Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nonresident ownership in Toronto is 3.4% from all countries including the US lol, China is not the reason our real estate is expensive. Vancouver is 4.8%. That idea was always at least partially rooted in xenophobia but it’s interesting how it’s changed from Hong Kong specifically to China in general.

Edit: that’s not to say that we shouldn’t ban nonresident ownership, but limiting investment from China just won’t do much on its own. There are lots of other good ideas like 60% minimum down payment on second homes and even restrictions on inter-city buying.

Starks fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 5, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Starks posted:

Nonresident ownership in Toronto is 3.4% from all countries including the US lol, China is not the reason our real estate is expensive. Vancouver is 4.8%. That idea was always at least partially rooted in xenophobia but it’s interesting how it’s changed from Hong Kong specifically to China in general.

Edit: that’s not to say that we shouldn’t ban nonresident ownership, but limiting investment from China just won’t do much on its own. There are lots of other good ideas like 60% minimum down payment on second homes and even restrictions on inter-city buying.

we absolutely should ban non resident ownership but yeah, our problems come from our policy choices not from others

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is more a topic for the Canadian debt thread but 'nonresident' doesn't mean a whole lot when permanent residency can be bought and there's a burgeoning supply of foreign millionaires looking for safe havens.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Which one of these countries is on the decline? It's not the one run by a senile gerontocracy that just got it's rear end kicked out of the graveyard of empires?

China may be horribly destructive and lovely, but it's nothing compared to the US and it's vassal states (that's us), and certainly not the power that's currently in major decline.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Which one of these countries is on the decline? It's not the one run by a senile gerontocracy that just got it's rear end kicked out of the graveyard of empires?

China may be horribly destructive and lovely, but it's nothing compared to the US and it's vassal states (that's us), and certainly not the power that's currently in major decline.

Oddly reminiscent of the Porfiriato in Mexico where by the time of the revolution it had all of its key positions staffed by stagnant old men.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
love reading exclusively about China - US relations in the CanPol thread

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1445426188802011140

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

eXXon posted:

This is more a topic for the Canadian debt thread but 'nonresident' doesn't mean a whole lot when permanent residency can be bought and there's a burgeoning supply of foreign millionaires looking for safe havens.

Care to back that up? As far as I know we do not have an EB-5 style program any more and you still have to live in Canada a certain number of days to maintain residency. A family member of mine lost theirs for being abroad at school too long. Maybe there’s a loophole I’m not aware of.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

enki42 posted:

I get how this can be irritating, but both of these countries are major trading partners with us, and their economic and political decisions affect us directly in a lot of ways. It's just something we can only react to, we can't be very pro-active about what these countries do cause we're not them, and we have barely any influence over them. Whereas at least with our own government we can vote or protest etc. to try and directly sway them.

China isn't in decline, yet, but they're on the precipice, and it's not some economic or political theory, it's the simple fact that they have a massive demographics issue rapidly approaching which is clearly illustrated here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_China#/media/File:China_sex_by_age_20201101.png

The 1 child policy backfired in 2 ways. They are very close to having too many retired folks for their workers to support, and there 35 million more men than there are women. So it's almost an entire Canada's worth of men who will not find partners unless they become polygamous. Certainly a chunk of that are homosexual but even if 20% were that's still tens of millions of forever-single men left. All the other economic issues China has right now have potential solutions that might hurt but a command economy can probably wriggle it's way out of them. But these demographic issues are inescapable and extremely dangerous.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Orthanc6 posted:

I get how this can be irritating, but both of these countries are major trading partners with us, and their economic and political decisions affect us directly in a lot of ways. It's just something we can only react to, we can't be very pro-active about what these countries do cause we're not them, and we have barely any influence over them. Whereas at least with our own government we can vote or protest etc. to try and directly sway them.

China isn't in decline, yet, but they're on the precipice, and it's not some economic or political theory, it's the simple fact that they have a massive demographics issue rapidly approaching which is clearly illustrated here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_China#/media/File:China_sex_by_age_20201101.png

The 1 child policy backfired in 2 ways. They are very close to having too many retired folks for their workers to support, and there 35 million more men than there are women. So it's almost an entire Canada's worth of men who will not find partners unless they become polygamous. Certainly a chunk of that are homosexual but even if 20% were that's still tens of millions of forever-single men left. All the other economic issues China has right now have potential solutions that might hurt but a command economy can probably wriggle it's way out of them. But these demographic issues are inescapable and extremely dangerous.

