Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qirex posted:

epic software has probably killed as many people as covid but apparently it’s thoroughly unfixable

epic is a big improvement in many cases

the worst coders write emr software, it’s just so tedious and boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anyway echi feel free to pursue ui/ux but the actual design part is the easiest and least important, figuring out how to wrangle stakeholders and deal with the realities of shipping software is the key bit

almost every piece of terrible software has at least one designer, maybe even a whole team of people, who are killing themselves to not let it be even worse

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

the problem with EMR software is they listen to customers and do whatever they ask. every install of epic is basically a custom piece of software written to handle the client's idiotic demands.

the only one ive seen that was remotely decent was athena health

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CarForumPoster posted:

I almost got hired by an EMR company.

Well. Almost got hired is a bit of a stretch. First, they said, "We don't think you're qualified for the intermediate programmer position, would you be interested in a junior programmer position?"

I regarded this as a mortal insult, but I needed a job so I went to the interview anyway.

Then, at the interview, the founder said to me (in person), "I didn't count your Master's degree as worth anything because I'm not educated myself."

We parted on poor terms.

I didn't get the job.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Healthy young programmer goes to EMR consulting firm, gets pumped with massive shot of global variables, doesn't feel good and changes — MUMPS. Many such cases!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Healthy young programmer goes to EMR consulting firm, gets pumped with massive shot of global variables, doesn't feel good and changes — MUMPS. Many such cases!

lol irl

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I worked on a small EMR that was backed by a local doctor and only used at a few clinics, it was written in Delphi 5 in at least 2010

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gazpacho posted:

too long for a thread title :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

too long for terrible programming thread title

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

anyway echi feel free to pursue ui/ux but the actual design part is the easiest and least important, figuring out how to wrangle stakeholders and deal with the realities of shipping software is the key bit

almost every piece of terrible software has at least one designer, maybe even a whole team of people, who are killing themselves to not let it be even worse

thanks for the heads up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

thanks for the heads up

it applies to most jobs with software tho

except of course the places where the ceo hates the idea of hiring people with degrees or similar situations of the inmates running the asylum

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quackles posted:

I almost got hired by an EMR company.

Well. Almost got hired is a bit of a stretch. First, they said, "We don't think you're qualified for the intermediate programmer position, would you be interested in a junior programmer position?"

I regarded this as a mortal insult, but I needed a job so I went to the interview anyway.

Then, at the interview, the founder said to me (in person), "I didn't count your Master's degree as worth anything because I'm not educated myself."

We parted on poor terms.

I didn't get the job.

that founder is correct

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually no, he’s just an rear end in a top hat

masters degrees are worth less in this field generally, but not worthless

and the way it’s read, he wasn’t just discounting the masters, but op’s entire education. which is lovely and wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
being uneducated doesn't make him correct about the degree, and being correct about the degree wouldn't make him correct about suitability for the job, and neither would make it professional to voice his opinion in such terms

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

lmaooooo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Fool posted:

actually no, he’s just an rear end in a top hat

masters degrees are worth less in this field generally, but not worthless

and the way it’s read, he wasn’t just discounting the masters, but op’s entire education. which is lovely and wrong

He sounded pretty apologetic as he said it. I suspect he's had one or more people blow up at him for similar remarks before.

Edit: Also, I had a number of years actual work experience and he was down on me 'cause I didn't do co-ops in university ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 5, 2021

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qirex posted:

this is truth. the whole thing. there are so many bad things i want to fix. the amount of actual design i do is like 10-20% of my job, the rest is communicating to others wtf i made and why it should be done via my own research or secondary research, then a tech lead comes and picks it apart and my pm tries to get as much little scope as possible. i'm a research focused ux'er though.

i left health cause business wanted to push customers to their worst medicare advantage plans when they're best option is basic medicare.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
being good at ux means burying the return form for your amazon order underneath 6 different views each with increasing visual cues to exit the process

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
that's by design so you give up lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm super glad I got out of consumer ux before dark patterns really took off, in the stuff I work on now the customer already paid a shitload of money so we genuinely do want to improve their stuff so they sign another giant contract 5 years from now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

dark patterns

the word "deception" already exists in the dictionary, you don't need to propagate a PR-crafted euphemism for it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sapozhnik posted:

the word "deception" already exists in the dictionary, you don't need to propagate a PR-crafted euphemism for it

"fraud" is also a good word

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
b2c went to poo poo in lockstep w the open internet goin to poo poo

wikipedia remains the only unequivocably good thinf there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

b2c went to poo poo in lockstep w the open internet goin to poo poo

wikipedia remains the only unequivocably good thinf there

thanks for the reminder. i've been meaning to set up a recurring monthly donation

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

cheese eats mouse posted:

that's by design so you give up lol

i bet that uxer got a fat raise for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

barkbell posted:

nah the uxer probably got fired or quit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Here's the new resume, with a couple more questions:

-how up front do I get in a cover letter about my experience?
-should I be looking for junior/associate/? level pm work so that I could learn how to do it for real?
-where best to blast out this resume? just the usual indeed/monster type places?
-apparently most (all?) staffing agencies are an indentured servitude scam, how do I get recruiters or a recruiting agency's attention?
-should I include agile/scrum/pm-specific skills on my resume after I learn more of the language or will HMs be pissed I never used them in a real work setting?

