Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Bought a white couch today. Got 48 hours to decide whether I've made a terrible decision or not.

Do you have children or outdoor pets? Or eat on your couch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Do you have children or outdoor pets? Or eat on your couch?

Also do you walk around your house without socks or slippers because it will get dirty that way too. I have kids and dogs and some white furniture. My lifehack is to just tuck washable blankets over the seats.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Bought a white couch today. Got 48 hours to decide whether I've made a terrible decision or not.

sirotan noooooooo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

No kids or outdoor pets, I have on my house shoes/sandals all the time (drat you, high arches), and yes I eat on my couch way more than I should. The fabric is really more of a light cream so not bright white, the room is emerald green with red oak floors and none of the dark fabric colors were going to look good. There were beige options but I hate beige! It's a "performance fabric" whatever the gently caress that actually means so....it will probably be fine. Maybe.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
There are a lot of different types of performance fabric, some easier to clean than others. Make sure wherever you bought it from gives you the actual cleaning instructions & know that spot cleaning will probably leave water rings. Better to remove the dirty casing & clean the whole thing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've owned a huge white couch for eight years and I now have a beige-ish couch. No kids, no pets on furniture and I have managed to keep it stain free all this time but the main sitting areas have slowly browned not unlike a mattress or pillow after years of use. We've had it professionally cleaned a couple times with mixed results. Never got back to it's original white but reduced the browning somewhat.

I still love the look of it and it's bigger than a twin mattress so it's a high quality sleeping option if we have more than two quests.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I will admit I'm having second thoughts, mostly on the fabric type and not so much the color. Last night I was sitting on my temporary couch with all my swatches and the lightest beige choice I considered is a chenille and just much more substantial vs the flat weave fabric I went with. If damaged it's trivially easy to start pulling it all apart. The color is "champagne" but honestly it's still beige and now I dunno what to do.

dammit I hate furniture shopping

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright goons help me.

The sofa I am getting: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/gather-petite-98-sofa/s537649 I am also getting a matching ottoman.

Here is where the sofa will go. Please pretend the college era futon is approx 14" longer to the right, and you'll have a good idea of how much space the new sofa will take up. (Also ignore the rug, it will not be staying there.)

Bonus photo of a beige chair that I've had for 17 years. It's a great chair but I've never loved the fabric color and will be getting it reupholstered as soon as I have other real furniture in this room.

The fabric choices I have considered at one point or another:

The tiny half swatch is the color/fabric that I went with. They had only a single swatch left in the store and it was on hold for someone else, so they cut it in half and gave it to me. This has also allowed me to pick at the sides and see how easy it is to get the fabric to fray, which is to say extremely. The Monet is what I am considering now, I guess it is closer to gold than beige, and gold does go well with green. The Tribute I do not like at all, in color or fabric style. The dark gray Icon is what I initially thought I'd get but once I got it home seemed like an entire sofa the color of my gray throw pillows would just be way too dark. If I've crossed off two of the three fabric options for this sofa (a custom fabric would double the price), I am left with the Monet line where my only options are white, gold, gray, darker gray, and almost black.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Other important but frequently overlooked thing- does someone in your household frequently wear makeup?

Also be sure your blue jeans are past that indigo shedding stage because that can be really annoying to deal with.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am now on the phone changing my order to a champagne colored couch. :sweatdrop:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would ask them about the durability of that polyester. I mean polyester by itself can be fine, my maharam fabric is poly but it's 100k double rubs which is ridiculous

you want to make sure it's 30k+ for a residential setting

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The one I originally wanted and the one I'm switching to are both 33k.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok cool, I will never stop laughing at "double rubs" btw

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What are double rubs?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

What are double rubs?

https://www.greenhousefabrics.com/blog/what-are-double-rubs

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Alright goons help me.

The sofa I am getting: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/gather-petite-98-sofa/s537649 I am also getting a matching ottoman.

Here is where the sofa will go. Please pretend the college era futon is approx 14" longer to the right, and you'll have a good idea of how much space the new sofa will take up. (Also ignore the rug, it will not be staying there.)

Bonus photo of a beige chair that I've had for 17 years. It's a great chair but I've never loved the fabric color and will be getting it reupholstered as soon as I have other real furniture in this room.

