Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ThirstyBuck posted:

These prices are insane. What’s the market for a rust free E36M3/4/5 w/290k miles on it?

Even pre pandemic an e36 m3 USDM vert was 12k.
Estoril, manual, top that works, interior not made of sand? 35k. I haven’t looked since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
strange that a BMW shop would call itself Kassel Performance, Kassel is very much a Volkswagen town

unless it's in Kassel. or the dudes name is Kassel. or he's from Kassel.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There’s a local dealer that’s selling a 2013 M3 with 55,000 km (34,000 mi) for C$90,000 (US$71,000).

They bought it from another dealer for C$45,000 (US$36,000) a few days ago and even have the picture from the other dealer (complete with their signs and logos in the photos) posted on their site.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Someone get this and spend $20k on it.

2011 BMW 328i Wagon

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Starting yesterday my idrive system (radio?) Is randomly restarting itself while driving my m2. Maybe once every 25+ mins? Seems to be completely random. It will reboot and go back to being normal.

I tried putting the car in standby and holding the volume button for 30seconds and rebooted the operating system and it just did it again. I havent updated the software or anything recently..

Any ideas?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fyallm posted:

Starting yesterday my idrive system (radio?) Is randomly restarting itself while driving my m2. Maybe once every 25+ mins? Seems to be completely random. It will reboot and go back to being normal.

I tried putting the car in standby and holding the volume button for 30seconds and rebooted the operating system and it just did it again. I havent updated the software or anything recently..

Any ideas?

Sounds like hardware, it's probably a real bitch to check connectors right?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

The Big Jesus posted:

Sounds like hardware, it's probably a real bitch to check connectors right?

I opened the hood and checked the battery connectors as that is what I was reading on threads, but since its still pretty new theres no corrosion or loose battery terminal connectors..

And yeah I wouldn't have the first clue to go searching for any other connectors

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got a 2006 3-series loaner and oh my god I forgot how great the steering in these cars is. Great heft and awesome road feel. I even like the way the turn signals work. :v:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I absolutely despise the e9x turn signals. They suck so much that it makes you not want to engage them which may be where the stereotype of BMW drivers comes from

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I absolutely despise the e9x turn signals. They suck so much that it makes you not want to engage them which may be where the stereotype of BMW drivers comes from

I don’t understand this critique—I’ve found the return to neutral design of this era to be quite nice. Tap for triple blink and press to detent for persistent until steering lock is bueno!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

No, they loving suck rear end

They should not return to center except when not on. Tap for the triple blink is fine. It’s that turning them fully left or right then returns to center and manual cancelling involves tapping again. There is a reason no one else decided this was a good idea!

Otherwise the platform owns though! Although the steering/front tires can tramline a little bit for me at least on lovely roads.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The tram lining in these things is because of the weak-rear end RTAB and FCAB allowing dynamic toe

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I agree with the turn signals thing. Confused the poo poo out of me the first time I used them when I first test drove a 4 series. I’m used to it now but it absolutely does not need to be different to (nearly) every other car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

thealphabetsez posted:

I don’t understand this critique—I’ve found the return to neutral design of this era to be quite nice. Tap for triple blink and press to detent for persistent until steering lock is bueno!

I am with you on this one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My friend bought the original LS swapped E36 that Vorshlag built like 10yr ago and uses as the kit exploded view picture. Shipped it from PA to Az, showed up this morning.

(https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/7088-vorshlag-bmw-e36-ls1-st2-build)

It looks like this now and has a 500-ish wheel dry sumped LS3 in it, should be fuckin rowdy. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Tap for the triple blink is fine.

I hate this because sometimes I change my mind about turning or hit it by accident. I almost never use the feature intentionally.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

gently caress. yes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Turn signals are one of those things that did not need to be reengineered by brain genious Germans but they did anyway, because they're arrogant, and made it worse. See also: seat modules.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure you can change it to just be one blink in the settings.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm more referring to every other turn signal having two states, on and off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone does the tap for 3 thing now. My stinger had options for 3, 5 or 7 :saddowns:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
BMW Thread: *Here's a LS e36m3* *blinker control pedantry continues*

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

BMW Thread: *Here's a LS e36m3* *blinker control pedantry continues*

We only talk about things invented in Germany in this thread.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BlackMK4 posted:

The tram lining in these things is because of the weak-rear end RTAB and FCAB allowing dynamic toe

Well that should be easy enough to correct then I suppose? Good to know thanks

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Turn signals are one of those things that did not need to be reengineered by brain genious Germans but they did anyway, because they're arrogant, and made it worse. See also: seat modules.

