Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There's a card with an ability counter in MH2, it also has Escape and iirc Delirium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Incidentally, ability counters haven't been seen since Ikoria. I guess it didn't work out.

Three other creatures use non-+1/+1counters in MID, one counts them to transforming, one uses them after transforming, and the third is Sludge Monster.

They printed a commander in Ikoria that was all about ability counters and it's just such a pain in the rear end to use and track.

The thing makes 10 counters on average every time it comes in, it's ridiculous.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

There's a card with an ability counter in MH2, it also has Escape and iirc Delirium

Yep, this lonely horse. And Tyrite Sanctum's indestructible counter.

Missed 'em because they have a +1/+1 counter as well. Means Tyrite Sanctum is the only ability counter in Standard now.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They printed a commander in Ikoria that was all about ability counters and it's just such a pain in the rear end to use and track.

The thing makes 10 counters on average every time it comes in, it's ridiculous.

Kathril uses Double Strike and Indestructible counters, which IKO proper doesn't.

C20 is the only place there's Double Strike counters.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Ascent of the Worthy and Ascendant Spirit both use flying counters. I feel like there's relics of early Kaldheim design that got scrapped in there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BioThermo posted:

Ascent of the Worthy and Ascendant Spirit both use flying counters. I feel like there's relics of early Kaldheim design that got scrapped in there.

Maybe I shouldn't look this up because I already have to look around all the counterspells that also counter things, so it's a lot of work filtering results.

None in STX, AFR, or MID though! I am fairly sure!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

quote:

Q: Was there ever an idea to use -1/-1 counters on either return to Innistrad? You've said that you prefer to use them on crueler worlds, and an Avacyn-less Innistrad seems like a very cruel world.

R&D has really soured on -1/-1 counter sets. It creates gameplay incentives that we don't like and makes sets harder to balance. We're not against occasionally using them on cards, especially in supplemental sets, but I don't anticipate us using them as a set-wide thing for a premier set anytime soon.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/odds-ends-innistrad-midnight-hunt-part-2-2021-10-04

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maybe I shouldn't look this up because I already have to look around all the counterspells that also counter things, so it's a lot of work filtering results.

None in STX, AFR, or MID though! I am fairly sure!

Book of Exalted Deeds puts an enlightened counter on an angel (you can’t lose and your opponent can’t win)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Book of Exalted Deeds puts an enlightened counter on an angel (you can’t lose and your opponent can’t win)

The exalted counter does absolutely nothing. The Angel gains the ability unconditionally and indefinitely, and the counter is just a convenient reminder. It can be eaten with Hex Parasite or moved around with the Ozolith and nothing happens.

Sensei Golden-Tail does a similar trick with Training counters.

Speaking of the Ozolith, I should see what all types of counters a permanent can have one of these days, since they can all end up on the same guy at the same time thanks to it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Mezzanon posted:

two versions i think

HootTheOwl posted:

That's the spotglosss treatment and the regular. It's intentional

Thanks y’all!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gently caress you bring back infect you cowards

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Incidentally, ability counters haven't been seen since Ikoria. I guess it didn't work out.
and that's a shame because they're a neat gimmick.

ikoria draft in particular is really fascinating with them. that 3/6 flying or hexproof pteradon is a real bastard to get rid of and an amazing mutate target if you go for the hexproof counter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Luminous Mothra card with Power Conduit is my favorite janky combo that came out of Ikoria. It’s like a better undying/persist.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/q1xl00/standard_world_decklists_leaked_early/

The decklists for WCXXVII leaked early lol. That's a whole heap of UR.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

AlternateNu posted:

Luminous Mothra card with Power Conduit is my favorite janky combo that came out of Ikoria. It’s like a better undying/persist.

Power Conduit gets better with every new gimmick with counters, it's great

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Is this going to be the last Worlds for a while given all the changes to organized play? Thats kind of sad.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fadam posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/q1xl00/standard_world_decklists_leaked_early/

The decklists for WCXXVII leaked early lol. That's a whole heap of UR.

Can’t wait to tune in!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Koirhor posted:

Can’t wait to tune in!

This but unironically, watching high level control mirrors is extremely my poo poo

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

This firmly marks Epiphany Control with Hall as a finisher as the best deck in the format, right? Or at least the deck you need a game plan against

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Froghammer posted:

This firmly marks Epiphany Control with Hall as a finisher as the best deck in the format, right? Or at least the deck you need a game plan against

100%, too bad that when you run answers to epiphany you just end up playing another epiphany deck.

At least I can update my mono-G and W lists from these.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You can play so many colors, as long as one of them is blue or green

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Has wotc promoted worlds at all? I feel like i learned it was happening two weeks ago

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

Has wotc promoted worlds at all? I feel like i learned it was happening two weeks ago

I feel like the Arena promotion probably draws more attention to it than anything pre-Arena could have.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lol voxy makes more than nummy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Lol voxy makes more than nummy

is that really surprising?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did someone post what all the magic streamers make? lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Did someone post what all the magic streamers make? lol

Google "twitch news" and have your mind blown

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Google "twitch news" and have your mind blown

I saw a bit about the top streamers but not like mid level magic people.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I saw a bit about the top streamers but not like mid level magic people.