I think the only people worrying about the gender gap in China are people outside of China. Certainly no one I know in China is overly concerned, in fact its forever-alone women that are getting more media play.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

lol famous last words

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

enki42 posted:

It's understandable, given that there aren't any China or US-focused threads on the forum. Weird oversight honestly if you ask me.

Ah, the word confident people use all the time, "believes."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Legault is currently using his response to the coroner's report on Joyce Echequan's death to deny systemic racism and boast about Quebec national pride.

gently caress him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starks posted:

Care to back that up? As far as I know we do not have an EB-5 style program any more and you still have to live in Canada a certain number of days to maintain residency. A family member of mine lost theirs for being abroad at school too long. Maybe there’s a loophole I’m not aware of.

The Quebec Immigrant Investor program was suspended pre-pandemic but there's still a Business Immigration Program and probably other ways of essentially trading cash for permanent residency. I don't think there are any solid numbers on the number of homes bought or owned by permanent residents or proxies but ultimately funded by foreign money (i.e. the students, housewives and unemployed buying multi-million dollar mansions in Vancouver[/url]). My main point is that even banning foreign home ownership outright is not going to completely close the door.

Is foreign money the primary driver of the housing bubble? Well, the debt thread is nearing its ninth birthday and while I think the consensus is closer to 'probably not, at least not anymore', most governments (federal and provincial) seem to not even want to know.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

how does someone even become a permanent resident anyways? do they have to submit some forms or can they just get a plane ticket and after 5 years be like "hey heres the proof i flew here on this date, i havent left, im a resident now" or what. i know two people that want to move to canada, one is likely able to get a job so they would just fly her and shed get a work visa i guess and then as long as she stays here getting that renewed she would be able to apply for whatever needs applying, but someone else i know is a more low level person working reception at a vet in the us, would they be hosed without a sponsor pledging to fund their lifestyle for 5 years until they can become a permanent resident and start working for themselves?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

how does someone even become a permanent resident anyways? do they have to submit some forms or can they just get a plane ticket and after 5 years be like "hey heres the proof i flew here on this date, i havent left, im a resident now" or what. i know two people that want to move to canada, one is likely able to get a job so they would just fly her and shed get a work visa i guess and then as long as she stays here getting that renewed she would be able to apply for whatever needs applying, but someone else i know is a more low level person working reception at a vet in the us, would they be hosed without a sponsor pledging to fund their lifestyle for 5 years until they can become a permanent resident and start working for themselves?

There a whole bunch of economic migrant classes but that usually means you have money. I helped my wife get status but that's a sponsorship thing

You can always come on a open work visa or a student visa kinda thing then apply later, it's about establishing obvious local links and intent to remain, but there is kinda an opaque decision making process :shrug: where seems to be a bunch of not explicitly disclosed criteria and internal decisions on who gets approved. Seems usually pretty fair though, if not exactly speedy which tends to be the issue

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Formity forms forms form.

It's the most bureaucratic thing I've ever dealt with in my life, getting statements, dating pictures, written and signed personal essay of intent, finger printing and criminal clearance from county of origin, biometrics for Canada, doctors assessment yet to come. Work history and income, employer endorsement.And roughly 50 pages of forms filled, that changed part way through our process and required updating.

This is for my husband. Been well over a year, he is still in limbo.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Quebec Investor Immigrant Program was a major back door. Plenty of wealthy used this and immediately moved to Vancouver and Toronto.

quote:

The data, which includes both primary and secondary applicants, showed that 57,935 investor immigrants who came through Quebec were living in Canada as of 2016.

Nearly 28,000 of them (48.3 per cent) were living in B.C., while almost 22,000 (37.9 per cent) were in Ontario.

Only 6,050 investor immigrants who came through Quebec (10.4 per cent) were living in the province at that time.

We now also know that there was heaps of tax evasion related to this as people bought property while also claiming poverty level incomes.

IMO though seems like the more significant source of wealth distorting local real estate markets likely came from Canadian permanent residents in Hong Kong (of which there are hundreds of thousands) simply buying Vancouver/Toronto condos as investments just the same as locals do. It makes perfect sense why they'd do so, as real estate in Hong Kong is even more expensive than real estate in Vancouver.