I got used to the turn signals in my E88 pretty fast, but what is it about seat modules that ze Germans have screwed up?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They're pretty identical to every european car I've ever driven including UK specific Fords?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

My friend bought the original LS swapped E36 that Vorshlag built like 10yr ago and uses as the kit exploded view picture. Shipped it from PA to Az, showed up this morning.

(https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/7088-vorshlag-bmw-e36-ls1-st2-build)

It looks like this now and has a 500-ish wheel dry sumped LS3 in it, should be fuckin rowdy. :v:

That is going to be a lot of fun. It's a great chassis and it takes additional power very well. I've driven a couple S54 E36 race cars and they were great, add ~150HP :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

That is going to be a lot of fun. It's a great chassis and it takes additional power very well. I've driven a couple S54 E36 race cars and they were great, add ~150HP :getin:

Funny you mention that, I've been keeping my eyes out for a w2w s54 e36 to pop up for sale in the $25k area since they seem to occasionally. I intend to finish the season in the Miata, but after that I've been thinking about offloading it and moving to something NA again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lotus Elise non-detente turn signal stalks representin

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Funny you mention that, I've been keeping my eyes out for a w2w s54 e36 to pop up for sale in the $25k area since they seem to occasionally. I intend to finish the season in the Miata, but after that I've been thinking about offloading it and moving to something NA again.

I'll ping you if I see one pop up, I'm in way too many buy/sell race car groups in addition to people sending me listings all the time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
When I got in the seat, I vaguely remembered complaints about the blinkers in e90s. It took me all of 2 minutes to figure out.

The annoying thing was that I don't think the fuel gauge had the little arrow pointing to what side the tank was on.

Still, it was an awesome car and I wish they weren't 15-20 years old at this point. I missed the steering feel the moment I returned it and got in to my Macan.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

When I got in the seat, I vaguely remembered complaints about the blinkers in e90s. It took me all of 2 minutes to figure out.

The annoying thing was that I don't think the fuel gauge had the little arrow pointing to what side the tank was on.

Still, it was an awesome car and I wish they weren't 15-20 years old at this point. I missed the steering feel the moment I returned it and got in to my Macan.

No arrow, but the handle is on the same side as the door, some cars will use the handle to indicate side.

And yes I get the signals and how they work, that doesn't make them less dumb and make it that the germans didn't try to fix something that wasn't broken.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

No arrow, but the handle is on the same side as the door, some cars will use the handle to indicate side.

And yes I get the signals and how they work, that doesn't make them less dumb and make it that the germans didn't try to fix something that wasn't broken.

I'm trying to decide which joke to make with your post/avatar combo.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TheBacon posted:

No arrow, but the handle is on the same side as the door
do what now

is this some sort of ferrari fan fic, surely I'm missing something

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It should be on the opposite side because it's supposed to face TOWARDS the gas cap. Silly Germans.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The little gas pump icon on the fuel gauge, some cars will move the pump handle to the right or left of the pump to indicate which side of the car the fuel door is on

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
ohhh okay I thought you were insinuating that the blinker stalk was indicative of which side the fuel fill was on. I see what you're driving at now.

But you shouldn't need an arrow in a BMW cause it's on the passenger side. :colbert:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Crunchy Black posted:

ohhh okay I thought you were insinuating that the blinker stalk was indicative of which side the fuel fill was on. I see what you're driving at now.

But you shouldn't need an arrow in a BMW cause it's on the passenger side. :colbert:

I was gonna say mine is on the drivers side, but are you referring to LHD? Might always be on the right hand side.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know much about E46 coding? I want to read and set the parameters on a single module without having to read ZCS/FA. I have working INPA/NCS/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know much about E46 coding? I want to read and set the parameters on a single module without having to read ZCS/FA. I have working INPA/NCS/etc.

What module are you trying to code, and what parameter? I'd be happy to do some research with you. I have the full INPA/NCS setup as well but I've never dug into it much.