only makes sense if you don't think too hard. the main guy doesn't really grow and doesn't make any difficult decisions or contribute to the plot. he just goes with the flow. Other than the second game he doesnt contribute or do anything meaningful things in the games. the ending is horrible especially him choosing the game over his daughter. didn't make sense for his character. overall I enjoyed it while watching and it kept my attention and made me want to keep watching"

- her, lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mirello posted:

It's only a valid contrarian review if you write a SMG like essay that deconstructs the popular beloved show.

ideally link the show to Zizek quotes for CSPAM bonus points.

Lib and let die posted:

the funniest pop culture thing to me is rosario dawson being in a thing about opiod overperscription and she's like, married to the guy from the state where you don't get elected to the school board without pfizer's nod

She also probably banged Eric Andre and somehow survived the experience.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lib and let die posted:

wait is that the guy that played the most slovenly, annoying doctor who?

lmao
He played real-life supernatural horror Prince Philip, so he seems like a pretty good fit for playing a GoT royal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mirello posted:

wife and I finished squid game ...the games are unfair + luck....the sin of the games basically just being luck kills the entire shows concept for me. they were always extremely unclear about the rules, what was allowed/not allowed.

Seems like a good metaphor for capitalism to me.

i say swears online posted:

I guess? I'll literally be in debt the rest of my life so I thought it was an interesting premise
Same. And that's true for a lot of people. College Humour for example had a contest where two of the comedians had to do various gross and humilating things to clear of their student debts. And they did it, because student debt in the USA sucks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Seems like a good metaphor for capitalism to me.

not really, the rules regarding “luck” and success in capitalism may seem arbitrary but they’re pretty well defined

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The games just reminded me of the job interview process.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

indigi posted:

not really, the rules regarding “luck” and success in capitalism may seem arbitrary but they’re pretty well defined

Only if you're part of the class who gets them explained to you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Only if you're part of the class who gets them explained to you

nah, “be born rich + go to ivy + receive sinecure” is pretty obvious

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

nah, “be born rich + go to ivy + receive sinecure” is pretty obvious

yeah so if you arent already born rich, the only thing that matters is luck. i would ask how this is hard to understand but its indigi we are talking about

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it isn’t hard to understand, is my point. the rules are obvious to dumbshits like me. if that’s the show’s “critique” it’s facile and trite

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

it isn’t hard to understand, is my point. the rules are obvious to dumbshits like me. if that’s the show’s “critique” it’s facile and trite

good god you are loving dense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh no my brands!!