I agree that the foreign buyer boogie man has been dramatically overstated as an explanation for Vancouver's housing woes, though I do think we can say that it was having some sort of impact on the housing market. We know this because as soon as the BC NDP's Speculation tax was brought in, which made having an empty pied a terre property enormously more costly, suddenly overnight several major condo projects changed into being purpose built rental projects. From this we can discern that developers knew that there was a significant part of the condo buyer market that was oriented toward buying pied a terres, and significant enough that creating a condo product in the absence of that market no longer made financial sense.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Syfe posted:

Formity forms forms form.

It's the most bureaucratic thing I've ever dealt with in my life, getting statements, dating pictures, written and signed personal essay of intent, finger printing and criminal clearance from county of origin, biometrics for Canada, doctors assessment yet to come. Work history and income, employer endorsement.And roughly 50 pages of forms filled, that changed part way through our process and required updating.

This is for my husband. Been well over a year, he is still in limbo.

are you born in Canada or did you go through the PR system yourself? because I've heard they've been really a lot more annoying about letting PR sponsor other PR the last while :/

also covid slowed a whole bunch of poo poo down

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Legault is currently using his response to the coroner's report on Joyce Echequan's death to deny systemic racism and boast about Quebec national pride.

gently caress him.

A lot of people in Quebec deny systemic racism because they think the definition does not fit because no law are written in a clearly racist way. Of course, they also can't seem to comprehend that if 2 nurses were ok with slinging racist insults at Joyce Echequan, it means racism is at least tolerated in the healthcare system. The only reason those nurses lost their jobs is because there were video recorded and posted about the incident.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

are you born in Canada or did you go through the PR system yourself? because I've heard they've been really a lot more annoying about letting PR sponsor other PR the last while :/

also covid slowed a whole bunch of poo poo down

I'm Canadian born, yes, and yeah I've heard that too. But I believe our delay has more to do with covid than anything else.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

eXXon posted:

The Quebec Immigrant Investor program was suspended pre-pandemic but there's still a Business Immigration Program and probably other ways of essentially trading cash for permanent residency. I don't think there are any solid numbers on the number of homes bought or owned by permanent residents or proxies but ultimately funded by foreign money (i.e. the students, housewives and unemployed buying multi-million dollar mansions in Vancouver[/url]). My main point is that even banning foreign home ownership outright is not going to completely close the door.

Is foreign money the primary driver of the housing bubble? Well, the debt thread is nearing its ninth birthday and while I think the consensus is closer to 'probably not, at least not anymore', most governments (federal and provincial) seem to not even want to know.

Fair the first one def qualifies as buying a visa, I thought that was killed in like 2014. The second one is really just the regular economic immigrant program but you can prove you have a startup instead of a degree or specialized skills. Most rich people would probably have an easier time just going through the regular economic immigrant program. No money is going directly to the government.

I see your point about the use of proxies. I think there are some lessons from China's RE market about how to solve that but I'll move that discussion to the housing thread.

supersnowman posted:

A lot of people in Quebec deny systemic racism because they think the definition does not fit because no law are written in a clearly racist way. Of course, they also can't seem to comprehend that if 2 nurses were ok with slinging racist insults at Joyce Echequan, it means racism is at least tolerated in the healthcare system. The only reason those nurses lost their jobs is because there were video recorded and posted about the incident.

I'm sure "a lot" of people everywhere deny systemic racism for the same reason, Quebec is not special in this regard. A majority of Quebecers do not deny the existence of systemic racism:
https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1445434301412257795?s=20

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Starks posted:

foreign buyers prob did play a significant part in the initial bubble phase back in 2013 or so

since then it's mainly a narrative that justifies domestic speculation based on expectation of ever higher prices

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Foreign buyers just seem like participants in the fundamental problem with the system, which is real estate used primarily for speculation and investment over residency. Ban foreign home ownership and there's plenty of willing Canadians willing to snap up the property to realize their dreams of being landlords or watching their home value go up.

