Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Norton posted:

"No matter what city or car was being studied, open windows showed the highest exposure to pollution. Driving with the windows down during peak commuting hours showed a 90 percent rise in pollution exposure. The safest was driving during non-peak hours with the windows up and air recirculation turned on to allow cabin filters to do their work"

There is way too much truck exhaust to drive with windows down around here.
don't drive in stop-and-go traffic then, that's what bikes are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Centrist Committee posted:

there shouldn’t be cars

How else am I going to get to national parks and other remote areas for outdoor activites.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolphin posted:

That's the thing that's infuriating. We have all this new technology that could go into making more fuel efficient trucks but instead it goes into making bigger heavier trucks with the same fuel efficiency as the earlier smaller ones.

And also the same bed-size. Literally the sole reason for trucks to exist, wasted to make giant monstrosities that never do anything a truck is supposed to do. loving idiot government refusing to govern over the past 30 years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

I did once see someone bringing her (quite large) dog to the vet on the bus but I'm pretty sure that was just the driver being nice. I'd hope that once we have trains that go everywhere and communities built around them that we've also thought about the need to sometimes transport large pets.

Anyway, our glorious car-free future is still gonna need poo poo like ambulances and accommodation for the disabled too.

Actually dogs should be banned from cities, so there is no reason to allow them on public transit.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How else am I going to get to national parks and other remote areas for outdoor activites.

bad news buddy

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Actually dogs should be banned from cities, so there is no reason to allow them on public transit.

wrong, only dogs should be allowed in cities

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Norton posted:

"No matter what city or car was being studied, open windows showed the highest exposure to pollution. Driving with the windows down during peak commuting hours showed a 90 percent rise in pollution exposure. The safest was driving during non-peak hours with the windows up and air recirculation turned on to allow cabin filters to do their work"

There is way too much truck exhaust to drive with windows down around here.

yeah I didn't realize until now that if you drive in the summer you absolutely want to have recirculating on for A/C

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Until the mid 2000s trucks were the cheapest vehicles you could buy. Now, accounting for features, they are the most expensive.

I'd hate to be a contractor right now because trucks cost way too much and vans are all pumped up too due to van lifer types.

Such a stupid trend my god
2000 Cavalier 2dr Coupe MSRP: $13,160
2000 S10 4x2 Regular Cab MSRP: $12,655

2021 Chevy Spark MSRP: $13,600
2021 Chevy Colorado MSRP: $25,000

lol

lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
im pretty sure my uncle's farm truck doesn't even have power windows, why spend the money on a wagon mover

also the single worst thing in the world are people with fake service dogs, that poo poo makes me so angry

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Minrad posted:

my 2002 ford ranger gets ~25 mpg on highways. maybe like 23 some mornings when I'm driving home through the insane morning traffic where literally everyone is bumper to bumper going 15 over the limit so they aren't late for their office jobs.

a guy at work has a 2018 ford range that he says gets 15 mpg. 12 in the summer when he has to run the engine to blast a/c on work breaks lmao

side by side our trucks are basically that comparison image from the other page.

I never got much over 28mpg in my 2004 Miata, and that thing required 93 octane

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

trucks are acceptable for hauling cars to the demolition pit

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

trucks are acceptable for hauling cars to the demolition pit

Only single bench seat trucks though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Why would coyotes, the inheritors of the urban Earth, ban their cousins from the cities?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I will admit I am not entirely clear on the coyote position on public transit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

also the single worst thing in the world are people with fake service dogs, that poo poo makes me so angry

try working at a hotel where by law you have to take them at their word

*chihuahua struggling in someone's arms, barking and gnawing at wrists* why hello ma'am what a lovely service animal you have there

i'm allowed to ask them what duties they're trained to perform, which always gets funny answers out of the fakers

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

The answer to a lot of this century's questions is that things have changed and you aren't entitled to do the things you comfortably did before

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

try working at a hotel where by law you have to take them at their word

*chihuahua struggling in someone's arms, barking and gnawing at wrists* why hello ma'am what a lovely service animal you have there

i'm allowed to ask them what duties they're trained to perform, which always gets funny answers out of the fakers

i saw one "service animal" lay down on its side and refuse to move while its owner drug them along the (admittedly smooth) floor. bunch of other fakes ones would show up with their owners in court all the time and create disruptions nonstop

i have a cousin with an infinite amount of health problems (dwarfism, epilepsy, kidney issues leading to transplant) who has real service dogs so i can recognize one thats actually legit and it infuriates me to think she might not be able to use hers somewhere because of fakers

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nitevision posted:

The answer to a lot of this century's questions is that things have changed and you aren't entitled to do the things you comfortably did before

we should not be allowed to go into nature because it would involve a car (because no alternatives exist), got it

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

people here who use trucks for work just chop the tiny useless beds off and replace them with something that doesn’t require a stepladder to load, or they get something imported. lots of roofers and yard workers driving cute little Japanese pickups these days. shame they gotta go.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

actionjackson posted:

we should not be allowed to go into nature because it would involve a car (because no alternatives exist), got it

You answered yourself. Can you imagine alternatives? Or is your solution to whine and cry while the world fills with smoke

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you can bike or take the bus to nature and if you cant handle that well then gently caress u sir

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
literally just ban cars and alternatives will present themselves, it's a real thing and it is the inverse effect of induced demand

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
"We can't decarbonize, how else will I appreciate our earth's natural beauty :qq: " <-- THis is what cars do to your brain.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you just banned cars there would be trains running to every tourist location on earth the next morning, this is an indisputable scientific fact that can never be disproven

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

if you just banned cars there would be trains running to every tourist location on earth the next morning, this is an indisputable scientific fact that can never be disproven

it's true, anybody who thinks this isn't true hates the free market and invisible hand

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

it's true, anybody who thinks this isn't true hates the free market and invisible hand

Well, I do hate those things.