Literally Twitch's entire source/database was leaked

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Haven't drafted in a while, how badly did I gently caress this one up?

I wasn't sure whether I was red or green until very late, so I probably blew a bunch of picks in pack 2. Considering cutting a Burn and playing an 18th land.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

p1p4 Mirror is pretty bad, Occultist and Crawl will both do something
By the point you notice Storm the Festival pick 4 you could have pivoted harder into green since it's clear its open, especially with Unnatural Growth and Brood Weaver in the next pack.
P1p8 there's a Winterthorn Blessing and a Path to the Festival, probably would've taken the Path to help hit Storm the Festival.

I probably would've moved into B/G or G/U/b.

The format has evolved pretty well over the last week or so to the point where Black is maybe a little overdrafted and you can do better drafting another main color. Unless you hit major spells payoffs like Sieze the Storm, it's better avoiding Red almost entirely. Burn the Accursed is not good enough to stick with red.

You're incredibly low on 2 drops with only 2-3 playable creatures. Festival Crasher needs better cantrips to shine and REALLY wants a stolen vitality to be playable, although you have a Lunar frenzy.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 7, 2021

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shabadu posted:

p1p4 Mirror is pretty bad, Occultist and Crawl will both do something
By the point you notice Storm the Festival pick 4 you could have pivoted harder into green since it's clear its open, especially with Unnatural Growth and Brood Weaver in the next pack.
P1p8 there's a Winterthorn Blessing and a Path to the Festival, probably would've taken the Path to help hit Storm the Festival.

I probably would've moved into B/G or G/U/b.

The format has evolved pretty well over the last week or so to the point where Black is maybe a little overdrafted and you can do better drafting another main color. Unless you hit major spells payoffs like Sieze the Storm, it's better avoiding Red almost entirely. Burn the Accursed is not good enough to stick with red.

You're incredibly low on 2 drops with only 2-3 playable creatures. Festival Crasher needs better cantrips to shine and REALLY wants a stolen vitality to be playable, although you have a Lunar frenzy.

I didn't take Storm the Festival as a sign green was open because I didn't think Storm was all that good even if you were green. Seeing Growth and Weaver did get me to start taking green, though. And you're probably right that I wasn't drafting 2 drops highly enough. Thanks!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Storm is a pretty good U/G card, even G/B. What it signifies to me is that nobody is trying to be a lategame green deck and you could've staked that lane. There's even a G/R spells deck but Red in general requires the good payoffs, but also Moonragers Slash and Neonate's Rushes before you can begin to think about drafting it.

Looking at p1p2 You have 2 excellent green cards in Rise of the Ants and Shadowbeast sighting and by passing both you're telling that person that you are not interested in green, even though it's early. Ants didn't come back but Shadowbeast did, which tells me that only one other person at the table was in green, and if you hadn't passed those two cards you could've been that person.

The only other bit of advice is that Voldaren Stinger is a much better card than it looks and Hungry for More is worse. The latter demands you have a sac outlet or payoff for creature death. Something like Eaten Alive or Ecstatic Awakener or Morbid Opportunist.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think mcmagic is asking if anyone has pulled out the MtG streamers into a stand-alone list.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah somebody went through the huge file and pulled the magic streamers they recognized and posted on reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/q2jcvv/twitch_earnings_got_leaked_here_are_what_some/

Also CovertGoBlue did a very good video on it as well which is just very transparent behind the scenes look at Twitch and YouTube monetization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtTwGFwcQs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oof. Crokeyz is like no 1 on MTG twitch every time I look and he barely makes 80k. It's VERY hard make a living doing that lol. Day9 had a fanbase before he started doing magic, right? (I also find him loving insufferable too)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Can anyone look up how much Andrea Mengucci makes from Twitch? Just curious 'cause he's the only streamer I watch because he's a goober and painfully Italian and makes and eats good food and lives near the ocean and I want to be his friend.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I don't think Storm the Festival or Unnatural Growth are particularly good but green was super open in pack 3 and the RB cards you took instead were super mediocre
p3p2: Florian is probably fine to splash but Mentor and Eaten Alive are also fine picks
p3p3: Contortionist Troupe over Novice Occultist
p3p4: Eccentric Farmer, top green common
p3p5: Deathbonnet Sprout
p3p6: Clear Shot
p3p8: Duel for Dominance

Also in p2p6, Jack O'Lantern is a better way to splash than Path to the Festival

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TipTow posted:

Can anyone look up how much Andrea Mengucci makes from Twitch? Just curious 'cause he's the only streamer I watch because he's a goober and painfully Italian and makes and eats good food and lives near the ocean and I want to be his friend.

Mengucci is in the link above. Like $12k a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TipTow posted:

I think he has a real job like a lawyer or something. You don't get his magic collection on 12k a year.