Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
look man dave chapelle is really bothered about the way black people are treated in this country that is why he moved to the whitest part of the country and hangs out with joe rogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

A confederacy of thrones

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Lugubrious posted:

I forget what the exact term he coined for it was, "the (something) Knot," but he had a phrase he used to refer to the fact that he was having trouble figuring out an ending for the series that managed to tie everything up well enough to satisfy fans. This was before the show even started catching up to the books, (maybe even before the show began, I don't remember), and since he gave the showrunners an outline of the plot past the released books, what the show did is almost certainly the best he could come up with. Ever since the ending was so absolutely bad that it made Game of Thrones disappear from pop culture almost overnight, he has absolutely lost whatever waning interest he had in finishing the books and the last ones are 100% never coming out.

slamming reply even though someone has surely pointed out that this is likely the famous Gordian Knot cut by Alexander.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GRRM's stuff is fine, it aint groundbreaking writing but it's serviceable and entertaining given the genre :shrug:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
for grrm it is the gordo knot

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

i say swears online posted:

the first three grrm books blow robert jordan out of the water. i dare anyone to go back and read that wheel of time trash, it'll hit differently now that you're not in middle school anymore

the grating thing for me was the constant re-use of catchphrases, where in game of thrones i think i only remember the phrase 'as unnecessary as nipples on a breastplate' being run into the ground. jordan has a major prose problem

WoT sucks but the pro move is to read good fantasy/sci fi like Le Guin not possibly marginally less bad fantasy

I'm unironically bummed that I stopped reading WoT when I left high school, I was already starting to realize how bad it was but at the time I could have still had fun finishing out. Now it's just dreck to me

e: full disclosure i still read all sorts of awfully written garbage, but like an awful horror novel is like 200 pages whereas an awful fantasy doorstop series is thousands of pages and weeks of your life

Big Mad Drongo has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Oct 5, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

yeah if anything id say hes more like the architect (though not as how he describes it)
Starts off with some neat ideas, but spends too long on minor details. The engineers and contractors end up having to finish designing the building on their own and no one is really happy about it.

Hodgepodge posted:

slamming reply even though someone has surely pointed out that this is likely the famous Gordian Knot cut by Alexander.
I decided against it, because I doubted even goons would attribute that to some modern writer. (It's apparently the Meereenese knot, referring to him having written a ton of interwoven storylines in one location he has no idea how to untangle. Though having named it as such, I feel like he should realize the solution.)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thank you Gene Wolfe for writing un-adaptable novels

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
best to go out like PKD, hating cars and writing increasingly insane scifi

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i wish the new sanderson books weren't 1000 pages of redundant stuff because i didnt even check out the latest one. they're fantastic as to the powers and some of the characters but its so drat tedious

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The way I saw it described was that ~6 characters need to arrive in the city of Meerene, interact with Daenarys, and then all return to the main westeros storyline. The problem was the order of arrivals and departures and who is there at the same time and how they interact.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think grrm is good at writing for a fantasy author, i havent really read any other fantasy writers who do his thing of basically everyone kinda acting according to their internal character but the actual events end up going realistically awry and not to anyones plans.
plus i like the PoV switching stuff where you have stuff like cersei seeming like an evil genius to other characters, then you get to her chapters (which are some of the best) and shes a messed up lunatic who's gonna gently caress everything up.
i assume we woulda got the same thing with dany when tyrion meets her, we only see her from her point of view, he'd realise shes fuckin nuts. i even liked her mereen chapters, i think the arena scene is a great scene with tyrion almost getting fed to lions offscreen without dany knowing who he is, her bodyguard accidentally eating the poison meant for her, and some culture shock shenanigans with her thinking gladiators are bararic and everyone else thinking her dragon is barbaric, and its all left for you to mostly figure out yourself.
plus there being a lot of twists and misdirections that encourage you to reread the books since they are all usually heavily foreshadowed in a roundabout way.

his dialogue and characterisation tends to be pretty strong too, which is why Dunk and Egg owns so hard, as well as actually being contained little stories instead of something that will never be finished

by constrast i'm reading the Dune series atm and that has sections at length explaining to you exactly what will happen hundreds of pages before it does, and nothing unexpected ever happens. book 2 was okay but im struggling to get through book 3 cause im halfway through and absolutely nothing has happened

i didnt really get into malazan and i thought brandon sanderson or whatever he's called, who gets recommended a lot, was like reading a video game cutscene

e: i've read some leguin but not her fantasy stuff, i liked the moon anarchist book but i hate those kinda anti-endings where the book ends before the climax. apart from the climax where he drunkenly jizzes on a socialite ofc