I'm feeling confident, yet very very overwhelmed. rereading everyone's v helpful posts has been almost therapeutic, thank you all again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

This but writing code.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

-should I be looking for junior/associate/? level pm work so that I could learn how to do it for real?
-where best to blast out this resume? just the usual indeed/monster type places?
-apparently most (all?) staffing agencies are an indentured servitude scam, how do I get recruiters or a recruiting agency's attention?
-should I include agile/scrum/pm-specific skills on my resume after I learn more of the language or will HMs be pissed I never used them in a real work setting?

I'm feeling confident, yet very very overwhelmed. rereading everyone's v helpful posts has been almost therapeutic, thank you all again

you’re loving incredible dude

honestly yospos has such a high standard of achieved people. almost everyone. some chumps like me but mostly an amazing amount of incredible people. we’re lucky

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

much better!

i cant help with cover letters, i stopped using them after firstjob

apply for everything imo. it sounds like you have the skills for project management already, so i dont think you need to restrict yourself to just junior roles, but idk the project management side well enough to say for sure.

i'd say linkedin, but someone with more pm experience should confirm

absolutely include agile/pm-specific skills. they're your skills, even if you don't use them at work. i've never written a heap overflow at work but i still list x86 and x64 binary exploitation as skills i have, because i do. once you have the vocabulary, try to phrase your existing work experience in terms of that vocabulary. did you have daily status meetings? now they're standups. don't lie of course, but tons of the jargon will probably apply to your existing experience cause it sounds to me like your talent coordinator stuff just _is_ project management, where the project is "making a movie/show/commercial/whatever"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes list the scrum poo poo, buzzwords are candy to recruiters. Most staffing places are not good, they forward your resume and then skim your checks and that's about it. Unfortunately some companies only hire through them though and if you have no experience it's a way to lower the bar if you're already vetoing them.

Just apply to a bunch of pm jobs at various levels, you never know what will happen. My first job as a software engineer was at the senior level because that's what their opening was and they needed some people right now.

I haven't written a cover letter in a long time either. They're not really necessary once you have experience. Just summarize your posts in a few sentences pretty much, say you've managed people but want to get out of film because it sucks butt

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 6, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and remember: a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video of someone sucking a butt can have a lot of frames in it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

barkbell posted:

people don't actually get bonuses or raises for making their employer money

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they just get more work to do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man I don’t know where else to put this it’s just work chat

but drat. i’m listening to my gf about a colleague. it’s insane how terrible someone can be and how long they can be terrible, and yet nothing can be done about it. the process toward getting rid of a employee who isn’t just bad but compromising the end product is near impossible and they’re basically going to restructure the whole company to make her redundant because being atrocious isn’t a good enough reason to fire someone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it is genuinely shocking when you learn how fast they can get someone out the door for complaining about racism or wage discrimination but it takes years to actually boot someone who is genuinely bad at their job

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

your cv should be your first sales pitch and you should be way more aggressive than what you think you are being. have a generic template that connects your xp to the general job descriptions. a lot of job descriptions are very similar. you don’t need to mention your skills will translate bc anyone in hr with half a brain can see applicable translation. it’s why I hard yes’d on our new UX Researcher coming from a background in on premise research of architecture.

here’s a closing snippet from my “tell me about yourself” response script. i got hired that day and way more call backs after retooling to be an aggressive salesman of myself.

quote:

For the last two years at COMPANY I've been working closely with developers, business analysts, and upper-level stakeholders on restaurant focused products which include front of the house management apps, web portals for accessing restaurant data and a consumer facing booking app and widget. My responsibilities have included creating design guides patterns for different platforms, being a user experience advocate among the company, juggling and prioritizing multiple different product deadlines.

I will be successful at ROLE because I am not afraid to work with different product roles, love talking to restaurant users and researching their needs and wants, and can recognize collaboration and communication issues and solve them

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

those poor company owners if only someone would think of them

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Plorkyeran posted:

people don't actually get bonuses or raises for making their employer money

well poo poo what i am i working so hard for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so you can figure out a nujob w a 30% raise?