The fabric choices I have considered at one point or another:

The tiny half swatch is the color/fabric that I went with. They had only a single swatch left in the store and it was on hold for someone else, so they cut it in half and gave it to me. This has also allowed me to pick at the sides and see how easy it is to get the fabric to fray, which is to say extremely. The Monet is what I am considering now, I guess it is closer to gold than beige, and gold does go well with green. The Tribute I do not like at all, in color or fabric style. The dark gray Icon is what I initially thought I'd get but once I got it home seemed like an entire sofa the color of my gray throw pillows would just be way too dark. If I've crossed off two of the three fabric options for this sofa (a custom fabric would double the price), I am left with the Monet line where my only options are white, gold, gray, darker gray, and almost black.

I think in an ideal world I would also get white for this space but sadly this is not an ideal world

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thank you!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

No kids or outdoor pets, I have on my house shoes/sandals all the time (drat you, high arches), and yes I eat on my couch way more than I should. The fabric is really more of a light cream so not bright white, the room is emerald green with red oak floors and none of the dark fabric colors were going to look good. There were beige options but I hate beige! It's a "performance fabric" whatever the gently caress that actually means so....it will probably be fine. Maybe.

I was going to say I've had a white leather couch for a few years and it's totally fine as long as you aren't an animal but, yeah, fabric.

A nice (lighter) slate blue would look nice would your walls, though.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 8, 2021

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a way to have Hue smart lightbulbs loop through colors, if I’m connected via Bluetooth? (I.e. not using their Hue “bridge”)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

actionjackson posted:

yeah I have the sofa. keep in mind that all blu dot stuff is 20% off in October (I would double check with them on this, but it was last year)

cool bench, I'm a big softline fan

We ordered the New Standard in Spitzer Gray with the chaise with the 20% off sale-- which was a wedding gift from my in-laws, but I'm very annoyed at the cost of freight/shipping handling given the price.

When they were taking my payment info at the store they asked if I wanted the additional service of in-home delivery and assembly, and the salesperson said it was an extra $140. That didn't seem awful to me since they didn't mention anything about a delivery charge. After looking at the weight of the sofa and dimensions, it doesn't seem all that difficult to move into my house, so I declined and passed my credit card. The shipping and handling fee charged was $377-- which seems excessive. I don't recall paying that much for my entire Ikea kitchen or my Room and Board bed frame.

Anyway, we are also looking at some sort of long, lowish credenza to go in the dining room. I'm not sure if we we'll pick something from Blu Dot, as well, look at DWR or just keep an eye on craigslist for some vintage Danish piece. DWR had a floor sale item a few months ago, but I suspect it's sold off by now.

My wife also really likes some of the mirrors Blu Dot has, but at $700 I don't think I could be convinced to pull the trigger on one. Maybe if they also came up as a floor sale item. Even then I'd want to see a significant discount. Are there any good alternatives to these?
https://www.bludot.com/large-mirror-mirror.html
https://www.bludot.com/tdh-leaning-mirror.html

The Ikea Hovet and Ikornnes come to mind, but both are sold out.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hovet-mirror-aluminum-40507196/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ikornnes-floor-mirror-ash-30298396/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Quote not Edit:
Is there such a thing as a combination roller shade that combines some light filtering/privacy screen and a blackout shade? In one of my guest bedrooms that's used as an office I'd like to install some kind of blinds that will allow some daylight to filter through. My other guest bedroom (also office because we both work from home) faces the front yard and thus I have some conventional wood slat blinds for privacy at night. I have the same blinds in the master bedroom and one or two other windows in the house, but they aren't my favorite.

I don't want to have to buy curtains since it seems like it would be tedious to keep them clean and dust free and I suspect the cats or our dog would probably play with them. I'm not really sure what's "on trend" with window coverings but a roller blind seems like the most practical if it can accomplish both tasks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MetaJew posted:

Quote not Edit:
Is there such a thing as a combination roller shade that combines some light filtering/privacy screen and a blackout shade? In one of my guest bedrooms that's used as an office I'd like to install some kind of blinds that will allow some daylight to filter through. My other guest bedroom (also office because we both work from home) faces the front yard and thus I have some conventional wood slat blinds for privacy at night. I have the same blinds in the master bedroom and one or two other windows in the house, but they aren't my favorite.

I don't want to have to buy curtains since it seems like it would be tedious to keep them clean and dust free and I suspect the cats or our dog would probably play with them. I'm not really sure what's "on trend" with window coverings but a roller blind seems like the most practical if it can accomplish both tasks.

If your ok with honeycomb shades, I've got what is called a trishade on my front door that might fit the bill. Light filtering during the day, blackout at night.

