Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah... plus he has <1/3 of Xingqiu's damage scaling and you'll be building hp on him anyways. He's looking a bit like pyro Xinyan.

Even if he had Xingqiu's ICD I don't know who you'd want to use him with, there aren't cryo hu taos or cryo dilucs to really take advantage of him.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

pyro Xinyan.

Um...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No Wave posted:

Yeah... plus he has <1/3 of Xingqiu's damage scaling and you'll be building hp on him anyways. He's looking a bit like pyro Xinyan.

Even if he had Xingqiu's ICD I don't know who you'd want to use him with, there aren't cryo hu taos or cryo dilucs to really take advantage of him.

Pyro...Xinyan...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah as a new f2p'er with only a couple weeks of binging and enough rolls to finally get the 5* pity (which wasn't the featured one) It's hard to find any relevant info on team building just because our resources are so low. Comp just kinda tends to be whatever we have good weapons for and get leveled up as we're not going to have any even mid-level constellations so anything that wants more than the lucky c2(I have one) is out the window.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around carries vs supports vs off-field and all of the jargon and how they work together. It seems just raw levels and a little synergy can get you pretty far but it feels bad when the little guidebook of missions chapter wants you to beat floor 5 of abyss and that wants two teams. In the high 30's for adventure level and like the gameplay but finally hit the wall of only having daily stuff, or story quest to do to advance and fallen off playing a bit.

My main team right now is anemo traveler, lisa, barbara, and c2 Xianling with some subs in for cryo sometimes. My main 4 are all pushing 70 at least. Most of fights are setting fire with XL and swirling with traveler, or swapping between barb and lisa for electrocute reactions. Its kinda slow but unless something hits like an absolute truck or has a time limit, I can slog through.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The thing about comps is they're generally designed entirely around energy generation, and energy generation isnt functional until AR45 when you start getting fatter ER sands and substats. Pre-AR45 basically nothing works so you can play whatever characters have elemental skills you like and any 40 energy cost 5 stars.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

In the high 30's for adventure level and like the gameplay but finally hit the wall of only having daily stuff, or story quest to do to advance and fallen off playing a bit.

I am AR42 and I have a ton of side quests and stroy still left over. Only eve rayed abyss to get Xiangling, are you sure you have done all side quests for Mondstadt and Liyue?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they probably wouldn't make any pyro character as good as XQ since all the hydro characters need to be able to function as a one-off in a team. thoma is probably in a similar role to bennett, but specifically working with melee characters (from a design point of view, bennett should be bad with melee characters in a lot of scenarios because you can't move his burst, however in reality...)

it kinda sucks because two of the characters that use pyro reactions in melee range (ganyu and tartaglia) specifically can't use thoma's c6. using him with hutao means you can apply pyro before using her infusion so you can vv it, but the periodic dot from his burst will probably mess up vapes so i dont think it will be better than double geo.

the most logical pairing (lore-wise) would be with ayaka for a melt combo, probably paired with xiangling since the cryo resonance won't be much help here (this kinda assumed you can battery people with thoma, dunno how much energy he generates though), but i don't know how good that is in practice. ayaka freeze doesn't get good times against bosses so it might be a nice alternate build? i don't own ayaka so i dont know how a melt team would really play out.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Radical posted:

i remembered some weeks ago we were talking about our cards getting rejected when trying to pay through the game, i had the opposite just happen where my card rejected google play but went through on mihoyo's own payment processor just fine. genuinely no idea how that could even happen lol.

If I had to guess, it was a weird combination in the finger-printing from your device triggered different risk scores in their eFraud systems. This happens sometimes when you try to buy something via a referral link (Facebook, Instagram, etc) versus visiting a merchant website directly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Radical posted:

they probably wouldn't make any pyro character as good as XQ since all the hydro characters need to be able to function as a one-off in a team. thoma is probably in a similar role to bennett, but specifically working with melee characters (from a design point of view, bennett should be bad with melee characters in a lot of scenarios because you can't move his burst, however in reality...)