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i love gorm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mastershakeman posted:

i wish the new sanderson books weren't 1000 pages of redundant stuff because i didnt even check out the latest one. they're fantastic as to the powers and some of the characters but its so drat tedious

Most of the main characters are suffering from some kind of PTSD but they go through the same arc of recovery every book in the stormlight archives series and it's very annoying.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think grrm is good at writing for a fantasy author, i havent really read any other fantasy writers who do his thing of basically everyone kinda acting according to their internal character but the actual events end up going realistically awry and not to anyones plans.
plus i like the PoV switching stuff where you have stuff like cersei seeming like an evil genius to other characters, then you get to her chapters (which are some of the best) and shes a messed up lunatic who's gonna gently caress everything up.
i assume we woulda got the same thing with dany when tyrion meets her, we only see her from her point of view, he'd realise shes fuckin nuts. i even liked her mereen chapters, i think the arena scene is a great scene with tyrion almost getting fed to lions offscreen without dany knowing who he is, her bodyguard accidentally eating the poison meant for her, and some culture shock shenanigans with her thinking gladiators are bararic and everyone else thinking her dragon is barbaric, and its all left for you to mostly figure out yourself.
plus there being a lot of twists and misdirections that encourage you to reread the books since they are all usually heavily foreshadowed in a roundabout way.

his dialogue and characterisation tends to be pretty strong too, which is why Dunk and Egg owns so hard, as well as actually being contained little stories instead of something that will never be finished

by constrast i'm reading the Dune series atm and that has sections at length explaining to you exactly what will happen hundreds of pages before it does, and nothing unexpected ever happens. book 2 was okay but im struggling to get through book 3 cause im halfway through and absolutely nothing has happened

i didnt really get into malazan and i thought brandon sanderson or whatever he's called, who gets recommended a lot, was like reading a video game cutscene

e: i've read some leguin but not her fantasy stuff, i liked the moon anarchist book but i hate those kinda anti-endings where the book ends before the climax. apart from the climax where he drunkenly jizzes on a socialite ofc

If you can make it past book 1 of Malazan it gets really good. The story told in book 2 is by far one of my favorites.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Speaking of soon to be fantasy tv flops, Wheel of Time is coming and it suffers from the opposite problem GoT did leading to the same result. With WoT it’s very obvious on reading that author Robert Jordon had plotted out a 5-6 book series. But when it exploded in popularity he realized he would never get this lucky again and decided to stretch the series past the breaking point. It was on like book 12 of absolutely nothing loving happening when like Gurm, he died with the series unfinished. And I actually liked the series at first but once you realize around book 5-6 he’s not going to do anything but boring low quality filler till he dies you lose interest and stop reading. So that’s another story of Capitalism ruining art.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Speleothing posted:

The way I saw it described was that ~6 characters need to arrive in the city of Meerene, interact with Daenarys, and then all return to the main westeros storyline. The problem was the order of arrivals and departures and who is there at the same time and how they interact.

an easy solve to this is to kill some or all of the characters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i cant fathom desiring money so badly that i would think six popular books worth of royalties arent enough and that i need twenty

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I decided against it, because I doubted even goons would attribute that to some modern writer. (It's apparently the Meereenese knot, referring to him having written a ton of interwoven storylines in one location he has no idea how to untangle. Though having named it as such, I feel like he should realize the solution.)

Meereenese Knot was what I was thinking of, thanks. But yeah, it's kind of funny he named it that and then...ignored the way its namesake was solved and decided to do it the hard way. Now that the ending he was trying to get to in the first place is so universally hated, he's satisfied with the oodles of cash he made from the show, and writes whatever stuff he feels like instead of finishing out the main series. Which I absolutely do not blame him for, because I would be doing the exact same thing

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Thank you Gene Wolfe for writing un-adaptable novels

I want to see an adaptation of Book of the New Sun just to see how bad they gently caress it up

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

i say swears online posted:

I'm assuming this series is the first generation of kings after the last stunted dragon died

I think it's been confirmed to be the Dance of Dragons, which is the cofnlict where all the dragons kill each other.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Most of the main characters are suffering from some kind of PTSD but they go through the same arc of recovery every book in the stormlight archives series and it's very annoying.