Wait, do I love cars now? That can't be right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

Well, I do hate those things.

Wait, do I love cars now? That can't be right.

CAR LOVER SPOTTED

GETT'EM

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

CAR LOVER SPOTTED

GETT'EM

Egad! If only I had some sort of self-propelled means of escape!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

the free market gives terrible handjobs

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
It's so funny that history has been a nonstop chain of people being displaced from the lives they enjoyed or at least tolerated by poo poo outside their control. Like people have always had their villages totally leveled and their families slaughtered by random warbands they had nothing to do with and had to just haul rear end barefoot across to some other spot where life was worse and harder, everyone has ancestors who went through that. People post on this forum who are some of the few survivors of indigenous North American civilizations who experienced actual apocalypses and can never ever reattain what the generations before them had. Many other times people have chosen to abandon lives they knew for extremely slim chances of something better in a place that was completely alien to them, and for a lot of them it ended in starvation and despair or far-worse violence. And every single one of those situations and crises including the ones that culminated in genocide of millions was a fraction of the severity of the current climate crisis, and the actual sacrifices you are asked to make in concession to the climate crisis are hilariously small in context. But history is over, and you are special, and when you speak up and say, "It's important to my family's well-being that we drive with our two large dogs to visit Disneyworld twice a year. How am I going to do that in the world you propose?", people have to listen to you and treat you as though you are a serious adult.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you can already take a bus to the mountains in most civilized places, get over yourselves

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

And also the same bed-size. Literally the sole reason for trucks to exist, wasted to make giant monstrosities that never do anything a truck is supposed to do. loving idiot government refusing to govern over the past 30 years.

this. i kind of wanted a used truck for work since i do a lot of infiltration test, borings, and other poo poo that would be way easier to throw in a bed than gently caress up our a hatchback. and something small and narrow that i can maneuver and parallel park in tight rear end spots easily. but all the trucks nmnow are like loving wide lifted-expeditions SUVs with a small bed attached and it's just absurdly stupid. gimme the tiniest loving cab possible, a small 2-seater bench seat with nothing behind it, narrow as possible, and a normal 80s-length bed and that'd be perfect.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

take a loving horse and wagon like the savages who dispossessed the indigenous inhabitants!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

this. i kind of wanted a used truck for work since i do a lot of infiltration test, borings, and other poo poo that would be way easier to throw in a bed than gently caress up our a hatchback. and something small and narrow that i can maneuver and parallel park in tight rear end spots easily. but all the trucks nmnow are like loving wide lifted-expeditions SUVs with a small bed attached and it's just absurdly stupid. gimme the tiniest loving cab possible, a small 2-seater bench seat with nothing behind it, narrow as possible, and a normal 80s-length bed and that'd be perfect.

have you considered a Kei truck

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s important not too take to hard a stance against cars in the I hate cars thread

maybe your job requires a cars.

it is ok you are forgiven. kanye absolves you if your sinful ways. you are bathed in the light of the righteous and will be rewarded in heavan for sharing the knowledge of Better Cars

the 2021 Kia Sedona is like the aoc of cars. it’s smooth and stylish lines remind the driver that a better world is possible while the sporty V6 twin turbo provides the power necessary to break through the toughest political impediments. with the Kia Sedona you are protected by the highest rated nhtsa safety ratings ensuring that you and your squad never have to worry about dangerous other Cars. and, with available all wheel drive and ecoboost, you can rest easy knowing that the 2021 Kia Sedona is also very fuel officiant!

so what are YOU waiting for? hurry down to your local tristate kia-mazda-chevy dealer today and VOTE for the only progressive midsized compact sport utility wagon guaranteed to hold the automotive industry accountable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

have you considered a Kei truck

that would literally be ideal, it is the perfect truck. but i dont think they sell them in the states or street legal, idk

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

that would literally be ideal, it is the perfect truck. but i dont think they sell them in the states or street legal, idk

nah theyre around, some Instagram influencer in Miami has one

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You just need to find the closest importer. They're fine to drive in the US

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

you can bike or take the bus to nature and if you can't handle that well then gently caress u sir

Ironically, if you go to yosemite, yellowstone, zion, etc during peak travel season, you'll get loving stuck in traffic jams within the parks... It's ridiculous and kinda disgusting.

Last time I was at Zion, they highly recommended taking shuttle buses into the parks instead of driving in. Each of these parks has a little town outside the gates and they all run shuttles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Polo-Rican posted:

Ironically, if you go to yosemite, yellowstone, zion, etc during peak travel season, you'll get loving stuck in traffic jams within the parks... It's ridiculous and kinda disgusting.

Last time I was at Zion, they highly recommended taking shuttle buses into the parks instead of driving in. Each of these parks has a little town outside the gates and they all run shuttles.

i rode on a snow bus into yellowstone when i went winter camping, it was rad as hell