it kinda sucks because two of the characters that use pyro reactions in melee range (ganyu and tartaglia) specifically can't use thoma's c6. using him with hutao means you can apply pyro before using her infusion so you can vv it, but the periodic dot from his burst will probably mess up vapes so i dont think it will be better than double geo.

the most logical pairing (lore-wise) would be with ayaka for a melt combo, probably paired with xiangling since the cryo resonance won't be much help here (this kinda assumed you can battery people with thoma, dunno how much energy he generates though), but i don't know how good that is in practice. ayaka freeze doesn't get good times against bosses so it might be a nice alternate build? i don't own ayaka so i dont know how a melt team would really play out.
The melt team is very burst focused (not surprising for an ayaka team). You Bennett Q, Xiangling Q, Ayaka Q and who even knows who's melting who anymore. Totally nukes bosses because you're stacking two enormous bursts+bennett (I deal ~1 million to the array) but tohma doesnt really have a place on the team.

The best fit for his shield is I guess overload and he does kind of work with Raiden (due to 0 hitlag and expensive burst) but sheeeeesh building EM on him feels so wrong.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvIYAup1UA

MiHoYo teasing it's new game Honkai Galaxy Express 999 Star Rail at some online concert they did today for anyone moderately curious.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i totally forgot about raiden, i wonder if his c6 would apply to her burst or if the same reason it doesn't work with beidou would apply there. i think probably not because it can get buffed as a burst attack and doesn't use her normal attack stats for the calculation at all (so there isn't a chance they do the calculation as a normal attack and apply it as a burst.)

in practical terms bennett doesn't actually have a weakness currently so there isn't any way thoma could power creep him. at best thoma would probably be your second, worse bennett.

e. oh, i forgot about xiao. he would probably be really good there.

Radical fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 5, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thoma is closer to Diona that also gives you pyro proc. So a good mix of the things you want out of a support off-field character, especially since unlike Diona and Xinyan, his shield can have 100% uptime and decent energy regen at higher constellation.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Radical posted:

i totally forgot about raiden, i wonder if his c6 would apply to her burst or if the same reason it doesn't work with beidou would apply there. i think probably not because it can get buffed as a burst attack and doesn't use her normal attack stats for the calculation at all (so there isn't a chance they do the calculation as a normal attack and apply it as a burst.)

in practical terms bennett doesn't actually have a weakness currently so there isn't any way thoma could power creep him. at best thoma would probably be your second, worse bennett.

e. oh, i forgot about xiao. he would probably be really good there.

Nothing overwrites her burst. C6 Bennett can't either. You can have things accompany her into her burst though, like XQ's swords.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I kind of like Thoma as a potential Klee enabler, but I dunno if it'd be a step down from Zhongli. I've always liked the idea of setting up Klee melts with Chong's field, and double Pyro would help leverage his burst better. That'd leave the 4th slot for heals or whatever. Maybe Diona, Jean/Sayu, Kokomi, or even Qiqi, lol

At the end of the day, I feel like it'll come down to how his Pyro application works. His shield strength and damage don't really seems like much to write home about.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Note Block posted:

Nothing overwrites her burst. C6 Bennett can't either. You can have things accompany her into her burst though, like XQ's swords.

his c6 isn't an infusion, its a 15% buff on normal attacks. her burst likely doesn't count as one in order to get buffed by the catch and similar weapons so it probably just won't work with raiden.

Tae posted:

Thoma is closer to Diona that also gives you pyro proc. So a good mix of the things you want out of a support off-field character, especially since unlike Diona and Xinyan, his shield can have 100% uptime and decent energy regen at higher constellation.

as far as teambuilding is concerned bennett and diona are pretty similar just with different elements imo (survivability/resonance/battery.) bennett is just a bit better overall since he gets his attack buff baseline and the improvement for it really early in his cons while diona's is totally locked till c6. he get jammed in as a one-off if you're missing a lot of characters but i cant think of any team that actually wants to run him like this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

I kind of like Thoma as a potential Klee enabler, but I dunno if it'd be a step down from Zhongli. I've always liked the idea of setting up Klee melts with Chong's field, and double Pyro would help leverage his burst better. That'd leave the 4th slot for heals or whatever. Maybe Diona, Jean/Sayu, Kokomi, or even Qiqi, lol

At the end of the day, I feel like it'll come down to how his Pyro application works. His shield strength and damage don't really seems like much to write home about.

what isn't a step down from Zhong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yeah tohma c6 shouldnt work with raiden sadly.