Sirotan posted:

Gonna also talk up this shade I got for my front door from SelectBlinds, it is called a trishade. Blackout shade on the bottom and sheer on the top, I have the base of the shade attached to the door and the sheer section 'on' during the day, then switch to blackout at night. A little pricier than all my other cellular shades but I love it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I like the idea, but not a huge fan of the execution. Maybe for now I just get a solar shade roller blind for the back office and don't worry about it matching.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
We bought a place and got a a new couch that fits the space better; currently I'm using the pillows that I used with my old navy leather couch but I don't think they go that well together.

The couch is more of a blue/green color, not sure if that conveys in the picture below. Anyway, I can't come up pillows that look good with it, not sure if it's that I'm too invested so I'm asking for a little help. Hopefully this will help me find a throw blanket that works well with everything too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I had a painter come over a couple weeks ago to help me pick colors and she sent me an email recently in a creative crisis saying the colors I picked are too bold and she’s really afraid I won’t like them and they don’t match my art etc etc. Very weird.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I had a painter come over a couple weeks ago to help me pick colors and she sent me an email recently in a creative crisis saying the colors I picked are too bold and she’s really afraid I won’t like them and they don’t match my art etc etc. Very weird.

She's probably been burned by people picking a color and getting it on the walls and then hating it and expecting her to eat the cost of repainting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yep, she's just trying to communicate openly. If you came back and were like "No, I'm sure. I'm gonna love it" or "You think so? Good, I was totally thinking the same thing!" then either of those would be a load off her mind. As it is, it sounds like she's nervous and unsure and wanted to take your pulse on it too.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

This dresser is now living in this room. It needs a new coat of paint. What color(s) would you recommend? (Might change the handles too.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MetaJew posted:

We ordered the New Standard in Spitzer Gray with the chaise with the 20% off sale-- which was a wedding gift from my in-laws, but I'm very annoyed at the cost of freight/shipping handling given the price.

When they were taking my payment info at the store they asked if I wanted the additional service of in-home delivery and assembly, and the salesperson said it was an extra $140. That didn't seem awful to me since they didn't mention anything about a delivery charge. After looking at the weight of the sofa and dimensions, it doesn't seem all that difficult to move into my house, so I declined and passed my credit card. The shipping and handling fee charged was $377-- which seems excessive. I don't recall paying that much for my entire Ikea kitchen or my Room and Board bed frame.

Hey I'm sorry to hear about this. I would honestly call and complain if they did not mention the charge at all upfront, they are generally pretty amicable in my experience. Blu Dot is based here so I've talked to them quite a bit. On their website it mentions they have a flat 9% charge.

quote:

Anyway, we are also looking at some sort of long, lowish credenza to go in the dining room. I'm not sure if we we'll pick something from Blu Dot, as well, look at DWR or just keep an eye on craigslist for some vintage Danish piece. DWR had a floor sale item a few months ago, but I suspect it's sold off by now.

I got my media unit at a DWR floor sale :) what length and height are you looking for? color?

quote:

My wife also really likes some of the mirrors Blu Dot has, but at $700 I don't think I could be convinced to pull the trigger on one. Maybe if they also came up as a floor sale item. Even then I'd want to see a significant discount. Are there any good alternatives to these?
https://www.bludot.com/large-mirror-mirror.html
https://www.bludot.com/tdh-leaning-mirror.html

I'm pretty sure you could get something of that size at target if you want

When I got a new mirror for my bathroom I got one from glass warehouse which was not too expensive and really nice, they sell through home depot, here's their rectangular ones

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bathroom-Mirrors/Glass-Warehouse/Rectangular/N-5yc1vZbzboZmc1Z1z1dhcr

also does anyone know what chair this is? I didn't know that herman miller bought knoll in july, and saw this pic while reading about it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 5, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Hey I'm sorry to hear about this. I would honestly call and complain if they did not mention the charge at all upfront, they are generally pretty amicable in my experience. Blu Dot is based here so I've talked to them quite a bit. On their website it mentions they have a flat 9% charge.

I guess you're right, but yeah that shipping fee was not communicated to me at all before we decided to order it and I passed my credit card. Sure we got "20% off", but I think a shipping fee based on the total cost of the purchase and not something based on the weight, dimensions, and shipping distance is a grift. At least with Room and Board, I think the shipping fee was either a flat rate, or it was based on the distance from my home to their Warehouse in Colorado or wherever it was.

This is offtopic, but it feels like tipping culture in the US where I feel obligated to tip 20% of the bill, but I don't necessarily think the waiter at a more expensive restaurant necessarily deserves more from me when I might get equal or sometimes better service at a cheaper place.

actionjackson posted:

I got my media unit at a DWR floor sale :) what length and height are you looking for? color?