Literally no party is willing to touch this with a ten foot pole, so it's going to get worse for quite a whole longer.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Typo posted:

foreign buyers prob did play a significant part in the initial bubble phase back in 2013 or so

since then it's mainly a narrative that justifies domestic speculation based on expectation of ever higher prices

It's made the problem worse, but it's still a problem of our own creation. I know someone from China whose parents straight-up bought a giant home in Vancouver, which is something I'd be surprised I could ever achieve barring some crazy real estate collapse in my lifetime. They're not the problem (helps that they actually live in it), the fact that we let such an essential thing as housing be a market plaything is.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

enki42 posted:

Foreign buyers just seem like participants in the fundamental problem with the system, which is real estate used primarily for speculation and investment over residency. Ban foreign home ownership and there's plenty of willing Canadians willing to snap up the property to realize their dreams of being landlords or watching their home value go up.

Whoa whoa whoa are you saying capitalism is the problem?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Paper Lion posted:

i was sponsored by my partner, which had all the madness Syfe mentioned. Demonstration that they could support me financially, letters from friends that our relationship was real, photos of us together with other people, lots of documents, and about a year between application sent and PR card received.

another program we looked at but determined i wasn't likely to get in through was Express Entry, whose requirements are here. You get points for being educated, having work experience, being young, English/French fluency, and having educational/professional/blood-relative connections in Canada. But there are like a million programs!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

half cocaine posted:

Whoa whoa whoa are you saying capitalism is the problem?

No, of course not.

The problem is Bad Capitalism® (c. ???-present) created by our enemies. By coincidence they have a different colour for their branding so you can tell who they are.

we can do good capitalism because we care™! about y̶o̷u̵

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

i was sponsored by my partner, which had all the madness Syfe mentioned. Demonstration that they could support me financially, letters from friends that our relationship was real, photos of us together with other people, lots of documents, and about a year between application sent and PR card received.

yeah took just over a year for my wife to get her status

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

enki42 posted:

Literally no party is willing to touch this with a ten foot pole, so it's going to get worse for quite a whole longer.

Honestly, the solutions seem pretty simple. But lol if you think anyone's gonna do anything about it. We shouldn't be targeting foreign buyers, we should be targeting all speculators.

We fundamentally need to increase supply and reduce demand, with things like:

i) Massively punitive empty house taxes, complete with rewards for snitches. And if you lie about it, straight to the gulag.
ii) Sin taxes on rental income.
iii) Smart housing development. We all know what this is, not just condos and mcmansions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I feel like "Ban REITs" should be on there too.

Or at the very least remove the tax exemptions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think Trudeau knew the pandora papers were coming and called the election before because he is either in them or is directly complicit?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Shocking news

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...-forces-report/

Far-right extremists in Ukraine brag they have received training from the Canadian Forces: report

The study from an institute at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., tracked social media accounts of the far-right group Centuria, documenting its Ukrainian military members giving Nazi salutes, promoting white nationalism and praising members of Nazi SS units.

Centuria members acknowledged on social media they have received training from the Canadian military and have participated in military exercises with Canada. In May, Centuria organizers boasted to their followers that its members currently served as officers in Ukraine’s military and “have succeeded in establishing cooperation with foreign colleagues from such countries as France, the United Kingdom, Canada, the USA, German and Poland,” according to the institute’s report.

[...]

“The Ukrainian military’s failure to check Centuria activities suggests a level of tolerance on its part for the apparent proliferation of far-right ideology and influence within the Armed Forces of Ukraine,” the study warned.

One member of the group has received officer training in the United Kingdom’s Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, graduating in late 2020. Another attended the German Army Officer’s Academy in Dresden in 2019.

In the summer of 2019, Centuria came out in support of a rally held by Ukrainian far-right groups to counter the LGBTQ “Kyiv Pride” event. Centuria released a statement that it supported “right patriots, nationalists, conservatives and Christians currently defending the streets of Kyiv from perverts from the LGBT movement and their left-liberal sympathizers.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So he's still going after the "Canada helped Chinese spies build a bioweapon in a Manitoba lab" conspiracy theory?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So he's still going after the "Canada helped Chinese spies build a bioweapon in a Manitoba lab" conspiracy theory?

The theory sucks but holding the government’s feet to the fire on what was quickly becoming a big parliamentary/legal/constitutional issue is exactly what the official opposition SHOULD be doing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta starting contact tracing in schools and notifications of school outbreaks, what a novel idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ah, the Sword of Damocles, famously dangling above the head of some loving loser with heavily marginalized power.