So no atk speed mechanics? sad. I guess favonious lance is the right pick for him?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 5, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

attack speed stuff never made it to the test realm, so it was either fake or from a very early iteration

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Radical posted:

his c6 isn't an infusion, its a 15% buff on normal attacks. her burst likely doesn't count as one in order to get buffed by the catch and similar weapons so it probably just won't work with raiden.

Musou Shinsetsu is doing the infusing onto her normal attacks here, is what I mean, but yeah.

quote:

While Musou Isshin is active, the Raiden Shogun's Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attack DMG will be considered Elemental Burst DMG.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 5, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I kind of feel like they've been releasing a crazy amount of content recently. I play a ton and still am not totally done, I can imagine feeling totally overwhelmed as a casual player. What % of players have the kageuchi and hakushin ring blueprint? How many people have finished sacred sakura and the watatsumi priestess quest? And there's another island next patch.

It kind of makes me wonder what the average player's expected play patterns are. Maybe the idea is just constantly releasing a completely excessive amount of content so that normal players always have more to do. Or we're not expected to finish everything now and will have two+ slow patches after 2.2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

I kind of feel like they've been releasing a crazy amount of content recently. I play a ton and still am not totally done, I can imagine feeling totally overwhelmed as a casual player. What % of players have the kageuchi and hakushin ring blueprint? How many people have finished sacred sakura and the watatsumi priestess quest? And there's another island next patch.

It kind of makes me wonder what the average player's expected play patterns are. Maybe the idea is just constantly releasing a completely excessive amount of content so that normal players always have more to do. Or we're not expected to finish everything now and will have two+ slow patches after 2.2.

I definitely have big bunch of exploring to do.

It's really good because I can just go do fun poo poo whenever i feel bored

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

No Wave posted:

When I stopped playing there wasn’t much to do after the Liyue quests iirc, but since I didn’t do them then I now have a seemingly endless amount of content after my 8 month break. The sheer volume of !’s on my map can be overwhelming at times.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

Ive been super busy with work and I haven't really had time to explore watasumi or seirai :(

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

No Wave posted:

I can't remember exactly where I found it although I suspect it was the leak subreddit, but the gist of it was a report that 1.1-1.4 was all mostly backend catchup for the dev team which is why there was very little new exploration content (Dragonspine being a thing which had the bulk of the work already done; it just missed the launch window). However, that issue is apparently now fixed and apparently they intend to add more exploration areas every patch.

They probably tweak the releases a bit, which is why Inazuma is spread over three patches instead of releasing all at once. However, because of that we've had a good amount of exploring added every patch and if the pattern holds from the 1.x series (ie: a region "ends" at patch x.5 and then they increase the version number, Sumeru being 3.0), 2.2 could already be the halfway mark to when they release the next region. In the meantime it's expected that the undersea area the Watatsumi Island quest chain referenced will be an exploration space for a later patch, and Chasm has been teased as an exploration space for ages and may be part of the connection to Sumeru.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If they really add 20-30 hours of exploration/quest content each patch I'm going to have to stop farming artifacts or I'll burn out. Which isnt, like, the worst thing to stop doing.

I'd expected that about 1.0 to 1.5 but I never imagined they'd get this efficient at pumping out content.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 5, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Really need to keep doing the main quest so I can get to Inazuma but I keep getting distracted by a thousand other things each time I sit down to play. At least I should be able to burn through the dragon spine part of the event & the last bit of the quests for it tonight.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

there was an interview where they estimated 100-200m/year (USD I assume) to generate ongoing content. if you build the maps out as small pieces you can hand that off to the team that actually fills it with events. the character teams and event teams can work in parallel to this as well. its incredibly ambitious but i can imagine at least 1 or 2 more patches with new zones after next patch before sumeru drops. if they actually produce new terrain for every single patch in 2.x that would be pretty crazy.