yeah i got real sick of it because it was pretty cool the first time they triumphed over their ptsd/whatever else and then nope, gotta do this all over again

at least with his other, shorter books they're a lot quicker to the point and he's so loving good with actual explicit rules for magic and then the reader (me) just not picking up on something important until it's revealed

the loving earring

indigi posted:

him refusing to touch the Important characters got real loving old. even the ones who are 'dead' like loras, the hound, etc aren't. And it's clear that people like loras's brother are going to matter (since whichever queen marries him gets control of the only food). you don't need loras!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

him refusing to touch the Important characters got real loving old. even the ones who are 'dead' like loras, the hound, etc aren't. And it's clear that people like loras's brother are going to matter (since whichever queen marries him gets control of the only food). you don't need loras!

wait, the Hound died? how? and how is he back?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

wait, the Hound died? how? and how is he back?

succumbed to an infection from a fight with the tickler, arya leaves him for dead. but iirc brienne sees (and doesn't recognize) him later when he's working as a a gravedigger

there's like 5 hints as to his identity, all of which are obvious. hound is dead but sandor clegane is 'at peace' and will surely return later

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

indigi posted:

In ASOIAF? Would never fly.

Also can't these characters just do a Zoom or something with Danerys?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

skooma512 posted:

It certainly ain't flying right now anyways

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

skooma512 posted:

grrm didnt kill a POV character in books 4&5, unless you count jon or catelyn which you shouldn't

edit: just remembered tywin is the major character who gets killed after the red wedding, its pretty much no one else. even the blackfish and a bunch of other ancillary people not in the show are alive (victarion, faegon's crew etc)

i think some of the new pov chars in 4&5 die but who gives a poo poo about them

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Oct 5, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Speaking of soon to be fantasy tv flops, Wheel of Time is coming and it suffers from the opposite problem GoT did leading to the same result. With WoT it’s very obvious on reading that author Robert Jordon had plotted out a 5-6 book series. But when it exploded in popularity he realized he would never get this lucky again and decided to stretch the series past the breaking point. It was on like book 12 of absolutely nothing loving happening when like Gurm, he died with the series unfinished. And I actually liked the series at first but once you realize around book 5-6 he’s not going to do anything but boring low quality filler till he dies you lose interest and stop reading. So that’s another story of Capitalism ruining art.

the middle of the series is so dire. i made it to book ten and gave up, then he died and i just read the wiki summaries

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its funny that book 1 of dune has paul being like "oh gently caress im gonna start a massive genocide", treating women like poo poo and being extremely callous and ruthless in a very "subtext is for cowards" way

then my version of book 2 opens with a foreword explaining to the reader that although you might have thought paul was a very good boy this book is going to be about how hes not as nice a boy as you think, and not to be too alarmed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you can make it past book 1 of Malazan it gets really good. The story told in book 2 is by far one of my favorites.

the march is great, and the following 3-4 books still stick out in my mind which is impressive given how long they are but i think i ran out of steam around book 8 waiting for the last couple to come out because I couldn't remember what the gently caress was going on anymore

respect to erickson for being able to turn out books those size on a schedule though.

galagazombie posted:

i will die mad about reading winter's heart, a book where nothing loving happens, except I think in the epilogue.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
GoT is an allegory for the fall and ruin of American empire and you're all to dumb to see it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Communist Thoughts posted:

its funny that book 1 of dune has paul being like "oh gently caress im gonna start a massive genocide", treating women like poo poo and being extremely callous and ruthless in a very "subtext is for cowards" way

then my version of book 2 opens with a foreword explaining to the reader that although you might have thought paul was a very good boy this book is going to be about how hes not as nice a boy as you think, and not to be too alarmed

also the chapter where paul is like 'stilgar, hitler's body count proves he was a punk bitch'

the weird thing is that a lot of versions are apparently missing that foreword, like mine. it's unfortunate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dreylad posted:

i will die mad about reading winter's heart, a book where nothing loving happens, except I think in the epilogue.

my final attempt was one or two books after that where i realized the entire timeline was slowing down. the first book's events took months and i think knife of dreams' 900 pages spanned a good 72 hours of in-world time

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dreylad posted:

respect to erickson for being able to turn out books those size on a schedule though.

Also he wrote huge portions of them on this thing

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

HootTheOwl posted:

GoT is an allegory for the fall and ruin of American empire and you're all to dumb to see it.

this.... checks out? sweet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tiberion02 posted:

this.... checks out? sweet.

danaerys represents obama's nuke modernization program

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dreylad posted:

the march is great, and the following 3-4 books still stick out in my mind which is impressive given how long they are but i think i ran out of steam around book 8 waiting for the last couple to come out because I couldn't remember what the gently caress was going on anymore

I'm only on book 5 and it's starting to get that way for me. There are certain characters I love reading about, but past those some of other character plotlines drag on.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1445139361578856455

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

she looks like Stephen Merchant

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

indigi posted:

she looks like Stephen Merchant