The wall it would go on is something like 116" wide, I think. The credenza we saw I think was in the mid 70" range, but perhaps we could go longer or find some width that looks good proportional to the dimensions of the room.

I think we're looking more for what's called a "sideboard", but I'm not really sure-- i guess it's a matter of the height of the top, but this would be for our dining room-- but likely to store maybe liquor or boardgames or a few things here and there-- or display some art or vases. I like walnut furniture but with only 8 ft ceilings and not a huge house I feel like darker furniture may make the house feel less warm. I am thinking I would like to go with a lighter wood like maple or white oak to make the house feel lighter and warmer.

actionjackson posted:

When I got a new mirror for my bathroom I got one from glass warehouse which was not too expensive and really nice, they sell through home depot, here's their rectangular ones

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bathroom-Mirrors/Glass-Warehouse/Rectangular/N-5yc1vZbzboZmc1Z1z1dhcr

I'll check these out. Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think sideboard is the right term, you probably want something higher than a media unit, I have this one in walnut, it's 77" wide and is against a wall that is maybe 14' wide and it's just fine. I have a tower speaker on each side but they are pretty small.

https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/aura-media-unit/1198.html?lang=en_US (no I didn't pay anywhere near that price)

I think 77" against 116" is more than enough, I wouldn't go higher. that's only leaving 1.5-2 feet on each side which is not much at all.

you could always go with this smaller budget option

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/stockholm-sideboard-walnut-veneer-40239721/

If you want something REALLY nice I could recommend a few things but they are loving expensive. I think looking at any sort of MCM place might be a good idea, you could find a sideboard in perhaps teak or rosewood.

maybe look at the room and board stuff?

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/dining-and-kitchen/storage-cabinets

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Black w dark wood or gold handles

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do you know what paint that is?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

peanut posted:

Black w dark wood or gold handles
Black, huh? I wouldn't have considered black normally with the hardwood, but that could work.

actionjackson posted:

do you know what paint that is?

No clue. It's probably 30 years old.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

No clue. It's probably 30 years old.

So if you want to know what the closest one is, any painter should have the little tool that you put up to the wall and tells you the closest color.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/contractors/job-solutions/project-advice/professional-paint-matching

But more importantly, do you want to keep that color? Or do something else? It's gotta be really faded, and I would recommend at the very least repainting, even if it's a very similar color. And if you want to do a different color, you want to do that first before you make any changes to the furniture.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

actionjackson posted:

So if you want to know what the closest one is, any painter should have the little tool that you put up to the wall and tells you the closest color.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/contractors/job-solutions/project-advice/professional-paint-matching

But more importantly, do you want to keep that color? Or do something else? It's gotta be really faded, and I would recommend at the very least repainting, even if it's a very similar color. And if you want to do a different color, you want to do that first before you make any changes to the furniture.

I may have misunderstood. The dresser paint is probably 30 years old. I painted the room last summer. I'm at work so I don't have the swatch, but I know it's a Benjamin Moore.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I was gonna say, that wall paint looks beautiful for being 30 years old

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I may have misunderstood. The dresser paint is probably 30 years old. I painted the room last summer. I'm at work so I don't have the swatch, but I know it's a Benjamin Moore.

ok, let me know what color it is if possible when you can, thanks!

if it's about how it looks on my screen (lol), I'm wondering about doing a brown with a red undertone, to kind of emulate a teak or rosewood look

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-families/bro/brown

some of the stuff on the left might be promising, like "Mudslide." You could go into a store with BM paint and just ask for some samples in the brown with red undertone ballpark.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 7, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just learned about buying Herman Miller and Knoll from a certified dealer, you definitely save money compared to retail. They typically sell to companies but also to individuals. Obviously the best option is to get stuff on floor sale, but if not, the dealers are the way to go

bertoia shell chair from knoll is 354 at dwr, 280 from the authorized dealer. dwr will sell it 15% off a few times a year, but it's still cheaper to go to a dealer

I'm going to get one of these for my living room, the black base is 495 retail, 375 from an authorized dealer

https://store.hermanmiller.com/livi...html?lang=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Animale posted:

More lighting, we just bought a house and we need some reading lights so I've been looking at plug-in sconces for convenience's sake. I'm looking at this one and this one and this one with the wider shade. In black, any opinions? My bed is a bludot in walnut if that helps a bit.

I finally got around to buying a couple of lights for above the bed and got the lampe gras 304 since they were on sale and I had a 10% off code that stacked, that and I really liked the interior copper.