liyue had a pretty low density of events relative to the size of the map, if sumeru was a similar size we would probably get it in smaller pieces over the year and each area would have way more events.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I wonder if this exploration event used player data for least explored areas. I ended up on parts of Dragonspine I had never seen before and finally got the tree to Level 8, and the Liyue portion also had me finding a lot of non-event chests.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Idk. I've been in that area of brightcrown over and over and over and would have expected stormterror's lair to have the most unclaimed chests in mondstadt. But maybe that area is just too much of a downer music-wise for the festival (I like it tho).

I had a lot of trouble finding all the dspine chests and am cheating both today and tomorrow to finish it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Time to load up on those potions that keep you warm in Dragonspine.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is the Dragonspine area near/include that symbol puzzle with all the pressure pads? that's one of the weird areas i stumbled on way later

the Mond area netted me one chest that was apparently the tipping point for 100% in Starfell so that was nice

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just a note, Mihoyo secretly acknowledges western holiday Halloween by having Hu Tao available at halloween :colbert:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Time to load up on those potions that keep you warm in Dragonspine.

Goulash, my comrade.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

If they really add 20-30 hours of exploration/quest content each patch I'm going to have to stop farming artifacts or I'll burn out. Which isnt, like, the worst thing to stop doing.

My ten pulls to get Sayu were 100% justified just for the time saved on daily artifact runs. She'll never be in a combat group again once I get her card, but she's forever locked in as my fourth slot for my overworld group.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

is the Dragonspine area near/include that symbol puzzle with all the pressure pads? that's one of the weird areas i stumbled on way later

the Mond area netted me one chest that was apparently the tipping point for 100% in Starfell so that was nice

:same: It was in a loving bush by a ledge this whole time.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Do you guys generally get fully upgraded artifacts for each character or is there a point where you just swap?

I mean I don't really need a 4th Severed Fate plume at level 20 but I don't like stripping a goblet from 1 character and a full item set from another character and then realizing I want one of those characters. I should at least get 2 pyro goblets upgraded.

Mailer posted:

My ten pulls to get Sayu were 100% justified just for the time saved on daily artifact runs. She'll never be in a combat group again once I get her card, but she's forever locked in as my fourth slot for my overworld group.
Not daily but I love that ship on Seirai island

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They've gotta update the leveling system in this game at some point right? Adding local specialties to expeditions, giving bosses a drop that lets you change them to other ones until AR 36 or something since you'll actually be able to go to Inazuma by then and actually go fight the bosses for real.

Right? Am I just delusional thinking that they'll change that stuff?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

RareAcumen posted:

They've gotta update the leveling system in this game at some point right? Adding local specialties to expeditions, giving bosses a drop that lets you change them to other ones until AR 36 or something since you'll actually be able to go to Inazuma by then and actually go fight the bosses for real.

Right? Am I just delusional thinking that they'll change that stuff?

I feel like at a certain point they'll have to standardize boss drops and maybe have, like, local specialties available in limited amounts from vendors or something.

If for no other reason than if they don't in a few years they're going to be like "Play our game! Spend money on this banner! Get this amazing character you can't use until you play through 300 hours of content to get to chapter 7!"

On the other hand I suspect at a certain point they will instead just subdivide banners so that, say, all the monstadt characters get their own banner and all the liyue people do as well, to run alongside the character banner for anyone new added.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FGO also has the huge problem of ascension mats being locked behind literal hundred hours of story if you're talking about the very latest servants, but the "make-up" for it is if the servant is released within an event that gives those mats out.

The problem with genshin events is that they so far required pretty lengthy dives into the game already to even participate it, and also they don't give the mats for ascension anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I like the idea of having a trader in Mondstadt that exchanges mats for ones from other regions. We already have Liben's model, so might as well make him and his epic hair permanent. They can tweak it how they want to with exchange rates and even add daily limits. It won't be abusable for vets who want to speedrun to triplecrowned level 90 minutes after the banner drops, but players who aren't far in the story will still be able to progress at a reasonable pace.